DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Interstellar - March 31 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/624780-interstellar-march-31-a.html)

Sub-Zero 01-23-15 06:25 PM

Interstellar - March 31

Christopher Nolan / 23 Jan 2015

Interstellar Blu-rays Detailed

Christopher Nolan's space drama lands multiple home video releases.

By Max Nicholson

Interstellar is inbound for a Blu-ray and DVD release on March 31, with an early Digital HD release set for March 17. In addition to a three-disc Blu-ray Combo Pack with UltraViolet and three hours of behind-the-scenes bonus content, the film is also getting exclusive Blu-rays from Walmart, Target, Best Buy and Amazon.

Walmart's set comes in collectible Neo packaging and includes Interstellar: Beyond Time and Space, a 48-page book; the Target set comes in collectible SteelBook packaging; Best Buy's set has two additional featurettes; and Amazon's offering comes with a pre-order incentive: instantly watch a featurette from the national bonus content when you pre-order the Blu-ray.

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/...ve-720x297.jpg

Walmart-exclusive Interstellar Neo Blu-ray

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/...ve-720x474.jpg

Target-exclusive Interstellar SteelBook Blu-ray

Additionally, all exclusives and the national release come packed with a 70MM IMAX film cell (while supplies last).

The Combo Packs include the following special features:

•The Science of Interstellar - Extended cut of the broadcast special.

•Plotting an Interstellar Journey - Discusses the film's origins, influences and narrative designs.

•Life on Cooper's Farm - Bringing Americana and the grounded nature of a farm to a sci-fi space movie.

•The Dust - Learn how cast and crew avoided sand blindness, and see how to create, and clean up after, a catastrophic dust storm.

•TARS and CASE - Designing and building these unique characters and how they were brought to life on set and in the film.

•Cosmic Sounds - The concepts, process, and recording of Hans Zimmer's unforgettable score.

•The Space Suits - A look at the design and build of the suits and helmets, and what it was like to wear them.

•The Endurance - Explore this massive set with a guided tour by production designer Nathan Crowley.

•Shooting in Iceland: Miller’s Planet/Mann's Planet - Travel with the cast and crew to Iceland and see the challenges they faced in creating two vastly different worlds in one country.

•The Ranger and the Lander - A look at the other two spaceships in the film.

•Miniatures in Space - Marvel at the large-scale models used in the explosive docking sequence.

•The Simulation of Zero-G - Discover the various methods that the filmmakers used to create a zero gravity environment.

•Celestial Landmarks - Explore how the filmmakers used practical special effects informed by real scientific equations to give the illusion of real space travel for both the actors and the audience.

•Across All Dimensions and Time - A look at the concept and design of the Tesseract, which incorporated a practical set rather than a green screen.

•Final Thoughts - The cast and crew reflect back on their Interstellar experience.

•Theatrical Trailers

Max Nicholson is a writer for IGN, and he desperately seeks your approval. Show him some love by following @Max_Nicholson on Twitter, or MaxNicholson on IGN.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/...d10f1d7a00000e

OldBoy 01-23-15 07:37 PM

Re: Interstellar - March 31

and ordered SteelBook™. obviously. look forward to this!

Solid Snake 01-23-15 08:19 PM

So Best Buy is the way to go to get all the features. Ok.

RocShemp 01-23-15 08:28 PM

Meh. Amazon will probably be cheaper so I'll order it from them.

fumanstan 01-23-15 08:30 PM

I was frustrated enough with parts of this movie that it will probably be the first movie from Nolan that I haven't purchased right away. I'll probably get it when it's super cheap.

Why So Blu? 01-23-15 08:33 PM

I pre-ordered the Amazon one.

My Other Self 01-23-15 10:03 PM

Walmart wins this one for me, but I'm a sucker for extra features. Might be a toss up between that and Best Buy. I still haven't seen it.

nickdawgy 01-23-15 11:25 PM

Steelbook for me for sure

Shannon Nutt 01-24-15 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by My Other Self (Post 12374292)
Walmart wins this one for me, but I'm a sucker for extra features. Might be a toss up between that and Best Buy. I still haven't seen it.

The only extra "features" in the Walmart set are the packaging and the 48-page book. Nothing extra on the discs themselves.

Giles 01-24-15 05:23 PM

so wait - I'm confused --- Walmart's edition is the only one with the 70mm cell - right?

Solid Snake 01-24-15 05:34 PM

From the way I read it... seems like they...all have a film cell? The national and exclusives is what what it said. Reads like they all have them...but.... I don't know really.

E Unit 01-24-15 05:36 PM

Pictures and descriptions in the article are confusing, but per the write-up, it does say this: "Additionally, all exclusives and the national release come packed with a 70MM IMAX film cell (while supplies last)."

redrum 01-24-15 05:53 PM

this shall be mine

My Other Self 01-24-15 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 12374765)
The only extra "features" in the Walmart set are the packaging and the 48-page book. Nothing extra on the discs themselves.

Yeah, I realize that. I'm one of the few people that like that magnet packaging, though.

Arthur Dent 01-24-15 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by My Other Self (Post 12375069)
Yeah, I realize that. I'm one of the few people that like that magnet packaging, though.

Based on reactions I've seen, response is positive towards that case.

Rypro 525 01-27-15 12:20 AM

Curious what they do with the sound (anyone who saw the film in Imax knows that during action scenes, the dialogue was not mixed very loud, & that lead to complaints amongst fans)

Also will this contain the 'imax' version? where the imax scenes cut to 1:78

Arthur Dent 01-27-15 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 12377331)
Also will this contain the 'imax' version? where the imax scenes cut to 1:78

Yes, it will.

hanshotfirst1138 01-27-15 12:42 AM

Gah! So many choices! Lots of reading to do.

slop101 01-28-15 11:00 AM

I like the Wal-Mart one the best, but I'd rather not have to step inside a WM...

Giles 01-28-15 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 12378780)
i like the wal-mart one the best, but i'd rather not have to step inside a wm...

+1

My Other Self 01-28-15 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 12378780)
I like the Wal-Mart one the best, but I'd rather not have to step inside a WM...

Can you not order it online?

slop101 01-28-15 01:25 PM

Ew, and be in WM's database, and give them my home info?

RichC2 01-28-15 01:41 PM

They already have my info via Vudu. Damn dirty apes :(

Solid Snake 03-20-15 08:15 PM

review

hanshotfirst1138 03-21-15 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 12378940)
+1

+2. Even ordering online, I hate to line their pockets. Decisions, decisions.

JeffTheAlpaca 03-25-15 05:17 PM

A good blind buy?

This looks like the regular version at Wal-Mart unless they decide to list the Neo exclusive on the release date or it is already sold out?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Interstell...creen/42931038

I liked Inception though I did not understand everything and I own that plus the Prestige and all the Nolan Batman movies.

OldBoy 03-25-15 05:31 PM

i'm blind buying this, DVD Talk gave it a stellar review and i have the SteelBook™ preordered from Target. i said fuck it. i'll just get it, i'm sure it will be good...

davidh777 03-25-15 06:15 PM

I blind-bought a movie ticket and thought it was worth it. :shrug:

hanshotfirst1138 03-25-15 08:07 PM

I got to see it in IMAX 15/70, as they won't be making any more prints, it was a bit of a bittersweet treat. Whether you like it or not, it's a film worth seeing and talking about, and IMO that makes it worthwhile.

DJariya 03-25-15 08:10 PM

I enjoyed this even though it's a super long movie. I'll probably pick it up, but not sure if I'll do it right away. Glad it has some good bonus material.

RocShemp 03-25-15 08:33 PM

Price just went down to $19.99.

JeffTheAlpaca 03-26-15 01:54 AM

I think it is close to 3 hrs long and somebody in another board wanted more visual pizzazz so I assume maybe there were not a lot of special effects but more character development.

Mr. Cinema 03-26-15 07:38 AM

I'd advise a rental. I thought it was pretty good, but it feels like a 4 hour movie and not something I will probably watch again.

RichC2 03-26-15 08:32 AM

I really enjoyed it the first time I saw it, and liked it more the second time.

The things that bothered me during the first run weren't quite as bothersome the second time around, and for some reason this is a movie that got my imagination rolling which is pretty rare these days.

hdnmickey 03-26-15 09:53 AM

Confused by the exclusives in regards to the IMAX scene ratio. Will all versions have the larger IMAX scenes inserted in the movie or will only one store being carrying that version. I know we have Wal-Mart carry the only IMAX option as an exclusive before.

Josh-da-man 03-26-15 12:05 PM

Might pick up the WM version if I can find one that doesn't have package damaged from shoving it into a security case.

Are the extra features from BB on the discs, or are they downloadable content?

Josh Z 03-26-15 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 12433535)
Confused by the exclusives in regards to the IMAX scene ratio. Will all versions have the larger IMAX scenes inserted in the movie or will only one store being carrying that version. I know we have Wal-Mart carry the only IMAX option as an exclusive before.

To the best of my knowledge, all Blu-ray editions will have the shifting IMAX aspect ratios. Not sure about the DVDs versions.

The only time Walmart ever had an exclusive IMAX version of a movie was Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

Shannon Nutt 03-26-15 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 12432916)
A good blind buy?

This looks like the regular version at Wal-Mart unless they decide to list the Neo exclusive on the release date or it is already sold out?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Interstell...creen/42931038

I liked Inception though I did not understand everything and I own that plus the Prestige and all the Nolan Batman movies.

It must be sold out...I ordered one and it's in the shipping process - due to arrive by April 3rd.

Solid Snake 03-26-15 02:38 PM

Do we know if the extra content from BB is on the disc? It's a paramount thing too soooooo maybe? They usually do that.

JeffTheAlpaca 03-26-15 06:31 PM

It must be sold out...I ordered one and it's in the shipping process - due to arrive by April 3rd.
I hope not. I remember when the Man of Steel Steelbook came out in 2013 Walmart waited until the release date to post it on their site.