DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   THE SOPRANOS (Complete Series on Blu - REGION FREE - UK Only (for now)) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/619766-sopranos-complete-series-blu-region-free-uk-only-now.html)

Shannon Nutt 04-29-14 06:45 PM

THE SOPRANOS (Complete Series on Blu - REGION FREE - UK Only (for now))

Amazon UK has a link up for a complete series set in September. Haven't heard anything about a US release, but this is region free for those who don't mind importing:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sopranos-Com...g=bluraycom-21

£129.99 = $218.79

islandclaws 04-29-14 06:54 PM

Re: THE SOPRANOS (Complete Series on Blu - REGION FREE - UK Only (for now))

It's so hard for me to buy HBO releases when they're all on HBO GO in HD.

Shannon Nutt 04-29-14 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by islandclaws (Post 12092538)
It's so hard for me to buy HBO releases when they're all on HBO GO in HD.

Not nearly at the A/V quality of Blu-ray, though. That's why many of us still buy discs.

I'm hoping this set offers some new exclusives and isn't just the prior BD sets + the new upgraded-to-Blu seasons.

Mike86 04-29-14 07:01 PM

I'd purchase this eventually but not for the current asking price. I still have my complete series set on DVD which will hold me over for a while.

E Unit 04-29-14 07:24 PM

Looking forward to the US release whenever that's announced.

Supermallet 04-29-14 08:31 PM

AFAIK, there are no new features. Simple repackaging of the existing DVD sets with HD transfers and DTS-HD audio.

MTRodaba2468 05-01-14 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 12092624)
AFAIK, there are no new features. Simple repackaging of the existing DVD sets with HD transfers and DTS-HD audio.

I'll gladly take it, though. I've been wanting the whole series on Blu-Ray for a while.

While the fact it's getting a UK release suggests a US release is on the horizon, if we don't get word about a US one soon, I'll likely just import...

bruceames 05-03-14 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468 (Post 12094098)
I'll gladly take it, though. I've been wanting the whole series on Blu-Ray for a while.

While the fact it's getting a UK release suggests a US release is on the horizon, if we don't get word about a US one soon, I'll likely just import...

I'll just import as well. Even if/when the U.S. version comes out, it'll be more expensive anyway, like box sets and TV series bundles always are. But I will wait for the UK price to come down a little first.

redcat 05-05-14 10:50 PM

I don't understand the business decision here. This is an American show that was wildly successful here in the US, so why at the very least is it not being released at the same time here? Where is the business sense in that? Does it have something to do with the Amazon deal, which I think gives them the rights to stream all the episodes starting this month sometime? Also, for what it's worth, I noticed that the DVD set is listed at about $100 cheaper than the US version on the British Amazon site.

Gizmo 05-05-14 11:02 PM

Catalog sales are in the toilet. TV catalog is even worse. Retailers don't want to stock big Boxsets that don't sell.

UK is getting the complete series of House on Blu. Nothing for the US yet.

PhantomStranger 05-06-14 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by redcat (Post 12098256)
I don't understand the business decision here. This is an American show that was wildly successful here in the US, so why at the very least is it not being released at the same time here? Where is the business sense in that? Does it have something to do with the Amazon deal, which I think gives them the rights to stream all the episodes starting this month sometime? Also, for what it's worth, I noticed that the DVD set is listed at about $100 cheaper than the US version on the British Amazon site.

It's only a matter of time now with a UK release scheduled for sale. American studios determine release dates based on their own quarterly revenue needs as much as anything else. A set like the Sopranos is likely to get a marketing push in the 4th quarter for Christmas sales.

Gizmo 05-06-14 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12098301)
It's only a matter of time now with a UK release scheduled for sale. American studios determine release dates based on their own quarterly revenue needs as much as anything else. A set like the Sopranos is likely to get a marketing push in the 4th quarter for Christmas sales.

Is that why we (US) are enjoying Caprica Season 1? Or Suits? Or many other TV shows exclusive to the UK (and other) markets?

Not saying it won't happen, but it's not a done deal. HBO/Warner tried three times with Sopranos (Once on HD DVD/Blu, another with just Blu, and again with just Blu) and each time the Season sets were a failure in sales. Now asking retailers to carry it again - now in a bigger box with a higher price tag on smaller shelves is a very tough sale.

slop101 05-06-14 10:57 AM

I'd like to know why it's more feasible in the UK market than in the US market.

E Unit 05-06-14 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 12098472)
Is that why we (US) are enjoying Caprica Season 1? Or Suits? Or many other TV shows exclusive to the UK (and other) markets?

Not saying it won't happen, but it's not a done deal. HBO/Warner tried three times with Sopranos (Once on HD DVD/Blu, another with just Blu, and again with just Blu) and each time the Season sets were a failure in sales. Now asking retailers to carry it again - now in a bigger box with a higher price tag on smaller shelves is a very tough sale.

As far as I know, all HBO shows released in the UK have been released here. So we'll get it, it's just a matter of when. They tried in the UK as well and just released the same seasons if I recall.

I for one would pick up Suits in a heartbeat if they ever released it on blu. But USA long abandoned their support for the format. I would have also loved to have had the entire series of Burn Notice on blu.

PhantomStranger 05-06-14 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 12098472)

I think you are aware of the differences between a failed SyFy series and one of the best-rated programs in television history.

Supermallet 05-06-14 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 12092624)

Turns out there may be some new bonus material on it after all.

Gizmo 05-06-14 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12098810)
I think you are aware of the differences between a failed SyFy series and one of the best-rated programs in television history.

Sure, one would be MSRP $40 and the other $300 (and not sell).

Friends has already been heavily discounted just to move units.

bunkaroo 05-07-14 01:30 PM

I just rewatched the series recently so I'll wait for whenever the US release comes.

Shooba 06-02-14 03:03 PM

"All six seasons of the James Gandolfini drama will be released in a collectible boxed set on Nov. 4 for a suggested retail price of $279.98."

Via Hollywoodreporter.com

E Unit 06-02-14 04:36 PM

Here's the linkified version. I'm when the price goes $100 and under.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sit...INAL_embed.jpg

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...y-first-708358

'The Sopranos' Coming to Blu-ray for First Time (Exclusive)

All six seasons of the HBO drama will be released in November, with more than five hours of bonus features.

All six seasons of the James Gandolfini drama will be released in a collectible boxed set on Nov. 4 for a suggested retail price of $279.98. All 86 episodes of the Emmy, Golden Globe and Peabody Award-winning series will come on 28 Blu-ray discs in an elegant box featuring artwork from the series.

Included in the set is a free digital HD copy of every episode and more than five hours of bonus material including lost scenes, two roundtable dinners with the cast and crew, 25 audio commentaries as well as a new and exclusive featurette exploring how The Sopranos was created and ultimately transformed the TV landscape.
"Defining a Television Landmark" runs 45 minutes and features all-new interviews with the cast, crew, celebrities, filmmakers and academics as well as series creator David Chase, Gandolifini, director Steven Soderbergh, Jeff Daniels and Steve Buscemi. (Check out an exclusive clip from "Defining a Television Landmark," above, in which Tim Van Patten, Terence Winter and Buscemi discuss seminal season three episode "Pine Barrens.")

Shannon Nutt 06-02-14 04:46 PM

Great...was hoping for more than just a 45 minute new documentary, but maybe some of those lost scenes will be new as well.

Mike86 06-02-14 06:49 PM

Like I said earlier, I'll purchase this again but I'm not in a big hurry. Glad to see the complete series is coming to Blu-ray though.

Rypro 525 06-02-14 09:32 PM

Assuming Best Buy does their 50% off HBO sale around christmas, this should be $139 around then

Shannon Nutt 06-03-14 08:14 AM

Can the mods update the thread title to indicate both a US release (or just nix the UK only text) and the release date?

PerryD 06-03-14 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 12125268)
Assuming Best Buy does their 50% off HBO sale around christmas, this should be $139 around then

I think the Best Buy 50% off sale is off their regular selling price, so maybe around 70% off MSRP. So if their price is $199 for this set, the sale price will be $99.