DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Thief (Criterion edition) comments regarding transfer (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/621138-thief-criterion-edition-comments-regarding-transfer.html)

Giles 03-06-15 11:14 AM

Re: Thief (Criterion edition) comments regarding transfer

sorry for the thread digression - in not talking about the transfer.

but..

I watched this with the commentary track yesterday - oh ugh... that was painful (and I thought the one on 'Braveheart' was a snorer) - there's so much dead air and comments of such little importance I was completely disappointed.

E Unit 03-06-15 11:26 AM

I was bummed by that when I first heard it on the old non-anamorphic MGM DVD. I was kind of hoping they'd bring at least Mann back to do an additional updated one. No such luck.

I finally did watch both versions on the UK set. I have to admit, watching the re-colorized Criterion version vs the so-called "original color" was a little more lackluster than I anticipated. Some parts actually look pretty much the same, while others are very different. I know i'm in the minority, but as nice as it is to have the older colored version, I like the coolness of the updated one.

jdslater1 03-08-15 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 12415246)
sorry for the thread digression - in not talking about the transfer.

but..

I watched this with the commentary track yesterday - oh ugh... that was painful (and I thought the one on 'Braveheart' was a snorer) - there's so much dead air and comments of such little importance I was completely disappointed.

Mann is pretty monotone in his delivery which is a shame as he has great thiings to say.
His commentary for Manhunter had the volume too low so you had the problem of not hearing anything.

Mike86 03-08-15 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 12377519)
Sorry to sidetrack but aren't most director's like that? For instance, after Batman was released theatrically, Tim Burton had a brief moment during a foot chase removed. It was just after Batman and Vicky Vale escaped the art museum. A little girl saw Batman and asked "is it Halloween". While watching a theatrical presentation of the movie, Burton felt that bit ruined the flow of the chase sequence so he had it cut and all theatrical prints replaced. As far as I know, that bit of footage has since never even been seen. Not even so much as deleted scene.

I never even knew about this scene. Interesting but I can picture a little bit like that kind of ruining the flow of that scene despite not seeing it.

Mr.Man 03-01-16 10:22 AM

If anyone's interested, there's a copy of the Arrow limited edition on Amazon UK for about $37 shipped to the US.