Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Edge of Tomorrow (3D, 2D) -- Oct. 7th, 2014

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Edge of Tomorrow (3D, 2D) -- Oct. 7th, 2014

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-14, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Edge of Tomorrow (3D, 2D) -- Oct. 7th, 2014

I wonder if it's an extra disc, crammed on the main feature or digital content.
Originally Posted by applesandrice
The title of the film hasn't been changed to "Live.Die.Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow". It's still "Edge of Tomorrow". The cover art which was cobbled together for the release was poorly conceived, and understandably misleading. However, every other official appearance of the title (such as what's shown in the steelbook photo above, the film's Facebook page and website, and even the credit text on the back of the cover) still shows the simpler title.
iTunes and Redbox have it as Live. Die. Repeat. : Edge of Tomorrow.
Old 10-01-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
Yes, and I'd wager that it was a mistake resulting from the stupid art direction behind the cover art. Nowhere else in any of the official artwork or press materials from Warner Bros. does the film title appear as anything other than "Edge of Tomorrow".
Old 10-01-14, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Amazon also lists it as Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow.
Old 10-01-14, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, while the title isn't officially changed (I.E. the title card & printed credits still say "Edge of Tomorrow"), they seem to be rebranding it under this new name for home video.

Originally Posted by My Other Self
Also Vudu, and Target , and even wbshop.com

I actually have yet to see a retailer that leaves off the "Live Die Repeat" thing.
Old 10-02-14, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm still inclined to believe that's a mistake that's just being perpetuated based on that stupid cover art. Warner Bros. itself is still listing the title as simply "Edge of Tomorrow".

If it really is being re-branded, they're being terribly inconsistent about it.
Old 10-02-14, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Best Buy exclusive:
Curious if they're going the Target route as I assume it'd say Bonus Disc or something. Of course, they could do the same as Gangster Squad where the exclusive features were implemented on the main disc.
Old 10-02-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Historically, WB's exclusive Blu-rays have the content pressed on-disc, like Godzilla (Target), Pacific Rim (Walmart), Argo (Target), The Great Gatsby (Target), and, as The Movieman mentioned, Gangster Squad (Best Buy). That's potentially suggestive of what's going to happen with Edge of Tomorrow at Best Buy.
Old 10-02-14, 11:35 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what extra stuff did the PR BD have? Any good?
Old 10-02-14, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

I'm still inclined to believe that's a mistake that's just being perpetuated based on that stupid cover art. Warner Bros. itself is still listing the title as simply "Edge of Tomorrow".

If it really is being re-branded, they're being terribly inconsistent about it.
Numerous retailers have the disc listed as "Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow," including Amazon, Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Barnes & Noble and DVD Empire. I'm pretty sure that these stores create their listings based on product info that the studio sends to them.

Given the way that even the case spine says "Live Die Repeat Edge of Tomorrow," it seems clear to me that Warner Bros. originally intended to officially change the title. Name another DVD or Blu-ray that has ever printed the advertising tag line on the case spine. I don't think that's ever happened.

However, after a number of people complained about how stupid it would be to change the movie's title just a couple months after it was released to theaters, the studio backed down and said, "No no, the title hasn't changed. That's just the tag line. Really."
Old 10-03-14, 01:02 AM

It is a rebranding...

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/new...oRBAbcH0T8CWFN
Old 10-03-14, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by arbogast777
That article doesn't have an official statement from the studio.
Old 10-03-14, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Numerous retailers have the disc listed as "Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow," including Amazon, Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Barnes & Noble and DVD Empire. I'm pretty sure that these stores create their listings based on product info that the studio sends to them.

Given the way that even the case spine says "Live Die Repeat Edge of Tomorrow," it seems clear to me that Warner Bros. originally intended to officially change the title. Name another DVD or Blu-ray that has ever printed the advertising tag line on the case spine. I don't think that's ever happened.

However, after a number of people complained about how stupid it would be to change the movie's title just a couple months after it was released to theaters, the studio backed down and said, "No no, the title hasn't changed. That's just the tag line. Really."

Hey, Josh -- has there been a press release or official quote from Warner Bros. on the subject? In my searching I've found nothing other than brief articles such as the one linked by arbogast777, which seem to merely be referencing the cover and the retail listings, rather than any official statement from Warner Bros.. Without a quote from WB, it all seems like speculation. If it had genuinely been their intention to re-brand the film -- and I won't argue the possibility: movie studios do dumb things all the time -- the title should have been consistently changed across all of the various releases, throughout the key art, and the studio's website. If nothing else, it's another example of the studio's confusion over how to marketing this film.
Old 10-03-14, 09:51 AM

In lieu of a press conference being held by the studio for such a thing, the press release DOES refer to the film as "Live, Die, Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow."
Old 10-03-14, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Would you happen to have a link? A quick search brought me to this, which explicitly refers to the film as "Edge of Tomorrow" throughout ...
Old 10-03-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I had gotten the original press release from Warner and it just said Edge of Tomorrow.
Old 10-03-14, 11:52 AM

Not saying for a second that I am right and you guys are wrong - I just said that the press release "referred to it as Live, Die, Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow" and the very first line of the press release linked above is "Live, Die, Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow."

That's it. Didn't say they announced a title change. Just said they referred to it as that. And they did.
Old 10-03-14, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by arbogast777
Not saying for a second that I am right and you guys are wrong - I just said that the press release "referred to it as Live, Die, Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow" and the very first line of the press release linked above is "Live, Die, Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow."

That's it. Didn't say they announced a title change. Just said they referred to it as that. And they did.

Where does the press release include the text "Live. Die. Repeat." and "Edge of Tomorrow" separated by a colon? Were you referring to this?

LIVE. DIE. REPEAT.
EDGE OF TOMORROW

That seems to be the only place in the press release where those two lines aren't as obviously separated as they are elsewhere (e.g., in the first paragraph they are separated by the word "when"). However, they are still separated by appearing on different horizontal lines, in different sizes of text, and by the fact that "Edge of Tomorrow" is italicized (which by itself indicates "title").

"Live. Die. Repeat." has been a part of the film's branding since before its theatrical release, but solely as the film's tag line. Even on the cover art the only place where the two lines appear together is on the spine, where they are printed in different colors, and are separated by a "/" (just as the title is separated from the actors' names at the bottom on the front). As Josh pointed out, this is, to say the least, an unprecedented place to print the tag line.

It really just seems to be poor art direction. Whatever the case, it's led to a lot of confusion over whether or not the title of the film has been changed (it hasn't). Then again, it has resulted in additional discussion and media exposure for the film, so maybe it was all part of some elaborate marketing plan after all ...
Old 10-03-14, 01:09 PM

Alright, I throw my hands up. You are absolutely right. At no time did Warner call the film "Live, Die, Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow" in it's press release. I carefully examined all uses of colons and italics and I am so, so wrong. It was an off handed observation I made, and believe me I wish I haden't made it. I didn't realize such topics were taken as seriously as, say, abortion around here.

HOLY CRAP...
Old 10-03-14, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Arbogast777, I'm sorry to have caused you offense. It was unintentional. This title/branding issue really isn't a big deal -- just a trivial detail. I am (occasionally) a designer by occupation, and I'm very literal-minded. I like to nit-pick. I'm sorry if it felt like I was picking on you.
Old 10-03-14, 02:29 PM

Arbogast777, I'm sorry to have caused you offense. It was unintentional. This title/branding issue really isn't a big deal -- just a trivial detail. I am (occasionally) a designer by occupation, and I'm very literal-minded. I like to nit-pick. I'm sorry if it felt like I was picking on you.
That's alright, man. All is good.

Cheers
Old 10-06-14, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Where does the press release include the text "Live. Die. Repeat." and "Edge of Tomorrow" separated by a colon? Were you referring to this?

LIVE. DIE. REPEAT.
EDGE OF TOMORROW
How common is it for a press release to included the movie's advertising tag line directly on top of the title like that?
Old 10-06-14, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Moving off the vital topic of rebranding the title : Was this movie shot in native 3D or was it a conversion? Trying to decide if I should get the 3D version...
Old 10-06-14, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Moving off the vital topic of rebranding the title : Was this movie shot in native 3D or was it a conversion? Trying to decide if I should get the 3D version...
3D Conversion, but unlike Gravity, it isn't very good.
Old 10-06-14, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Thanks. Will probably wait for a BF sale on the regular version then (though I might be tempted to splurge and get the Target Steelbook instead...)
Old 10-06-14, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
How common is it for a press release to included the movie's advertising tag line directly on top of the title like that?

Fairly often. WHV press releases in particular add such text directly above the title of the film being announced. In the case of "Edge of Tomorrow", the press release visually distinguishes the tagline from the title, and throughout the rest of the PR text, the film is clearly referred to as simply "Edge of Tomorrow".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.