Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

DC Animated Universe Films

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

DC Animated Universe Films

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-17, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: DC Animated Universe Films

Well, one thing you get from the individual releases are steelbooks, digital copies, and DVD's. None of those come with this one

And I also wouldn't be surprised if the MSRP is $300 or so. But yeah, if you haven't picked up a single movie yet, you can probably get a good sale on this around the holidays.
Old 06-29-17, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I have all of them except the two Green Lantern ones and Justice League: The New Frontier. Should really just pick them up to have a complete collection.
Old 06-29-17, 07:18 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

If that collection is packaged like WB does for any other of their 20+ discs collections, then is not worth it at all. Those set usually have loose discs, broken spindles, broken boxes and hard ways of getting the discs in and out.
Old 06-29-17, 10:59 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Is there an MSRP?
Old 07-02-17, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike86
I have all of them except the two Green Lantern ones and Justice League: The New Frontier. Should really just pick them up to have a complete collection.
First Flight is one of my favs, is what the Live Action GL should have been.

New Frontier...watched it so many times, love the style of the movie.
Old 07-03-17, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm honestly not a big Green Lantern fan. Just never really have been so that's probably why I haven't picked up those yet. I watched part of Emerald Knights but fell asleep during it. New Frontier seems like a good one. I just missed it when it originally released and haven't gotten to picking it up.
Old 07-03-17, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm honestly not a big Green Lantern fan. Just never really have been so that's probably why I haven't picked up those yet. I watched part of Emerald Knights but fell asleep during it. New Frontier seems like a good one. I just missed it when it originally released and haven't gotten to picking it up.
Emerald Knights is a snooze fest, but First Flight was awesome...it is just what the GL movie should have been.
Old 07-07-17, 11:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For the curious the Justice League movies War, Doom, New Frontier and The Flashpoint Paradox are available for free, albeit with commercials, at CWSeed.com, which is also a free app for Roku users.
Old 07-08-17, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gotham by Gaslight Getting Animated DC Adaptation

By David Stephens 1 hour ago

The next DC animated movie to be released after Batman and Harley Quinn has been officially announced, and it will be an adaptation of the critically-acclaimed Elseworlds graphic novel Gotham by Gaslight. It was revealed after fuller details were given regarding the special features on the upcoming Harley Quinn escapade.

Gotham by Gaslight is a major fan-favorite for those who like to see the Dark Knight in an alternative setting, and one we’ve previously called out as being one of the Batman comics that should be an animated movie. It was published by DC Comics in 1989 as a one-shot, with the story having been written by editor and writer Brian Augustyn. The artwork and design originated from the legendary artist and writer Mike Mignola (Hellboy) and was inked his frequent work partner P. Craig Russell. The story re-imagines Bruce Wayne in a Victorian world, and filters every expected ingredient in a Batman story through that concept. It adapts the hero’s origin after he returns to Gotham City following a European trip, and introduces Commissioner Gordon and even a brief reference to a Victorian Joker. But mostly it’s about the freshly mantled caped crusader trying to deduce the identity of Jack the Ripper, who has started a fresh wave of killings in the US city.

It’s normal for the DVD and Blu-Ray releases to include sneak peeks of the next projects, so with Comicbook.com reporting that this title has just been added to the special features for the Batman and Harley Quinn release, it confirms that the next DC Animation direct-to-video release will be Batman: Gotham by Gaslight. There are currently no further details as to a release date, or who will be performing the voice-acting, although Kevin Conroy (Batman: The Animated Series ) would be the natural expectation for Bruce Wayne, although Jason O’Mara has been taking regular turns as the voice of the caped crusader lately as well.

Gotham by Gaslight was a hugely important graphic novel, and as influential, in its own way, as The Killing Joke. Although it wasn’t categorized as such at the time, it is generally accepted as being the very first Elseworlds tale and was later officially branded as such. The Elseworld stories were the DC version of Marvel’s What If stories, and placed their most famous characters in unfamiliar surroundings and times. This lead to incredibly popular publications like Superman: Red Son (which is rumored to be tapped for a live-action movie) and Batman: Red Rain (Batman as a vampire). Gotham by Gaslight itself spawned a sequel called Master of the Future which took on more Jules Verne trappings.

Hopefully for such an important story in Batman history, the animated film will give it the respect and tone that it deserves. The Killing Joke got some criticism for bolting on some contentious additional material to the plot, but that shouldn’t be necessary for this story which can easily standalone on its quality of plot and visuals. Until we know more, the only further details will be in the promotional footage included on the Batman and Harley Quinn release. In the meantime, we’ll keep you updated with any more information on the Gotham by Gaslight movie.

Batman and Harley Quinn is released on August 29, 2017.

Source: Comicbook.com
http://screenrant.com/gotham-by-gasl...dc-adaptation/

I'm down for this. Probably one of the best Elseworlds stories along with Red Son.
Old 07-11-17, 02:53 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I'm glad DC/WB keeps doing these animated films and wonder why Marvel doesn't follow up after the cool Planet Hulk one.
Old 07-13-17, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Animation is a strong suit for DC. While they struggle with their live action films their animated films and shows are pretty much always solid. Funny enough it's the opposite for Marvel despite them having the power of Disney behind them who are kings of animation. The Marvel animated stuff always seems geared mostly towards a younger audience. Some of it is okay for what it is but nothing I go out of my way to watch.
Old 07-15-17, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Animation is a strong suit for DC. While they struggle with their live action films their animated films and shows are pretty much always solid. Funny enough it's the opposite for Marvel despite them having the power of Disney behind them who are kings of animation. The Marvel animated stuff always seems geared mostly towards a younger audience. Some of it is okay for what it is but nothing I go out of my way to watch.
Not exactly sure what you mean by "struggle" in the live action movies?
-Ratings by critics?
-Ratings by fans?
-Box Office? (out performed Marvel first 4 movies)

Each of the movies have done better than the one before in the boxoffice...WW now being the champ and has had a 94% RT score.
-Someone has to be going to the movies? Fans have voted by their $$$/tickets.
-Each of the movies have made a great profit...at least $575 millions in total profit.

Tons of people have loved the DC movies, myself being one of them.
-I also LOVE the Marvel movies...I do not want DC movies to be just like Marvel movies, difference is good.

Anyway, just my thoughts.
Old 07-15-17, 01:16 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I love DC so much that by comparison I hate Marvel, but even I admit that Marvel blows DC away on live-action films the last nine years. Wonder Woman was great, but the other three are average at best; and Marvel has had like 10 films pretty much better than WW in that timeframe.

Obviously, opinions vary and you're by no means alone Iron, but I think you're in a small minority if you think DC is anywhere close in quality lately.
Old 07-15-17, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Target still doesn't have Batman and Harley Quinn up for pre-order, even the vanilla version. Wonder if they had too many screw ups with Steelbook orders and just won't sell it online any more. Bummer
Old 07-15-17, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
I love DC so much that by comparison I hate Marvel, but even I admit that Marvel blows DC away on live-action films the last nine years. Wonder Woman was great, but the other three are average at best; and Marvel has had like 10 films pretty much better than WW in that timeframe.

Obviously, opinions vary and you're by no means alone Iron, but I think you're in a small minority if you think DC is anywhere close in quality lately.
Yep, I meant more in terms of the quality of the films not how successful they are. Three films are below average at best. One is good albeit in my opinion a tad overrated by fans who were looking for a great film (Wonder Woman). I'm labeled as the resident DC hater though so what do I know.
Old 07-15-17, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm labeled as the resident DC hater though so what do I know.
I get where your coming from. I don't really like the films either and I'm a huge DC fan. They're average at best and it seems like they lost the core of who the characters are. I guess I'm stuck in the Bronze Age because that is what I collect and those characters on the screen are so far removed from the characters and the stories I've read. I have to give credit to WW though; I actually enjoyed it even with it's flaws i.e. the 3rd act.

Looking forward to Gotham by Gaslight. I hope they make it look like Mignola's art.
Old 07-18-17, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I meant more in terms of the quality of the films not how successful they are. Three films are below average at best. One is good albeit in my opinion a tad overrated by fans who were looking for a great film (Wonder Woman).
100% agree with this!
Old 07-18-17, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
Not exactly sure what you mean by "struggle" in the live action movies?
-Ratings by critics?
-Ratings by fans?
-Box Office? (out performed Marvel first 4 movies)

Each of the movies have done better than the one before in the boxoffice...WW now being the champ and has had a 94% RT score.
-Someone has to be going to the movies? Fans have voted by their $$$/tickets.
-Each of the movies have made a great profit...at least $575 millions in total profit.

Tons of people have loved the DC movies, myself being one of them.
-I also LOVE the Marvel movies...I do not want DC movies to be just like Marvel movies, difference is good.

Anyway, just my thoughts.
I'm not sure how this is even an argument. Man of Steel, Batman V Superman, and Suicide Squad were obvious critical disappointments, and fan reaction wasn't significantly far from that even if there are those that liked them.

As far as making money, well known characters like Superman or Batman SHOULD make more then Iron Man, who was then an unknown to the general audience. And just because something Batman V Superman made money, doesn't mean WB/DC didn't expect it to make much, much more.
Old 07-18-17, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

http://screenrant.com/gotham-by-gasl...dc-adaptation/

I'm down for this. Probably one of the best Elseworlds stories along with Red Son.
I would love to see them adapt Red Rain, the Batman versus Dracula Elseworlds trilogy.
Old 07-22-17, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

News of these new DC Universe Original Movies comes to us courtesy of ComingSoon.net. The most exciting animated feature that was announced is the Death of Superman adaptation, which will be released in 2018 as two separate feature length movies. The two-part movie will adapt the legendary story of Superman's fatal battle with Doomsday. This will be the second time that DC is tackling the story, the first was in 2007's Superman: Doomsday, which altered the comic book to fit under a running time of 75 minutes. By spreading Death of Superman over two full length movies should allow the adaptation to be more faithful to the source material, which is huge news for Superman fans everywhere. The second half, Reign of Superman will tell the next part in the adaptation, which will see the rise of Superman, taking place a year after his death and again, should be a lot more detailed than the 2007 adaptation.

The first animated movie to be released will be Batman: Gotham by Gaslight, which is an adaptation of the popular 1989 story that introduced the Victorian Era Dark Knight. The title has been rumored for weeks, but was officially confirmed at Comic-Con. Brian Augustyn and Mike Mignola wrote the story and many feel that the story kicked off DC's "Elseworlds" brand of stories with alternate realities. The movie is expected to expand on the original 48-page story and flesh it out as the Dark Knight goes after Jack the Ripper.

After Batman: Gotham by Gaslight is released, we can look forward to Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay, which will be the first Suicide Squad movie to be set within the canon of the DC animated movieverse, much like how 2014's Batman: Assault on Arkham that featured the Suicide Squad was set in the popular Arkham video game. Hell to Pay will feature an original story, but details have not been officially announced yet other than promising a stellar voice cast.
Old 07-22-17, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

They should leave Death of Superman as is. No one really gives a shit about it anymore. Reign of Superman wasn't all that, either. Pretty forgettable read.
Old 07-22-17, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

No one? IDK, I'm looking forward to a proper adaptation and they did a great job with The Dark Knight Returns animated movie (and this is coming from someone who isn't a particular fan of the graphic novel).
Old 07-22-17, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yea, I'm curious if they go with a straight adaptation with the crappy JL members instead of the A teamers.
Old 07-22-17, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts

I'm down for another Superman story. And while I enjoy them, it would be a nice break from the endless Batman movies DC releases.
Old 07-23-17, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm interested in Reign of Superman

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.