DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Criterion Wish List (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/621921-criterion-wish-list.html)

Daytripper 08-22-14 10:06 PM

Criterion Wish List

I know there are dozens of Criterion threads all over DVD Talk, but I didn't see one where people talked about titles they wish got a Criterion release. Mods, if there is one remotely close, please merge. My list would include (and to be continued):

"Bound For Glory" (Hal Ashby)
"Hedwig and the Angry Inch"
"Ponette"
"Atlantic City" and "Pretty Baby"
"Slither"
"The Quiet Earth"
"Ghost World"
"The Hunger"
"Choose Me" (Alan Rudolph)
"Mulholland Drive" (R1 release)
"The Man Who Fell to Earth"
"The Daytrippers"
"Glengarry Glen Ross"
"Breaker Morant"
"The Rapture"
"Far From Heaven"
"Buffalo '66"
"Three O'Clock High"
"Gas, Food, Lodging"
"The Last Seduction"
"Kiss of the Spider Woman"
"Body Snatchers" (Abel Ferrara)

Supermallet 08-22-14 10:18 PM

Re: Criterion Wish List

The Man Who Fell To Earth is already in The Criterion Collection, although it appears to be OOP:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-...n=715515034128

E Unit 08-22-14 10:20 PM

I'd like:

Bram Stoker's Dracula
The English Patient
Evita

I know we can pick anything, but as these were on laserdisc, I'd like them refreshed on blu. I like all 3 a lot.

Daytripper 08-22-14 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 12208923)
The Man Who Fell To Earth is already in The Criterion Collection, although it appears to be OOP:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-...n=715515034128

Cannot believe I didn't know this. Fuck. Oh well. Ebay or Half.com, here I come.

Daytripper 08-22-14 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 12208924)
I'd like:

Bram Stoker's Dracula
The English Patient
Evita

I know we can pick anything, but as these were on laserdisc, I'd like them refreshed on blu. I like all 3 a lot.

All three of these are on BD already.

Giles 08-22-14 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 12208931)
All three of these are on BD already.

not with all the Criterion laserdisc supplements.

~

in regards to 'The English Patient' - the bluray actually features more than Criterion's laserdisc (but has a couple of supplements exclusive to the LD version):

http://d12.laserdiscs.biz/images/lar...CC1487L_01.jpg

blu-ray supplements:

- Audio Commentary with Screenwriter/Director Anthony Minghella. Minghella is his usual erudite, understated self, delivering a lot of background on the film, from the adaptive process to filming to casting. He gives some insight into what the actors are like in "real life" as well, which is kind of fun.
- Audio Commentary with Screenwriter/Director Anthony Minghella, Producer Saul Zaentz, and The English Patient Author Michael Ondaatje. This is a perhaps more interesting commentary, if only because it delves so deeply into how difficult it was to adapt Ondaatje's unusually structured novel to the medium of film.
- About Michael Ondaatje (SD; 21:57) is a really good in-depth overview of the author which includes copious interview segments with Ondaatje. Ondaatje and others talk about adapting the novel to the medium of film, and Ondaatje also reads from the novel.
- From Novel to Screenplay – Interviews with Cast and Crew (SD; 7:11) features comments from Minghella, Dafoe, Ondaatje, publisher Louis Dennys, Zaentz, Ellen Seligman (one of Ondaatje's editors), and others discussing the formidable challenges posed by the novel's unorthodox structure.
- The Formidable Saul Zaentz (SD; 1:59) is a brief profile of the film's producer.
- A Historical Look at the Real Count Almásy (SD; 8:18) features Robert Collins, History Professor at UC Santa Barbara, gives some fascinating information about the real life character who is fictionalized in the novel.
Filmmaker Conversations includes interviews with Minghella (SD; 30:45); Zaentz (SD; 19:34); Ondaatje (SD: 6:44); and editor Walter Murch (SD: 25:51).
- The Work of Stuart Craig – Production Designer (SD; 3:57) is a brief look at the film's elegant production design.
- The Eyes of Phil Bray – Still Photographer (SD; 2:50) highlights one of the crew members who rarely gets any recognition, the still photographer.
- Master Class with Anthony Minghella – Deleted Scenes (SD; 19:59) offers the director discussing several deleted sequences, including an ostrich-centric segment which Minghella was especially upset couldn't be included in the final cut.
- The Documentary: Making of The English Patient (SD; 53:01) is a good, in-depth look at the film's very involved production.

E Unit 08-22-14 10:47 PM

Yep, that's why. I liked the extras on Dracula, those were really good. And even the non-Criterion laserdisc release had a making of that was different than what was on the Criterion and on DVD and blu. and the Criterion of Evita had a good commentary track by Alan Parker as well as a few good extras.

Maxflier 08-22-14 10:47 PM

Lilya-4-Ever

Supermallet 08-22-14 11:02 PM

A John Waters box set with Pink Flamingos, Female Trouble, Desperate Living, and Polyester plus his earlier films like Multiple Maniacs.

inri222 08-22-14 11:05 PM

Dogville
Don't Look Now
Werckmeister Harmonies
Stalker
Mirror
Los Olvidados
Come and See
The Conformist
The Tenant
Dancer in the Dark
Spider
Humanite
Beau Trevail
Pixote
Let the Right One In
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
Crash (1996)
Dead Presidents
Sonatine

E Unit 08-22-14 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 12208952)
Sonatine

Bravo. Some Beat Takeshi would make for some great Criterions. Also Fireworks and why not, Outrage.

Hazel Motes 08-22-14 11:35 PM

http://6f9e5b2993b2676fe5af-84a7d838...vie-poster.jpg

Supermallet 08-22-14 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jory (Post 12208964)
#1 on my wish list is The American Friend, the brilliant adaptation of Patricia Highsmith's Ripley's Game from Wim Wenders. Criterion released the other great Ripley film, Purple Noon (adapted from The Talented Mr. Ripley), in 2012 and I've been hoping for a release of The American Friend ever since. I saw some mock-up artwork for a Criterion Blu-ray a while back, but I still have no idea if it was just something that someone did for fun or if it was something official that leaked. The DVD is fine, but I would buy a Criterion Blu-ray at list price if I had to.

I'm also hoping for Le Samourai to get a Blu-ray release so I don't have to spend $25 on Criterion's DVD.

Now that you mention Wim Wenders, it's about time for a decked out release of the director's cut of Until The End of the World.

bluetoast 08-22-14 11:51 PM

Fritz the Cat
The Thief of Bagdad (upgrade to BD)
The Boy With Green Hair - haven't seen it since I was a kid, but I think it'd be a good addition, plus that title would make for a cool cover
Blame it on Rio - I doubt this would ever be considered :lol: If not that, then Bedazzled.

And I was about to say The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, but I remember reading it was coming...now that I look at it, it's only part of a box set.

TheDuke 08-23-14 12:09 AM

The Virgin Suicides
Magnolia
Stalker
John Waters set, just like the one supermallet described, would be awesome.
Paris is Burning
Ghost World
Mulholland Drive
Lost Highway
City of God
Upstream Color
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf
24 Hour Party People
Cache

Supermallet 08-23-14 12:30 AM

If Magnolia is ever added I'll freak out worse than the people complaining about Tootsie.

TheDuke 08-23-14 12:42 AM

Why?

E Unit 08-23-14 12:44 AM

Cause it sucks.

Daytripper 08-23-14 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 12209001)
If Magnolia is ever added I'll freak out worse than the people complaining about Tootsie.

In a good way or bad way?

Let me say thumbs up to "24 Hour Party People" and "Cache". And I'd like to add, "Marie Antoinette".

My Other Self 08-23-14 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 12208939)
Yep, that's why. I liked the extras on Dracula, those were really good. And even the non-Criterion laserdisc release had a making of that was different than what was on the Criterion and on DVD and blu.

Isn't the Bram Stoker's Dracula BD that Sony put out considered one of the worst transfers on the format as a whole? I seem to recall people clamoring that Sony fucked up big time with it.

E Unit 08-23-14 12:48 AM

It's one of the earlier examples of the color palate being fucked with.

My Other Self 08-23-14 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 12209014)
It's one of the earlier examples of the color palate being fucked with.

Sony, of all the studios, seems more eager to license their films out. Maybe a Criterion down the read isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Supermallet 08-23-14 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 12209010)
In a good way or bad way?

Let me say thumbs up to "24 Hour Party People" and "Cache". And I'd like to add, "Marie Antoinette".

In the worst way, unless PTA suddenly saw the light and offered Criterion a brand new cut that was 90 minutes long and ditched half the characters, the Aimee Mann, and the ending.

Daytripper 08-23-14 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 12209018)
In the worst way, unless PTA suddenly saw the light and offered Criterion a brand new cut that was 90 minutes long and ditched half the characters, the Aimee Mann, and the ending.

I thought Aimee was the only good thing about that dreadful film. But open to other versions.

Supermallet 08-23-14 02:16 AM

Here's what I wrote about the image on Dracula when I reviewed it:

I suppose there's no point beating around the bush. This AVC-encoded 1080p 1.85:1 transfer of Dracula looks very underwhelming at a first glance. There's almost no new detail distinguishable from the DVD versions. The picture is very soft and extremely dark. The drop off to black is quite noticeable. Details in shadow are practically not there. Now, to be fair, Dracula was shot soft, and a lot of the in-camera effects used don't help. But even then, there should be some sort of difference between a 480p transfer of the film and 1080p. In this case, the difference is almost negligible.

These are technical issues. There are aesthetic concerns that are worth mentioning as well. This transfer of Dracula was supervised by a representative of American Zoetrope, who relayed Francis Ford Coppola's wishes on how the film should look. The final product contains some major changes from the way the movie has looked previously. Dracula is a stylized film, and the colors used to reflect that: Vibrant tints of orange and blue gave the film an otherworldly look. Now, a good majority of the colors have been drained, at times making the film look almost black and white. Other changes, such as turning a light from white to green, have been made for no discernible reason. There is some debate as to how closely these changes reflect Coppola's actual desires. But until we get some kind of statement from Coppola denouncing this transfer, I can only assume that this is at least a reasonable approximation of what he would have done had he personally supervised it.

Since my publication of this review, I have conversed with Kim Aubry, post production supervisor on the 1992 release of Dracula and freelance producer of the bonus content on this new release. According to Kim, "I was never satisfied that home video and TV editions of Dracula looked much like the release prints that were sent to movie theaters back in 1992....The feeling in the home video business was: the transfer had to be bright, it had to be saturated and colorful, it had to "punch" and it had to exist within the very limited palette of NTSC TV specifications. Allowing a diffuse shadowy background set to taper off to obscurity...that level of subtlety could not be seen or reproduced by most TVs, and so the levels were cranked up. TV versions of Dracula revealed much more of Dracula's castle set backgrounds than the original film prints did." Kim adds, "Simply put, the newer transfers are much closer to the final answer print which was the filmmaker's ideal at the time. What I can tell you is that this new HD transfer is as close (overall) to MY memory of the original film as anything that I have seen, and I worked round-the-clock completing Dracula in Summer-Fall 1992. (I saw a LOT of answer prints and release prints at a LOT of screenings.)" (Note: These comments are the sole opinion of Kim Aubry and are not to be considered official statements by Sony or American Zoetrope).

Furthermore, renowned film restorer Robert Harris (he of Lawrence of Arabia fame) also gave the transfer high marks, echoing many of Kim's comments, stating that the limitations of older televisions required home video editions that looked quite different from the original theatrical release. He goes on to call it "one of the most perfect [releases] to come from the Sony vaults." On the other hand, I've received many firsthand accounts from people who have either seen the film recently, or remember seeing it in 1992, and even got comments from a projectionist who ran the film for months during its original release, all who claim that the colors here are not representative of the original prints.

I should stop here and say we're really talking about two different things: The colors and the detail. I would imagine that there is more detail to be found in the 35mm than what we're getting here. But I am willing to take the word of both Kim Aubry and Robert Harris that this is an excellent representation of what we would get on film. To that end, I have raised the image quality rating to three stars. Simply due to the way it was shot, Dracula will never look crystal clear in high definition. But if this truly is closer to Francis Ford Coppola's vision, then I'm all for it. As far as the colors go, there's clearly some debate as to how close these are to the colors presented in the original theatrical release. But there is no debate that this edition does look different from all previous home video releases, and those who have grown accustomed to the look of the film as presented on previous DVDs or laserdiscs may want to hold on to those older versions. I myself actually like these colors and take no issue with them, but in this particular case, every one will just have to decide for themselves.