Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

DC Animated Universe Films

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

DC Animated Universe Films

Old 02-06-18, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: DC Animated Universe Films

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I have received more than one disc from Target in the same kind of "cardboard shrinkwrap" package as Best Buy. Probably because they ship from the same place these days. But luckily nothing was damaged. I'll probably still pick up an extra of Gaslight in steel if they still have some just in case mine comes looking like Decker's picture.
Originally Posted by Decker
Actually, every time I get a Target item shipped, it comes in a box with packaging around it. No problems there at all. It's Best Buy's cardboard mailers where the problems usually occur :
I've gotten stuff from Target with the Cardboard Shrinkwrap as well. If I get a box, fantastic..but I'm not counting on it. The only way to get a box these days it seems is to order 3 or more items. Even then it's not a guarantee. Also, that Kong Skull Island steelbook gives me the willies...I feel like I need a stiff drink of....sweet tea (I don't drink the alcohol, lol).
Old 02-06-18, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There were only 2 in the Target near my house. I asked the guy I know who works there and he said that was all they received.

Looks like the gouging started on ebay.....

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...lbook&_sacat=0
Old 02-06-18, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by mrhan
There were only 2 in the Target near my house. I asked the guy I know who works there and he said that was all they received.

Looks like the gouging started on ebay.....

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...lbook&_sacat=0
This person makes me want to puke...seriously, screw you...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BATMAN-GOTH...IAAOSw1RVaeee9
Old 02-06-18, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those "cardboard shrinkwrap" boxes can now hold quite a few discs. I recently had my initial Disney Movie Club shipment sent in one. Seven discs! Thankfully there was only one disc in there that had anything that could get damaged (slipcover) and it was fine. But I had never seen one of those things hold seven discs before.

ETA: Good thing I stopped by the store and picked up a spare. My shipped copy arrived in the typical cardboard shrinkwrap and the bottom edge of the steelbook was bent.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 02-06-18 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-06-18, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
This person makes me want to puke...seriously, screw you...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BATMAN-GOTH...IAAOSw1RVaeee9
If anyone is dumb enough not to check on Target.com first, it's really the buyers problem, not the seller. I'm against scalpers as much as the next guy, but Target still has them available for shipping currently.

I'm actually holding out until next week. Target is running a B2G1. I'm hoping to scoop it up for $13.33.
Old 02-06-18, 10:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

You know a year ago, maybe even half, I would be all over the Target SteelBook. But, none of these animated features really have any replay value for me. They are ok. But nothing I really need to revisit anytime soon. Except of course Wonder Woman animated. That is like one of favorite movies of all time. Now, $5 digital copy and I’m content...
Old 02-07-18, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
If anyone is dumb enough not to check on Target.com first, it's really the buyers problem, not the seller. I'm against scalpers as much as the next guy, but Target still has them available for shipping currently.

I'm actually holding out until next week. Target is running a B2G1. I'm hoping to scoop it up for $13.33.
I understand what you are saying, but I know a little while back these steelbooks were much harder to come by. That's why we have our tight little community who look out for each other if there is a need for an extra copy. The scalpers just frustrate me to no end.

Anyway, my steelbook did ship last night and within the metro area...so it should be here Thursday. Hopefully it arrives decent shape and this continues for future Target DC Animated steelbooks in regards to more availability. Sure would take the pressure off of things.

BTW, Good luck on the B2G1, you might indeed get lucky, I'll probably be sitting that one out and enjoying this one as well as my Twilight Time order.
Old 02-07-18, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy
You know a year ago, maybe even half, I would be all over the Target SteelBook. But, none of these animated features really have any replay value for me.
Well, let me know when you are ready to get rid of that Dark Knight Returns steelbook

Hell, I'll even swap you a new sealed copy of the movie with the graphic novel.
Old 02-08-18, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Good thing I went out today as my Target only had one of the Gotham By Gaslight Steelbooks left. I snagged it. I need to get the two I missed still (Batman vs. Two-Face and Justice League: The New Frontier).
Old 02-09-18, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Steelbook preorder up at Amazon for Batman Ninja

Amazon Amazon

Old 02-09-18, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

$29.99!!!???!!!
Old 02-09-18, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm also wondering if the steelbook is going to be an Amazon exclusive, or something like JL Frontier was where the steelbook was available at multiple places.
Old 02-09-18, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it's odd that Alfred is not dressed in Japanese clothing in that pic. I doubt butlers wore western clothing in feudal Japan. I'm assuming that's the Red Hood next to Alfred; he looks kind of stupid with that hat/mask thing. They had other choices that look more menacing.
Old 02-09-18, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damian (assuming thatís who it is, looks like him) looks goofy too. Way too happy for one thing and looks like heís balding or something except on the sides and with a little patch in the middle.
Old 02-09-18, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Batman: Gotham By Gaslight 4K UHD review for those inclined. This looks like a case where the improved compression makes the UHD the preferred choice over the BD.

http://doblu.com/2018/02/04/batman-g...lu-ray-review/

I'm passing on the steelbook version this time at Target.
Old 02-11-18, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fyi, the B2G1 is active at Target. I just did it with Gotham by Gaslight with no issues. It also works on the 4K version.
Old 02-11-18, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And a pretty bad 4K review. Not really sure why they bother.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Batman...193240/#Review
Old 02-11-18, 07:20 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Anyone see Gaslight yet? Thoughts?
Old 02-12-18, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Anyone see Gaslight yet? Thoughts?
I watched it on Friday night (my steelbook arrived in excellent condition btw)...pretty darn good. The mystery aspect plays well and I liked all of the clever nods to present day Batman in use of the characters and ideas. Well worth seeing, and possibly one of the rare ones worth seeing a second time.
Old 02-12-18, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by mrhan
I think it's odd that Alfred is not dressed in Japanese clothing in that pic. I doubt butlers wore western clothing in feudal Japan. I'm assuming that's the Red Hood next to Alfred; he looks kind of stupid with that hat/mask thing. They had other choices that look more menacing.
I'm more than willing to take liberties with Batman but that looks ridiculous. That depiction of Robin might actually be worse than Lego Batman's (which was supposed to be tongue in cheek). At $29.99, I'm not biting...maybe $20 (or cheaper)...but no thanks. I'll sit that one out or look for a digital copy.
Old 02-12-18, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kedrix
I watched it on Friday night (my steelbook arrived in excellent condition btw)...pretty darn good. The mystery aspect plays well and I liked all of the clever nods to present day Batman in use of the characters and ideas. Well worth seeing, and possibly one of the rare ones worth seeing a second time.
Yeah, it was good. I was expecting a direct adaptation but it isn't even close except for the setting, plot and elements of the follow up comic book story.
Old 02-13-18, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/08dHXfIprYE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Batman Ninja english language trailer.

Prepare to witness the Dark Knight, alongside many of his most famed allies and infamous foes, in an eye-popping anime display you've never seen before when Warner Bros. Japan, DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment present Batman Ninja. The all-new, feature-length animated film arrives on Digital starting April 24, 2018, and Blu-ray™ Steelbook, Blu-ray™ Combo Pack and DVD on May 8, 2018.

Batman Ninja takes a journey across the ages as Gorilla Grodd's time displacement machine transports many of Batman's worst enemies to feudal Japan - along with the Dark Knight and a few of his allies. The villains take over the forms of the feudal lords that rule the divided land, with the Joker taking the lead among the warring factions. As his traditional high-tech weaponry is exhausted almost immediately, Batman must rely on his intellect and his allies - including Catwoman and the extended Bat-family - to restore order to the land, and return to present-day Gotham City.

The visually stunning Batman Ninja is the creative result of a trio of anime's finest filmmakers: director Jumpei Mizusaki (Opening animation of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure), writer Kazuki Nakashima (Gurren Lagann), and character designer Takashi Okazaki (Afro Samurai) produced the original movie with Warner Bros. Japan. The script was then reinterpreted and rewritten for English-language distribution by award-winning screenwriters Leo Chu and Eric Garcia (Supah Ninjas, Afro Samurai). Benjamin Melniker and Michael Uslan are Executive Producers.

Roger Craig Smith (Batman: Arkham Origins) and Tony Hale (Veep, Arrested Development) lead an impressive cast as the voices of Batman and the Joker, respectively. Grey Griffin (Scooby-Doo franchise) and Tara Strong (Batman: The Killing Joke) supply the voices of the antagonist & protagonist's closest allies - Catwoman and Harley Quinn, respectively - while Fred Tatasciore (Family Guy) provides the gruff-yet-sophisticated tones of Gorilla Grodd, a villain who must team with Batman to achieve his own personal agenda. Other voice actors include Bat-family members Yuri Lowenthal (Ben 10: Omniverse) as Robin, Adam Croasdell (Reign) as Nightwing and Alfred, and Will Friedle (Boy Meets World) as Red Robin, and the Rogue's gallery also features Tom Kenny (SpongeBob SquarePants) as Penguin and Eric Bauza (The Adventures of Puss in Boots) as Two-Face. Doing double duty is Tatasciore as Deathstroke, Strong as Poison Ivy, and Friedle as Red Hood.
Old 02-13-18, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks surprisingly better than I expected.
Old 02-13-18, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Only PG-13? I'm out!
Old 02-13-18, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

That actually looks decent and english translation sort of explains how Batman ends up in feudal Japan.

I don't really buy these DC Animated movies as IMO they don't have much replay value. But, I will try to rent this when it comes out digitally.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.