Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD DVD, or: How do I learn to let go?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HD DVD, or: How do I learn to let go?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-14, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: HD DVD, or: How do I learn to let go?

There are some media swapping websites where you can post them.
Old 02-25-14, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even with you swallowing the shipping costs, I don't think you will do better than gizmo's offer. But if you have the time and patience, you can try! Good luck!
Old 02-25-14, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by fitprod
Skeet...
How about Skeet Surfin'? Never tried it but it sure looks like fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f_19nxNfjs

At this stage I can't see why people would toss out their HD DVDs and replace them with Blu-ray. I have about 300 HDDVDs and they still play fine, except for about 3 or 4 Warner titles.

By the time my HD DVD players break down there will probably be a 4K version I'll want more or the Blu-ray will cost a buck. Why spend $5-$15 each replacing them with the same transfer on Blu-ray?

Last edited by orangerunner; 02-25-14 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-25-14, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Jediturtle
Even with you swallowing the shipping costs, I don't think you will do better than gizmo's offer. But if you have the time and patience, you can try! Good luck!
Shipping 100 titles from Canada would easilly leave him PAYING to unload them, even though he would "get" $80, it would cost $100 or more to ship them! Have you any idea how ridiculously expensive Canada to US shipping is? It's something like $1 per 15 grams.

Seriously, just keep them as backups, and if you're really adventurous, rip them and burn your own BD-Rs of the ones you don't own on Blu yet. It isn't worth the perhaps $0.50 per title.

I've still got around 50 titles myself. Sold many to Amazon back a couple of years ago, and actually got decent prices then, $7 to $10 each for most titles. But, I still am holding onto my XA2...
Old 02-28-14, 04:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
You might want to look into what films matter to keep on that format. Sometimes they hit BD and they didn't work out as well.
What Snake said - the HD-DVD of 'The Thing' is still the best version available. I think there are at least a couple more.
Old 02-28-14, 08:50 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm keeping all my HD DVD, unless any go rare and I can sell them at a good price. Those Red cases look good on the shelf too. I even searched around to finish my collection with The Bonnie and Clyde HD DVD Digibook and P2 amongst others on the cheap.
Old 02-28-14, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'm keeping all of my HD-DVD import titles. I do have quite a few regular titles that I'd part with but I may not since I don't want to re-buy the fucking thing(s) on Blu-ray. Why double-dip if I already have it? I still have a brand new HD-DVD unit sealed in a box in case my main unit stops working.

I treasure my Pan's Labyrinth French import Boxed set and La Vie En Rose on HD-DVD.
+2.

I have the The Terminator 2 on HD DVD. It was a German release steelbook, and looks fantastic on my Toshiba HD DVD player (XA2). I few other rare ones I think, and won't be giving them up anytime soon.

And I don't like re-buying titles, especially when I have around 300 of them.
Old 02-28-14, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
+2.

I have the The Terminator 2 on HD DVD. It was a German release steelbook, and looks fantastic on my Toshiba HD DVD player (XA2). I few other rare ones I think, and won't be giving them up anytime soon.

I also have that German T2 steel box, which is actually the best looking version on the market.
Old 02-28-14, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Keeping all 69 of my HD-DVDs as well. HD-DVDs still has a special place in my <3.
Old 03-01-14, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
What Snake said - the HD-DVD of 'The Thing' is still the best version available. I think there are at least a couple more.
They really screwed the pooch on the BR release of Apollo 13 as well. DNR'd it to death. HD version is much better. It seems they are worthless to everyone but you. Throw them out or donate them.
Old 03-01-14, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I still have a large number of HD-DVDs as well and even a few laserdiscs. They are worth having around to me. What is shocking to me isn't that HD-DVD has no resale value. It's the fact my regular DVDs and most of my Blu-rays are equally as worthless if I tried to sell them. Interest in physical media really fell off the map.
Old 03-01-14, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by darkside
I still have a large number of HD-DVDs as well and even a few laserdiscs. They are worth having around to me. What is shocking to me isn't that HD-DVD has no resale value. It's the fact my regular DVDs and most of my Blu-rays are equally as worthless if I tried to sell them. Interest in physical media really fell off the map.
Many people bailed on HD DVD right away getting premium prices for their collection. However at the time the BR were also going for a premium. I noticed the prices dropping so fast, I figured even if the HD DVD were worthless, most of the BR would be
Old 03-01-14, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by darkside
I still have quite a few Criterion LD's, too. We'll never see some of those ported over to BD due to rights issues.
Old 03-01-14, 02:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I still have an A1 and an A35. I have 88 discs, although 3 or 4 of them I've double dipped on for Blu-ray (Adventures of Robin Hood, Zodiac, Shaun of the Dead come to mind). I see no reason to get rid of them.

Last edited by Supermallet; 03-01-14 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-01-14, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

I got the subliminal message in there
Old 03-03-14, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still have my A-35 and though it is not used as much I still do and still have most of the HD-DVD's I bought..A few have gotten dry rot such as, Kiss Kiss Bang and I rebought it on Blu-ray. Otheriwse I will keep playing them until they all die out..