Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Old 03-12-16, 01:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I think Digital HD/streaming/VOD will gain in popularity over new forms of physical media. Shit, I just discovered VUDU.
On a rare note of agreement. Even though I buy alot of used Blu-ray disc at local shops, most had unredeemed digital codes and I have also amassed a VUDU and iTunes collection of well over 300 titles. I still plan on continuing to buy Blu-ray discs because I prefer physical media but I am also adopting services like itunes and VUDU for versatility and convenience.
Old 03-12-16, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronSch
Those of us who disposed of our DVDs and plunged into HD DVD and then Blu-ray disc were treated to some unbelievable bargains during the HD wars.
I think that's the toughest pill to swallow for many people, especially early adopters.

How many more times can you feel like a chump?

What was the definition of an "unbelievable bargain" on Blu-ray and HD-DVD back in 2006/2007? $24.95? $19.95 on Black Friday maybe?

Within three years, the same titles were in the $5 dump-bin at Wal-Mart.

When you multiply that by 200-300 titles, it adds up.

Reflecting back, do you specifically remember seeing a movie in 1080p? Or was it 720p? Hell, it might have been standard def?

It all becomes somewhat arbitrary after a while.

There will always be those who sleep better at night knowing they unequivocally have the very best of the best.

For the general consumer, it's all a moot point.

Last edited by orangerunner; 03-12-16 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-12-16, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Great to hear. Will John be going it alone for awhile, or will one (or more) of you be joining in the fun soon?
I probably won't be able to for at least another year- I'm FINALLY close to landing a job but still have to move before I can upgrade the equipment again.

Does anybody remember what the "killer app" titles were for laserdisk ?
I remember magazine ads saying "Just wait til you hear Olivia get Physical in stereo!" They generally seemed to push music titles more than anything else the first few years out, with the ABBA video album on the DiscoVision label being the very first. There was also a Ray Charles concert- he later did ads for laserdisc saying that the sound on them was so good, it didn't matter that he couldn't see the picture.

"Strong Kids Safe Kids" is truly messed up- you can see parts of it on YouTube. (And yes, I have that disc, just because )
Old 03-14-16, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
Even though it is on the downslide, any industry that still generates $8.9 billion is nothing to sneeze at.

I opened up this weeks Best Buy flyer and all of the new release physical media titles still featured photos of the DVD with a bold $19.99 price tag and in small, fine print - Blu-ray combo $24.99.

I suppose stores still like featuring that lower DVD price.
Stores simply feature what sells to the vast majority of shoppers. It only helps that it is priced lower as well.
Old 03-14-16, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceames
Great to hear. Will John be going it alone for awhile, or will one (or more) of you be joining in the fun soon?
I think DVD Savant might be in. I know he inquired about Sicario on UHD BD, anyway.

If anyone else has thrown their hat into the ring, I'm not aware of it. I'd like to this year, but I want more mature players first.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
They generally seemed to push music titles more than anything else the first few years out
Music releases were all over the early days of DVD and Blu-ray too, which is why I'm a little surprised we haven't seen anything along those lines announced yet. Maybe it's too niche-y for the Eagle Rock-s of the world to support right now? Heck, Sony has a decent number of 4K concerts in their arsenal.
Old 03-15-16, 03:12 AM

It seems like music titles in general have declined in the past 10 years, even though they've always been my favorite category. Likely having to do with MTV not playing music anymore, the overall sad state of the music biz in general, and the crowd who thinks YouTube is "good enough" for music videos.
Old 03-15-16, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I was slow to the draw when it came to HD TV and Blu Ray. For some silly reason around 06 when my tube tv finally died, I told myself I didn't really want a plasma or LCD tv, that I didn't like them and that I wanted another tube tv. So thats what I did. I went to Best Buy and searched the store high and low until I found that they were still selling ONE tube tv. A pretty nice 32" Sony. So I bought it. The thing I didn't realize then was that while a lot of people still had tube tv's, this new one I bought was probably going to last me 10 + years and that theres no fucking way I was gonna want to be the last person on the fucking planet in 2016 to have a relic like that as my primary source of visual media. But this didn't really dawn on me or effect me until around 2010 when I really started to get the itch to ditch the relic and get an HDTV and blu ray player. Because I was stubborn and decided I wanted a tube tv, that mean't naturally I wanted a dvd player and a dvd player only plays dvd's, so dvd's are what I bought. I did this for a couple years after the format war was over, I decided I wasn't going to go blu and didn't want to replace over 1000 dvd's. (Another sad little reason I didn't want to go blu was because I HATED the fucking cases, and the ugly inch long blue bar at the top of each case. A depressing bit of aesthetic OCD that is actually reflected in my first ever thread I posted on this board) When I finally decided I was going to buy an HDTV and blu ray player, I was still constantly picking up new dvd's, while leaving the blu rays on the shelf next to them. This.... is the biggest lapse in judgement I've ever had as a collector. Why it didn't occur to me once I decided I was gonna buy an hdtv and blu ray player that I'd probably want some blu rays to go along with them, is a fucking mystery to me. So many criterions bought that I eventually had to sell and replace. I cry salty tears as I type this. Anyhow, eventually it did sink in and I went out and bought a steelbook that was Blu Ray only (Inception in case you were wondering) close to half a year before I bought my hdtv and blu ray player. Hindsight being 20/20 I wish I would have started buying Blu's the day HD DVD threw in the towel. Or at least when Criterion got rid of those shitty cardboard cases. But what are you gonna do.

Anyways, point is. I have no idea when I'll get an Ultra HD TV or player, but I already picked up The Martian and Sicario from Best Buy. I'm not gonna replace existing Blu's I already own anytime soon, but I sure as shit am gonna buy Ultra HD for something new or for something I don't already own, when the option is available. (Also it doesn't hurt that most come with Blu Rays anyhow).

So there you have it, my life story.

PS my old tv still lives a very active lifestyle for an old broad and gets regular use when I play NES/SNES/N64 and when I get new wrestling vhs tapes off ebay.

Last edited by Hazel Motes; 03-15-16 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-16-16, 01:44 AM

Hi-Def CRTs actually have a better picture than any flatscreen, but they never would've been able to make them as big as flatscreens are now. I could never go back to anything less than a 60-inch screen, my next one will be at least 70".
Old 03-16-16, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi-Def CRTs actually have a better picture than any flatscreen, but they never would've been able to make them as big as flatscreens are now. I could never go back to anything less than a 60-inch screen, my next one will be at least 70".
No kidding. I have a decent-sized flat screen LCD for my main setup, but a 12-year old HD CRT TV in the basement that often looks better to my eyes (even limited to 1080i). It's a beast at nearly 150 lbs., which is another reason to put off fully "retiring" it.
Old 03-16-16, 08:55 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

My 32" (or was it 36") Toshiba CRT HDTV was awesome, but I made the mistake of going into the service menu and trying to adjust the overscan out. The picture was just never as good after that.
Old 03-17-16, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder if there ever will be 4K OTA digital tuners.
Old 03-18-16, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Word on the street is that the Panasonic player throws a MUCH better image than the Samsung. Seems like their is something wrong with the video processing with regards to HDR on the Samsung. I might throw mine on Ebay in a month or so and trade up.
Old 03-18-16, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Word on the street is that the Panasonic player throws a MUCH better image than the Samsung. Seems like their is something wrong with the video processing with regards to HDR on the Samsung. I might throw mine on Ebay in a month or so and trade up.
Not surprising. Samsung's first BD player was shit.
Old 03-18-16, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
I was slow to the draw when it came to HD TV and Blu Ray. For some silly reason around 06 when my tube tv finally died, I told myself I didn't really want a plasma or LCD tv, that I didn't like them and that I wanted another tube tv. So thats what I did. I went to Best Buy and searched the store high and low until I found that they were still selling ONE tube tv. A pretty nice 32" Sony. So I bought it. The thing I didn't realize then was that while a lot of people still had tube tv's, this new one I bought was probably going to last me 10 + years and that theres no fucking way I was gonna want to be the last person on the fucking planet in 2016 to have a relic like that as my primary source of visual media. But this didn't really dawn on me or effect me until around 2010 when I really started to get the itch to ditch the relic and get an HDTV and blu ray player. Because I was stubborn and decided I wanted a tube tv, that mean't naturally I wanted a dvd player and a dvd player only plays dvd's, so dvd's are what I bought. I did this for a couple years after the format war was over, I decided I wasn't going to go blu and didn't want to replace over 1000 dvd's. (Another sad little reason I didn't want to go blu was because I HATED the fucking cases, and the ugly inch long blue bar at the top of each case. A depressing bit of aesthetic OCD that is actually reflected in my first ever thread I posted on this board) When I finally decided I was going to buy an HDTV and blu ray player, I was still constantly picking up new dvd's, while leaving the blu rays on the shelf next to them. This.... is the biggest lapse in judgement I've ever had as a collector. Why it didn't occur to me once I decided I was gonna buy an hdtv and blu ray player that I'd probably want some blu rays to go along with them, is a fucking mystery to me. So many criterions bought that I eventually had to sell and replace. I cry salty tears as I type this. Anyhow, eventually it did sink in and I went out and bought a steelbook that was Blu Ray only (Inception in case you were wondering) close to half a year before I bought my hdtv and blu ray player. Hindsight being 20/20 I wish I would have started buying Blu's the day HD DVD threw in the towel. Or at least when Criterion got rid of those shitty cardboard cases. But what are you gonna do.

Anyways, point is. I have no idea when I'll get an Ultra HD TV or player, but I already picked up The Martian and Sicario from Best Buy. I'm not gonna replace existing Blu's I already own anytime soon, but I sure as shit am gonna buy Ultra HD for something new or for something I don't already own, when the option is available. (Also it doesn't hurt that most come with Blu Rays anyhow).

So there you have it, my life story.

PS my old tv still lives a very active lifestyle for an old broad and gets regular use when I play NES/SNES/N64 and when I get new wrestling vhs tapes off ebay.
Eh, some unfortunate decisions there, but life goes on.
Old 03-18-16, 07:46 PM

So network bugs can have even higher resolution!
Old 03-19-16, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So network bugs can have even higher resolution!
Well, I think that there will be a test run for the Masters on Direct TV, so their tuners must be out there now.

I have a feeling that while The Masters is always associated with CBS, this might be a test run for ESPN, since they co-broadcast the event. They've been ramping up to 4K since they officially ditched the 3D channel.

fitprod
Old 03-21-16, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
There's already been some test broadcasts of ATSC 3.0 in 4K.
http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/000...-at-ces/277694
LAS VEGAS—LG is reporting that KHMP-LD is live broadcasting 4K Ultra HDTV with high dynamic range using the new ATSC 3.0 Candidate Standard at CES 2016.

According to LG, the broadcast, from Las Vegas station KHMP-LD’s transmitter on Nevada’s Black Mountain, is delivering clear 4K HDR content, received for the first time on LG’s new ATSC 3.0-enabled receivers at the Las Vegas Convention Center.
It looks like this was a "field test" specifically for CES.

It's not clear when, or if, ATSC 3.0 will be adopted as a broadcast standard by the FCC.
http://blog.videon-central.com/the-n...cast-atsc-3-0/
Old 03-21-16, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
They are probably referring to the HDR to SDR conversion on non-HDR TVs. I doubt the actual HDR picture itself will be 'much' better, if at all. The Samsung doesn't have an on/off for HDR but the Panasonic will.
Old 03-27-16, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Does Sony have a UBD player yet?
Old 03-27-16, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
Does Sony have a UBD player yet?
No, but expect one in the back half of 2016.
Old 03-29-16, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceames
They are probably referring to the HDR to SDR conversion on non-HDR TVs. I doubt the actual HDR picture itself will be 'much' better, if at all. The Samsung doesn't have an on/off for HDR but the Panasonic will.
A reviewer posted a side by side picture of both players running the same disc on the same display. The Samsung HDR was REALLY dim compared to the Panny which was very vivid.

I am aware of the HDR to SDR problem though because it looks like garbage on my 1080p projector.
Old 03-30-16, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Now here's the dilemma for a collector like me that gets jazzed about limited edition steelbooks and store exclusive content. If a new movie is released on Blu in a steelbook or with exclusive content but its 4K Ultra HD counterpart comes in a standard case without the exclusive content, which one do I get? I'm sure tonight will be one of many sleepless nights I ponder this question. hah!
Old 03-30-16, 04:58 AM

I've always gone for the superior format. The Transformers transforming DVD case was cool, but I bought the HD-DVD instead because that was obviously better (though either way it didn't help the movie!)
Old 03-30-16, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never having been a fan of special packaging I would pick the format I wanted it in. But that's easy for me to say. You'll probably end of with both and not open either one.
Old 03-30-16, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the better question is do you buy the 3D/Blu ray bundle (assuming you support 3D and have a setup) which you can enjoy now or start your collection of 4K/Blu ray bundle to enjoy later? That's one of the reasons I skipped The Peanuts movie for now.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.