Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

DC Animated Universe Films

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

DC Animated Universe Films

Old 05-05-22, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts
Re: DC Animated Universe Films

Annoying that the new Constantine short only appears there, with three shorts that were already released with features.
Old 05-05-22, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 842 Likes on 709 Posts

The new Constantine short serves mostly as an epilogue to Justice League Dark: Apokolips War, though after about two minutes is a solo adventure. The short itself isn't bad but obvious WB cut corners on the short's budget. Some of the sloppiest animation I've seen from DC in years. There's no attempt to match the character design for Constantine from Apokolips War within the short, so it's jarring to see the change to a newer and far inferior version.

https://www.doblu.com/2022/05/04/con...lu-ray-review/
Old 05-05-22, 06:24 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The new Constantine short serves mostly as an epilogue to Justice League Dark: Apokolips War, though after about two minutes is a solo adventure. The short itself isn't bad but obvious WB cut corners on the short's budget. Some of the sloppiest animation I've seen from DC in years. There's no attempt to match the character design for Constantine from Apokolips War within the short, so it's jarring to see the change to a newer and far inferior version.

https://www.doblu.com/2022/05/04/con...lu-ray-review/
Their animation has been getting worse over the years- when you watch all the movies back to back it’s easy to see. It seems as if they’re letting the computers fill in more and more frames until the characters barely seem to be moving anymore.
Old 05-07-22, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eric F
Their animation has been getting worse over the years- when you watch all the movies back to back it’s easy to see. It seems as if they’re letting the computers fill in more and more frames until the characters barely seem to be moving anymore.
WB outsources their animation to Korean studios and more "prestigious" movies like Batman: The Long Halloween receive higher budgets. The budget for this short must have been nothing.
Old 05-11-22, 09:53 PM
Banned

WB outsources their animation to Korean studios and more "prestigious" movies like Batman: The Long Halloween receive higher budgets. The budget for this short must have been nothing.
I finally finished all the films and made it to this short- you’re right, the animation is shit but the story is good. I find it impressive how well they integrated all the films and tied them together, going back to elements only brought up in one particular movie, as far back as a decade. I also find it interesting how they made a character like Constantine, who started out as a lesser DC/Vertigo character the hero of the whole series.

From this short it appears they’re rebooting the universe (like the comics) and have plans to make another series of DCAU movies that tie together. I imagine we’ll see Constantine again, probably the only character with memory of the old universe.

Last edited by Eric F; 05-11-22 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-12-22, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 120 Likes on 72 Posts

I thought the retro BLUE BEETLE short was Groovy. B+

Nice seeing Nightshade in animation and Captain Atom in his Silver/Blue with red trim costume.

And Dr. Spectro. He probably hasn't been in a comic in decades.

The following 2 users liked this post by will travel:
John Pannozzi (05-12-22), PhantomStranger (05-15-22)
Old 05-15-22, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I wouldn't have minded seeing an entire season of that Blue Beetle short. Fun stuff for retro animation lovers.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (05-16-22)
Old 05-16-22, 01:59 PM
Banned

I wouldn't have minded seeing an entire season of that Blue Beetle short. Fun stuff for retro animation lovers.
Definitely a Hanna Barbera style to it.
Old 06-02-22, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Teen Titans Go! & DC Super Hero Girls: Mayhem in the Multiverse: only, y'know, the Teen Titans are barely in it, and there's really not all that much in the way of multiversal mayhem. It's really a feature-length finale for the DC Super Hero Girls TV show, but the only way they could get it made was to tie into Teen Titans Go! and ride the Multiverse of Madness wave they knew was coming. I'd probably have enjoyed it more if I'd tuned into DC Super Hero Girls, but...oh well.

If you want some combination of Teen Titans Go! and mayhem in the multiverse, you're better off with Teen Titans Go! vs. Teen Titans instead.
The following 2 users liked this post by Adam Tyner:
IBJoel (06-02-22), John Pannozzi (06-02-22)
Old 06-06-22, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Green Lantern: Beware My Power is getting a steelbook, courtesy of Best Buy:

Old 06-14-22, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,744 Likes on 2,687 Posts

HBO Max just announced Batman Azteca. Sounds like for now it’s only airing in HBO Max Latin America

Old 06-14-22, 09:31 PM
Banned

It’s not like DC already has an Aztec character… Enough with the Batman already, geez.

Speaking of which I just watched Catwoman Hunted, and wow, was that bad. The voice casting here was terrible, Stephanie Beatriz is so miscast as Batwoman and a lot of the other characters just sound wrong with wooden deliveries.
PhantomStranger (06-19-22)
Old 06-19-22, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They nailed Catwoman's voice but every other character's voice in that movie was off. Beatriz sounded like an amateur as Batwoman.
Old 06-19-22, 05:43 PM
Banned

They nailed Catwoman's voice but every other character's voice in that movie was off. Beatriz sounded like an amateur as Batwoman.
Did they not audition her for the role before they cast her? Anyone listening to her could clearly hear how terrible her delivery is. She’s voiced other animated roles before, none of which have been very strong performances.

She’s just bad. I wonder how she keeps getting voiceover jobs?
Old 06-19-22, 07:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 959 Likes on 801 Posts

She was good in Encanto.
majorjoe23 (06-20-22)
Old 06-20-22, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eric F
Did they not audition her for the role before they cast her? Anyone listening to her could clearly hear how terrible her delivery is. She’s voiced other animated roles before, none of which have been very strong performances.

She’s just bad. I wonder how she keeps getting voiceover jobs?
She definitely has a...distinctive tone to her voice. I imagine she's fine for comedy roles but Batwoman isn't a lighthearted character.
Old 06-30-22, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Old 07-01-22, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 705 Posts

Question for those that read the comics...has Damien always been a dick? Having read zero new Batman comics in the last two decades+, every portrayal or anything I have seen makes it appear that Damien is a little asshole.

Hell, Jason Todd (Robin in my teen years) didn't seem near as bad as what little I have seen of Damien and the fans hated and killed Jason.
Old 07-01-22, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Question for those that read the comics...has Damien always been a dick?
Kind of? From the comics I’ve read with him, anyway, I feel like it’s more that he’s hyper-focused on the mission, outcomes, skillset, and efficiency as a result of his upbringing, with little-to-no awareness of other people’s needs or feelings. It’s not the sort of deliberate dick-dom of Jason Todd stealing the Batmobile’s hubcaps. But I’m definitely not an expert.
Old 07-01-22, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Question for those that read the comics...has Damien always been a dick? Having read zero new Batman comics in the last two decades+, every portrayal or anything I have seen makes it appear that Damien is a little asshole.

Hell, Jason Todd (Robin in my teen years) didn't seem near as bad as what little I have seen of Damien and the fans hated and killed Jason.
Yes, Damien was designed to have an abrasive, brash personality. The dedication and ability of Bruce Wayne, but raised to be a killer from birth by the League of Assassins.
Old 07-06-22, 02:40 PM
Banned

I have to laugh now. It's clear DC does not want to produce any DTV animated movies others than Batman/Superman, with an occasional foray into their other properties that appear theatrically (WW, GL, Flash, etc). Hell, in all these years we haven't even received a standalone Aquaman DTV.
Old 07-06-22, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

From what I hear, only the Batman titles really sell that well. Even the Superman movies aren't big sellers. So they have to package Batman prominently in virtually everything.
Old 07-07-22, 12:24 AM
Banned

From what I hear, only the Batman titles really sell that well. Even the Superman movies aren't big sellers. So they have to package Batman prominently in virtually everything.
I believe it, but with all the amazing intellectual properties Warner owns you’d think they’d be able to do something more creative. Even though not great films, at least Batman Ninja and TMNT Meets Batman were interesting. Loved Scooby Doo Brave and the Bold, wish they’d do more stuff like this if it has to be Batman all the time. Justice League Time Trapper is still one of my favorites.

Oh well, back to another retelling of the Batman mythos again I guess.
Old 07-07-22, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

will travel (07-14-22)
Old 07-08-22, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They took their sweet time with this promised release. It was originally supposed to be out in Q1 of this year.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.