Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

DC Animated Universe Films

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

DC Animated Universe Films

Old 12-19-19, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: DC Animated Universe Films

Originally Posted by Decker
They've never had a DCAU exclusive before, but there have been a few other cases where Best Buy has a Steelbook 4K exclusive and Target has an exclusive Blu Ray Steelbook version. Maybe that happens here?
That's not entirely true

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Batma...191128/#Review
Old 01-19-20, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,418 Likes on 4,389 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
BB has the 4K steelbook exclusive this time

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/superma...?skuId=6393673
Did they change the listing? It says Figure, not Steelbook.
Old 01-19-20, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,177 Likes on 916 Posts

I kinda hope Best Buy messed up their listing and Target has the Steelbook for Superman: Red Son. Iíd like to get the Steelbook version and getting it at Target would be easier for me.
Old 02-08-20, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,418 Likes on 4,389 Posts

Still no word on a Red Son Steelbook? Wanted to get it in the Buy 2 Get 1 free Target sale.
Old 02-08-20, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Zavvi has one, as does Sunrise Records in Canada, if you're desperate (and don't mind 'em being Blu-ray-only). If there's anything in the U.S., it hasn't been announced.
Old 03-02-20, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Apparently this is closing out the DC Animated Movie Universe. Not that there won't be more movies, but they won't be in this continuity.
Old 03-02-20, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Iím fine with that. The movies that have been in the current continuity have been less consistent. Plus they still seem to be using the same New 52 influence, which is kind of weird to me since the timeline has been rebooted since then and are going to be rebooting the current timeline (Rebirth) again soon I believe.
Old 03-03-20, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 842 Likes on 709 Posts

The end of the terrible New 52 costumes! We'll get the real Superman costume again.
Old 03-03-20, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Yeah, seeing that costume pop up in the last Wonder Woman direct to video cartoon was really odd, to say the least.
Old 03-03-20, 07:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 959 Likes on 801 Posts

Looks fucking great! Didn’t expect an R rating. Can’t wait!
Old 03-04-20, 08:43 PM
Banned

Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner

Apparently this is closing out the DC Animated Movie Universe. Not that there won't be more movies, but they won't be in this continuity.
I was actually hoping that DC closed out this chapter by doing a Rebirth movie and maybe Doomsday Clock down the road. It seems that DC will focus more on classic stories for their line of direct to DVD films.
Old 03-10-20, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So any word if thereís going to be a Red Son Steelbook or not? I was thinking it came out today but I guess itís actually next week.
Old 03-12-20, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 258 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
So any word if there’s going to be a Red Son Steelbook or not? I was thinking it came out today but I guess it’s actually next week.
Yep, Target will have one for 20 bones.
Old 03-12-20, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Yep, Target will have one for 20 bones.
Nice! Definitely one I hope to grab.
Old 03-12-20, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Nice! Definitely one I hope to grab.
Grab some TP while there!
Old 03-30-20, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Didnít make it to Target until today. Mine had a bunch of the Superman: Red Son Steelbooks left. I grabbed one, but there were probably five or six more.
Old 05-08-20, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Received 1,087 Likes on 633 Posts

I watched Apokolips War last night after hearing good things and what a load of tripe. I'd seen Justice League: War and Flashpoint when they first came out and thought they were not great, but fine if you didn't want to read the comics they were based on. This was something else. Do you want to see your favorite heroes pointlessly maimed, mutilated, and murdered (which I'll spoiler below)? Enjoy horrible dialogue with mostly stilted delivery? Do you confuse "adult" with "mature"? Do you love extensive use of fart rock on your soundtracks and a multitude of cliched jokes? Then this is the movie for you!

The whole thing feels like it was concocted by a highschooler who just read Uber and was like "Yeah, let's do that, but with characters that are heroes to children". It is infuriatingly bad.
Spoiler:
Wonder Woman has her arm ripped off. Aquaman is cut in half. Mera has her face ripped open. Shazam has his leg ripped off. You see Starfire's intestines splayed out on the ground. Hawkman has his wings torn off. Batgirl's severed arm flies off-screen after she's attacked by monsters. Black Manta gets ripped in half. Superboy has his neck snapped. Nightwing is stabbed through the chest and then is resurrected, but has gone insane. Blue Beetle gets his head squashed. Almost all of these gush blood. Oh and then several heroes are turned into Tetsuo, the Iron Man-esque cyborg abominations.

Last edited by IBJoel; 05-08-20 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-08-20, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by IBJoel
I watched Apokolips War last night after hearing good things and what a load of tripe. I'd seen Justice League: War and Flashpoint when they first came out and thought they were not great, but fine if you didn't want to read the comics they were based on. This was something else. Do you want to see your favorite heroes pointlessly maimed, mutilated, and murdered (which I'll spoiler below)? Enjoy horrible dialogue with mostly stilted delivery? Do you confuse "adult" with "mature"? Do you love extensive use of fart rock on your soundtracks? Then this is the movie for you!

The whole thing feels like it was concocted by a highschooler who just read Uber and was like "Yeah, let's do that, but with characters that are heroes to children". It is infuriatingly bad.
Spoiler:
Wonder Woman has her arm ripped off. Aquaman is cut in half. Mera has her face ripped open. Shazam has his leg ripped off. You see Starfire's intestines splayed out on the ground. Hawkman has his wings torn off. Batgirl's arm flies off screen after she's attacked by monsters. Black Manta gets ripped in half. Superboy has his neck snapped. Nightwing is stabbed through the chest and then is resurrected, but has gone insane. Blue Beetle gets his head squashed. Almost all of these gush blood. Oh and then several heroes are turned into Tetsuo, the Iron Man-esque cyborg abominations.

Yikes, guess I'm skipping that one. That does seem like the natural evolution of them trying to, for whatever reason, push the boundaries with these to make them more "adult" but I honestly don't know who this is appealing to.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (05-08-20)
Old 05-08-20, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely sounds like they went overboard. I didnít think the trailer looked that great so I hadnít really planned on getting it anyways.
IBJoel (05-08-20)
Old 05-08-20, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yikes, guess I'm skipping that one. That does seem like the natural evolution of them trying to, for whatever reason, push the boundaries with these to make them more "adult" but I honestly don't know who this is appealing to.
What's weird is that they'll add all the gore they can think of, but won't develop the story to revolve around more adult themes. You can totally make a movie where heroes are questioning their purpose, effectiveness, and ethics, but they never seem to go that way. You can definitely make a movie where the Justice League loses in the opening minutes and then has to reflect on what they're doing, but I guess they'd rather go for shock value than actually develop ideas and themes.

I have to imagine it's aimed squarely at 13-20 year old boys. It screams try-hard "baaaaadaaaaass" in a way that demo can find really appealing.

Oh, I will say this: The plot itself is fairly similar to Snyder's planned 5-movie DCEU arc. So it's interesting in that regard as a peculiarity, but nothing else is really enticing.

Last edited by IBJoel; 05-08-20 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-08-20, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by IBJoel
I have to imagine it's aimed squarely at 13-20 year old boys. It screams try-hard "baaaaadaaaaass" in a way that demo can find really appealing.
...which sounds exactly like the New 52 reboot in the comics nearly a decade ago, which were lousy enough to make me stop reading DC books altogether.

I'll still probably check out Apokolips War at some point just because I've watched everything else (that and Red Son are the only ones I haven't seen), but I'm hoping for more standalone movies or maybe mini-franchises from here on out. The line's been frustratingly erratic. There are a bunch I think are extraordinary, and too many that fall anywhere from awful to forgettable. And it seems like it's been more miss than hit over the past few years.
IBJoel (05-08-20)
Old 05-08-20, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
...which sounds exactly like the New 52 reboot in the comics nearly a decade ago, which were lousy enough to make me stop reading DC books altogether.

I'll still probably check out Apokolips War at some point just because I've watched everything else (that and Red Son are the only ones I haven't seen), but I'm hoping for more standalone movies or maybe mini-franchises from here on out. The line's been frustratingly erratic. There are a bunch I think are extraordinary, and too many that fall anywhere from awful to forgettable. And it seems like it's been more miss than hit over the past few years.
What I'd love for them to do is just adapt unproduced screenplays of IPs, although I imagine there are both legal and financial hurdles to making say... a Darren Aronofsky Batman or Joss Whedon Wonder Woman. I remember a couple of decent books in the New 52, but yeah, I was really not into most of them. Bringing in the "best" talent from the 90s for a lot of the books was... regressive.
Old 05-08-20, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The one time I feel like they went for a different audience was the Elseworld's-esque Gods and Monsters, but they obviously have a lot more freedom in Elseworlds type of stuff (or really comedic alternate universe stuff like Harley Quinn). But I remember not liking that Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay one because it was over the top violent (with nudity) but there were a lot who liked it, so maybe even Apokolips War appeals to some demographic.
IBJoel (05-08-20)
Old 05-08-20, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I have to admit that I had a blast with Hell to Pay, although I didn't care for Assault on Arkham. (I wasn't wild about any of the ones that Heath Corson wrote, really.) But I'm a sucker for the trashy exploitation flick vibe that Hell to Pay had going on. Tone has a lot to do with it, in the same way that I love gruesome, playful '80s slashers but can't stomach more sadistic, torture-centric movies like The Collector.
IBJoel (05-08-20)
Old 05-08-20, 08:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 959 Likes on 801 Posts

Only 7 reviews in. All positive, but do mention the story is missing, but action and everything else makes up for. Iím keeping blu preorder. Extras sound decent too...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.