Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why isn't TV-on-Blu-ray getting any love?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Why isn't TV-on-Blu-ray getting any love?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-17, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Re: Why isn't TV-on-Blu-ray getting any love?

Originally Posted by Jay G.
While they had finished filming Game of Thrones by the time the first episode premiered, I wouldn't count on them having had all 7 episodes completely finished. Think about it, that's 7 more weeks of work they could use for the finale and other episodes, and it means they could premiere the show a few weeks earlier than if they waited for all the episodes to be finished.
I assume you're talking about post production and yeah that takes months as well. Game of Thrones has a ton of special effects that requires months of post.

Even simple network crime shows have extensive post production.

The Last Ship on TNT is almost done airing it's 4th season. One of the producers said they wrapped filming it back in April, but they just finished post production of the season finale (episode 10) in early September.

So yeah we can't be greedy and expect all this content to be available right away whether it's on disc or streaming. There are so many factors that determine how it's delivered to us.
Old 10-03-17, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Veronica Mars(needs a BD release!)
I could see Warner Archive being interested in this. I'd buy it for sure.

I used to routinely buy season sets of shows I'd already watched live, but that's petered out in the past couple of years. I think Rick & Morty, The Venture Bros., and Game of Thrones might be the only examples. I did pick up the first season of iZombie and the second season of Fargo on BD but haven't gotten around to watching 'em. I'd make an exception for Doctor Who at the right price.
Old 10-03-17, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Wow, so much anger in this thread!

As Djariya said, the landscape for TV has changed so much since the heyday of TV on DVD. It used to be you could watch the broadcast or record it, or wait for the physical disc before the start of the next season. Now there's on-demand viewing, network websites, next-day purchase, and of course streaming binges. These days, about the only shows I buy on disc OR digital are premium cable that I haven't already watched, or stuff like GOT that I know I'll rewatch. I think my only blind buy in the last several years was Quarry, but I was a big Banshee fan.

Shows that I watch week to week like The Americans I have little desire to rewatch later.
Old 10-06-17, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

In terms of current tv shows being released on dvd/bluray over the past month or two, as a long shot I was hoping season 1 of the MacGyver reboot might be released on bluray.

Unfortunately season 1 of the rebooted MacGyver was not released on bluray nor on dvd in region1/A.

This was the only current tv season set I was looking forward to buying on the first day/week. I thought the MacGyver reboot was like a "spiritual successor" to the atrocious CSI Cyber, in terms of stupidity and wrongheaded hacking.
Old 11-14-17, 09:06 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Well, Seinfeld is now available to own in iTunes and VUDU for $79.99 (complete series). These are the 16:9, not 4:3 as far as I can tell.

Still no Blu-ray...
Old 11-16-17, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Well, Seinfeld is now available to own in iTunes and VUDU for $79.99 (complete series). These are the 16:9, not 4:3 as far as I can tell.

Still no Blu-ray...
Sucks. I mean, the DVDs look good but this show has been syndicated in HD for what feels like ages, I'd love a proper Blu-Ray release. I refuse to pay for digital files, especially close to $100. I'll continue to stream on Hulu for now.

It is frustrating that there's such a lack of TV on Blu, especially when studios start releasing a series on Blu but don't finish, like WB with 2 Broke Girls, FOX with Modern Family, among tons of others. I get that with Hulu and Netflix there isn't a ton of advantage to owning shows on disc in HD if you are only a casual fan (especially since season sets obviously tend to cost more).

For me, there is no advantage to buying things on VUDU. If I'm spending my hard-earned money on a film or a TV series, I want a physical copy. The problem is that VUDU's pricing isn't that impressive. I'm (obviously) a collector, so that's another reason why I prefer to own films and television on disc, but it's crazy to me that VUDU charges the same price (sometimes MORE) for a digital film or show as it would cost to buy on disc and redeem the digital code that comes with it. I guess it's all a matter of convenience, but I was watching an HBO show on my VUDU account (via the code I redeemed that came with the Blu-Ray). I debated just buying the next season on VUDU for the convenience, but when I saw that the price for that season was $5 - $10 more than it would cost for me to buy brand new with the digital code, I rolled my eyes and moved along.
Old 11-17-17, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

There is even less reason to purchase things on VUDU as they just ended UV sharing with sub-accounts this week.

The writing is on the wall that UV will be dead within months, replaced by the far more draconian Movies Anywhere.
Old 11-17-17, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Digital is the future!
Old 11-17-17, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

So apparently no blu-ray release for season 3 of Fargo.
Old 11-18-17, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by mwbmis
So apparently no blu-ray release for season 3 of Fargo.
Yep, David Thewlis's teeth will have to be experienced in SD unfortunately.

Yet this dreck (already shelved until December, when they're burning off the remaining episodes on Saturday night) gets a BD release???

Ten Days In The Valley - Season 1
Old 12-11-17, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I'm the one who was bitching about them not releasing more Simpsons sets, so like an asshole, I totally forgot season 18 had even come out. Went to Target, they had none (they had ZERO of any other Simpsons sets as well), went to Best Buy, they had a few season 18s, but again, zero of any other seasons. I don't think they're out of print, but B&M stores aren't the place to find them. Stoked to be continuing the collection of my all time favorite show - even the "weak" seasons. I hope these sell well!
Old 12-12-17, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Now that Disney owns the Simpsons, I would snap up any available sets you may want. Disney has been more hostile to releasing TV on DVD/Blu-ray than any other studio.
Old 01-30-18, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not sure if it was mentioned, but Adventure Time is another casualty.

Seasons 1 through 6 all got blu-rays, but season 7... dvd only.
Old 02-06-18, 10:00 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by slop101
Not sure if it was mentioned, but Adventure Time is another casualty.

Seasons 1 through 6 all got blu-rays, but season 7... dvd only.
That stinks. The HD versions on VUDU are pretty good looking though. I only bought the BDs for the Digital codes and resold the BDs. Cheaper way of grttingje series.
Old 02-24-18, 02:49 PM
Banned

I wish these studios would get their act together. I have so many DVDs and blus that it's just easier to rip to PC than to put up with disc menus. All I ask for on a TV show disc is the option to play all WITHOUT recaps. I binge watch everything. I don't want to manually select each episode on the goddamn disc. It's stupid. Then it's like pulling teeth to get TV releases without marked up disc and unpleasant packaging. It's insane. I just want everyone to offer standard goddamn cases that actually keep the discs in perfect condition until they get to me.
Old 02-24-18, 02:55 PM
Banned

Discs are dying as you know.
Binge watching via streaming is your best friend. I do it a lot more now that I have Netflix and Hulu. Just hit the button and u don't have to get up once during your tv marathon unless of course you gotta pee.
Old 02-24-18, 03:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MarkitZero
Discs are dying as you know.
Binge watching via streaming is your best friend. I do it a lot more now that I have Netflix and Hulu. Just hit the button and u don't have to get up once during your tv marathon unless of course you gotta pee.
I don't have to get up to swap discs. My Oppo BD player is on my desk in front of me. I don't buy DRM infested shit digital, and my internet isn't good enough for streaming.
Old 02-25-18, 06:28 PM

Plus Netflix got rid of "Lost" before I was done watching it. I'm trying to track down the Blu-Rays now, and it looks like they're out of print in the US.
Old 02-25-18, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Plus Netflix got rid of "Lost" before I was done watching it. I'm trying to track down the Blu-Rays now, and it looks like they're out of print in the US.
And Disney's not a fan of TV on disc. You might have to wait for their streaming service. Though I don't think the oop Lost blu-ray discs go for much money. The complete series set might, but not individual seasons.
Old 02-25-18, 07:45 PM
Suspended

It’s now on Hulu.
Old 02-25-18, 08:02 PM
Banned

At least the discs exist, unlike Philly. I loved that short series, but I'll likely never have it on disc.
Old 02-25-18, 09:00 PM

Hulu doesn't even have 5.1 audio- I wouldn't watch that even if it were free. The picture quality on Netflix of course wasn't perfect either, but adequate.
Old 02-26-18, 08:56 AM
Suspended

Hulu doesn't even have 5.1 audio- I wouldn't watch that even if it were free. The picture quality on Netflix of course wasn't perfect either, but adequate.
Of course you wouldn't. Gotta have that glorious 5.1 for a TV Show. Guess you'll have to go buy the discs to finish the show.
Old 02-26-18, 08:59 AM
Banned

lol

Isn't this the same guy who lives in a pigsty and his landlord wants him evicted due to the filth? Yet he's more worried about pristine picture and sound to watch TV show. Can he even see his TV in his mess??
Old 02-26-18, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Of course you wouldn't. Gotta have that glorious 5.1 for a TV Show. Guess you'll have to go buy the discs to finish the show.
I recall LOST having really good surround sound. I'm not sure why a TV show wouldn't be deserving of watching it in the best possible sound.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.