Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

DC Animated Universe Films

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

DC Animated Universe Films

Old 07-28-15, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
re: DC Animated Universe Films

I tried to get one but they didnt have any at the Target 20 miles away from me. I did happen to find a Chappie SB though so bought it.
Old 07-29-15, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 169 Posts

Watched this tonight and thought it was just ok.
Old 07-29-15, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 313 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
That trailer is curiously in SD resolution. I am not even sure why it was included on the BD.
Weird - it was reading as AVC-MPEG 4/1080p on my player. I supposed they may have used an SD version and still tried to upconvert it.
Old 07-29-15, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 764 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Weird - it was reading as AVC-MPEG 4/1080p on my player. I supposed they may have used an SD version and still tried to upconvert it.
It was upconverted from SD resolution to HD. WB often does that for no good reason.
Old 07-31-15, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,116 Likes on 878 Posts

Watched Justice League: Gods and Monsters last night. I enjoyed it quite a bit for an elseworlds type of story. The voice acting was good and I was interested in the different versions of Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. I particularly liked how the film showed the backstory for each character. Wouldn't mind seeing those versions of the characters used again.
Old 07-31-15, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Watched Justice League: Gods and Monsters last night. I enjoyed it quite a bit for an elseworlds type of story. The voice acting was good and I was interested in the different versions of Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. I particularly liked how the film showed the backstory for each character. Wouldn't mind seeing those versions of the characters used again.
Apparently there is an online animated series set before the events in this one.
Old 07-31-15, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Apparently there is an online animated series set before the events in this one.
Forgot about that. Sounds like there have been three episodes made so far and ten more are coming out next year.
Old 07-31-15, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,846 Likes on 1,431 Posts

Wait the three online episodes weren't included on the disk?

Anecdotally, this seems to be selling well. I went back to Target to try to find a collector's edition with the steelbook, and there were no copies of any kind left, of either edition.
Old 07-31-15, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,882 Likes on 4,016 Posts

I went to my local store and found two Steelbook regular editions. Bought one for $16.99.

So keep looking, it seems that the later-in-the-week shipments must have included some steelies.
Old 07-31-15, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 313 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Wait the three online episodes weren't included on the disk?
Nope.
Old 07-31-15, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The 3 shorts are on youtube. There is also an interview on youtube with Bruce Timm about the series.
Old 07-31-15, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm betting if the next season gets released on DVD and Blu-ray that they'll include those first three episodes in that set. Sounds like ten more episodes are planned for next year. I wonder if this is the series that was rumored to air on Cartoon Network eventually.
Old 08-06-15, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
I'm still trying to figure out how these book+movie sets will work. Maybe they're really thick digibooks ... ? Since I don't own any of the "Batman: Black and White" graphic novels, I'll at least be picking up that one just to check this idea out. Might grab Wonder Woman, too.

The cover artwork for these reflects the current printing of the included book. Here they all are:

Interesting. Looks like these are full-size books with the discs included at the back in those non-hub style holders, making the graphic novels the star of the show.

Official DC video. Jump ahead 43 seconds or so.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Okty608w_yQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-06-15, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,846 Likes on 1,431 Posts

I know that they include some short as extras, but did they ever compile a disk of the DC Nation shorts? Or is Super Best Friends Forever on any of the existing movies?
Old 08-06-15, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I know that they include some short as extras, but did they ever compile a disk of the DC Nation shorts? Or is Super Best Friends Forever on any of the existing movies?
There are ten DC Nation shorts on Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts (no Super Best Friends Forever, though), and I bet there are more on the next one, Monster Mania.
Old 08-07-15, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
There are ten DC Nation shorts on Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts (no Super Best Friends Forever, though), and I bet there are more on the next one, Monster Mania.
That will likely turn out to be a correct guess. Animal Instincts was watchable despite having the feeling of being aimed at younger children.
Old 08-11-15, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, the Book/Blu-ray releases that came out today are pretty great. They're fairly standard hardcover presentations of the graphic novels, without dust jackets: the cover boards are sturdy, the page quality is fairly standard for DC's collected novels (thinner stock, I think, but suitable enough for flipping), and the pair of discs fit into hub-less holders in the back similar to digibook sets. "Black and White" also came with a digital redemption code for the graphic novel, loosely tossed into the back cover. Not bad for $15 whatsoever.

Snapped a few shots, with copies of "Death of the Family" and the first edition of "Long Halloween" there for size comparison:

Old 08-11-15, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Those are nicer than I expected but I have most of the films and trades already so I'll pass on them. Plus I'd rather have the films in an actual Blu-ray case for shelf display.
Old 08-11-15, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Watched this tonight and thought it was just ok.
This is the first one I wasn't too thrilled with either. Having it set in an alternate universe where Batman is a vampire? No thanks.

It sounds like they are getting back on track with the next release, Batman: Bad Blood. It will be nice to see what they do with Batwoman.
Old 08-11-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think Gods and Monsters was getting off track. It was just a different type of story than these films usually present. It was an Elseworlds type story more than a regular one.
Old 08-13-15, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was at Best Buy last night and saw all of these on an end cap. Man, these are awesome. It was fucking brilliant packaging these in with graphic novels. I really wish they would have done this from the beginning, because I would have picked them all up. I ended up grabbing Batman: Year One and Superman: Doomsday because I didn't have them yet.
Old 08-13-15, 08:48 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 638 Likes on 426 Posts

I saw them in a couple comic stores yesterday. They are beautiful. Despite probably owning all of the films and comics, I almost bought them.
Old 08-13-15, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I was at Best Buy last night and saw all of these on an end cap. Man, these are awesome. It was fucking brilliant packaging these in with graphic novels. I really wish they would have done this from the beginning, because I would have picked them all up. I ended up grabbing Batman: Year One and Superman: Doomsday because I didn't have them yet.
They look incredible and are reasonably priced as well. Despite owning every movie and nearly every graphic novel, I picked up three of them.

These are some of the coolest Blu-ray gimmicks in a long time.
Old 08-14-15, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't the standard size of a blu-ray package translate to the graphic novel part of these being much smaller? Seems like things would be shrunk to much make it worth it for the graphic novel itself.
Old 08-14-15, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Doesn't the standard size of a blu-ray package translate to the graphic novel part of these being much smaller? Seems like things would be shrunk to much make it worth it for the graphic novel itself.
Did you see the pic that gryffinmaster posted above? The graphic novel is the same size as a normal one you would buy in a store. That's why I why I was saying it was such a great value, it's freakin huge.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.