DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Lost In Space BD Complete Series Coming September 2015 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/624765-lost-space-bd-complete-series-coming-september-2015-a.html)

bacigalup 01-22-15 04:27 PM

Lost In Space BD Complete Series Coming September 2015

From the Digital Bits:

Meanwhile, here’s something awesome: The surviving cast of the classic 1960s Lost in Space TV series have reunited to celebrate the show’s 50th anniversary. They were interviewed on local TV in Los Angeles yesterday (you can watch the interview here). According to actor Bill Mumy (via his Facebook page – see his post here) the complete series is set for BD release is September from Fox. This following word over the last several months that all the original episodes have been remastered in HD from the original negatives. We would expect official word in the weeks and months ahead. If you live in L.A., the cast will be signing autographs at The Hollywood Show this coming weekend (at the Westin Los Angeles Airport Hotel – they’ll also be doing a panel discussion at the show on Sunday).

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/column...ts/012115_1230

stvn1974 01-22-15 04:40 PM

Re: Lost In Space BD Complete Series Coming September 2015

I wasn't around for this show but I will be blind buying it and it will go with my Star Trek TOS, Twilight Zone and Batman The Television Series sets, which I love.

Shannon Nutt 03-02-15 05:06 PM

More info today from tvshowsondvd.com:

Two weeks ago we passed along the news that Lost In Space was in-the-works for high-def Blu-ray Disc, with the entire series (three seasons) being planned and a tentative release timeframe of September, 2015...this autumn! Now a new Facebook post by Lex Kennedy of the "Lost in Space TV Series Remastered Petition" account has said the following about this release:

"...the remastered LOST IN SPACE Blu-Ray Collection is a done deal. The entire series has been beautifully remastered from the original 35mm film elements. All scenes are there that were snipped in the last package made from the one inch master tapes in the late 1980s. Even Penny's scream at the mummy from the original pilot, "No Place to Hide," has been added back in to "There Were Giants in the Earth/The Hungry Sea." Both versions, the 45 minute one and the 52 minute one of "No Place to Hide" are included, as well as the 1973 cartoon that was the season premiere of THE ABC SATURDAY SUPERSTAR MOVIE. The series is bring presented in its original broadcast aspect ratio of 4:3, no CGI special effects have been added, and the first season has not been altered from the original black and white. Downloadable 16:9 versions will be available. Many extras and commentaries are being added even as we speak, so let's rejoice that this year we will finally have what we have all been dreaming of for decades. Thank you Kevin Burns, Space Productions, and Synthesis Entertainment for your devotion and everything you have done for all of us serious fans. LOST IN SPACE lives!!!"

In response to a reader question, "Any idea on release date or what type of box set this will look like?," the reply was, "This year is all we know and possibly a box set in the shape of the Robot." Another person, Mike Briggs, made the following comment as well, which brought a response from Lex and the other folks at the Facebook account:

"Also, the LIS Forever 'sketch' from 1998 will be added as a 'stand alone piece', I believe and the Season 3 bumpers will be included and all of the season three episode previews will be in their rightful place. Also added will be some behind the scenes footage of the making of the special effects for the series."

"Yes, Mike the series is being presented in the correct form without edits. I am particularly looking forward to the third season episodes with the bumper before the scenes from next week with Dick Tufeld saying, 'Stay tuned for some exciting scenes from next week's show!' 'Lost in Space Forever' is being included and yes, the skit is also being presented as a stand alone item as it was shot on 35mm film. The cartoon is a Fox property."

That's all the hard news shown there at this time, and we must point out that none of this has been confirmed by or announced by the studio themselves. So please keep this in the "rumors" category for now, until we get the official word from Fox. Stay tuned, and we'll update you as further developments occur! Our thanks to one of our readers, "Kyal," for pointing us toward the Facebook discussion.

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Los...#ixzz3TGxd2ubv

Shannon Nutt 07-06-15 01:29 PM

http://d2qcn1pw3me4sl.cloudfront.net...mg_01_r5-1.jpg

Full packaging can be seen here:

http://www.foxconnect.com/media/cata...yshots_r12.jpg

Spiderbite 07-06-15 01:36 PM

^Sweet!

PhantomStranger 07-07-15 04:35 PM

I never really got to see this show. Was it ever heavily syndicated?

Adam Tyner 07-07-15 04:49 PM

It was on USA all the time when I was growing up.

stvn1974 07-07-15 06:05 PM

Big complete series of a TV show on BD means they should go ahead and start setting up for the replacement program now.

Paul_SD 07-07-15 09:10 PM

Have some vivid memories of watching this show as a kid. Marta Kristen was another big early childhood crush of mine, along with Yvonne Craig. The show also gave off a fun, creepy vibe with all the colorful monsters and oddball threats that showed up every week.

Watching it now though is kind of difficult because it's hard for me to get past Harris' Jonathan Smith character. Watching this shrieking, cowardly queen constantly be allowed to instigate or accelerate the plot conflict, show after show, is annoying almost to the point of deal killing. I cringe every time this character appears on screen. Unfortunately, as the show goes on his part only gets bigger with the other members of the family, with the exception of Will, getting pushed further to the background. I can only think of how much more fun the show would have been to revisit if the focus were more on the competent and level headed characters precipitating the crisis/conflict inadvertently, rather than having them almost always be the result of Smith's laziness, fear or avarice.

I was able to get in on the FoxConnect deal and will likely keep that order in place. But it's going to be another show, like Batman, that I'm going to need to take in small doses that are widely spread out to enjoy it.

PhantomStranger 07-08-15 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by stvn1974 (Post 12529436)
Big complete series of a TV show on BD means they should go ahead and start setting up for the replacement program now.

:lol:

Most gigantic television sets aren't really QCed very well.

Spiderbite 07-08-15 08:23 AM

:up: Sad but true.

Originally Posted by Paul_SD (Post 12529557)
Have some vivid memories of watching this show as a kid. Marta Kristen was another big early childhood crush of mine, along with Yvonne Craig. The show also gave off a fun, creepy vibe with all the colorful monsters and oddball threats that showed up every week.

Watching it now though is kind of difficult because it's hard for me to get past Harris' Jonathan Smith character. Watching this shrieking, cowardly queen constantly be allowed to instigate or accelerate the plot conflict, show after show, is annoying almost to the point of deal killing. I cringe every time this character appears on screen. Unfortunately, as the show goes on his part only gets bigger with the other members of the family, with the exception of Will, getting pushed further to the background. I can only think of how much more fun the show would have been to revisit if the focus were more on the competent and level headed characters precipitating the crisis/conflict inadvertently, rather than having them almost always be the result of Smith's laziness, fear or avarice.

I was able to get in on the FoxConnect deal and will likely keep that order in place. But it's going to be another show, like Batman, that I'm going to need to take in small doses that are widely spread out to enjoy it.

Totally agree with this post. This is not a show to binge watch. Like most of the shows I love from childhood (Batman, Six Million Dollar Man, Charlie's Angels, Gilligan's Island, etc.), I watch all of them in only one or two episode blocks once or twice a week or when I get a whim.

morriscroy 07-08-15 08:33 AM

More generally.

Wonder if this is one of the big reasons why movie companies will not bother releasing catalog tv on bluray titles. (Besides low demand).

Neil M. 07-08-15 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by morriscroy (Post 12529783)
More generally.

Wonder if this is one of the big reasons why movie companies will not bother releasing catalog tv on bluray titles. (Besides low demand).

I'm pretty sure it's just low sales.

Shannon Nutt 07-08-15 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12529346)
I never really got to see this show. Was it ever heavily syndicated?

Yes, it was on every morning before I went to school in the 1970s. It's the show that got me into science fiction...when I was older, of course, I turned to Star Trek.

Shannon Nutt 07-08-15 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD (Post 12529557)

This is true...but some episodes from the first half of Season 1 are still really good (before the show turned to all-out camp and comedy) and even some of the Season 3 episodes try to return to a serious vibe (reportedly, Guy Williams was complaining about the same things you were, so he was given a few more episodes in Season 3 that focused on him, including the entertaining "Anti-Matter Man.")

Sadly, the series ends with two of the worst episodes ever shot: "The Great Vegetable Rebellion" and "Junkyard in Space." :(

rw2516 07-08-15 04:51 PM

I think this is better left to SD. HD will bring out the fakeyness of the alien rubber suits and spoil the realism.

davidh777 07-08-15 04:58 PM

But QC is probably better than the scratchiness of DVDs in cardboard sleeves, no?

zyzzle 07-14-15 08:06 PM

Well, I'm sure they'll try to cram the entire series on three or four BDs and use a revised color scheme. Bitrate starvation and 'modern' color timing! What's not to like about that!

JSwarce 09-15-15 10:14 AM

This set is out for delivery to me by UPS today! Anybody that ordered might want to check their FoxConnect accounts.

--John

JSwarce 09-15-15 01:48 PM

Package arrived. Not too thrilled with the shipping box...no cushioning or packing material. Just a cardboard wrapper. So, I have a slight crease on one side of the set, and a minor dent in the top left corner. Could have been better packed.

The set is certainly expansive. 18 discs spread out over three cardboard sleeve inserts for each season (3 discs on one side, 3 discs on the other side for each season). A little clunky, but there are episode descriptions on all inserts. Character cards, 1st episode script, and a blueprint for the Robot are included. You have to open the outside box from the top (the disc holders don't slide out of the side).

Nice set, overall. I'll be popping in the first disc later tonight to check out the Blu-ray quality.

--John

Cardsfan111 09-15-15 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by JSwarce (Post 12588303)
I'll be popping in the first disc later tonight to check out the Blu-ray quality.

--John

Only fitting, since I noticed a post somewhere else indicating the show's debut was 50 years ago today.

Neil M. 09-15-15 02:27 PM

Wow. Just received mine. This has to be a new low in packaging. The outer cardboard box is extremely flimsy and mine is crushed in several spots. Then to top it all off, you have to open the top in order to get the contents out. The inside is even more of a mess.

Spiderbite 09-15-15 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Neil M. (Post 12588361)
Wow. Just received mine. This has to be a new low in packaging. The outer cardboard box is extremely flimsy and mine is crushed in several spots. Then to top it all off, you have to open the top in order to get the contents out. The inside is even more of a mess.

Just got mine in and have to completely agree on all points. Some spots of crush on mine as well. I kept looking for the door or slip-on case or how the fuck to open this set. Then I figured out I had to open the top like a box of cereal. Bizarre. I felt pretty dumb after that. :lol:

And I have to agree with the layout on the inside. Not a fan of the fan.

Anyway, for the price I will suffer though it and enjoy watching the first episode tonight for the 50th anniversary!

Paul_SD 09-15-15 04:13 PM

Mine came in the same condition- a couple corners blunted and creasing on three of the sides.
Normally I'm anal and OCD about condition, but in this case I really don't care. Its a set that will sit on the shelf ignored most of the time
In fact I would have easily passed on this, but 65% off a day one new release with a hefty price tag swayed me. It'll get dipped into occasionally and hopefully be enjoyed in drips and drabs over the next few years. I did like the show quite a bit as a kid. I'll try to channel some of that whenever I spin it. The HD bump might be a big help in seeing it with old/new eyes.

And I agree that more annoying than any OCD condition issues is the piss poor functionality of the packaging. Yet another case of something being designed by people, for the approval of other people, neither of whom actually use the product themselves.

zyzzle 09-15-15 05:52 PM

Forget the packaging... How's the quality of the encode, color-grading, bitrate, etc. Any obvious, blantant compression artifacts?