Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are you getting Blu-ray remorse?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: Do you have Blu-ray remorse?
Yes
14.56%
No
63.11%
What are you high?
22.33%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Are you getting Blu-ray remorse?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-14, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Are you getting Blu-ray remorse?

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i don't know now if i would cry for joy or sadness if Blu-ray were to go away...
I believe there will still be new releases on DVD, long after Blu-rays discs are gone.
Old 08-04-14, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Supermallet
Nudge nudge wink wink say no more say no more I agree. 4k is going to be relegated to some very high profile titles, with likely very few special features. And that's if there even is a physical format.
I'm not sure it could be any other kind of format, the data load would be too huge for streaming.
Old 08-05-14, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdshonna
I believe there will still be new releases on DVD, long after Blu-rays discs are gone.
What would be ironic and sad at the same time, is if dvd ends up becoming the "energizer bunny" or "cockroach" of the physical packaged media market for movies and tv shows.

Especially if dvd is still alive and well, after all the outstanding dvd patents have expired.
Old 08-05-14, 01:04 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I'm not sure it could be any other kind of format, the data load would be too huge for streaming.
Well Netflix already has 4k versions of Breaking Bad and House of Cards ready:

http://gizmodo.com/breaking-bad-is-n...lix-1591610250
http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/8/559...house-of-cards
Old 08-05-14, 09:31 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm currently buying about 8-10 BDs a year now. Only must-have films/TV, or upgrades. This year I can only recall buying 3-4 BDs so far (still have yet to buy Grand Budapest as I'm waiting for that to drop in price).

The magic and passion just isn't there anymore, especially when they have become de-valued so quickly. Back in the day you could buy a DVD/HD DVD/BD and sell it a few weeks/months later for a loss, but not pennies on the dollar. Now it seems you're lucky to get $5 for a BD if it's fairly new. With the release of these triple/quad packs, it's really de-valued catalog.

I'd love to own Twin Peaks, but the current $80 is just ridiculous when I know it's going to drop to $50 or less in a few months. When you can regular get the complete Planet of the Apes, Nightmare on Elm, Jurassic Park, Back to the Future etc. for $20 or less... why spend any more?

Right now I'm purging. It's a slow game, but I've been selling a few BDs each week on eBay listing at fairly decent prices.

4k, disc-wise, I just don't see happening. Do they even have a release date? I have not been following it.
Old 08-05-14, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Gizmo
I'm currently buying about 8-10 BDs a year now. Only must-have films/TV, or upgrades. This year I can only recall buying 3-4 BDs so far (still have yet to buy Grand Budapest as I'm waiting for that to drop in price).

The magic and passion just isn't there anymore, especially when they have become de-valued so quickly. Back in the day you could buy a DVD/HD DVD/BD and sell it a few weeks/months later for a loss, but not pennies on the dollar. Now it seems you're lucky to get $5 for a BD if it's fairly new. With the release of these triple/quad packs, it's really de-valued catalog.

I'd love to own Twin Peaks, but the current $80 is just ridiculous when I know it's going to drop to $50 or less in a few months. When you can regular get the complete Planet of the Apes, Nightmare on Elm, Jurassic Park, Back to the Future etc. for $20 or less... why spend any more?
I've been making some "valiant" efforts to limit my buying, largely for the reason that I have a huge backlog of unwatched tv show dvd/bluray season sets. (Not exactly easy to counteract ocd compulsive hoarding habits).

Lately I've been binge watching through the original Dallas. It will take quite a bit of time to eventually reach the season 14 dvd set. (Presently I'm mid way through the season 5 dvd set).

No point in buying more stuff that ends up collecting dust on my bookshelves, even if they're movies/shows that I like. If I'm still interested at a future date, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of that stuff ends up being $5 (or less) bargain bin fodder.
Old 08-05-14, 12:49 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

i dunno, i've limited myself too. i am not as extravagant as i used to be. and thank god for that!
Old 08-05-14, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i dunno, i've limited myself too. i am not as extravagant as i used to be. and thank god for that!
When I first started buying a lot of dvds/bluray in 2011, a lot of good stuff I was interested in was already in the $5 dump bins (or less).

It was easy to go on huge buying binges when many bluray movies I wanted were $5 a pop (or less), and tv season sets were around $10-$15 a pop (or less).

This very much works against me, whenever I (futilely) attempt to control my compulsive hoarding habits. In many ways, it's almost like trying to quit smoking.
Old 08-05-14, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I admit, I had quite a few impulse purchases over the years from movies and TV shows that don't have much or any replay value.

Is that where alot of the "remorse" some of you are claiming to have is coming from? I mean are you looking at your shelves and closets and thinking I could have had hundreds or thousands or dollars in the bank or be taking a nice vacation instead of having so much worthless crap on my shelves that I will never watch again?

It is what it is. There are many posters here who say that don't like or believe in renting. That's what you get for stocking up on 1-view only movies.

In the last year or so, I've cut down on buying alot and have been renting more and honestly I've gotten alot more gratification renting and being able to watch more and not break the bank thinking I absolutely have to have these titles when I don't. There are a few movies I rented recently that I saw in theaters and watching it again via paying only $2 to rent it really helped me determine if it has replay value even though I liked it in theaters and alot of times the answer was no.

Some of you just have to get the whole "collector" mentality out of your heads. I'm sticking more to stuff that I love & will want to re-visit as opposed to just collecting and letting it gather dust on my shelves. These aren't baseball cards. Why would you want to pay $15 for a new BD that you only enjoyed seeing once just to stare at the case on your bookshelf?

I don't need to own every single Scream Factory Horror BD that is announced. I don't need to own the Leprechaun movie series set. They're horrible movies with no replay value IMO. I don't need to collect it for it's campiness.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-05-14 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-05-14, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Is that where alot of the "remorse" some of you are claiming to have is coming from? I mean are you looking at your shelves and closets and thinking I could have had hundreds or thousands or dollars in the bank or be taking a nice vacation instead of having so much worthless crap on my shelves that I will never watch again?
For me the accumulation of clutter is largely a secondary byproduct. With dvds/blurays being very inexpensive, I'm not breaking the bank either.

In my case, the feelings of "remorse" is more along the lines of a personal failure in not being able to control my ocd compulsive hoarding habits, after numerous repeated attempts which all ended in failure. As I mentioned previously, it feels very similar to trying to quit smoking and the numerous failed attempts at doing so.

EDIT: The actual objects of interest for hoarding is largely irrelevant. Before 2011, I was compulsively collecting/hoarding other different objects of interest (completely unrelated to dvds/blurays).

Last edited by morriscroy; 08-05-14 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-05-14, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Some of you just have to get the whole "collector" mentality out of your heads. I'm sticking more to stuff that I love & will want to re-visit as opposed to just collecting and letting it gather dust on my shelves. These aren't baseball cards.
Easier said than done.

It would be similar to telling a person with clinical depression to be "happy" (ie. by thinking happy thoughts, etc ...).
Old 08-05-14, 01:35 PM

Over the last several years, I was rationalizing to myself that it was better to compulsively collect/hoard dvds and blurays, than when I use to smoke 2 or 3 packs of cigarettes every day.

In hindsight, I was completely wrong and largely lying to myself.
Old 08-05-14, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No remorse here, but that may be largely due to the fact that a key reason why I started and continue to maintain my collection of DVD's/BD's is to have them on hand to watch with my kids (ages 16, 13 and 8) as they grow up. You never know when those movie-time opportunities will present themselves, and I love having a quality library ready to go at a moment's notice.
Old 08-05-14, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Collecting is a double-edge sword for me.

On one hand it's nice to have something physical to show for the money you spent.

On the other hand, having something physical around as a reminder of how much money you spent can also be daunting.

I have have about 300 HD-DVD discs (and 6 players) that cost me a total of $450.

I have 240 Blu-rays that averaged just under $5 each.

600 DVDs have probably averaged out at $1.50 each because 80% of my collection was purchased in the last four years.

So many things i've bought over the years such as movie rentals, attending sporting events, beer, dinners out etc. have all added up to much more money but because there is nothing physical to remind you how much money you've spent on these things, it is easier to simply forget about the actual costs involved.

With DVDs, the evidence is sitting right there on the shelf.
Old 08-05-14, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
^

What I've noticed on other Movie or Blu-Ray sites is that people have lost track of their love of film and just buy anything and everything that comes out.
Perfectly fine by me if it helps keep the format afloat.
Old 08-05-14, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No buyers remorse, love movie and I love collecting them.

But, it has slowed down because there is not the titles I want to buy anymore.

I picked up my classics (GWTW, Wizard of Oz, Star Wars...) and upgraded the movie I watch on DVD.

Now, I pick up one or two movies a month. Then, at Christmas time I will pickup 10 or so at a good price.

My BR Collection is up around 400 or more and I watch a large chunk of those throughout the year.
Old 08-05-14, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had a ton more money, my BR TV collection would grow, that is another story.
-The only BR TV I have is Smallville.

I really want to pick up the Batman TV show coming out and Agent of Shield.
(and Flash after if's first season)
Old 08-06-14, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a decent number at 375 and have been in the 300's for years. It will probably take a few years to get the 25 more I need to hit 400. Would rather reduce than grow though.
Old 08-06-14, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

This may have already been mentioned but the only BD remorse I get is when I see collections or 2/3/4 packs of movies that I own solo and wished I had them altogether. for example, yesterday in BB i saw they had a new double pack of Airplane! and Airplane2. Having the single disc version of Airplane! kinda bums me out and makes me wish I had just waited for the 2 pack. There are lots of other packs like this as well.
Old 08-06-14, 09:02 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Loc Nar
No remorse here, but that may be largely due to the fact that a key reason why I started and continue to maintain my collection of DVD's/BD's is to have them on hand to watch with my kids (ages 16, 13 and 8) as they grow up. You never know when those movie-time opportunities will present themselves, and I love having a quality library ready to go at a moment's notice.
But so does Netflix.

That's my main issue now is just about everything I want to see is either on Netflix, Prime, or a $2-4 rental away. Why hold on to these discs?
Old 08-06-14, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
But so does Netflix.

That's my main issue now is just about everything I want to see is either on Netflix, Prime, or a $2-4 rental away. Why hold on to these discs?
If it is a movie I love: Better picture quality. Better sound quality. No buffering. No stuttering. No random drop in picture quality during the movie. Can still watch something when the internet connection is acting funky.

I have a higher end amp and speakers and there is no question the sound is always better when watching from a BD vs. streaming. Same with picture quality (but then I am watching from a projector onto a 118" screen). I can see a large difference.

Also, even though I have a high speed internet connection package with my cable company (60 mps supposedly), it still will have fits sometimes. Stops and starts, buffering, drops in picture quality at times, etc. I still have a disc plan with Netflix and never plan to cancel it. I prefer to watch on disc whenever possible. I just wish Netflix would start carrying more BDs (like Scream Factory's stuff for example).

I have gotten to where I only buy the movie I love and rewatch frequently. I am still passing over many movies at $5 each just because I know I will only watch them once and then never watch them again (until the next format/picture upgrade change).
Old 08-06-14, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I think this goes without saying by now, but there's absolutely no guarantee content available Netflix, today will be there tomorrow, 5 years from now, 10 years from now...etc. As long as I maintain hardware, I know my physical library will be there for use.

(Cue the tornado/hurricane/act of God arguments)
Old 08-06-14, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got a $3 coupon from Paramount and went onto their Ultraviolet site, only to find stuff priced at around $15 and up. What's the point? When a digital new release is priced slightly below the physical copy, which comes with a UV code anyway, I see no point. If it's one-and-done watching streaming is ideal though, especially for rentals. But if I want to own it, I want a physical copy.
Old 08-06-14, 09:25 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I think this goes without saying by now, but there's absolutely no guarantee content available Netflix, today will be there tomorrow, 5 years from now, 10 years from now...etc. As long as I maintain hardware, I know my physical library will be there for use.

(Cue the tornado/hurricane/act of God arguments)
But with no Netflix you still have Amazon, Hulu, Vudu, iTunes, HBO GO etc.

If you want to watch a movie, you will no doubt be able to find it available for stream (with obvious exceptions). And in 5 years from now, who knows how much easier it will be. Netflix Streaming 5 years ago was laughable. 480p SD, movies were slim etc. We still had Blockbuster and (I think) Hollywood Video!

Plus there are probably more movies available in HD compared to Blu-ray. Remember, there are still tons of movies and TV Shows forever stuck on VHS/LD/HD DVD/DVD etc that will never be available in 1080p disc. But with Streaming, they can and have been.

It's just at this point, you can actively find just about any movie available on Blu-ray on some sort of streaming site.

Before we get the arguments of people that live in the Canadian wilderness...yes, I know. Not everyone has fast internet, etc. but I don't suspect those people are on the bleeding edge of technology either.

While you did mention act of god, you can still have someone come in and rob you. Would they take discs? Who knows. But you can access Netflix on your microwave!
Old 08-06-14, 09:27 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I got a $3 coupon from Paramount and went onto their Ultraviolet site, only to find stuff priced at around $15 and up. What's the point? When a digital new release is priced slightly below the physical copy, which comes with a UV code anyway, I see no point. If it's one-and-done watching streaming is ideal though, especially for rentals. But if I want to own it, I want a physical copy.
Plenty of movies are available to 'buy' digitally weeks/month(s) before the disc comes out. That coupon would appeal to them. I know someone who actively buys digital movies as she got tired of her kids losing/scratching discs. Those movies are available on a multitude of devices to keep them quite when needed.

So there is a market, just not to people like you and me who wouldn't pay the same price to own digitally and a disc.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.