Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost In Space BD Complete Series Coming September 2015

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Lost In Space BD Complete Series Coming September 2015

Old 09-15-15, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Lost In Space BD Complete Series Coming September 2015

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Forget the packaging... How's the quality of the encode, color-grading, bitrate, etc. Any obvious, blantant compression artifacts?
First episode looks really good. They put 5 episodes on each disc and the bitrate looks to be averaging around 20 Mbps. The sound is fantastic.
Old 09-15-15, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched the unaired extended pilot tonight and the picture quality was stunning.
Old 09-16-15, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, the packaging is suspect, but wow - this is a nice collection. Of course, I have only had a chance to look at disc one...so I'm waiting to see if there's missing footage and/or glitches in certain episodes.

Surprised FOX didn't market this more...it's put together nicely (again, aside from the packaging).
Old 09-16-15, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Neil M. View Post
First episode looks really good. They put 5 episodes on each disc and the bitrate looks to be averaging around 20 Mbps. The sound is fantastic.
That sounds wonderful... they've given some breathing room to episodes! 250 minutes per BD-50 isn't too bad. Looking forward to reading more, and picking up the set myself.
Old 09-16-15, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
That sounds wonderful... they've given some breathing room to episodes! 250 minutes per BD-50 isn't too bad. Looking forward to reading more, and picking up the set myself.
Considering that WB has recently been putting over 300 minutes! on a BD-50 for their TV sets, it's not bad.
Old 05-24-16, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just saw that Amazon has this for just under $60. That's a phenomenal price for what is , packaging aside, a very well produced set. And the show turned out to be quite a bit more entertaining than I'd anticipated. Definitely enjoying revisiting it more than I have Batman, which I burned out rather quickly on.
Old 05-24-16, 08:34 PM
Banned

Hmmm...couldn't find at that price.
Old 05-26-16, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by AaronSch View Post
Hmmm...couldn't find at that price.
The set is $59.99 at Wal-mart as of this morning (2016-05-26):

http://www.walmart.com/ip/46083343
Old 05-28-16, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by obscurelabel View Post
The set is $59.99 at Wal-mart as of this morning (2016-05-26):

http://www.walmart.com/ip/46083343
I price matched this online at Best Buy and got a free $10.00 gift card as part of their promo deal.
Old 05-29-16, 01:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard View Post
I price matched this online at Best Buy and got a free $10.00 gift card as part of their promo deal.
I ran down to the local Best Buy that had two copies. Both had significant shelf damage so I passed. This is the first time I have looked at the packaging and everything I've heard is true. The moron who designed the packaging should be fired. The bs "it's about the discs" is ridiculous. I won't even buy a box of cereal in a crushed box! It's about the whole experience in ownership of this set. It's not worth $49 if the packaging is banged up. I don't need it that bad and I suspect they'll be selling these at a mega discounted price by years end. What a shame. When will they learn.
Old 05-29-16, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by AaronSch View Post
I ran down to the local Best Buy that had two copies. Both had significant shelf damage so I passed. This is the first time I have looked at the packaging and everything I've heard is true. The moron who designed the packaging should be fired. The bs "it's about the discs" is ridiculous. I won't even buy a box of cereal in a crushed box! It's about the whole experience in ownership of this set. It's not worth $49 if the packaging is banged up. I don't need it that bad and I suspect they'll be selling these at a mega discounted price by years end. What a shame. When will they learn.
You might have had better luck price matching over the phone. That's what I did. It only took about five minutes total, and the CS agent couldn't have been more helpful or pleasant to deal with.
Old 05-29-16, 03:20 PM

And yes, even in perfect condition, the package design is ridiculous.
Old 05-30-16, 09:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard View Post
You might have had better luck price matching over the phone. That's what I did. It only took about five minutes total, and the CS agent couldn't have been more helpful or pleasant to deal with.
Am I missing something? Price matching wasn't the issue and the employees are always helpful. But there simply wasn't a copy I was willing to purchase due to the damage each set exhibited. Calling the packaging flimsy is an understatement—I wondered how it could possibly arrive in good condition if I ordered online—so I simply passed. I think they'll be unloading these on the cheap at some point so I will patiently wait and produce my own cases. This isn't something I absolutely need to own. It is pure nostalgia. It would be like watching episodes of the Batman television show. I've found it very hard to get through more than an episode at a time and the nostalgia has already worn off after just a few viewings. I'm glad I own it but there is so much better material on my shelf.

Last edited by AaronSch; 05-30-16 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-31-16, 11:59 AM

Wasn't there talk at some point about releasing LOS in season sets? I'd be up for season 1 (hopefully in a keep case), but the series as a whole just doesn't hold up for me anymore. (B&W may aid my suspension of disbelief.)
Old 01-08-19, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Has anyone else run into playback problems?

I’m having a really tough time with season 2, disc 4. In three different players, I can hear the optical drives grind. I’m having freezing/skipping issues in a few episodes, with “The Toymaker” in particular unplayable.

I contacted Fox asking if there’s a way to get a replacement. Fingers crossed something will happen. This was a gift from my wife a couple years ago (we’ve obviously been watching them very slowly!), so Fox is probably my only option at this point.
Old 01-09-19, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
Has anyone else run into playback problems?

I’m having a really tough time with season 2, disc 4. In three different players, I can hear the optical drives grind. I’m having freezing/skipping issues in a few episodes, with “The Toymaker” in particular unplayable.

I contacted Fox asking if there’s a way to get a replacement. Fingers crossed something will happen. This was a gift from my wife a couple years ago (we’ve obviously been watching them very slowly!), so Fox is probably my only option at this point.
Did you inadvertently touch the disc while removing it from the set? The discs are difficult to remove from the cardboard sleeves and A LOT of people had playback issues because of fingerprints on the disc. You have to push the discs out from behind until you can easily grasp them and pull them out from the front. Some guy even made an instructional video on how to remove the discs without touching them. Many people put the discs in something else once they get them out and never put them back.
I pushed the discs out from the back, touching only the disc edge, until they extended far enough out the front to remove by touching only the disc edge. Every disc in set played fine.
Check the problem disc for any smudge where you may have touched it. Even if no smudge, give it a wipe and try again.
Old 01-09-19, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I definitely didn't do a good job taking this particular disc out of the packaging. :/

Still, I've tried cleaning it with a microfiber cloth several times, and I don't see any scuffs, scratches, fingerprint smudges, etc. My Xbox One X won't play the disc at all. The Blu-ray drive in my PC eventually recognizes it (although it takes a while), but it sputters and stutters pretty much nonstop. The closest thing to success I've had is with my primary player, my Philips BDP7502, which plays the Fox fanfare immediately, makes a grinding sound for a good long while, and eventually gets to the main menu. I've been able to watch the first couple of episodes, with some bearable hiccups, but I can't get through the pre-credits sequence in "The Toymaker". I don't know if there's some sub-surface damage I just can't see or what.
Old 01-09-19, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
I definitely didn't do a good job taking this particular disc out of the packaging. :/

Still, I've tried cleaning it with a microfiber cloth several times, and I don't see any scuffs, scratches, fingerprint smudges, etc. My Xbox One X won't play the disc at all. The Blu-ray drive in my PC eventually recognizes it (although it takes a while), but it sputters and stutters pretty much nonstop. The closest thing to success I've had is with my primary player, my Philips BDP7502, which plays the Fox fanfare immediately, makes a grinding sound for a good long while, and eventually gets to the main menu. I've been able to watch the first couple of episodes, with some bearable hiccups, but I can't get through the pre-credits sequence in "The Toymaker". I don't know if there's some sub-surface damage I just can't see or what.
Sounds like a bad disc. All you can do is try Fox. If they don't do the single disc try to get a replacement set. Check out customer reviews at Amazon. You'll have no trouble finding ones about playback issues. Maybe other people had a specific problem with that disc. You'll find equal number of reviews from people who had no problems. If you research the comments enough you'll arrive at the concensus that the overwhelming majority of people having problems touched the playing surface trying to get them out of the cardboard.
Old 02-22-19, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I wonder if it might've been a packaging thing. Season 2, Disc 5 had very similar issues as Disc 4 (both with issues starting around episode 3), and they're on opposite sides of the same sleeve. Disc 6, meanwhile, played without a hitch.

The discs aren't unplayable...just not readable in real-time. So I just copied the discs to my PC's hard drive and used LG's Smart Share app to stream 'em to my TV. Replacements would've been preferred, but Fox support wasn't any help there.