Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - March 24

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-15, 05:30 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 3D & 2D Blu-ray (Pre-Order Available)
Posted February 14, 2015 02:03 AM by Webmaster

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment is bringing the theatrical cut of Peter Jackson's The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies to Blu-ray this spring. The third entry in The Hobbit trilogy stars Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, Ian McKellen, Benedict Cumberbatch, Luke Evans, Cate Blanchett, Lee Pace, Orlando Bloom and Evangeline Lilly. The film will be available via 2D and 3D Blu-ray/DVD/Digital HD combo packs, arriving on March 24th. Amazon is accepting pre-orders.

Also available for pre-order is The Hobbit: The Motion Picture Trilogy three-film box set, which includes the theatrical cuts of An Unexpected Journey, The Desolation of Smaug, and The Battle of the Five Armies.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Synopsis: Having reclaimed their homeland from the Dragon Smaug (Cumberbatch), Thorin Oakenshield (Armitage) and the Company of Dwarves have unwittingly unleashed a deadly force into the world. Enraged, Smaug rains his fiery wrath down upon the defenseless men, women and children of Lake-town. Obsessed above all else with his reclaimed treasure, Thorin sacrifices friendship and honor to hoard it as Bilbo (Freeman) frantically attempts to make him see reason, which eventually drives the Hobbit towards a desperate and dangerous choice. But there are even greater dangers ahead. Unseen by any but the Wizard Gandalf (McKellan), the great enemy Sauron has sent forth legions of Orcs in a stealth attack upon the Lonely Mountain. As darkness converges on their escalating conflict, the races of Dwarves, Elves and Men must decide: unite or be destroyed. Bilbo finds himself fighting for his life and the lives of his friends in the epic Battle of the Five Armies, as the future of Middle-earth hangs in the balance.

The Blu-ray release of The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies is presented in 1080p with DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 surround. Special features include:

•New Zealand: Home of Middle-earth - Part 3
•Recruiting the Five Armies
•Completing Middle-earth
•The Last Goodbye Music Video
•Theatrical and "Legacy" Trailers

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=16079
Old 02-14-15, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - March 24

I wonder when they'll re-release these with Atmos tracks.
Old 02-14-15, 06:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

If they do - but if they didn't now, I'm not sure try will. Maybe when the trilogy is released in a set.

Last edited by E Unit; 02-14-15 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-14-15, 07:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

not that I'm jumping up and down to own or resee the theatrical cut of the film, but not having the Dolby Atmos mix which was the definite highlight, is a total WTF? guess Warner's is holding out for the Atmos on the extended cut in the Fall (fingers crossed).
Old 02-14-15, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Won't buy any of these til they put them out in the right frame rate. (They could at least do 720p 30fps, would still be better than 24fps!)
Old 02-14-15, 08:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

will wait for the 3D extended...
Old 02-15-15, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I've got both versions of all the other LOTR films. I'll get whatever version of this comes with a Lego set, but I'm still waiting for a boxset of the extended cuts.
Old 02-15-15, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Won't buy any of these til they put them out in the right frame rate. (They could at least do 720p 30fps, would still be better than 24fps!)
In what world would 720p 30fps be better than 1080p 24fps? 48fps -> 24fps is an easy conversion (and theatrically accurate, depending on your theater). How would they even convert something from 48fps to 30fps other than to use 3:2 pulldown? That's not even taking into consideration the huge loss in resolution. I'm all for maintaining the original vision, but that seems crazy to me.
Old 02-16-15, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's not like the 24 FPS version is some sort of compromise either, Jackson did release it that way theatrically. I know, because I saw it. I looked fine.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 02-16-15 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-16-15, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
It's not like the 24 FPS version is some sort of compromise either, Jackson did release it that way theatrically. I know, because I saw it. I looked fine.
Didn't know you were in the movie.
Old 02-16-15, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wish . I'm still holding out for the inevitable big boxed set of all six, maybe they'll finally keep ALL of the damned extras. I'm guessing the BOTFA EE will be in December, so maybe the boxed set will be next year? Hopefully early. I can't imagine they'll pass up the opportunity to bundle everything together, but I doubt they'll do more than include the EE discs, so the hope that they'll include the TC extras or fix the green on FOTR is probably a pipe dream, but hey, I can hope. I can't imagine there's been any official line, but like I said, I'd be foolish not to do one.
Old 02-16-15, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

I hope there's a box set EXACTLY like the Blu-ray EE Trilogy, with the gold accents, etc., so they will match. Haven't purchased any of these movies yet, and I'm getting anxious. Very anxious.
Old 02-17-15, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I hope there's a box set EXACTLY like the Blu-ray EE Trilogy, with the gold accents, etc., so they will match. Haven't purchased any of these movies yet, and I'm getting anxious. Very anxious.
This. When we get a boxset of the EE's (hopefully in time for Christmas) for the Hobbits, they can go ahead and take my money then. In the meantime, I'll redbox Five Armies and that's it (like I did for DOS).
Old 02-17-15, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Extended for me.
Old 02-17-15, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The earliest we would see a box set for the EE's is next year. But, yeah, I've waited this long, so it's not going to hurt to wait a little longer.
Old 02-19-15, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know there'll be a boxed set of the EEs, what I'm wondering about is a boxed set of all six films with UV EEs. And God willing, all of the extras, though I'm still sure they'll manage to omit the theatrical ones somehow.
Old 02-19-15, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If y'all are gonna wait, may as well wait for a mega box set with all six movies. Jackson has expressed interest in converting the LOTR films to 3D so I wouldn't be surprised if he also remixes them in Atmos and also re-issues the Hobbit films in Dolby Atmos as well.

Unless, WB decides to re-release the Hobbit films under their Diamond Luxe line and add Dolby Atmos while excluding the 3D presentations.
Old 02-19-15, 07:15 PM
Banned by request

I'm not holding my breath we'll get any more of these movies with Atmos. It would be nice, but at this point, I don't see WB doing much more with these two sagas. Bundled in a pretty box set yes, but the content will remain the same.
Old 02-19-15, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Given WB claiming to be fully on board with Atmos (enough for them to re-issue Gravity) and doubtlessly not passing up an opportunity to milk even more money from this franchise, it just might happen. What they would never do is remaster a movie whose previous BD had mediocre picture quality (I'm looking at you The Dark Knight).
Old 02-19-15, 07:57 PM
Banned by request

It's WB - they'll pass on plenty of opportunity. Their history has proven that, despite their upgrade to Atmos on Gravity. I haven't heard anymore titles announced for upgrades. But I would love The Dark Knight upgraded, as well as a remastered picture, but we haven't even gotten the picture upgrade. Okay, now I'm pissed at WB. Again.
Old 02-19-15, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I know there'll be a boxed set of the EEs, what I'm wondering about is a boxed set of all six films with UV EEs. And God willing, all of the extras, though I'm still sure they'll manage to omit the theatrical ones somehow.
Probably looking at mid to late 2017 for this set. Depending on Jackson's idea of creating a respectable 6-film collection and possibly more extras being piled on (there are several hours of deleted scenes from LOTR alone, and having the cast reflect back on their roles, etc.), it could be later.
Old 02-22-15, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Fuck, since I already whored myself out to the theatrical and extended cuts of the 1st 2 movies, might as well do the same for this.

I can probably sell the UV code for the theatrical release for around $4-5 bucks to off set the cost. Same with the Extended release when that's released.

When all is said and done, I can't believe I will own the following by the end of 2015.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy theatrical cuts (DVD) and extended cuts (DVD)

The Lord of the Rings trilogy blu-ray extended cuts

The Hobbit trilogy theatrical and extended cuts on blu-ray.
Old 02-22-15, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
Fuck, since I already whored myself out to the theatrical and extended cuts of the 1st 2 movies, might as well do the same for this.

I can probably sell the UV code for the theatrical release for around $4-5 bucks to off set the cost. Same with the Extended release when that's released.

When all is said and done, I can't believe I will own the following by the end of 2015.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy theatrical cuts (DVD) and extended cuts (DVD)

The Lord of the Rings trilogy blu-ray extended cuts

The Hobbit trilogy theatrical and extended cuts on blu-ray.
I'm the same except I also have the theatrical cuts of the LOTR on BD.
Old 02-22-15, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I don't own any TC cuts of any of the Middle Earth films. EE or GTFO.
Old 02-22-15, 09:25 PM
Banned by request

Nah, I like having the theatrical as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.