DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Steven Spielberg Director's Collection - 10/14 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/620899-steven-spielberg-directors-collection-10-14-a.html)

Johnny Lin 07-01-14 05:46 AM

Steven Spielberg Director's Collection - 10/14

http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Spielbe...211494&sr=1-21

The eight films featured include

Duel (1971)
A travelling salesman (Dennis Weaver) is terrorised by an unseen trucker on a remote desert highway.

The Sugarland Express (1974)
A mother (Goldie Hawn) desperately attempts to reunite her family by helping her husband escape prison and kidnapping their son.

Jaws (1975)
When a seaside community is under attack by a great white shark, the chief of police (Roy Scheider), a marine biologist (Richard Dreyfuss) and a shark hunter (Robert Shaw) embark on a quest to destroy the beast.

1941 - Theatrical & Extended Version (1979)
Pandemonium erupts in Los Angeles after the WWII attack on Pearl Harbour in this wartime spoof starring Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi.

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
A lost alien from space befriends a 10-year-old boy (Henry Thomas) who helps him find a way home.

Always (1989)
After sacrificing himself to save a friend (John Goodman), a daredevil firefighting pilot (Richard Dreyfuss) returns to earth to help his surviving girlfriend (Holly Hunter) move on with the help of an angel (Audrey Hepburn).

Jurassic Park (1993)
Journey to an amazing theme park on a remote island where dinosaurs once again roam the earth and five people must battle to survive among the prehistoric predators. Starring Sam Neill, Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum, Samuel L. Jackson and Sir Richard Attenborough.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)
Four years since the disaster at Jurassic Park, two groups are in a race against time that will determine the fate of the remote island’s prehistoric inhabitants. Starring Jeff Goldblum, Julianne Moore, and Vince Vaughn.

hanshotfirst1138 07-01-14 05:55 AM

Hopefully Duel will get an individual release.

riotinmyskull 07-01-14 06:16 AM

Re: Steven Spielberg Director's Collection - 10/14

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 (Post 12155129)

and SUGARLAND EXPRESS

Anubis2005X 07-01-14 06:44 AM

The Lost World? :lol:

Jaymole 07-01-14 07:17 AM

Duel & Sugarland Express are the only ones I am interested in as I already own Jaws & Jurassic Park.

Always, E.T. & 1941 I would never watch again.

badlieut 07-01-14 08:21 AM

No Munich? WTH

My Other Self 07-01-14 08:25 AM

I wouldn't buy the collection since I can buy Jaws by itself, but I'm interested in 1941 and watching Duel for the first time if released separately.

I'm sure the main gripe will be no Munich. There's clearly a want for it, I wonder what's holding up Universal from releasing it?

rocket1312 07-01-14 08:29 AM

I gather it's not particularly well loved, but I'm embarassed to admit that I've never even heard of Always. Either that or I've just purposely wiped it from my memory.

Are there any other Universal titles besides Munich and Schindler's List missing from this set?

Shannon Nutt 07-01-14 08:29 AM

These are the Blu debuts for Duel, Sugarland Express, 1941, and Always, correct?

So we have to double dip on the other four to get the four we want? I think I'll hold out for individual releases.

bunkaroo 07-01-14 10:03 AM

Amazon shows the list as 199.99. :lol:

big e 07-01-14 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by My Other Self (Post 12155203)
I wouldn't buy the collection since I can buy Jaws by itself, but I'm interested in 1941 and watching Duel for the first time if released separately.

I'm sure the main gripe will be no Munich. There's clearly a want for it, I wonder what's holding up Universal from releasing it?

How did Munich do during it's theatrical run? I don't recall hearing any buzz about it during it's release. I always assumed it didn't do that well and that's why, outside of the initial DVD release (which I think is bare-bones) Universal never did anything with it. Honestly, I was surprised we never saw an HD-DVD release since it came out a year before the format debut.

islandclaws 07-01-14 10:21 AM

Nice looking set, but I'll hold off until we get separate releases of 1941 and Duel.

And, really, where the hell is Munich?

GatorDeb 07-01-14 10:23 AM

How exactly do you have a "Director's" collection and not include the two titles he won an academy award for? :hscratch:

Jaymole 07-01-14 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 12155327)
How exactly do you have a "Director's" collection and not include the two titles he won an academy award for? :hscratch:

They will be included in the Ultimate Director's collection due in about 2 years.

bunkaroo 07-01-14 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by big e (Post 12155315)
How did Munich do during it's theatrical run? I don't recall hearing any buzz about it during it's release. I always assumed it didn't do that well and that's why, outside of the initial DVD release (which I think is bare-bones) Universal never did anything with it. Honestly, I was surprised we never saw an HD-DVD release since it came out a year before the format debut.

It doesn't appear to have beat its budget, at least domestically. But the film was a Best Picture nominee and deserves to be on Blu-ray before pretty much every other film in this collection, save perhaps Jaws.

Mr. Cinema 07-01-14 10:46 AM

Duel was on HDNet recently and looked pretty damn good. I'll probably grab this set when it becomes Amazon's deal of the day at a heavily discounted price.

Kedrix 07-01-14 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 (Post 12155129)

Like many others, yeah Duel in individual release but ZERO interest in the rest of the set. I don't have to upgrade my DVD, but it would be nice to naturally.

kefrank 07-01-14 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 12155351)
But the film was a Best Picture nominee and deserves to be on Blu-ray before pretty much every other film in this collection, save perhaps Jaws.

+1

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I just don't like Spielberg very much. With that said, Jaws and Munich are fantastic films and the only Spielberg movies I really like outside of the first 3 Indy films. I'd buy Munich on Blu-ray in a heartbeat.

Neil M. 07-01-14 11:54 AM

That price is a joke. I'll just wait for individual releases or a more complete set of his films.

slop101 07-01-14 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by badlieut (Post 12155200)
No Munich? WTH

Wanted to say the same. Of all the Spielbergs not on blu, that's the one I want most, by far.

The Valeyard 07-01-14 02:00 PM

In for 1941 once it gets a separate release.

Paul_SD 07-01-14 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard (Post 12155663)
In for 1941 once it gets a separate release.

+1

I actually think it's a pretty terrible, unfunny, and frequently obnoxious film- but I still have some nostalgia for it and do find it an interesting failure overall (much like Exorcist II).

Wouldn't mind getting Duel and Sugerland too, but 1941 is the one I've been wanting to see again most recently.

If these don't get released separately, this will be an easy pass.

Solid Snake 07-01-14 02:21 PM

Meh. I'll wait for the solo releases on the new catalog ones.

Shannon Nutt 07-01-14 06:09 PM

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...80449501_n.jpg

Matthew Chmiel 07-01-14 07:18 PM

To save everyone the bitching and moaning on, "Why isn't <.insert title here.> isn't included?" Here's why:

Sony:
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  • Hook

Paramount & Warner:
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • Twilight Zone: The Movie
  • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
  • The Color Purple
  • Empire of the Sun
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
  • Amistad
  • Saving Private Ryan