Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

DC Animated Universe Films

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

DC Animated Universe Films

Old 04-15-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: DC Animated Universe Films

Originally Posted by Decker
How many of these Steelbooks do you guys have? I'm at five now
I have eight. I believe there have only been nine so far starting with The Dark Knight Returns (which is the only one I didn't pick up since I'm not going to double dip) and going through Justice League vs Teen Titans now.

Just out of curiosity, I was checking my "metal/steel" collection on the other site and am up to 92 overall! I have two IronPacks, nine Metal Box, eight MetalPaks, SEVENTY steelbooks, one futurepak, and two Neo cases. I'm surprised my damn shelf hasn't split in half yet

Last edited by mattysemo247; 04-15-16 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-15-16, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopefully us regulars here will pick up a second copy if able to send to another regular if they need it.

How many of these Steelbooks do you guys have? I'm at five now : Batman vs Robin, Batman Bad Blood, The Dark Knight Returns Deluxe, Justice League Gods & Monsters and Justice League vs Teen Titans.
I'm kicking myself because I had seen Throne of Atlantis Steelbook when it came out, but I wasn't collecting them yet so I just passed on it.
Ditto, If I see a second next time, I'll pick it up as well. I have all of those you mentioned (well I will have the last one soon ). I also raise you Assault on Arkham as well as Son of Batman on SB which I have. I could have had War, I saw it at the same second hand shop as Assault on Arkham (that's another one I didn't get the first go around) but decided not to and it was gone the next time I went in there. Dumb on my part. There was also a steelbook for Flashpoint Paradox I believe but unfortunately I only have the regular copy (same thing for Throne of Atlantis). I think that makes 10 total.

Edit: Correction, Flashpoint only had a steelbook in France, same with Superman: Unbound, so we probably shouldn't count those. I'll revert to 9 domestic releases then

Last edited by Kedrix; 04-15-16 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-15-16, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kedrix
There was also a steelbook for Flashpoint Paradox I believe but unfortunately I only have the regular copy (same thing for Throne of Atlantis). I think that makes 10 total.
Nope on the Flashpoint Paradox. That came out right before The Dark Knight Returns which is why there wasn't one.

Ah, I see your correction now
Old 04-15-16, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It's Official: "Batman: The Killing Joke" Is Rated R

"Batman: The Killing Joke" has received an R-rating, making it the first DC Universe Original Movie to break the mature boundary, and the second DC film overall -- after "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice," which is getting an R-rated home video release -- to land the often controversial rating.

"From the start of production, we encouraged producer Bruce Timm and our team at Warner Bros. Animation to remain faithful to the original story — regardless of the eventual MPAA rating," Warners exec Sam Register said in a statement. "The Killing Joke is revered by the fans, particularly for its blunt, often-shocking adult themes and situations. We felt it was our responsibility to present our core audience — the comics-loving community — with an animated film that authentically represented the tale they know all too well."

Based on Alan Moore and Brian Bolland's famed comic of the same name, and featuring the voices of Kevin Conroy (Batman), Mark Hamill (The Joker), Tara Strong (Batgirl) and Ray Wise (Commissioner Gordon), "Batman: The Killing Joke" is set to premiere at Comic-Con International in San Diego this July, with a Blu-ray, DVD, and Digital HD release

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...oke-is-rated-r
Old 04-15-16, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Welcome to yesterday!
Old 04-15-16, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if they started with the Dark Knight returns, I have every Target DC steelbook (8?) except for War. At the time I actually decided I didn't want that one, and changed my mind too late.
Old 04-15-16, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Welcome to yesterday!
Oh, I knew that since the project was announced....just wanted to post that it was confirmed.
Old 04-15-16, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,921 Likes on 4,040 Posts

See post #366 and #338
Old 04-15-16, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 170 Posts

I've got all 9.
Old 04-15-16, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 388 Likes on 281 Posts

So the release date for The Killing Joke will be after SD comic con? I am excited to see it. I picked up The Dark Knight Returns graphic novel/bluray combo pack a few weeks ago, these are great sets. I would get the Batman Year One but I already have the book.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 04-15-16 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-15-16, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I picked up The Dark Knight Returns graphic novel/bluray combo packs a few weeks ago, these are great sets. I would get the Batman Year One but I already have the book.
If they started releasing these the same day as the steelbooks, I would switch in a heartbeat. Those graphic novels are awesome. I already picked up two I didn't have.
Old 04-15-16, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,921 Likes on 4,040 Posts

If they started releasing these the same day as the steelbooks, I would switch in a heartbeat. Those graphic novels are awesome. I already picked up two I didn't have.
Agreed. I picked up four I didn't yet have Blu Rays of (Batman Year One, Superman Doomsday, Justice League - Crisis on Two Earths and Wonder Woman : Gods & Mortals. Love them (haven't watched WW yet)

If I miss out on a Killing Joke Steelbook, I would totally wait for the Hardbound Book + Blu Ray set.
Old 04-15-16, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 920 Likes on 565 Posts

If I miss out on a Killing Joke Steelbook, I would totally wait for the Hardbound Book + Blu Ray set.
That could be awhile.

I only worried about getting a steelbook of Dark Knight Returns. I have pretty much seen at least one every time but I usually just wait until they hit $10 or less.

The really good deal was when several recently were 10 bucks at Best Buy and you got a free movie ticket with them.

I am going to try to get a Killing Joke steelbook but if I miss it I will just wait for it to hit 10 bucks or less like usual.
Old 04-15-16, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 303 Likes on 206 Posts

Those graphic novels are awesome. I already picked up two I didn't have.
Agreed. I'd buy a Killing Joke one in a heartbeat and would prefer that over a steelbook.
Old 04-15-16, 07:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 866 Likes on 732 Posts

Do we have a release window for the killing joke?
Old 04-16-16, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,117 Likes on 879 Posts

Well I gave up on trying to find the Steelbook for Justice League Versus Teen Titans and just bought the regular version. I'll probably watch it later tonight. Hopefully I'll be able to find The Killing Joke Steelbook when it's out as I have a feeling that will be one of the best DCAU films coming up.
Old 04-16-16, 09:30 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 651 Likes on 436 Posts

I was hopeful for The Killing Joke until I heard they're making it an R rating. Idiots.
Old 04-16-16, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,117 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I was hopeful for The Killing Joke until I heard they're making it an R rating. Idiots.
Meh. I think it probably earned an R pretty easily going off of the story it's based on.
Old 04-16-16, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

did we want it toned down? also the graphic novel also contains nudity so its not just the graphic violence
Old 04-16-16, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Only a fool would want it toned down.
Old 04-18-16, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,104 Likes on 2,009 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Do we have a release window for the killing joke?
If you're talking about the Target steelbook I'd say it will be about 8:00am to 8:02am on release day.
Old 04-18-16, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 367 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
did we want it toned down? also the graphic novel also contains nudity so its not just the graphic violence
Are you sure about that? I believe it's all suggested/implied.
Old 04-18-16, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks like this is going to be the figure included with the deluxe edition, so at least we kinda know the look they are going with for Joker

Old 04-18-16, 10:49 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 651 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Only a fool would want it toned down.
So Alan Moore is a fool?

I'm not saying it needs to be toned down necessarily. But the only thing in Killing Joke that would be rated R is the rape/mysoginy. So they are either adding other content to make it R, or they are glorifying that scene.
Old 04-18-16, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So Alan Moore is a fool?

I'm not saying it needs to be toned down necessarily. But the only thing in Killing Joke that would be rated R is the rape/mysoginy. So they are either adding other content to make it R, or they are glorifying that scene.
They are adding a bit to the story with Barbara as Batgirl. I don't know what that's going to add.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.