Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Halloween: The Complete Collection is coming to blu-ray

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Halloween: The Complete Collection is coming to blu-ray

Old 09-24-14, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts
Re: Halloween: The Complete Collection is coming to blu-ray

I am kind of wary about keeping my pre-order for the limited Nightbreed open now.
Old 09-24-14, 02:52 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Woooooooooooooow.
Old 09-24-14, 02:59 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

would anyone who has this new set and the 2-disc original remake discs mind giving me the 2nd disc if extra? i would pay shipping and all that.

pm me. thanks in advance.
Old 09-24-14, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I am kind of wary about keeping my pre-order for the limited Nightbreed open now.
I wouldn't worry about that one since Clive Barker was actually active in the restoration as opposed to just repackaging material for the Halloween set outside of the Producer's Cut.

Outside of the Producer's Cut that Halloween set is 95% all old shit anyway.
Old 09-24-14, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last Night = Pretty Jampacked!!

Originally Posted by xage
Got my Dark Delicacies Store Exclusive Set!!!

Old 09-24-14, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On that "other forum" they shut down all the TCM talk in the main forum but everything you can imagine is happening in the Dead Deals forum. Threats of class action lawsuits. Better Business Bureau complaints. People spreading the names of TCM execs and harassing customer service reps.

It's beautiful in a way.
Old 09-24-14, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Has anyone watched Halloween 4 yet? A little disappointing about the audio issue but I wonder how noticeable it actually is. Sounds like Anchor Bay dropped the ball, but Scream Factory should have been up front about it if they knew or done better qc before releasing the set.
Old 09-24-14, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil M.
Scream has responded:

"We investigated the audio issue with Anchor Bay today. Every disc in the set went through a stringent quality control process. The slight audio off-sync during the isolated section of Halloween 4 has apparently been that way on prior releases. There will be no replacement program in place for this disc.
Doesn't sound like it was that stringent if they admit there's an actual authoring error that they didn't fix and will not make right.

Shout QC has really come down a few pegs. I also "get" serving the fans is what they do, but their snarky response wasn't really necessary. They released a product that isn't 100%, and they stand behind that. This is almost a "well, it's good enough" kind of response.

Guess I'll just wait for the Producer's Cut of H6 at some point unless I can find the set for $20 again.
Old 09-24-14, 07:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Has anyone watched Halloween 4 yet? A little disappointing about the audio issue but I wonder how noticeable it actually is.
I watched it and the first 5 or 6 minutes of chapter 8 had a slight sync issue for me. After that it cleared up fine. It might vary depending on equipment though. I don't have anything fancy, just play through a recent Sony 3D blu-ray player with the tv speakers. No amp, receiver, or surround set-up.

I don't honestly care that much for 5 minutes of footage. It's not the worst film in the series, but hardly the best. I might watch it once a year if I'm watching a Halloween marathon, but that would be it.

I'm very happy with it so far for the $85 I paid.
Old 09-24-14, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil M.
Scream has responded:

"We investigated the audio issue with Anchor Bay today. Every disc in the set went through a stringent quality control process. The slight audio off-sync during the isolated section of Halloween 4 has apparently been that way on prior releases. There will be no replacement program in place for this disc.

We apologize for the less-than-100%-perfect audio presentation of H4. Unfortunately, when dealing with films where the source materials are almost 30 years old it can sometimes be a challenge to bring a film up to the best of everyone’s satisfaction. We hope you understand that Anchor Bay and Scream Factory takes a lot of pride in what we do and don’t take these issues lightly. Thank you for your purchase and we hope you enjoy the otherwise amazing set."
Well that's.... kinda shitty.

Like most are saying, its a small part and not the best film in the series, etc... but their response.... kinda shitty. In this age of YouTube videos, quality control just doesn't amount to much anymore I guess.
Old 09-24-14, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by My Other Self
Doesn't sound like it was that stringent if they admit there's an actual authoring error that they didn't fix and will not make right.

Shout QC has really come down a few pegs. I also "get" serving the fans is what they do, but their snarky response wasn't really necessary. They released a product that isn't 100%, and they stand behind that. This is almost a "well, it's good enough" kind of response.

Guess I'll just wait for the Producer's Cut of H6 at some point unless I can find the set for $20 again.
I can see why people are upset but at the same time I kind of understand their stance too. I mean they licensed the films to be put into this set and any errors on previous releases were at the fault of the studio who originally released the film in question. Anchor Bay's release of Halloween 4 was obviously faulty and Shout wasn't going to pay the extra cost to correct that on top of what I'm sure was a pretty hefty licensing agreement to put this set out. So I don't necessarily like it but I do get where they're coming from. Maybe the attitude wasn't necessary but I wasn't really offended by what they wrote.
Old 09-24-14, 08:24 PM

Has anyone here (not blu-ray.com people) put the divimax dvd in to see if the problem existed there as well?
Old 09-24-14, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

I checked my H4 disk and it was hard to tell if there was an issue. I went to the 46 minute mark, and it definitely seemed like a few lines were off, but most of them seemed fine, I would probably have chalked it up to ADR if I wasn't looking for a syncing issue. I only watched about five minutes, but from what I saw, I don't think it'll take me out of the movie too much.
Old 09-24-14, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I checked my H4 disk and it was hard to tell if there was an issue. I went to the 46 minute mark, and it definitely seemed like a few lines were off, but most of them seemed fine, I would probably have chalked it up to ADR if I wasn't looking for a syncing issue. I only watched about five minutes, but from what I saw, I don't think it'll take me out of the movie too much.
That's good to hear and about what I figured. Honestly its not perfect but I won't bitch about it.
Old 09-24-14, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
On that "other forum" they shut down all the TCM talk in the main forum but everything you can imagine is happening in the Dead Deals forum. Threats of class action lawsuits. Better Business Bureau complaints. People spreading the names of TCM execs and harassing customer service reps.

It's beautiful in a way.
A class action lawsuit is nonsense but I do think TCM purposely left the mistakes up as long as possible. It's an old, dirty business tactic from the early days of the Internet. Offer an insane price on a couple of hot items to build a customer list of email addresses and accounts, right in time for the 4th quarter shopping season. They knew they weren't going to fulfill it but did harvest thousands of customers with new TCM accounts.
Old 09-24-14, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
That's good to hear and about what I figured. Honestly its not perfect but I won't bitch about it.
Some people are saying they notice no issue, some are saying it's very obvious. So I don't know if it may be better or worse depending on what player you're using, or not. But it seems that YMMV when it comes to this issue. Similar to previous releases of this movie, people are giving different reports.
Old 09-24-14, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I have to believe this affects everyone and some people just can't see it. Both Umbrella and Anchor Bay (through Scream Factory) have acknowledged that there is a problem with the materials they are using. I sort of believe Umbrella when they say it's the HD master because the old dvd does not have the issue.
Old 09-25-14, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just watched H4 from the mark in question and there are definitely synch issues. Not the worst thing in the world, but it's this kind of shit that Scream/AB should focus on nailing, not just the wealth of bonus content.
Old 09-25-14, 01:04 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Guru Askew

It's beautiful in a way.
I want to beat all of those cockroaches up
Old 09-25-14, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by starseed
Does everyone else's disc 1 for Rob Zombie's Halloween say Region B on it? I immediately noticed it because of the large R18+ rating box. I tested the disc in my player and it plays normally so it appears they just pressed the wrong disc art onto it.
Mine is the same. DVD Profiler identifies it as disc 1 of the Australian BD release with UPC 9398710779684. The extras look pretty much the same as the region A release, but the US release had a different disc ID. Wonder why they went with the Australian disc vs the US one? No big deal to me. I can't say I'm a fan of the white-trash fetishism RZ brings to the Halloween oeuvre anyway, but I've never seen the theatrical cut so maybe that's the problem. For me, it's more repulsion than actual frights.
Old 09-25-14, 06:39 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
would anyone who has this new set and the 2-disc Rob Zombie's Halloween discs mind giving me the 2nd disc if extra? i would pay shipping and all that.

pm me. thanks in advance.
anyone on the above?
Old 09-25-14, 06:47 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Mine H4 has the audio issue. So...we're under the impression its the disc... not the player?
Old 09-25-14, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,010 Likes on 616 Posts

So exactly how many minutes is the audio synch off in H4?
Old 09-25-14, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
So exactly how many minutes is the audio synch off in H4?
I only noticed it for 5-6 minutes.
Old 09-25-14, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

So I'm basically finished with the set for now. I didn't bother watching the Zombie films but watched the rest. I also didn't listen to the new commentaries but watched all the new bonus features. For some reason, the new documentaries are divided into 2 parts but play as a whole. They are chock full of great information. The Horror's Hallowed Ground episodes are a nice addition. This won't win box set of the year but I appreciate the work that Scream put into making the new extras.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.