Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

DC Animated Universe Films

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

DC Animated Universe Films

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-15, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
re: DC Animated Universe Films

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I know that, but having a character exclaim "What the hell" in surprise is a little different from having superheroes saying "shit." You could obviously tell that the censors tied their hands occasionally on the animated series, and I agree that hearing "What the heck was that" when you obviously know what the character would've really said is a little bit lame. But it's a far cry from some of the stuff they've shown in the DTVs with characters vomiting blood. I don't know, maybe it's just me. They clearly relish the PG-13 ratings and love pushing the limits and aiming them at adults, I just think it's a little much sometimes to have the camera linger while Batman blows a hole in someone's cranium with a gun in Flashpoint. I just think there's an upper limit before it becomes "Let's do this because it's PG-13, so we can get away with it!"
Meh. They have the ratings there for a reason and part of the reason why I think they've done well is that they haven't just made the direct to Blu-ray/DVD films aimed only towards a younger audience like a lot of people typically think animation is for. A lot of the stuff in the films they've done (at least the ones where Timm was still involved) felt more like grown up versions of the classic DCAU and natural progressions of the characters introduced on shows like Batman: The Animated Series.

I think some of the more recent output has been a bit darker and edgier and it feels like its being done more for the hell of it which I have mixed feelings on. I think the overall quality of the DCAU films has gone down a bit since Timm left.

Last edited by Mike86; 04-06-15 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-14-15, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Like always, the Target steelbook was a pain in the ass to get. The first store I went to was already sold out and the second one I hit had one left. I don't know why they only seem to get a couple per store.
Old 04-14-15, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I always make sure to get there before lunchtime and luckily haven't missed out on one yet. There must not be any flippers in my area.
Old 04-14-15, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Like always, the Target steelbook was a pain in the ass to get. The first store I went to was already sold out and the second one I hit had one left. I don't know why they only seem to get a couple per store.
Usually don't last longer than the first couple of people that try to find them in the first hour or so after opening.

Thankfully my wife was able to get there this morning before they had even put them on the shelves. Checked after she told me we had scored ours and the store was already reporting they had sold out. I suspect a couple more people currently in the store were looking for them too.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 04-14-15 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-14-15, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I gave up on chasing Target's steelbooks. Most stores have been wiped clean by noon in my area.
Old 04-14-15, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

So was Batman Vs Robin good?

Current top 10 of animated Batman movies?
Old 04-14-15, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger

Dunno, waiting on my order from Target.com to ship (preordered on March 5th), according to other forums should ship by tomorrow. I'd be interested to see if I do get the steelbook or something else. I did also go to a Target during lunch and they only had the regular copy.

If I was going to do a top 5 of Animated Batman movies (top 10 would be too broad and I might have to include the Dracula movie), I'd go with:

1. Under the Red Hood
2. Return of the Joker
3. Mask of the Phantasm
4. Dark Knight Returns Parts 1 & 2
5. Assault on Arkham (which is part of the universe but more a Suicide Squad flic)
Old 04-14-15, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, I've only seen Mask of the Phantasm, Under the Red Hood and Batman vs Dracula.
Old 04-14-15, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some of my list will show my bias towards anything related to Batman: The Animated Series, but my list would be:

Mask of the Phantasm
Batman & Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero
Mystery of the Batwoman
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
Under the Red Hood
Year One
The Dark Knight Returns Part 2
The Dark Knight Returns Part 1
Assault on Arkham
Justice League: Doom (technically a Justice League film but very Batman centric)
Old 04-15-15, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't realize they have released so many animated DC movies:

Superman: Doomsday
Justice League: The New Frontier
Batman: Gotham Knight
Wonder Woman
Green Lantern: First Flight
Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
Batman: Under the Red Hood
Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam
All-Star Superman
Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
Batman: Year One
Justice League: Doom
Superman vs. The Elite
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns – Part 1
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns – Part 2
Superman: Unbound
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
Justice League: War
Son of Batman
Batman: Assault on Arkham
Justice League: Throne of Atlantis
Batman vs Robin
Old 04-15-15, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Are they going to make more Showcase shorts?
Old 04-15-15, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I didn't realize they have released so many animated DC movies:

Spoiler:
Superman: Doomsday
Justice League: The New Frontier
Batman: Gotham Knight
Wonder Woman
Green Lantern: First Flight
Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
Batman: Under the Red Hood
Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam
All-Star Superman
Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
Batman: Year One
Justice League: Doom
Superman vs. The Elite
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns – Part 1
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns – Part 2
Superman: Unbound
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
Justice League: War
Son of Batman
Batman: Assault on Arkham
Justice League: Throne of Atlantis
Batman vs Robin
I have almost all of them. I'm missing Justice League: New Frontier, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern: First Flight, Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam, and Green Lantern: Emerald Knights. I'll be picking up Batman vs. Robin this week sometime.
Old 04-15-15, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
Are they going to make more Showcase shorts?
One of the executive producers said in the Throne of Atlantis extras that he's lobbying hard for it. I guess there's pushback from someone higher up the chain.
Old 04-15-15, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I have almost all of them. I'm missing Wonder Woman
You need to remedy that. One of the best ones IMO.
Old 04-18-15, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,188 Likes on 4,215 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I gave up on chasing Target's steelbooks. Most stores have been wiped clean by noon in my area.
I found a copy buried in the midst of a bunch of standard Blu Ray cases this afternoon at my local Target. Couldn't believe my eyes. They had it in the end cap with the spring mechanism where you have to remove each copy individually to get one in the back. Well worth the effort as a part-time Steelbook collector. Pretty nice cover as well.
Old 04-18-15, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, it's very good. I think most adult fans will like it a great deal. I thought it was a return to form after weaker ones like Son of Batman.

The title is misleading, by the way. They should have simply called it The Court of Owls.
Old 04-19-15, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Yes, it's very good. I think most adult fans will like it a great deal. I thought it was a return to form after weaker ones like Son of Batman.

The title is misleading, by the way. They should have simply called it The Court of Owls.
Since they want to sell product, they'd call it "Batman: The Course of Owls" since any current DCA title has Batman, Superman or Justice League in its title (even The Flashpoint Paradox which was a Flash movie than JL).
Old 05-06-15, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

DC is reissuing some of their existing movies, packaging them with hardcover comic collections:

BATMAN BLACK AND WHITE HC BOOK AND DVD/BLU-RAY SET
Written by various
Art by various
Cover by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS
On sale TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 1 • 240 pg, B&W, $26.99 US
Presented in stark black-and-white tones, this collection of the Dark Knight adventures features stories and art by stellar creators including Neil Gaiman, Joe Kubert, Frank Miller, Jim Lee and more. Comes with the BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHT animated movie on Blu-Ray and DVD discs, featuring six spellbinding chapters! Read the book, watch the movie!

THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN HC BOOK AND DVD/BLU-RAY SET
Written by various
Art by various
Cover by DAN JURGENS and BRETT BREEDING
On sale TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 1 • 168 pg, FC, $26.99 US
When a hulking monster begins a mindless rampage, only Superman can stand against the monstrosity called “Doomsday.” Accompanying this collection is the animated movie SUPERMAN: DOOMSDAY on Blu-Ray and DVD discs! Read the book, watch the movie!

BATMAN YEAR ONE HC BOOK AND DVD/BLU-RAY SET
Written by FRANK MILLER
Art and cover by DAVID MAZZUCCHELLI
On sale TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 1 • 144 pg, FC • $26.99 US
One of the most important and critically acclaimed Batman adventures ever! In addition to telling the entire dramatic story of Batman’s first year fighting crime, this collection includes loads of reproductions of original pencils, script pages, promotional art, unseen Mazzucchelli Batman art and more! Accompanied with the book is the hit BATMAN: YEAR ONE animated movie on Blu-Ray and DVD discs. Read the book, watch the movie!

JUSTICE LEAGUE ORIGIN HC BOOK AND DVD/BLU-RAY SET
Written by GEOFF JOHNS
Art by JIM LEE, SCOTT WILLIAMS and others
Cover by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS
On sale TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 1 • 192 pg, FC • $26.99 US
In a universe where super heroes are strange and new, Batman has discovered a dark evil that requires him to unite the World’s Greatest Heroes! Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Aquaman, The Flash and Cyborg unite for the first time to form the JUSTICE LEAGUE in these stories from issues #1-5 of the smash-hit series! Included with this volume is the animated movie JUSTICE LEAGUE: WAR on Blu-Ray and DVD discs, bringing Geoff Johns and Jim Lee’s epic story to the screen. Read the book, watch the movie!

JLA EARTH 2 HC BOOK AND DVD/BLU-RAY SET
Written by GRANT MORRISON
Art and cover by FRANK QUITELY
On sale TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 1 • 144 pg, FC, $26.99 US
Nothing has ever threatened the Crime Syndicate of Amerika proudly enforce—until a twisted mirror image of the CSA arrives from the flipside of reality! Accompanying this original graphic novel is JUSTICE LEAGUE: CRISIS ON TWO EARTHS, the animated movie inspired by the book on Blu-Ray and DVD discs. Read the book, watch the movie!

WONDER WOMAN: GODS AND MORTALS HC BOOK AND DVD/BLU-RAY SET
Written by GEORGE PEREZ, LEN WEIN and GREG POTTER
Art by GEORGE PEREZ and BRUCE PATTERSON
Cover by GEORGE PEREZ
On sale TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 1 • 192 pg, FC, $26.99 US
Collecting WONDER WOMAN #1-7, this volume tells the young Amazon’s origin and her introduction to “Man’s World.” Wonder Woman must battle the chaos of the Greek god Ares before he starts World War III! This set includes the animated movie WONDER WOMAN on Blu-Ray and DVD discs. Read the book, watch the movie!

DC COMICS BOOK AND DVD/BLU-RAY SLIPCASE SET
On sale TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 1 • $145.99 US
All six book-and-animated movie sets are also available in this amazing slipcase set! Each includes a hardcover book plus the animated movie inspired by the book in both Blu-Ray and DVD formats on two discs! This set includes:
• BATMAN BLACK AND WHITE
• THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN
• BATMAN YEAR ONE
• JUSTICE LEAGUE ORIGIN
• JLA EARTH 2
• WONDER WOMAN: GODS AND MORTALS
Old 05-06-15, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty good deal for the Blu-ray's of the films plus a hardcover collection. I have all the films except for the Wonder Woman one so I might get that one finallly but won't double dip on the others.
Old 05-06-15, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's an interesting idea, though I can't imagine how many people remain that are into the comics don't already have those movies. Maybe it's a push to the movie collectors and getting them interested in comics.
Old 05-10-15, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was watching the behind the scenes extras on one of these, and it looks like the storyboards are simultaneously done for 4X3 and then the 16X9 is boarded off the edges. Why would that be? They don't even make pan and scan versions of these, do they -hscratch-?
Old 05-10-15, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

For what it's worth, I had a lot of fun with Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts, which plays a lot like the late, great Justice League. Not quite in that same league (no pun intended!) but a return to the DC I once knew and loved. I just wish it were a weekly series and not a movie since...well, that's kind of what it feels like.
Old 05-11-15, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Why isn't there a Justice League equivalent weekly cartoon on now, anyway? Don't say it's because of the upcoming movies, considering Marvel has an Avengers cartoon (and a Hulk cartoon, and a Spidey cartoon, which kinda cross over with each other).

Or heck, just bring back Young Justice, please please please?
Old 05-11-15, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I was watching the behind the scenes extras on one of these, and it looks like the storyboards are simultaneously done for 4X3 and then the 16X9 is boarded off the edges. Why would that be? They don't even make pan and scan versions of these, do they -hscratch-?
That is the way it has been done for decades in animation, especially cheaper animation that may not see a theatrical release.
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
For what it's worth, I had a lot of fun with Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts, which plays a lot like the late, great Justice League. Not quite in that same league (no pun intended!) but a return to the DC I once knew and loved. I just wish it were a weekly series and not a movie since...well, that's kind of what it feels like.
I will be honest, this was the first DC movie I was thinking of holding off on until it dropped in price. The trailer didn't excite me that much, it looked targeted at a younger set. Your review will probably push me to get it sooner.
Originally Posted by fujishig
Why isn't there a Justice League equivalent weekly cartoon on now, anyway? Don't say it's because of the upcoming movies, considering Marvel has an Avengers cartoon (and a Hulk cartoon, and a Spidey cartoon, which kinda cross over with each other).

Or heck, just bring back Young Justice, please please please?
One is supposedly in pre-production for 2016. As you are likely aware, Cartoon Network hasn't been a very good partner for DC. CN wants cheap, disposable shows they can endlessly re-run in random 15-minute time slots. That is anathema to highly serialized superhero fare.
Old 05-11-15, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Huh, I'm surprised there's another Batman animated movie so soon, right after Batman vs Robin?

What other Batman animated movies are coming up?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.