DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Why Didn't HBO Ever Release "From The Earth To The Moon" in HD? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/619053-why-didnt-hbo-ever-release-earth-moon-hd.html)

Decker 03-26-14 11:01 PM

Why Didn't HBO Ever Release "From The Earth To The Moon" in HD?

I'm just stunned that this series, probably the best thing they've ever done (along with The Sopranos and Band of Brothers), has never had an HD release. My son is getting into studying the Space Program and I'd love to show him this mini-series. I was amazed that it never got an HD treatment for how important and well received it was. Yes, it wasn't shot in HD, but hasn't HBO upgraded previous Sopranos seasons onto Blu Ray?
It's also not streaming on HBO Go like Band of Brothers and The Pacific do.

mattysemo247 03-27-14 07:34 AM

Re: Why Didn't HBO Ever Release "From The Earth To The Moon" in HD?

I'm surprised The Sopranos and Six Feet Under haven't had complete series releases as well. At least we got Deadwood.

Shannon Nutt 03-27-14 08:04 AM

Good question...who knows. It's certainly a quality series.

Gizmo 03-27-14 09:33 AM

HBO has tried not once, not twice but three times with Sopranos but the sales just were not high enough. Catalog TV just doesn't really sell all that well. If it's a Limited Series it might, but asking them for Six Feet Under etc. is a pretty tough sale. Not even sure how we got Deadwood (granted that was three and a half years ago when Blu-ray sales were on the rise).

bunkaroo 03-27-14 09:38 AM

Is FTETTM in HD on HBO GO?

Mr. Salty 03-27-14 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12058322)
Yes, it wasn't shot in HD

It was shot on 35 mm film, which is higher resolution than HD.

I'm wondering whether FTETTM was edited in SD, or the special effects were rendered in SD. The latter isn't a good reason to not make Blu-ray available since "Firefly" had SD effects and still looks good on Blu.

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 12058663)
Is FTETTM in HD on HBO GO?

It isn't available on HBO GO.

bunkaroo 03-27-14 01:05 PM

Hmm I wonder if they somehow lost rights to it.

mogore 12-10-15 02:57 PM

I worked with one of the associate producers for the series and he was in charge of post production. the series WAS posted in HD, the show was shot on film and then transferred via Kodak Cinesite and edited in HD. although it was not edited 16x9 and not broadcast in HD, the masters are HD it isn't a technical issue -I could live with the non 16x9 framing as I love the series. it appears to be a money issue regarding if its worth it to market it. It might be a rights thing though it has shown up in the past on warner bros blu ray release lists with no date attached.

hdnmickey 12-10-15 03:22 PM

From what I remember, the DVD re-release that did have 16x9 framing made it obvious that 16x9 was not the best framing option for the series. If we do ever get a BD release I would hope they would go back to the 4x3 framing.

DJariya 06-26-19 11:14 AM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...3e6c38f5ed.jpg

Coming on Blu-Ray July 16th

Also:

"To celebrate the [Apollo 11] anniversary, the standard definition visual effects have been replaced with brand-new CG [computer graphic] effects that are based on reference models from NASA," HBO announced on Tuesday (June 25).

On July 15, all 12 digitally-remastered episodes will be available to watch on HBO Go, HBO Now and HBO On Demand. Then, on July 20 — the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing — HBO2 will air a marathon of the complete series, starting at 8:45 a.m. (ET/PT).

HBO is also releasing "From the Earth to the Moon" on Blu-ray on July 16, with remixed audio in Dolby ATMOS and an "Inside the Remastering" featurette, which provides a behind-the-scenes look at the "decision-making process and work put into updating and replacing the previous CG effects."

Co-produced by Tom Hanks, Brian Grazer, Ron Howard and Michael Bostick, the same team behind the 1995 feature film "Apollo 13," HBO's "From the Earth to the Moon" follows the early years of the U.S. space program through the six missions that landed 12 Americans on the moon.

With a budget of $65 million, "From the Earth to the Moon" took over two sound stages at Disney-MGM Studios (today, Disney's Hollywood Studios) in Orlando, Florida and was filmed at NASA's Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral and Edwards Air Force Base in California, among more than 100 other locations.

"NASA allowed production access to many areas and buildings at the Kennedy Space Center that were actually used during the space program, including the launch pads, the vehicle assembly building, astronaut corridors, NASA medical offices and Mercury Command Center (Mercury Mission Control)," said HBO.

Each episode begins with an introduction by Hanks and features a crew of well-known actors, including Adam Baldwin, Bryan Cranston, Tim Daly, Cary Elwes, Sally Field, Dave Foley, Al Franken, Tony Goldwyn, Mark Harmon, Elizabeth Perkins, Kevin Pollak, Stephen Root, Alan Ruck, Peter Scolari and Rita Wilson.

The miniseries' directors and writers included David Frankel, Graham Yost, Frank Marshall and the late Al Reinert.

"From the Earth to the Moon" was based on Andrew Chaikin's 1994 book, "A Man on the Moon: The Voyages of the Apollo Astronauts." Apollo 15 moonwalker David Scott served as consultant.

E Unit 06-26-19 11:28 AM

Pretty funny reading the whole thread, then an official press release for it.

Decker 06-26-19 11:29 AM

Thanks for the bump! :banana: Great news.

Glad to see it finally come to streaming as well

andicus 06-26-19 01:12 PM

Nice! And at a decent price, too!

DJariya 06-26-19 01:26 PM

$23 for the 12 episode BD is a good deal. I'll probably get it for that price. It's long overdue for a decent HD release.

b2net 06-26-19 02:09 PM

And I will likely triple dip now to get the Blu. 1st DVDrelease. Then re-release in Animorphic with bonus features. And now the Blu.

​​​Too bad this wasn't earlier and we may have received a 'UV" digital copy as well.

Decker 06-26-19 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by b2net (Post 13570185)
And now the Blu. Too bad this wasn't earlier and we may have received a digital copy as well.

:hscratch: It says right there on the box that it includes a digital copy.

davidh777 06-26-19 02:40 PM

I’m in as I still haven’t watched my DVD copy.

b2net 06-26-19 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13570197)
:hscratch: It says right there on the box that it includes a digital copy.

I get that. I forgot to our "UV" digital copy. Therefore this will be limited to only 1 streaming service. I will edit my post to include what I was thinking and didn't type.

Decker 06-26-19 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by b2net (Post 13570247)
I get that. I forgot to our "UV" digital copy. Therefore this will be limited to only 1 streaming service. I will edit my post to include what I was thinking and didn't type.

Well previous HBO series I have redeemed on VUDU have not transferred to Fandango Now so I can't see what the difference would be.

b2net 06-26-19 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13570255)
Well previous HBO series I have redeemed on VUDU have not transferred to Fandango Now so I can't see what the difference would be.

Some HBO series were UV and some were not. My point was that too bad this wasn't from a time when we did get UV from HBO series or any series that is. Because those times are soon to be over.

Decker 06-26-19 08:37 PM

I understand what you are saying, I was just wondering if you ever had UV transfer your TV content from one service to another I had a couple of old Flixter content eventually (years later) get transferred to VUDU. Never had a VUDU-redeemed TV series get transferred anywhere else. Have you?

b2net 06-27-19 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13570371)
I understand what you are saying, I was just wondering if you ever had UV transfer your TV content from one service to another I had a couple of old Flixter content eventually (years later) get transferred to VUDU. Never had a VUDU-redeemed TV series get transferred anywhere else. Have you?

Almost all of my UV TV content passed via UV. Starting last year, some of the most recent WB UV TV content didn't import to FandangoNOW. FN claimed the content was not UV when in fact it was just FN that didn't have UV rights for the content.

Shannon Nutt 06-27-19 06:43 AM

The question is how will the new FX look and will they keep the full-frame OAR or matte it for widescreen? I'm definitely going to take a look on HBO before buying the series.

b2net 06-28-19 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 13570478)
The question is how will the new FX look and will they keep the full-frame OAR or matte it for widescreen? I'm definitely going to take a look on HBO before buying the series.

What was interesting on the DVD set is neither full frame OAR or Widescreen was a complete image in the DVDs. Both cropped information from the source. Here's to hoping they either give the full image which is wider than 4x3 yet taller than 16x9 OR they give us both with the option to watch either. Similar to the Battlestar Galactica from the 70s Blu Ray set.

GoldenJCJ 07-20-19 11:29 AM

HBO is playing these in HD today for the Apollo 11 anniversary. They look and sound pretty damn good.