Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Doomed! The Untold Story of Roger Corman's The Fantastic Four - Coming to Blu-Ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Doomed! The Untold Story of Roger Corman's The Fantastic Four - Coming to Blu-Ray

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-14, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Here's the trailer for the documentary:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hb0z33xu4WU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You can order the BD right here off the official site:

http://doomedthemovie.com/product/combo-pack/

It's $24.95

This is an independently produced film, so it's unlikely to get a five finger discount or appear on Amazon for all you cheap bastards.
Old 02-07-14, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: Doomed! The Untold Story of Roger Corman's The Fantastic Four - Coming to Blu-Ray

This could be interesting, I'll probably pick this up once it's out. I wonder if the documentary Kevin Smith has talked about making regarding the Burton Superman which he wrote a script for will ever come out. That could be an interesting story to see too.
Old 02-07-14, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Doomed! The Untold Story of Roger Corman's The Fantastic Four - Coming to Blu-Ray

So has anyone else here but me actually seen the movie? Some aspects of it weren't all that bad, but most were indeed pretty terrible. Almost on parr with the unaired, live action Justice League pilot.

This documentary looks good, though.
Old 02-07-14, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

I've seen it. I have a copy on vhs that I bought at a convention 20 years ago.

It isn;t as bad as you would think.
From what I remember most of the budget went to a special effect for the climax of the movie.

The Thing costume was well done too.
Old 02-07-14, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't watched all of it (I know it can be found fairly easily) but the parts I've seen honestly don't seem all that bad. It's cheesy yes and obviously by today's standards it's incredibly dated but some of it actually looks pretty decent to me. They actually got the costumes all down pretty well for the most part. I think if it had a bigger budget and some fine tuning it probably could have turned out okay, at least by Corman's standards. The live action Justice League pilot on the other hand is absolutely horrid.
Old 02-08-14, 03:58 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. I think the film is bad, if not horrible, but it had very good intentions. That budget for sure could have been bigger to make it better cuz Jesus, man. It is so cheap. And for good reason.

The thing suit actually looks good for that time. I admire that bit very much.
Old 02-08-14, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I always thought The Thing suit looked better than the one they ended up using in the big budget 20th Century Fox version of The Fantastic Four. Ditto Doctor Doom.
Old 02-08-14, 08:29 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Interestingly, it seems there's a bit of controversy as to whether or not the film was originally intended to be released or not, Stan Lee said the film was never intended to be released, but Roger Corman and the now-deceased German film producer who had the FF movie rights at the time (and who went on to produce the two FF movies that WERE released) said otherwise:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fan..._release_plans

Hopefully, this doc will explain everything.

And I wonder if I could make a comic book superhero movie for a lower budget (say $10 million - $15 million)? I really want to produce some movies based on independent comic books in the future (starting with fan films of TMNT and Gen 13, and hopefully moving on to bigger, official comic-to-film adaptations).
Old 02-08-14, 09:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I got to see this, as from what I've seen the Fantastic Four looks beyond hideous (as in watching a car crash in slow motion).
Old 02-08-14, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 896 Likes on 721 Posts

Never seen it.

I wish Corman would do a documentary on the Poe cycle films of the 1960s. Of course it's too late now, but he *is* still alive! I think that was one of the greatest coups in all of low-budget film history. And they were actually literate and well done! I'd actually relish such a docu, and buy it. Unlike th Fantastic Four one.
Old 02-09-14, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always enjoyed documentaries about films. This could be interesting...
Old 02-09-14, 03:39 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's my thing. I love film history and this one is interesting.
Old 02-09-14, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

I haven't seen the Corman FF but will see this.
Old 02-09-14, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Never seen it.

I wish Corman would do a documentary on the Poe cycle films of the 1960s. Of course it's too late now, but he *is* still alive! I think that was one of the greatest coups in all of low-budget film history. And they were actually literate and well done! I'd actually relish such a docu, and buy it. Unlike th Fantastic Four one.
It's not a full documentary on that but it is touched on a bit in the documentary: Corman's World: Exploits of a Hollywood Rebel. Pretty good documentary on his career as a whole for those interested in him and his films or just good documentaries about making of films in general.
Old 02-09-14, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Back when I heard about this movie, I was in college and after classes, I would visit my local video and rent the latest B movies. I was really into Shannon Tweed's cheesy erotic thrillers and a lot of the stuff from New Horizons/Concorde home video, which released Corman's stuff. Anyways, I saw a trailer at the beginning of the VHS for one of Corman's movies and at the end it said "Coming soon to VHS"

And I waited and waited and waited to no avail.

Anyone pull the trigger yet and pre-order this documentary? I believe it's supposed to be released this summer.
Old 02-09-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't ordered it yet but I'm definitely planning on picking it up. It would be nice if Amazon offered it as I sometimes don't like dealing with sites like this who I don't know much about. I don't care about price I just feel safer with Amazon generally.
Old 02-09-14, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mike86
I haven't ordered it yet but I'm definitely planning on picking it up. It would be nice if Amazon offered it as I sometimes don't like dealing with sites like this who I don't know much about. I don't care about price I just feel safer with Amazon generally.
But this site is from the Producers of the film. You're ordering directly from the people who made the documentary, similar to the F13 doc. There is nothing shady about it. Read the website, the People who made the doc introduce themselves.
Old 02-09-14, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I saw a trailer at the beginning of the VHS for one of Corman's movies and at the end it said "Coming soon to VHS"

And I waited and waited and waited to no avail.
There was a trailer at the beginning of Carnasaur (spelling?) back then..
Old 02-09-14, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by John Pannozzi
Interestingly, it seems there's a bit of controversy as to whether or not the film was originally intended to be released or not, Stan Lee said the film was never intended to be released, but Roger Corman and the now-deceased German film producer who had the FF movie rights at the time (and who went on to produce the two FF movies that WERE released) said otherwise
And that's why I hope this documentary doesn't try to present Corman as a plucky little guy whose dreams of an FF movie were quashed by The Man. It was pretty widely known even at the time that the production was simply to secure the rights because (IIRC) Speilberg had expressed interest in them.

There was a Film Threat cover article on the movie while it was in production. The cast all expressed hopes that this would be a good break for them, that despite the low pay and harsh working conditions they would at least get the chance to be noticed. In the end, they didn't even get that.

The FT author spoke glowingly of the craft services table on set. Because film crews generally can't leave the set to grab lunch or dinner (and often are working miles from any restaurant), they rely on the craft services table to keep them fed during their long working days. On the FF set, the craft services table provided only baloney sandwiches and generic soda. Corman had his people working at 12-14 hour days and all he fed them was baloney. In more ways than one.
Old 02-09-14, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
There was a trailer at the beginning of Carnasaur (spelling?) back then..
There was also a trailer for it on the VHS release of The Fan(yes the Snipes/Deniro one). I've always wondered how they managed to pull that off.

I always thought this movie was kind of fun. Yes it's low budget, and corny, and the plot is dumb. But you can see everyone having fun with it and you could tell it was a labor of love. So it's pretty enjoyable on that basis.
Old 02-09-14, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why not release the actual movie? rights-hell?
Old 02-09-14, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Disc-Flipper
Why not release the actual movie? rights-hell?
I don't think anyone would even know who owns the rights to release it anymore. It's not like Marvel would try and block it or anything.
Old 02-09-14, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I believe this is the trailer from the aforementioned VHS movies..

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/r_X5C6e3ZeY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-10-14, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I've seen the movie - it IS as bad as you've heard. It's god-awful, in fact. It is better than the low-budget Captain America movie, though.
Old 02-10-14, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

This is the Teaser Trailer I saw on VHS back in the early 90s. It has the infamous "Almost." notation at the end and "Coming soon to a theatre near you."

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zLnsUOL-O84" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was working at a Blockbuster at the time and someone came in looking a specific title that supposedly had the Teaser. He had heard it from a friend of a friend. I pulled the video from the shelves and played it on the store's system for him. I love the music (from Battle Beyond The Stars) and overall, it's a pretty exciting Teaser for a crappy film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.