Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

DC Animated Universe Films

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

DC Animated Universe Films

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-19, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Re: DC Animated Universe Films

Originally Posted by OldBoy
If Target site says sold out of SteelBook preorders again, that doesn’t mean in store pickup won’t go live tomorrow, right? Usually goes live on day of release and got to be quick to get...
Available for shipping and in-store pick up now.
Old 04-16-19, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

FYI, Justice League vs The Fatal Five is now on DC Universe for those who subscribe to it.

I'll probably check it out later today.
Old 04-16-19, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I feel like they used to be better. Now they’re very hit and miss with me. I used to grab them day one, but haven’t even gotten the last few or so. I probably will grab the Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles release when it hit though.
Old 04-16-19, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I feel like they used to be better. Now they’re very hit and miss with me.
This one has gotten exceptionally good reviews in my geeky animation circles. I’m really looking forward to it, and I would’ve bought it day one if the Ultra HD Blu-ray price was a little lower. I’ve gotten too spoiled to getting ‘em on eBay shortly after release for $10-$12.
Old 04-16-19, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The remaining media customers are going to get gouged going forward.
It wasn’t that long ago that the steelbooks were $16.99 or $17.99 on release day. I’ve got a dilemma now. I’ve purchased all the steelbooks so far (minus the second Adam West one) so the OCD collector in me feels like I need to continue buying them but the higher prices and lesser quality of the releases makes me want to give up on collecting these.
Old 04-16-19, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 186 Posts

This was pretty good. Especially liked use of the 90s Superman animated theme for supes and the return to the classic costume. Animation in places was great and never a problem. 7/10

Have gotten all the steels from the last 3 years. Was on the fence about having this be my breaking point but decided against it since I’ll definitely want Hush, the tmnt one, Wonder Woman, and the rumored red son for sure. Glad I put off ending my collection. This was worth it.
Old 04-17-19, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

It wasn’t that long ago that the steelbooks were $16.99 or $17.99 on release day. I’ve got a dilemma now. I’ve purchased all the steelbooks so far (minus the second Adam West one) so the OCD collector in me feels like I need to continue buying them but the higher prices and lesser quality of the releases makes me want to give up on collecting these.
I'm in the same boat, but have recently skipped the ones I have zero interest in (the two Adam West movies and that anime ninja one). Maybe it's time to go back in my collection and sell off the ones I never watched more than once. I'm sure a few of the rare ones would be worth the leg work. And at least I still have the digital versions if I want to revisit.
Old 04-19-19, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The last one I picked up was Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay. I think I’ve only missed the two Superman releases since then. I was sort of waiting for the combined release for those two though. I haven’t gotten out yet this week for this latest Justice League release.
Old 04-19-19, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

I missed out on a ton of steelbooks so I'm no longer inclined to get them all, but I love the Legion so picked up this one. However I'll probably never open it because I can just watch it on DC Universe. It's a sickness.
Old 04-19-19, 01:26 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I got all of them, including all steelbooks and all of the ones that came in with a figure.

As for JL vs FF, I liked it, but it felt like a violent episode of JLU and not a movie itself. By the way, I read online that this film and the Batman and Harley one are considered part of the DCAU/Timmverse
Old 04-19-19, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I got all of them, including all steelbooks and all of the ones that came in with a figure.

As for JL vs FF, I liked it, but it felt like a violent episode of JLU and not a movie itself. By the way, I read online that this film and the Batman and Harley one are considered part of the DCAU/Timmverse
I was just going to ask a similar question, how "adult" is this movie? Like is it absolutely not appropriate for kids like the Suicide Squad one?
Old 04-19-19, 04:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig
I was just going to ask a similar question, how "adult" is this movie? Like is it absolutely not appropriate for kids like the Suicide Squad one?
There are several bloody murders in the movie and the new Green Lantern says shit at least once. There was another scene where one of the Fatal Five said something close to fuck, but changed the word to something else to not make it so obvious.

The film looks like a spiritual successor to JLU but it has its share of continuity problems to make it part of that world. Some incongruities and a death in the spoiler below

Spoiler:

-The movie makes no mention of Supergirl in the future, where she stayed in the episode Far From Home of JLU, which is included on the BD release
- Hal Jordan is shown as a prominent Green Lantern. In the DCAU, Hal Jordan was only a GL from an alternate universe, not part of the world where these heroes live.
- Three of the Fatal Five have a different design than in the episode Far From Home.
- I hated that Kilowog was killed.
- Arkham Asylum looks completely different that any incarnation of the building in the DCAU

If there is something that this movie shows is that there are definitely hundreds of stories that can still be told in the DCAU. If the DC Universe streaming service really wants to boost their subs, then return to making new episodes of JLU. I believe that everyone that still alive from that series is willing to come back and do more.
Old 04-19-19, 04:22 PM
Banned

Also, saw the preview of Batman: Hush. I don't know how the hell they are going to fit all that story with all those characters in 90 minutes. If there's a story that deserves at least 2 parts, is this one.
Old 04-19-19, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If there is something that this movie shows is that there are definitely hundreds of stories that can still be told in the DCAU. If the DC Universe streaming service really wants to boost their subs, then return to making new episodes of JLU. I believe that everyone that still alive from that series is willing to come back and do more.
That would be incredible. Heck, even a continuation of Justice League Action free from the whims of Cartoon Network would be awesome, though they're clearly going for an older demographic.

There was a time when I thought they were trying for a kind of merged universe with Young Justice just because the character designs were so similar, but it seems like they're content just having all of these be loosely connected.
Old 04-19-19, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, saw the preview of Batman: Hush. I don't know how the hell they are going to fit all that story with all those characters in 90 minutes. If there's a story that deserves at least 2 parts, is this one.
Is Hush only a one parter? I swore it was two. I know The Long Halloween is getting two parts.
Old 04-19-19, 05:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike86
Is Hush only a one parter? I swore it was two. I know The Long Halloween is getting two parts.
Only one film announced, not a 2-parter, so far.

That would be incredible. Heck, even a continuation of Justice League Action free from the whims of Cartoon Network would be awesome, though they're clearly going for an older demographic.

There was a time when I thought they were trying for a kind of merged universe with Young Justice just because the character designs were so similar, but it seems like they're content just having all of these be loosely connected.
I thought so too. My impression was that Young Justice was connected to the DC shorts included in some of these releases, Under the Red Hood, Doom, and everything after Flashpoint with the exception of Batman & Harley, JL vs FF, the Killing Joke and Gotham by Gaslight. The animation was similar, share many voice actors and it kinda made a connecting story between everything. Seeing how succesful the MCU is, I wonder why DC hasn't done the same at least in their animation, but then I remember that they are owned by WB, who can't still figure out how to do a good Superman movie in the 21st century.
Old 04-20-19, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I missed out on a ton of steelbooks so I'm no longer inclined to get them all, but I love the Legion so picked up this one. However I'll probably never open it because I can just watch it on DC Universe. It's a sickness.
I’ll end up watching it because of the Legion angle. Kinda annoying that they use the Justice League and brand it as such, but I get how marketing works.
Old 05-05-19, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Justice League vs The Fatal Five steelbook is on sale this week for $15 at Target
Old 05-05-19, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Justice League vs The Fatal Five steelbook is on sale this week for $15 at Target
I’ll have to check my local store to see if they still have one. I don’t desperately want it, but I’d grab it for that price.
Old 05-05-19, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is that in the ad, or is it 15 bucks because it shares an SKU with the normal version and the normal version is that price? Because I don't think I've seen the steelbook in stores since the launch date (though who knows what's hiding in the stockroom... the employees sure don't).
Old 05-05-19, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Obligatory UHD and BD review for Justice League Vs. The Fatal Five. It's a nice steelbook.

Justice League vs the Fatal Five 4K UHD Blu-ray Review - DoBlu.com
Old 05-06-19, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is that in the ad, or is it 15 bucks because it shares an SKU with the normal version and the normal version is that price? Because I don't think I've seen the steelbook in stores since the launch date (though who knows what's hiding in the stockroom... the employees sure don't).
It's online too and should show local store availability

https://www.target.com/p/dcu-justice...l/-/A-54442896
Old 05-06-19, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's online too and should show local store availability

https://www.target.com/p/dcu-justice...l/-/A-54442896
Thanks! I rarely do this but for a 7 buck difference might as well return and rebuy, or see if they'll match.
Old 05-06-19, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Thanks! I rarely do this but for a 7 buck difference might as well return and rebuy, or see if they'll match.
Ditto. Thanks.
Old 05-06-19, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Steelbook is "in stock" at my local Target. However, after looking at the same shelf I just looked at, the employee determined it could not be found despite three showing up in inventory. Like he didn't even pretend to look in the back or anything.

Well played, Target. You get to keep my 7 bucks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.