Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones Season 4

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Game of Thrones Season 4

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-14, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts
Game of Thrones Season 4

Preorder up on Amazon for $44.99

I ordered it with the expectation that it'll drop significantly by release date. I paid just over $30 for the season 3 blu ray.

The Blu-ray release of Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season features 1080p video and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround, and comes packed with exclusive new bonus content including roundtable discussions, on-set interviews, audio commentaries, and brand new animated histories giving fans hours of extensive, never-before-seen material:

In-Episode Guides: In-feature resource that provides background information about on-screen characters, locations and relevant histories.
Histories & Lore: Learn about the mythology of Westeros as told from the varying perspectives of the characters themselves.
Audio Commentaries: Commentaries with cast and crew including showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, A Song of Ice and Fire author George R.R. Martin, Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams, Pedro Pascal, Aiden Gillen and more.
Behind the Battle for the Wall: Follow the cast and crew as they create the most ambitious battle to date. This 30-minute documentary explores the challenges of putting together one of the series' most intense episodes, with never-before-seen material.
The Fallen Roundtable: Writer Bryan Cogman sits down with a few of the many cast members who meet their demise in Season 4. From first learning of their deaths to shooting their final scenes, this 30-minute feature sheds light on what it's like to live and die in world of GoT.
The Politics of Power: Revisit the brutal events of Season 3 to see power shifts that define Westeros at the start of Season 4.
Bastards of Westeros: Hear Benioff, Weiss and author George R.R. Martin discuss the role bastards play in the Seven Kingdoms.
Deleted/Extended Scenes: Two deleted scenes.

Old 07-24-14, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones Season 4

Any guesses as to which house will be the BB slipcover this year?
Old 07-24-14, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I expect House Martell would be a popular slipcover.
Old 07-24-14, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I regret not getting the previous House Sigil slipcover editions. Naturally people are selling them on eBay for double. Oh well.
Old 01-10-15, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,185 Likes on 4,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Any guesses as to which house will be the BB slipcover this year?
Looks like it will be House Martell, House Tyrell and yet again retuning houses Stark. Lannister, and Targaryen.

Those slipcovers also come with a bonus disc, though the description doesn't include any other information.

Target version comes with a feature on costume design (yawn) and a little picture book on "Beautiful Deaths of Game of Thrones".

I just preordered a copy of House Martell and will just hope they price adjust it down for me later.
Old 01-10-15, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait, so who has the bonus discs this year? I always end up getting one of those then buy the one I didn't on eBay.
Old 01-10-15, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In for the House Martell slip from BB. Pre-ordered at $39.99 but I'm sure it will be $29.99 on release day.
Old 01-10-15, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed they lessened the disc count, as usally Game of Thrones blu sets are 5 discs or 2 episodes a disc. This season is 4 discs. Same number of episodes
Old 01-10-15, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
Wait, so who has the bonus discs this year? I always end up getting one of those then buy the one I didn't on eBay.
Target has one.

Sounds like Best Buy will have one, and, if past is prologue, Walmart will, too.

A Scandinavian edition will have the following bonus disc with the following four features:

1) Royal Wedding Feature: In-depth 25-minute feature, giving fans a behind-the-scenes look at the making of Season 4's Royal Wedding.
2) Costumes Piece: Get a closer look at the creation of the wide- range of original costumes with insights from the cast and crew.
3) 410 Attack Piece: Watch the cast and crew break down one of the most complex, stunt and special effects-heavy sequences on the show, giving a behind-the-scenes look at the thrilling scene in the Season 4 finale.
4) Visual Effects Piece: See the VFX team discuss the epic, cutting- edge graphics for Game of Thrones' biggest season yet.

Looks like the American store exclusives will probably carve up and divide these features. Target gets the costume design featurette.
Old 01-10-15, 08:39 AM

To be clear, Best Buy lists a bonus disc. Target lists a photo book and a bonus feature on costumes, but never mentions a disc. Given their recent penchant for giving exclusive content via Target Ticket, I would be careful in assuming anything else with them.
Old 01-10-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I noticed they lessened the disc count, as usally Game of Thrones blu sets are 5 discs or 2 episodes a disc. This season is 4 discs. Same number of episodes
Pretty much every studio is shaving the number of BDs down per set for cost savings. WB has been squeezing as many as six one-hour episodes on a single BD-50 this year.
Old 01-10-15, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
To be clear, Best Buy lists a bonus disc. Target lists a photo book and a bonus feature on costumes, but never mentions a disc. Given their recent penchant for giving exclusive content via Target Ticket, I would be careful in assuming anything else with them.
Good point. Target's GoT exclusives for seasons 2 and 3 had bonus discs housed in a slim blu ray case, so it's not a stretch to think this one would follow suit. But they've really been pushing that download shit lately. Also possible that the bonus feature is on one of the four regular discs in the set.
Old 01-10-15, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Pretty much every studio is shaving the number of BDs down per set for cost savings. WB has been squeezing as many as six one-hour episodes on a single BD-50 this year.
wouldn't they be more like 42/45 min episodes? assuming these are the 1 hour network dramas
Old 01-10-15, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
wouldn't they be more like 42/45 min episodes? assuming these are the 1 hour network dramas
Yeah, they would be, but six is still a lot.
Old 01-11-15, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Warner lowered their target encoding profile to cut costs. It mostly affects their television releases. The Complete Batman set was heavily affected.
Old 01-11-15, 10:27 PM

Not based on anything more than a hunch, but I'd bet that Game of Thrones is at or near the top of Blu Ray sales for a single season of any television program given the extravagant visuals, cinematic scope and the show's immense popularity. I think it's a much more re-watchable show than other popular dramas and would maybe sell better on Blu Ray as a result.
Old 01-11-15, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Not based on anything more than a hunch, but I'd bet that Game of Thrones is at or near the top of Blu Ray sales for a single season of any television program given the extravagant visuals, cinematic scope and the show's immense popularity. I think it's a much more re-watchable show than other popular dramas and would maybe sell better on Blu Ray as a result.
Plus it's premium cable.
Old 01-12-15, 03:26 PM

In the UK, they get three featurettes on one bonus Blu Ray disc (Amazon.co.uk exclusive)

Silk, Leather & Chain Mail : The Costumes of Season Four
Planning A Royal Wedding
Shock and Awe : Creating the Visual Effects of Season Four
Old 01-12-15, 03:49 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 906 Likes on 766 Posts

In the UK, they get three featurettes on one bonus Blu Ray disc (Amazon.co.uk exclusive)

Planning A Royal Wedding
region free yay!
Old 01-12-15, 03:58 PM

I'd rather have it with an exclusive cover, one bonus featurette and the UV/iTunes codes for $30 or less than the UK version with three featurettes (all of which I assume will become readily available on You Tube) for $50 shipped, but whatever floats your boat I suppose.
Old 01-12-15, 04:03 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 906 Likes on 766 Posts

I'd rather have it with an exclusive cover, one bonus featurette and the UV/iTunes codes for $30 or less than the UK version with three featurettes (all of which I assume will become readily available on You Tube) for $50 shipped, but whatever floats your boat I suppose.
yeah, i was checking out, but decided not worth the extra $.
Old 01-13-15, 08:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Planning A Royal Wedding
ew - nice ---- I might bite for this edition.
Old 01-13-15, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Preordered all the exclusive covers at bestbuy. Still debating the Amazon.co.uk version though...
Old 01-14-15, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Why no discount on that amazon.uk version?
Old 01-25-15, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Looking at the BB ad, it says the Tyrell and Martell covers are available online only. Surely that can't be right....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.