Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-16, 11:16 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Originally Posted by Coral
I don't think the audio specs are going to be a deciding factor at all. Most people don't have a proper audio set up anyway - and most of those who do will be happy enough with the audio that came on their BD discs.

It's all down to whether people care enough about 4K and physical media. And I'm predicting they won't care.

Right, but I think 4k format will resonate mostly with home theater enthusiasts. So if they're caring enough to buy into a 4k TV, it's a good chance they'll be minding the sound offering as well.
Old 02-07-16, 10:02 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Well, I bought myself a 4K TV (Samsung UN65JS8500 from Amazon Warehouse Deals) and a Roku 4 today.

I'll buy a 4K Blu-ray player when they hit ~200, but I'll probably pick up The Martian in 4K when it's released since I want the film anyway and didn't bother picking up the Blu-ray.
Old 02-10-16, 04:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like many people are already receiving their 4K movies from foxconnect such as the Martian, The Kingsman and Maze runner. A few have received the players as well
Old 02-10-16, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm going to set up the player right now. Wish I had some discs to try but what can you do!
Old 02-12-16, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My TV died last week so I took a bit of my tax return to get a 4K Samsung set. Then just yesterday I went ahead and preordered the UHD Samsung player that comes out next month. The prices of the discs might be a bit high at first but I'll be ready when things settle in a bit.
Old 02-12-16, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

That's great to hear! Now all I have to do is get an Ultra HD Blu-ray player, a UHD-capable receiver, and wait for clearance to get one of LG's 2016-model HDR-capable 4K OLED displays, which...well, we'll see if that happens.
Old 02-12-16, 12:49 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
For now I'll have to "settle" for my 135 inch screen and 1080p 3D projector for now
Old 02-12-16, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
That's great to hear! Now all I have to do is get an Ultra HD Blu-ray player, a UHD-capable receiver, and wait for clearance to get one of LG's 2016-model HDR-capable 4K OLED displays, which...well, we'll see if that happens.
I was torn between the new JVC projectors and waiting for the 2016 oleds. The JVCs are having a lot of trouble working with the Samsung player and no one has figured out why yet. The 2016 oleds leaked prices look way too high. Best bet right now is probably to buy a 2015 OLED when they close them out.
Old 02-12-16, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bruceames
Fox said they went back to the source for The Martian, and it was implied that they did the same for the other movies as well. I would be shocked if I wasn't watching anything above 2k resolution. I've seen plenty of 4K and I know how it mades skylines and crowds of people (etc) looks so much more detailed, and there were a few such shots in the movie where I felt the resolution had to have been higher than 2K.

The only other thing to cause a difference would be bit rate I guess, but I can't see that being the only factor (but I'm not an expert so I could be wrong).

If it is just bit rate, then the difference between the BD and a true 4K movie like Sicario will be astounding (from my viewing distance at least).
Resolution is always a good thing, but the bit rate makes a huge difference. Like I said in an earlier post, check out some 4K streaming content on a native 1080p panel. Native 4K from a disc will be even better I assume.
Old 02-12-16, 04:38 PM

is it really that big of difference between HD and 4k?
Old 02-12-16, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
is it really that big of difference between HD and 4k?
Not if you don't have an HDR TV and you don't sit very close. I don't have an HDR TV but I sit close enough to appreciate the difference. It isn't as much as DVD-->Blu-ray, but then Kingsmen wasn't native 4K either. But it was obviously sharper and more detailed, even watching from 10 feet away.

Whatever made it look that much better, the fact is that it does and I'm hooked.
Old 02-12-16, 04:50 PM

Not if you don't have an HDR TV and you don't sit very close. I don't have an HDR TV but I sit close enough to appreciate the difference. It isn't as much as DVD-->Blu-ray, but then Kingsmen wasn't native 4K either. But it was obviously sharper and more detailed, even watching from 10 feet away.

Whatever made it look that much better, the fact is that it does and I'm hooked.
that's what i was afraid of. i just upgraded my main watching TV, 3D and all, but just don't have it in me to upgrade again...
Old 02-12-16, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why so? It still has more than a 2k camera, doesn't it?
As Josh Z explained, it has more resolution in the taking area, but not a significant amount more in the usable frame extraction.
Old 02-12-16, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
As Josh Z explained, it has more resolution in the taking area, but not a significant amount more in the usable frame extraction.
Well if they weren't able to extract any more detail by going back to the source then that's actually good news because that means the picture looks much sharper and more detailed due to bit rate alone. Then everyone benefits regardless of whether it's from a 2K or 4K DI, or whether they have HDR TV or not (heck, it'll probably look better on a 1080p TV too)
Old 02-12-16, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Fox said they went back to the source for The Martian, and it was implied that they did the same for the other movies as well. I would be shocked if I wasn't watching anything above 2k resolution. I've seen plenty of 4K and I know how it mades skylines and crowds of people (etc) looks so much more detailed, and there were a few such shots in the movie where I felt the resolution had to have been higher than 2K.

The only other thing to cause a difference would be bit rate I guess, but I can't see that being the only factor (but I'm not an expert so I could be wrong).
There's a post on AVS today where someone compared the UHD and regular Blu-ray editions of The Martian and claims that the only differences are in color and contrast, but (he insists) zero visible difference in resolution.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-bl...l#post41512417

Again, I'm not passing judgment here. I don't have a UHD display. I haven't seen this for myself. Just passing along someone else's first impression.

Well if they weren't able to extract any more detail by going back to the source then that's actually good news because that means the picture looks much sharper and more detailed due to bit rate alone.
I think it's more likely the result of different color and contrast grading. Even without an HDR display, the UHD transfer should still look different than the Blu-ray transfer just due to the different grading. Pumped-up contrasts can create the perception of a sharper picture.

Last edited by Josh Z; 02-12-16 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-12-16, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because of HDR and HDCP 2.2/HDMI 2.0 and the actual HDMI cables people are using it sounds like getting everything working correctly is a disaster so far .... and I'm one of the people that really wants to get buying 4K discs. I wish Fox would send mine out already.
Old 02-13-16, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
My TV died last week so I took a bit of my tax return to get a 4K Samsung set. Then just yesterday I went ahead and preordered the UHD Samsung player that comes out next month. The prices of the discs might be a bit high at first but I'll be ready when things settle in a bit.

Not sure where you ordered the player, but in case you hadn't noticed from other posts in this very thread, it is already shipping. I think mainly from Best Buy orders.

I just got a 4K TV as well. I've always just used a PS3 as my Blu-ray player and it won't do lossless audio on 3D movies, so I'll get a UHD player when there is some competition and prices come down. I do like that the Samsung has dual HDMI outputs since my receiver won't pass a 4K signal. Hopefully other manufacturers will do the same.
Old 02-13-16, 03:51 AM
Banned

Only my opinon but this couldn't be farther from the truth. I have a 65 in 4K that doesn't support HDR and the picture is significantly better than HD. I'm waiting for my UHD player to be delivered but Netlfix 4K looks fantastic as does Directv 4K. HD now looks soft
Old 02-13-16, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

DirecTV's HD looks like upscaled DVD. It's nowhere near blu-ray quality.
Old 02-16-16, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow so no one here has a player/movies yet? Not really seeing a lot of interest, unless there's another thread that I don't know about.
Old 02-16-16, 10:24 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Nope, this is about right for this format. There will be a select few of us who end up getting into it, and a lot who don't who will say how badly it has failed.

Also, the format just came out, so allow a few months while the absorption rate sets in.
Old 02-16-16, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies

Also, the format just came out, so allow a few months while the absorption rate sets in.
True, the actual launch date (if you can call it a launch) is 3/1. Looks like you had to have preordered the player specifically from Best Buy (although a few says they got it from Crutchfield) in order to have it right now. They say there won't be players in stock until the end of the month.

BB has some movies but mostly they are still in the back of the store so it's better to order online for store pickup.
Old 02-16-16, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Nope, this is about right for this format. There will be a select few of us who end up getting into it, and a lot who don't who will say how badly it has failed.
It's not going to fail, judging by the initial impressions. And this batch doesn't even have true 4k resolution.
Old 02-16-16, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Wow so no one here has a player/movies yet? Not really seeing a lot of interest, unless there's another thread that I don't know about.
I am waiting until there is at least 13 music concerts on Ultra HD Blu-ray.

I have a lot of unwatched Blu-ray movies so It would be silly too invest into something that has so few choices and it will take awhile before people take notice.
Old 02-16-16, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I am waiting until there is at least 13 music concerts on Ultra HD Blu-ray.

I have a lot of unwatched Blu-ray movies so It would be silly too invest into something that has so few choices and it will take awhile before people take notice.
I have a lot of unwatched Blu-rays too, as I did DVDs when I bought an HD DVD player at launch. Guess I'm an addict, lol.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.