Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

24: Live Another Day (2014) -- Coming Soon

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

24: Live Another Day (2014) -- Coming Soon

Old 06-05-14, 02:26 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 67,088
Received 1,256 Likes on 929 Posts
24: Live Another Day (2014) -- Coming Soon

Artwork (may not be final):




http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/24-...SIN=B00KPP6ZLS


No release date yet. My guess is this comes out in the Fall or Winter. It's still airing on FOX for those unaware. The season is already half over.
Old 06-05-14, 08:24 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
mattysemo247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12,551
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 24: Live Another Day (2014) -- Coming Soon

I REALLY wish they would release a complete series on blu ray (including this)
Old 06-05-14, 12:41 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 61,253
Received 478 Likes on 341 Posts
Re: 24: Live Another Day (2014) -- Coming Soon

Does anyone in London drive a car painted like that?

I'd be down for seasons 1 & 5(maybe LAD depending how it plays out). I don't think I need to revisit any of the others.
Old 06-05-14, 12:41 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hanshotfirst1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Livonia MI
Posts: 9,678
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The original series was apparently shot 16:9, but it was shot in 35mm, I'm assuming it wasn't rendered for HD, and putting it out on Blu would require elements to be scanned again? The new series was both rendered for HD and shot digitally. My friend loaned my the first season boxed set, I'd never watched this show before, it's preposterous, but highly addictive.
Old 06-05-14, 03:09 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,633
Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
Re: 24: Live Another Day (2014) -- Coming Soon

This will be a day-one buy for me...the return has been a lot of fun. Hopefully, we'll get some decent extras on this.
Old 06-05-14, 03:45 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posts: 2,456
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 24: Live Another Day (2014) -- Coming Soon

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
The original series was apparently shot 16:9, but it was shot in 35mm, I'm assuming it wasn't rendered for HD, and putting it out on Blu would require elements to be scanned again? The new series was both rendered for HD and shot digitally. My friend loaned my the first season boxed set, I'd never watched this show before, it's preposterous, but highly addictive.
It aired in HD for most of the original run and is available in HD streaming on Netflix and Amazon Prime so presumably the elements to produce a BD version is there. With it so readily available on streaming in pretty good quality, I'd imagine it's not exactly a high priority for Fox to re-release.
Old 06-08-14, 09:46 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,118
Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts
Re: 24: Live Another Day (2014) -- Coming Soon

Definitely adding to my 24 collection, but at a heavily discounted price (maybe ~$10 by Christmas?)
Old 06-17-14, 11:13 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Marina Del Rey, California
Posts: 10,044
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: 24: Live Another Day (2014) -- Coming Soon

Day one purchase for me as well. I've liked the reboot thus far quite a bit.
Old 06-17-14, 11:46 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,488
Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: 24: Live Another Day (2014) -- Coming Soon

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
Day one purchase for me as well. I've liked the reboot thus far quite a bit.
"Reboot" would imply that the franchise has done something different and started over fresh. 'Live Another Day' is just 24 Season 9. It picks up where the show last left off with no substantive changes in any respect.
Old 06-17-14, 12:08 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hanshotfirst1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Livonia MI
Posts: 9,678
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've heard it does so quite well.
Old 06-17-14, 12:18 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,633
Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
Re: 24: Live Another Day (2014) -- Coming Soon

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
I've heard it does so quite well.
Yep, this might be my second-favorite season (after Season 5). Of course, it all depends how they wrap it up. Cutting it down to 12 episodes was a good idea...seems like the story is peaking at the right time. 24 episodes forced them into a lot of subplots and extra characters that really went nowhere. While we've had a little of that in Season 9, the show has been firing on all cylinders for about a month now.
Old 06-17-14, 02:40 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,488
Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: 24: Live Another Day (2014) -- Coming Soon

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
I've heard it does so quite well.
Depends on whom you ask. Shannon has enjoyed the current season way more than I have.

The show peaked in Season 5. It's all been downhill from there. Live Another Day has not yet convinced me that there was any point to resurrecting the show after it was canceled. It's just more of the same-old-same-old 24 nonsense.
Old 06-17-14, 06:23 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,547
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 24: Live Another Day (2014) -- Coming Soon

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Depends on whom you ask. Shannon has enjoyed the current season way more than I have.

The show peaked in Season 5. It's all been downhill from there. Live Another Day has not yet convinced me that there was any point to resurrecting the show after it was canceled. It's just more of the same-old-same-old 24 nonsense.
And that's a bad thing why exactly?
Old 06-17-14, 06:39 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 61,253
Received 478 Likes on 341 Posts
Re: 24: Live Another Day (2014) -- Coming Soon

Very much back to form and the some of the best 24 since season 5.
Old 06-17-14, 06:59 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 67,088
Received 1,256 Likes on 929 Posts
Re: 24: Live Another Day (2014) -- Coming Soon

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
And that's a bad thing why exactly?
I think there are 2 different perspectives for those who are watching 24/have watched the show in the past.

Those who like the over the top campiness similar to a weekly James Bond action movie in addition to the thriller aspects.

And there are those who prefer a more grounded realistic political thrillers like season 1 and season 5.

(Moles, Middle East Terrorists, Nuclear Bombs, Drones, Magical healing band aids are elements making these viewers eyes roll. There is at least 1 poster in TV Talk who bitched and complained about LAD every week and claims he won't be watching anymore. He supposedly quit 2 weeks ago and I guess he won't be buying the BD )

Obviously the latter are the ones who aren't enjoying Live Another Day.
Old 06-17-14, 07:09 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,633
Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
Re: 24: Live Another Day (2014) -- Coming Soon

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
It's just more of the same-old-same-old 24 nonsense.
...and that's why I'm loving it Josh.
Old 06-17-14, 08:55 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
mattysemo247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12,551
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 24: Live Another Day (2014) -- Coming Soon

I love the 12hr format now. They really just cut out the fat and the episodes seem to flow better now.
Old 06-18-14, 07:31 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 61,253
Received 478 Likes on 341 Posts
Re: 24: Live Another Day (2014) -- Coming Soon

Yeah there's no time for the "you think he was the villain? He was just a pawn!" silliness push the plot into the final half of the season.
Old 06-18-14, 11:44 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Marina Del Rey, California
Posts: 10,044
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: 24: Live Another Day (2014) -- Coming Soon

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
"Reboot" would imply that the franchise has done something different and started over fresh. 'Live Another Day' is just 24 Season 9. It picks up where the show last left off with no substantive changes in any respect.
You're really going to look into that comment that much? Chill.
Old 06-18-14, 01:37 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,488
Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: 24: Live Another Day (2014) -- Coming Soon

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
And that's a bad thing why exactly?
Because Seasons 6-8 sucked. The show ran out of ideas after repeating the formula the first five times. It just keeps spinning its wheels over and over again.

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
I love the 12hr format now. They really just cut out the fat and the episodes seem to flow better now.
Cut the fat? What have you been watching? The new season has had no substantive difference from the last several. The 12 hour story could be told in 2 if they cut out the nonsense about the CIA mole, the Russian ambassador, and other pointless diversions that won't lead anywhere.
Old 06-18-14, 01:46 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,320
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 24: Live Another Day (2014) -- Coming Soon

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Does anyone in London drive a car painted like that?
Of course they do. The driver obviously wrecked the car because he was distracted while sipping tea and humming "Rule Britannia."

Don't sip and drive, folks. It can literally cost you your life.
Old 06-18-14, 02:07 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 67,088
Received 1,256 Likes on 929 Posts
Re: 24: Live Another Day (2014) -- Coming Soon

I'm going to guess that this 30 minute special which aired on FOX and was released free to several internet platforms like Hulu and Amazon will be on the BD.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mCI4C9xsnJ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


It's a pretty substantial Making of documentary behind this season.
Old 07-08-14, 08:10 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 67,088
Received 1,256 Likes on 929 Posts
Re: 24: Live Another Day (2014) -- Coming Soon

Tony Almeida's fate will be revealed as a Blu-Ray extra on this set.

http://www.24spoilers.com/2014/07/08...day-dvd-extra/
Old 07-08-14, 09:30 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cygnus
Posts: 12,524
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 24: Live Another Day (2014) -- Coming Soon

Got to love just how wrong the haters were about this season. But the clueless haters just got to keep hatin'. Short of a huge fail in the finale, I'll be buying this when it goes on a mega sale.
Old 07-09-14, 12:27 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hanshotfirst1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Livonia MI
Posts: 9,678
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I think there are 2 different perspectives for those who are watching 24/have watched the show in the past. Those who like the over the top campiness similar to a weekly James Bond action movie in addition to the thriller aspects. And there are those who prefer a more grounded realistic political thrillers like season 1 and season 5. (Moles, Middle East Terrorists, Nuclear Bombs, Drones, Magical healing band aids are elements making these viewers eyes roll. There is at least 1 poster in TV Talk who bitched and complained about LAD every week and claims he won't be watching anymore. He supposedly quit 2 weeks ago and I guess he won't be buying the BD ) Obviously the latter are the ones who aren't enjoying Live Another Day.
So basically what you're saying is that now that I'm out of season one and into season two, people being brought back from the dead and still kicking ass will be commonplace?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.