Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-16, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Re: Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
I was an early adopter for HD-DVD, but don't consider it a mistake at all. I got to watch Blade Runner in HD for a very low price.
I guess it depends on how you define 'early adopter'. Blade Runner didn't hit HD DVD until a year and a half after the format launched.

The selection of HD DVDs in its first few months was generally dismal -- even worse, I'd argue, than Ultra HD Blu-ray has on offer.

I had a bunch of issues with my HD-A1: aside from being overpriced, it was bulky, clunky, and I found myself fighting to get some discs to play.
Old 01-06-16, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I guess it depends on how you define 'early adopter'. Blade Runner didn't hit HD DVD until a year and a half after the format launched.
True- I guess that's a better explanation of my lack of regret about HD-DVD, rather than a representation of the initial launch line-up.
Old 01-06-16, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceames
So according to that spoiler pic, Shout will be including the 3D with the UHD BD. That's good. Hopefully the majors will be as well, since it would really suck to be forced to choose being 3D and 4K, or feel compelled to buy both (such as the latest Star Wars movie).
I agree. Though I would just stick with the 3D release since that would be the only way I would watch it. But if it includes UHD & 3D, I would not hesitate in picking those releases up.

But first I will need a 4K player and 4K projector. And who knows when that will happen?
Old 01-06-16, 10:17 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I have a 60" 4K already, but at $399 for the hardware, I may hold back for a bit. And as already mentioned, the first wave of releases isn't all that compelling. Not to mention the $39.99 price tag. I can see these being $20/under in about a year, or even next holiday season. If they want to spur sales, the hardware/software prices will have to drop. Even though there will be no format war this time, I'm fairly certain the hardware will be buggy to begin with.

I also want released some really good large OLED panels (65"-up) to be priced around $3k and under. But I doight that'll happen - for the next several years...
Old 01-06-16, 04:33 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Being region-free didn't give HD DVD much of an advantage, but I respect that this situation is different (no competing physical format).

I might buy in with a $399 player... $499 if it was OPPO.
Old 01-06-16, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctorossi
For dynamic range/color gamut, but Super 35 productions probably won't gain a lot from 4k in spatial resolution.
That was a joke. The way you can tell is the LOL smiley.
Old 01-07-16, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Anamorphic has more resolution than Super 35?
Yes. It has a taking area almost twice as large.
Old 01-07-16, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
How many times will they do The Fifth Element before they get it right?
We will have at least three 8K "nearly identical to master" releases of The Fifth Element before we get True Lies released on anything else it seems.
Old 01-08-16, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

I'm slowly resigning myself to the fact that we just aren't going to get those in HD
I've got True Lies on D-VHS
Old 01-09-16, 11:36 AM

Sony leaves Ultra HD Blu-ray player at home, brings 4k SVOD to 2016 CES instead:

http://hd-report.com/2016/01/08/sony...-svod-instead/
Old 01-09-16, 12:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Sounds like Sony is having a really hard time getting their shit together. Might as well just have out a big sign that said "Stay tuned for 2017".
Old 01-09-16, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Sounds like Sony is having a really hard time getting their shit together. Might as well just have out a big sign that said "Stay tuned for 2017".
It is odd though that Sony does not have an Ultra player ready for launch.

I do wonder if the backed out of the way at the moment in some kind of deal with the others allowing them to launch hardware first.
Old 01-09-16, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

It sounds like Sony doesn't have a lot of faith in the format.
Old 01-09-16, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
That. And/Or the fact that they don't want to give in to another format when BD is still finding its legs and they make money on every BD manufactured.
Old 01-09-16, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Being region-free didn't give HD DVD much of an advantage, but I respect that this situation is different (no competing physical format).

I might buy in with a $399 player... $499 if it was OPPO.
Not me the days of me spending that kind of money on any type of player is over. I brought my share of $300-$400 dvd & blu-ray players. I will wait first until I get a 4K tv & then when they drop to below $150.
Old 01-09-16, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
It is odd though that Sony does not have an Ultra player ready for launch.

I do wonder if the backed out of the way at the moment in some kind of deal with the others allowing them to launch hardware first.
Originally Posted by Coral
Originally Posted by Spiderbite
That. And/Or the fact that they don't want to give in to another format when BD is still finding its legs and they make money on every BD manufactured.
This entirely. Sony was ruthless getting Blu-ray to market so they could control EVERYTHING from the point of manufacturing fees to Blu-ray players and everything that had their logo.

Now?

Wouldn't be surprised if Sony tried to even cut a niche market more by launching their own version of Ultra-HD. UBD or some crap, and most of those will be upconverted BD releases.

Maybe UH-DVD has a chance!

Still have my Top O The Line Toshiby!
Old 01-09-16, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Sounds like Sony is having a really hard time getting their shit together.
That's been true for a long time. They started out with DVD pretty well, but then it seems their media division and hardware division were two separate entities with conflicting values. They released most titles in 16x9 because common sense would say that would sell more Sony 16x9 TVs, but then they reissued many titles in only 4x3! I was pretty sure that they would mishandle Blu-Ray and I was pretty much right about that- movies that they owned, on the FORMAT that they owned, were being licensed out to Twilight Time in high-priced, limited, mail-order only editions while others were licensed to Mill Creek which is basically a bargain basement label! (Not that there's anything wrong with low prices, but some of their releases haven't been the best quality.)

Blu-Ray is NOT perfect and I'm glad they're trying to put out an improved format- if they do it right then maybe it really will be the last physical media format we need. But at least with what they're putting out initially along with the lack of 3D when Blu-Ray already has that, and the general lack of excitement even amongst enthusiasts, shows that it's got a long road ahead of it. I just hope that the industry realizes that like 3D, this won't take off right away and will likely need a few years to really catch on, hopefully also ironing out all its technical issues.
Old 01-09-16, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Wouldn't be surprised if Sony tried to even cut a niche market more by launching their own version of Ultra-HD. UBD or some crap, and most of those will be upconverted BD releases.
Sony has the largest library of no-bullshit 4K masters in the industry, so I wouldn't sweat about upconverts from them too much.

I think Sony's proprietary thing is going to be this streaming platform. They're not going to bother with their own proprietary physical medium; there's nothing more proprietary, after all, than owning the entire ecosystem and not having to share. They announced support for Ultra HD BD on a software level pretty early on, which they presumably wouldn't do if they were going down their own road.

The most worrisome thing here is that Sony basically gave up on Blu-ray outside of day/date releases, paring back their TV-on-BD support quite a bit and content to license everything out to smaller labels instead. While they're supporting Ultra HD BD for now, who knows how long that will last?
Old 01-09-16, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The party for UHD is over before it started if Sony doesn't support the format in practice. They were heavily invested in the idea of BD winning the format war because they believed losing it would affect the PS3's market share.

I wouldn't freak out so quickly that Sony didn't show a player. That could be explained away by a number of things that have nothing to do with their intended level of support for UHD.
Old 01-09-16, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by trespoochies
It's not so much a format war this time as it is trying to figure out the best way to deliver 4K content since all TV's will be that way in a few years.
I really doubt that'll be the case.
Even today with a vast number of ways to get 1080p content, there are still plenty of 720p TVs being made/sold. There'll be less people jumping on Ultra HD-BD than regular BD... and a lot less 4K content available elsewhere (ie. OTA) - so there'll be less need to produce higher-cost 4K TVs that many won't take advantage of.
Old 01-10-16, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I believe a plurality of Blu-ray owners will eventually migrate to UHD. However, it may take longer than the studios want.

The signals each major Hollywood studio sends to the market are a critical component of UHD gaining market acceptance. I do worry about retailers balking at carrying another physical format in any significant capacity.
Old 01-10-16, 02:15 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I don't know if I said this earlier in the thread, or if I said something completely different...

But my current stance is: I'll start buying UHD discs (of titles I care about) immediately, but only if they come bundled with a Blu-ray or at bare minimum, a UHD Ultraviolet digital copy. But the films have to be a true 4K master, not a 2K upconversion.

I'll hold off on a UHD disc player until they're cheap enough for me. A $500 OPPO would be nice, but I'd probably skip it this round and go with something under $200.
Old 01-10-16, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
But my current stance is: I'll start buying UHD discs (of titles I care about) immediately, but only if they come bundled with a Blu-ray or at bare minimum...
If a lot of people take this stance, then I think it'll be even tougher for UHD-BD to have a chance.
There are a lot of BD movies that don't come with a DVD copy - and DVDs are much cheaper to make. I think the cost of BDs will make the bundling of it with UHD-BDs more rare since it'll drive up the cost too much.
Old 01-10-16, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I could see myself buying UHD if a Blu-ray was bundled too, but the price would have to be right which I can't imagine it will be for my limit anytime soon.
Old 01-10-16, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I don't know if I said this earlier in the thread, or if I said something completely different...

But my current stance is: I'll start buying UHD discs (of titles I care about) immediately, but only if they come bundled with a Blu-ray or at bare minimum, a UHD Ultraviolet digital copy. But the films have to be a true 4K master, not a 2K upconversion.

I'll hold off on a UHD disc player until they're cheap enough for me. A $500 OPPO would be nice, but I'd probably skip it this round and go with something under $200.
Considering my own Oppo BDP-93 became a literal brick with them not being very helpful at all, I'd invest in a Samsung or Panasonic player, where both companies are heavily invested and don't rely on their hip name to sell products exclusively, and will take off their beanies and put down their $10 coffee drinks to actually trouble-shoot an issue. You'll save a lot of money and headache.

Not saying I won't EVER buy an Oppo again, but with technology changing so fast, Oppo let me down and wasn't offering solutions to my Blu-ray issues. I mean, it literally stopped working after about 2 years. Out of warranty. I was fucked. My $80 Samsung BD player performs about as good (actually loads discs quicker), and I haven't had any issues (other than the top touch-navigation being super sensitive but I don't normally use it to eject or play discs anyway as I use the remote). It also navigates much quicker through online streaming apps.

I'm sure we'll have some Oppo users claim just the opposite, and I welcome that input, but Oppo is not all that, and has went the way of so many other tech companies, which is, bending over to the studios and making their products incompatible with discs because of ever-changing software protection paranoia.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.