Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Little House on the Prairie - Season 1 (with The Pilot Movie) 03/25/14

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 01-22-14, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Little House on the Prairie - Season 1 (with The Pilot Movie) SRP $38.99

For list of the episodes look under season 1
Old 01-22-14, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 889 Likes on 618 Posts
Re: Little House on the Prairie - Season 1 (with The Pilot Movie) 03/25/14

I've never been a huge fan of Little House but it looks like they're actually treating this first season set with a little respect.
Old 01-23-14, 07:54 AM
Suspended

Wow, this is something I thought would never even be talked about being released on Blu. Doubt they will finish the series though.
Old 01-23-14, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by banthafett View Post
Doubt they will finish the series though.
Yeah, that would be the biggest concern if I were a fan. Of all the series to bring to Blu, this seems like an odd choice.
Old 01-23-14, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

This is going to sell handful of copies.

What an odd choice.
Old 01-23-14, 09:26 AM

Received 549 Likes on 333 Posts

We have the complete series on DVD because my wife is a fan and they only look okay. Plus, we're pretty sure there are at least some episodes cut for syndication so the restored to full broadcast episode length is intriguing. I feel stuck, though, in that if people don't buy the early seasons, will they make the later ones, let alone a complete series collection - which is what we would really want.
Old 01-23-14, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by story View Post
We have the complete series on DVD because my wife is a fan and they only look okay. Plus, we're pretty sure there are at least some episodes cut for syndication so the restored to full broadcast episode length is intriguing. I feel stuck, though, in that if people don't buy the early seasons, will they make the later ones, let alone a complete series collection - which is what we would really want.
Didn't they do a complete set for Dick Van Dyke and later release them individually?

That was at least somewhat reassuring.

Look at That 70's show. It was released on Blu-ray at a pretty low price ($15 or so a Season), and we haven't heard a peep for a Season Three. That show has far more appeal to Blu-ray owners of Little House.

However, I'm not even sure what studio is releasing Little House.
Old 01-23-14, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 625 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
However, I'm not even sure what studio is releasing Little House.
Lionsgate.
Old 01-23-14, 09:36 AM

I'd disagree about appeal between those two. Little House has the people who grew up on it, buying it for themselves, and to show their kids, and old people who like old stuff. Hasn't that other thread about DVD / Blu-ray trends showed that Blu-ray is entering the homes quite a bit? I dunno. Never liked That 70s Show and I was in college when it came out so if that show was targeted at a demographic, it was me. I'm not a big Little House fan, but I would prefer to watch Little House. That's also not a sentence I ever thought I would write.
Old 01-23-14, 11:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'd disagree about appeal between those two. Little House has the people who grew up on it, buying it for themselves, and to show their kids, and old people who like old stuff. Hasn't that other thread about DVD / Blu-ray trends showed that Blu-ray is entering the homes quite a bit? I dunno. Never liked That 70s Show and I was in college when it came out so if that show was targeted at a demographic, it was me. I'm not a big Little House fan, but I would prefer to watch Little House. That's also not a sentence I ever thought I would write.
I agree. I think Little House will do fine as a Blu-ray release. The price is right ($20 at Walmart), it's in color which matters to some, a family show, stretches across generations, and the previous release of DVD's were not the best (mix of syndicated and sped up episode with only average quality).

Also, LionGate isn't just releasing it in Blu-ray but upgraded DVD's as well.
Old 01-23-14, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by banthafett View Post
Wow, this is something I thought would never even be talked about being released on Blu. Doubt they will finish the series though.
There is a good chance they will finish it because it isn't all about just a Blu-ray release, but also preparing it for future HD syndication. The current masters are a mix of cut and time sped episodes in just average quality. That is what the previous DVD releases were based on. My understanding is that they went back to the original film elements to create new uncut HD masters. If you are going to the expense for future syndication you might as well release to DVD and Blu-ray to offset some of the costs.
Old 01-23-14, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Little House has a soft place in my heart, grew up watching the show.

I would love to have to the BR Disk, just to see how good they could look.

Watched the series hundreds of times.
Old 01-23-14, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Didn't they do a complete set for Dick Van Dyke and later release them individually?

That was at least somewhat reassuring.
The difference is that Image had remastered to HD prior to the last DVD release (it was the source). So when it came to putting out Blu-ray they had all seasons in HD on hand to do a complete series release.

I'm guessing this is more like Star Trek TNG where they are tackling one season at a time, releasing when each season is completed, and not waiting several years down the road for the whole series to be transferred.
Old 01-23-14, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder if the episodes will finally be uncut. I knew this had to be coming since I just imported every season from the UK.
Old 01-23-14, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy View Post
I wonder if the episodes will finally be uncut. I knew this had to be coming since I just imported every season from the UK.
The press release from Lionsgate says
"Not seen since their original TV broadcast, all twenty-four season one episodes are now presented complete and uncut, newly restored and remastered for optimal picture and sound quality."
Old 01-23-14, 05:43 PM

That's what they are saying.
Old 01-24-14, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Glad to hear it's uncut. The UK discs are uncut but definitely could use some remastering. If they complete the series on blu ray, my region 2 discs won't be worth spit. Too bad this news didn't come about just a little earlier. I researched the hell out of the available editions too before buying them. My daughters have been watching the show and like it a lot. For kids, it's a lot better than the Disney channel fare that passes for entertainment these days. They've finished the first season though and I doubt they'll be wanting to see it again anytime soon.
Old 01-24-14, 08:03 AM
Premium Member

Received 423 Likes on 333 Posts

Fucking A, Little House on the Prarie. Now I can close out my blu ray collection.
Old 01-24-14, 08:40 AM

Glad to hear it's uncut. The UK discs are uncut but definitely could use some remastering. If they complete the series on blu ray, my region 2 discs won't be worth spit. Too bad this news didn't come about just a little earlier. I researched the hell out of the available editions too before buying them. My daughters have been watching the show and like it a lot. For kids, it's a lot better than the Disney channel fare that passes for entertainment these days. They've finished the first season though and I doubt they'll be wanting to see it again anytime soon.
We are currently on season 2, going through the series for a second time. Look at it this way, you can finish the entire series this year, while the complete collection most likely won't be available on Blu-ray for likely 4+ years. So by the time it is completely available in HD they might be ready to do it again.
Old 01-24-14, 09:08 AM

My daughters have been watching the show and like it a lot.
Originally Posted by bsmith View Post
We are currently on season 2, going through the series for a second time.
May I ask how old your children are and whether you think they're getting a lot out of it? Our daughter is a toddler so probably still a little young but just trying to gauge when to introduce her to the series.

I may have to put our DVD complete series on Craigslist soon.
Old 01-24-14, 10:36 AM

May I ask how old your children are and whether you think they're getting a lot out of it? Our daughter is a toddler so probably still a little young but just trying to gauge when to introduce her to the series.

I may have to put our DVD complete series on Craigslist soon.
I think it depends a lot on the child. When we first watched it my daughters were 7 and 3. My seven year old enjoyed it very much while my 3 year old probably just noticed the animals and scenery and didn't catch much of what was going on. We would then talk a bit about the message and/or to answer any questions. Now you might want to read a bit ahead because some of the stories lines can be more intense and might be better skipped with young children. Also, as the children in the show get older the messages are more mature.

Now this next time through is a bit different. My daughters are now 11 and 7. My 7 year old is the more sensitive of the two and so more of the stories are too much for her right now. So we are very selective on which ones to show her. For my older daughter, we watch the remainder just before her bedtime while my youngest is already in bed.

So I don't think it is age based as much as how well the child handles some conflicts and tragedies that may come up from time to time. However, if you review the storylines ahead of time there are plenty in the first four seasons that are easily watched by most children because they deal with common elements children are familiar with.
Old 01-24-14, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My daughters were 8 and 11 when they started the show. Birthdays are soon though.
Old 02-14-14, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First look:

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...storation.html
Old 03-13-14, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 89 Posts

Noticed season 2 is up for pre-order at Amazon for $17.96
Old 04-04-14, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
Fucking A, Little House on the Prarie. Now I can close out my blu ray collection.
Brutal House on the Prairie, count me in.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.