Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you rent your movies?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: How do you rent your movies?
Video store (Local or chain)
5.77%
Red Box
26.92%
Netflix mail service
32.69%
On Demand from cable or satellite provider
5.77%
On Demand from online provider like Itunes or Amazon
25.00%
Borrow for free from local library
25.00%
Rent for a fee from local library
1.92%
On Demand from Video console like PS or XBox
3.85%
I'm filthy rich, I buy every single new release I want to see. No renting
11.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-14, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Just wanted to see how you guys rent your new release Blu-Rays or DVDs or even via On Demand.

I know for a lot of you video stores don't exist anymore.

I still rent, at least 2-4 titles per week mostly from my local video store. I don't blind buy anymore and a lot of times, I just want to re-visit a movie I liked in the theaters to decide if it has enough replay value and worth buying or not.

I don't consider Netflix streaming part of this. This is for Brand spanking New Release titles you pay for on an a la carte basis.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-28-14 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-28-14, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: How do you rent your movies?

I typically don't rent anymore. I'm not rich by any means but the stuff I want to see I usually just buy eventually.
Old 08-28-14, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Netflix mail.

If I enjoy a movie enough to want to see it again I'll buy it, if it's a movie I'm only slightly interested in I'll wait for it come to cable or netflix streaming.

I admit to having no love lost for Blockbuster video but I do really miss the old days of renting from a mom and pop store. Sure, it's a lot more convenient now but it's just not the same.

I can honestly say that I've never used redbox.
Old 08-28-14, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Occasionally the library. Otherwise, Redbox has been the go-to option for me. Seems as if free codes have been available on a somewhat frequent basis lately, so I've rarely paid anything out of pocket to "rent" newer releases.
Old 08-29-14, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to rent more titles from Redbox, but the selection is so limited and I think they have a poor system of stocking their kiosks. I think under-utilized.

No doubt most people are interested in renting new releases they havn't seen yet. The problem with Redbox is they have 4 to 5 new titles per week. The remainder of available titles are the same stale titles that sit around for months.

I believe their rentals would double if they had 4 to 5 new releases per week and rotated older popular titles. This involves labor, but considering what most companies pay unskilled labor I doubt if it would put much of a dent in their profits.

Example: My local Redbox has the following titles sitting in their kiosk for months:
Wolf Of Wallstreet, Beast Of The Bering Sea (WTF?), Vampire Academy, Pompeii,
I Frankenstein, The Dinosaur Experiment, Last Days On Mars, etc. etc. etc. Along with
the normal collection of B Horror movies soon to be on Netflix (if they're not already there).

Why don't they rotate older popular titles?
Like: Apocalypto, Cape Fear, Goodfellas, Das Boot, District 9, Fargo, Good Will Hunting,
Pale Rider, Papillon, The Shining, Pulp Fiction, etc. etc. etc. There are thousands of good
movies people wood actually want to see again.

Last edited by dvdshonna; 08-29-14 at 04:21 AM.
Old 08-29-14, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I plead the fifth.
Old 08-29-14, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Library. They get all of the new releases. As long as you can request them fast enough (the usually get anywhere between 40 - 100 copies of most movies), you can usually end up with them the day they come out. And I love the fact that they hold movies for 7 days, and when you do finally check them out, you get to keep for 7 days. Same for 360/PS3/Wii/Wii U games and most new CD releases (just picked up the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack ) .
Old 08-29-14, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I rent primarily through Vudu or Amazon via my Roku and/or XBox One.

Right now I have a bunch of XBox credit, so I've often been using their own service, but I prefer Vudu over any of the others (even though it's usually not the cheapest, it provides the best HD image).
Old 08-29-14, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Free from my local library. My local library has a great Blu-ray collection and they get all of the new releases. They don't take reservations so your timing has to be good. A month from release date is usually the longest I have to wait.
Old 08-29-14, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Library for me for my rentals. They've been getting blu-rays for around a year now. They get most of the titles I want, and the ones that they don't, I request, so I get them anyhow.
Old 08-29-14, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

99 times out of 100 is Redbox. Occasionally a streaming flick from Amazon/Xbox/Vudu.
Old 08-29-14, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

The last video store shut down about three years ago. I usually just use the library to rent movies.

They normally only have one or two copies available so it's hit-or-miss if you want a title at a particular time.

Downloading and streaming, so far, haven't really appealed to me. Part of it is just the logistics of my desktop computer being nowhere near my TV set mixed with indifference to whole process.

I miss the video store in a nostalgic sense but not in a practical one. In today's market it doesn't make sense to rent a movie for $3-$6 when you can buy used movies for a $1 at a pawn shop or rent new releases for free at the library.

I do miss the old mom-and-pop stores back in the VHS days when they were visually exciting to walk into with the movie posters all over the walls or the huge cardboard stand-up displays the studios used to provide for them.

It was fun seeing which used VHS tapes were being blown-out for $14.95(!) or checking in to see what posters they were re-selling when they pulled them down from the wall.

Last edited by orangerunner; 08-29-14 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-29-14, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

The library or the site-that-shall-not-be-named.

Edit: I guess I don't consider having Netflix and Huluplus as "rental" services. We have those for much of our viewing.

Last edited by milo bloom; 08-29-14 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-29-14, 10:05 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Netflix...3 at a time.
Old 08-29-14, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

There are no video rental stores near me so I usually find something on NetFlix streaming (and home media is cheap enough I can usually purchase something of interest).

If I rent then I grit my teeth and use RedBox due to no other options (even the libraries here are slim). RedBox seems so narrow and limited, plus I miss being able to browse through rows of cases at a video rental place - renting movies out of a vending machine feels un-natural.

Probably time for me to consider Amazon streaming or Vudu for rentals.
Old 08-29-14, 10:56 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Typically On Demand streaming through either satellite (Dish) or Amazon. I usually have coupons or points for one or the other.
Old 08-29-14, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Redbox, but rarely. Maybe once every 6 months or so.
Old 08-29-14, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Redbox and the library.
Old 08-29-14, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Red Box, but we haven't really done that in awhile.
Old 08-29-14, 01:40 PM

I get them free from the library. There isn't a ton of blu-rays in the network my library is connected to, but it's free so I can't complain. My only issue is with seasons sets. Some libraries have the borrow time set at 3 weeks for a season set, others only allow a week. It can be really hard to get through a season in a week sometimes.
Old 08-29-14, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

My library mostly carries educational DVDs & older movies on DVD. Brand new BD's... Most of their employees are volunteers, so that kind of shows they have no money for new release movies.

Plus, they charge for borrowing them and charge a 75 cent fee to hold them. I'm better off going to my local Mom and Pop store, which I do have in my area, and renting new release BDs for $2.

I've donated some movies to them in the past, but rather than putting them on the shelves, they put them for sale in their used book and movie section. That shows they are hurting for funding.

You guys who have libraries with hundreds of brand new movies are pretty lucky so they must have tons of money for funding.
Old 08-29-14, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I use Netflix by Mail for the majority of new releases, but occasionally I'll also buy an on-demand title from my cable service. I'd use Amazon and iTunes more often, but I always have synchronization problems where the audio is several seconds out-of-sync with the video with them.
Old 08-29-14, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Mostly VUDU. I like that the movies are in their OAR & have at least Dolby Digital Plus audio.

As someone who grew up on video stores & remembers the crushing disappointment of a wall of empty boxes, it's still pretty cool to have a fully stocked video store in my home available 24-7.
Old 08-29-14, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
As someone who grew up on video stores & remembers the crushing disappointment of a wall of empty boxes, it's still pretty cool to have a fully stocked video store in my home available 24-7.
Yeah, we've forgotten the days where we couldn't watch something because it was always rented out, or the excitement of being able to nab a brand-new release the first week it came out...then calling your pals on the phone, "Yo dude, I've got GHOSTBUSTERS!!!"
Old 08-29-14, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

I use Netflix mail for new release but I usually have to wait for a week or two because of popular demand.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.