Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk

HD Talk The place to discuss HD DVD, Blu-ray and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 07-23-17, 05:19 AM   #876
DVD Talk Legend

Re: DC Animated Universe Films

Not all that interested in another version of The Death of Superman. The first animated version wasn't the best and really simplified the story but I don't necessarily know that it's worth revisiting. I'll probably see it at some point but I wind up watching most of these.
Old 07-23-17, 11:38 AM   #877
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I'm not sure how this is even an argument. Man of Steel, Batman V Superman, and Suicide Squad were obvious critical disappointments, and fan reaction wasn't significantly far from that even if there are those that liked them.

As far as making money, well known characters like Superman or Batman SHOULD make more then Iron Man, who was then an unknown to the general audience. And just because something Batman V Superman made money, doesn't mean WB/DC didn't expect it to make much, much more.
I can agree with your comments, but IMHO "Struggle" means they lost money or just barely made any $$$.

Wonder Woman...made tons of $$$ and has 92% RT rating, which is better than all but 2 or 3 of the Marvel Movies.

Headed in the right direction...BvS could have been better, I would NOT have had Doomsday in it, they wasted him.
Old 07-23-17, 01:05 PM   #878
Inane Thread Master

how's Planet Hulk overall?
Old 07-23-17, 03:21 PM   #879
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
It's a pale imitation of the comic book Planet Hulk storyline. They basically stripped out any prominent Marvel heroes from it other than the Hulk.

Aside from the first Ultimate Avengers movie, Marvel's animated movies just don't hold up that well.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 07-23-17, 08:24 PM   #880
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hulk vs. is pretty decent, especially the Wolverine segment.

https://www.amazon.com/Hulk-vs-Thor-...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 07-23-17, 09:08 PM   #881
DVD Talk Legend

Marvel's best animation is with their TV series, and in the case of X-men or Avengers:EMH they cancelled them way too early. Some of their animated direct to video movies are just terrible.
Old 07-24-17, 09:47 AM   #882
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
I thought it was great and this is coming from someone who loved the comic book series. They had to change stuff here and there because of Marvel licensing stupidity but it was a pretty good film. I loved that they used Beta Ray Bill, there are tons of cameos of minor Marvel characters throughout the film and the animation look sharp. I wish they had done a follow up with World War Hulk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
Marvel's best animation is with their TV series, and in the case of X-men or Avengers:EMH they cancelled them way too early. .
Completely agree with this. Spectacular Spider-Man, Wolverine and the X-Men and Avengers: Earth Mightiest Heroes were all amazing and as far as I know, they were all part of the same universe. I'm still pissed that all of them got cancelled thanks to Jeph Loeb for all the current shitty, unwatchable series that air on Disney XD.
Old 07-24-17, 11:45 AM   #883
DVD Talk Legend

Wasn't that more Disney taking over than Loeb? For children's fare, the current Avengers, Spidey (well, I guess it's not current anymore) and GotG shows are ok, my kids like them and they do adhere a lot closer to the cinematic universe designs. I can understand why they did it.
Old 07-24-17, 11:48 AM   #884
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

You probably want it in digital OldBoy, but I have an extra DVD of Planet Hulk I'd mail you.
Old 07-24-17, 09:32 PM   #885
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Wasn't that more Disney taking over than Loeb? For children's fare, the current Avengers, Spidey (well, I guess it's not current anymore) and GotG shows are ok, my kids like them and they do adhere a lot closer to the cinematic universe designs. I can understand why they did it.
That's true too, but Disney had the option of simply switching animation companies and keeping the Avengers:EMH series but they didn't at Loeb's suggestions. Then he shoehorned in the new Nova (so he could get royalties) and the incredibly shitty Hulk and the Agents of Smash (with all of Loeb's derived characters, so he could get royalties). Lobe even deceived fans during the SDCC 2014 Marvel Animation panel saying that the new Avengers animated series would be tied to the Earth Mightiest Heroes.

One of the things that has backfired Marvel/Disney is pushing the cinematic universe all over their properties like comic books, video games and animated series instead of sticking to the source material. There's also no excuse for the quality of the animation, voice acting, and storytelling to dip from the previous series to the new ones they are churning out. The previous shows were excellent as the appealed to everyone like the Dini/Timm DC Animated Universe did. They could have sold toys and every type of merchandise with the previous series if they wanted. Loeb and Disney simply wanted to go the other way.
Old 07-24-17, 09:36 PM   #886
DVD Talk Special Edition

I forgot to mention that I'm glad that DC is re-doing the Death of Superman movie. The previous one was their second worst film (just under Brainiac Attacks, and a little over the stupid Public Enemies storyline based on Loeb's comic book). I hope they do include part of Funeral for a Friend as that part of the storyline showed how important Superman is to the DC Universe. And I hope they use the shitty Justice League.
Old 07-24-17, 09:51 PM   #887
Inane Thread Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
You probably want it in digital OldBoy, but I have an extra DVD of Planet Hulk I'd mail you.
its actually free on Vudu with some ads. thanks for the offer. does the dvd have any extras? same as bluray? because those did look enticing...
Old 07-25-17, 07:51 AM   #888
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Quote:
its actually free on Vudu with some ads. thanks for the offer. does the dvd have any extras? same as bluray? because those did look enticing...
Audio commentary, opening sequence from the Thor animated film, and a making of featurette. I haven't watched them yet, but if I end up liking a film I almost always enjoy an audio commentary.
Old 07-25-17, 09:46 AM   #889
Inane Thread Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Audio commentary, opening sequence from the Thor animated film, and a making of featurette. I haven't watched them yet, but if I end up liking a film I almost always enjoy an audio commentary.
ygpm
Old 07-25-17, 09:48 AM   #890
Inane Thread Master

Still no Target preorder of any kind for Batman & Harley Quinn? Odd, isn't it...
Old 08-05-17, 12:10 PM   #891
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Still no Target preorder of any kind for Batman & Harley Quinn? Odd, isn't it...
https://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=...eakTo=52711028

No steelbook listed.
Old 08-06-17, 06:13 PM   #892

I see my local theater lists a big screen showing of Batman & Harley Quinn on Aug. 14.

I'll probably pass and pick up the Blu-ray.
Old 08-06-17, 06:56 PM   #893
DVD Talk Legend

I'd consider going but my theater never participates in those Fathom Events screenings.
Old 08-06-17, 07:13 PM   #894
Inane Thread Master

Surprised no SteelBook. Oh well, maybe just rent...
Old 08-07-17, 09:09 AM   #895
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

People saying there will be no steelbook are crazy. Just because it's not listed on Target's site doesn't mean it won't be in stores. That practice only started a year ago because they shared the same DPCI. They haven't missed a DC animated steelbook in years.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Batman...lu-ray/174193/
Old 08-07-17, 11:09 AM   #896
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not every steelbook has been listed for sale separately on Target's website. In fact, most have not. My issue this time around is I will be out of town on release day. Hoping they still have one available at my local store when I return later that week.
Old 08-07-17, 11:13 AM   #897
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I will probably go to Target on release day and look for it. It will probably look similar to the UK Steelbook.
Old 08-07-17, 01:07 PM   #898
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is also the first release that they will have a 4K version too. So i'm sure there was some talk internally with which version would get the steelbook. Because I don't see them doing it for both versions.
Old 08-12-17, 09:39 PM   #899
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Great, I guess this "Commemorative Edition" cashgrab shit is something they are sticking with when a new DC movie comes out in theaters. Expect another Target steelbook just like the Wonder Woman edition.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074R...KIKX0DER&psc=1
Old 08-14-17, 02:25 PM   #900