Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

DC Animated Universe Films

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

DC Animated Universe Films

Old 05-13-15, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts
re: DC Animated Universe Films

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
For what it's worth, I had a lot of fun with Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts, which plays a lot like the late, great Justice League. Not quite in that same league (no pun intended!) but a return to the DC I once knew and loved. I just wish it were a weekly series and not a movie since...well, that's kind of what it feels like.
I might pick this up after seeing some decent reviews for it (including yours). I wasn't sure about it as it looks more aimed at kids and I believe the Batman Unlimited name actually comes from an action figure line. The only thing I'm not sure on with it is the animation style.
Old 05-13-15, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
For what it's worth, I had a lot of fun with Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts, which plays a lot like the late, great Justice League. Not quite in that same league (no pun intended!) but a return to the DC I once knew and loved. I just wish it were a weekly series and not a movie since...well, that's kind of what it feels like.

I was going to pass on this but your review has piqued my interest. Thanks!
Old 05-13-15, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Huh, I'm surprised there's another Batman animated movie so soon, right after Batman vs Robin?

What other Batman animated movies are coming up?
Well, this one is based on a toy line and not cannon (whereas Batman vs Robin is a direct sequel to Son of Batman and is connected with, IIRC, a couple other DCAU films).
Old 05-14-15, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

There is JUSTICE LEAGUE" GODS & MONSTERS coming in July.
Bruce Timm is one the Producers.
Old 05-15-15, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just watched Batman vs. Robin. Kind of dull, to be honest. O'Mara still sounds like he's sleepwalking through the role (I hate sounding like a broken record and I know I should try new things, but bring back Kevin Conroy or at least Bruce Greenwood), the sex, blood, and profanity still feel unnecessary and out of place, and the storyline feels all over the place. Maybe it's better with more room to breathe in the comics. Way too many cannon fodder villains to kill who aren't actually alive, the character arcs never felt anything but perfunctory, and the animation was kind of stiff. Either I'm getting old, or the action sequences pale in comparison to JLU.

Assault on Arkham was a little better, especially since it's basically a Suicide Squad movie guest-starring Batman. The heist movie structure is fun and kind of neat, even if it does disappointingly little with the personalities of the villains on the adventure, Harley and Deadshot excepted. Still feels like little more than a watch-it-once time-killer and little else.
Old 05-15-15, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I hate O'Mara as the voice of Batman. I don't know why they insist on continuing to use him as he really isn't very good at all.
Old 05-15-15, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As much as I love Kevin Conroy, he's turning 60 this year. I really wonder how much longer he'll be able to be the voice of Batman.
Old 05-15-15, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Voice acting is different than regular acting though. Most people's voices don't really change too much over time and a lot of voice actors continue for quite a while. He may not want to do it all the time and that's fine as I've accepted that he likely won't be the regular voice of Batman anymore, but almost anyone would be better than O'Mara.
Old 05-16-15, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I didn't realize they have released so many animated DC movies:

Superman: Doomsday
Justice League: The New Frontier
Batman: Gotham Knight
Wonder Woman
Green Lantern: First Flight
Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
Batman: Under the Red Hood
Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam
All-Star Superman
Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
Batman: Year One
Justice League: Doom
Superman vs. The Elite
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns – Part 1
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns – Part 2
Superman: Unbound
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
Justice League: War
Son of Batman
Batman: Assault on Arkham
Justice League: Throne of Atlantis
Batman vs Robin
I have everyone of them, 90 Percent on BR.

Loving seeing the comics I read as kid coming to life...
-Animated Movies
-Live Action Movie
-TV Shows (live action and animated)

Golden Age of Super Heroes.
Old 07-07-15, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So the Warner Archives Tumblr page has a teaser for some titles that are being announced at SDCC and it appears that we may be getting Justice League Unlimited on Blu-ray. Glad I never bought the DVD sets and held out hope that this might happen.

http://warnerarchive.tumblr.com/post...-international
Old 07-08-15, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts

I'm going to lose my mind (in a good way!) if JLU is announced.
Old 07-08-15, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I hope we get them.
Old 07-08-15, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't say this often, but I would pay just about anything (reasonable) for Batman The Animated Series on Blu Ray
Old 07-08-15, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think it'll happen because as has been pointed out in the past the way it was animated doesn't lend itself to transferring to high definition very well. Pretty much the only way to do it and make it look good would be to re-animate it. I don't think Warner would invest the money to do that and I'm not sure how I'd feel about that anyways.
Old 07-08-15, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How did they do those 3 volumes of the Looney Tunes so far? Did they re-animate all of those?
Old 07-08-15, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
How did they do those 3 volumes of the Looney Tunes so far? Did they re-animate all of those?
No, but those were finished on film.

The same might be true of B:TAS, but I suspect all the post-production was done on video. If that's the case, it'd at best be incredibly expensive to go back to the original materials and redo it all in HD, and at worst the elements may not even exist in a usable form anymore.
Old 07-11-15, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

BTAS, STAS, and Batman Beyond all original aired in SD. Subzero originally got released on VHS. They used a few digital effects in TNBA and STAS, and started coloring digitally about halfway through BB. But the first two credit "negative cutters" in the end credits, so it is possible that some of it was done on film, but most of the final post work was post work finally done on video, and probably videotape rather than DV, so except BB, the masters might not even be digital. The one exception is MTOP, which was given given a very limited 35mm release. But I think WB aren't going to be doing an HD master for that one, fans have been wondering about it for years, but the market and return on investment is probably way too small.
Old 07-11-15, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So Timm announced at SDCC that The Killing Joke is being adapted as an animated film. Should be interesting if done well, I sort of hope they make it two parts. I don't know if there's enough story for two films but it might be pushing it at the 75 minute mark too. Wish Warner would just let the runtimes on some of these go longer.
Old 07-11-15, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kevin Conroy had BETTER be in this...
Old 07-11-15, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For sure. I hope they don't go with O'Mara. Either Conroy or Greenwood would be great. It'd be nice to get Hamill as The Joker too.
Old 07-11-15, 11:08 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuck. They need to get Conroy and Hamill for this so so much. I hope the designs for this are great cuz I can see a certain design pushing this to look generic too.
Old 07-12-15, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
So Timm announced at SDCC that The Killing Joke is being adapted as an animated film. Should be interesting if done well, I sort of hope they make it two parts. I don't know if there's enough story for two films but it might be pushing it at the 75 minute mark too. Wish Warner would just let the runtimes on some of these go longer.
It was only a 46 page comic. I feel like stretching that to 75 minutes might be a chore.
Old 07-12-15, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

The Killing Joke is a pretty extreme story if they include everything from it. I have to believe they would need an R-rating even if they avoid explicitly showing a few things.
Old 07-13-15, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are the best DCA movies? I've only seen a handful of the Batman ones.
Old 07-13-15, 08:57 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

The animated adaptation of Batman: The Killing Joke is executive produced by Bruce Timm and will retell this classic tale in an exciting new way. It’ll also feature an original 15-minute prologue that helps set up the story, giving even longtime fans of the story something new to look forward to.

The other two animated films announced were Batman: Bad Blood, an original Batman story that features the introduction of Batwoman to the new line of animated films, and Justice League vs. Titans, another original story and the first of the DC Universe Original Movies to feature the Teen Titans.
http://www.superherohype.com/news/34...ally-announced

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.