Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Once you buy a blu ray that you already own on dvd, do you sell the dvd?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 01-13-14, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

When I bought the Halloween 25th Anniversary Divimax dvd, I kept my Halloween Media Home Entertainment vhs tape for nostalgic reasons. When the 35th Anniversary Halloween Digibook came out I kept the dvd because it had some features on it that the Blu Ray didn't.

I also have 2 copies of Ferris Bueller Day Off on dvd because one is bare bones with a John Hughes commentary track and the other has lots of features but no commentary track. Same with The Deer Hunter. The Michael Cimino commentary track only exists on region 2 releases.

I also keep dvd's if they have really cool packaging like the faux leather Evil Dead Book of the Dead sets. As well as the Day of the Dead pop out cover.

But other than that, I usually trade in every dvd that I replace on blu ray. Most times the Blu Ray is superior in almost everyway so the decision is easy. But I know some people who don't believe in getting rid of anything. VHS, laser disc, DVD, Blu-Ray, they keep it all. I can't exactly call them a hoarder, because at 2500 dvd's/blu's/vhs myself I'm not exactly in the free and clear. But when a vhs or dvd becomes obsolete from my viewing habits. I almost always get rid of it.

Where do you fall on the keep it/get rid of it hoarder spectrum?
Old 01-13-14, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Once you buy a blu ray that you already own on dvd, do you sell the dvd?

What I have done in most cases is...
(A) If the Blu-Ray is a combo pack I try to give away the DVD to friends & family first, then try to sell.
(B) If the package is only a single "Blu" disc then using "press on hubs" or for multi disc sets (aka: TV) I purchase a new multi-disc case and keep it for use with my portable DVD player or notebook.
If I go with "B" I also fold the older DVD paper cover and tuck it between the Blu's cover and the case, and then recycle the DVD's case.
Old 01-13-14, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I keep everything. Not necessarily because I want to, but simply because it isn't worth the time and effort to make a buck or two selling them. And that is if I can even find anyone who would take them anyway.
Old 01-13-14, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I haven't upgraded many titles, but the few I have done, I have either tried to sell back to Amazon, sell locally, or give away as gifts. I'm not going to sell something for 50 cents, I'd rather keep it or give it away or donate it.
I can see making a homebrew 'combo pack', one concern I have with bluray is that DVD players are so much more prevalent. But usually if I'm watching a bluray, it's either because i got a great deal on a set (Weeds complete series) or because I want to take advantage of the high quality audio and sound so I'm not going to watch a bluray on a laptop or on a portable player in a hotel room somewhere. I have enough DVDs that if I want to bring disks somewhere, I can bring something I want to watch.
Combo disc solves that problem, but I'm not going to pay 30 bucks for a title, two versions of which I may never watch.
Old 01-13-14, 07:37 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I keep everything. Not necessarily because I want to, but simply because it isn't worth the time and effort to make a buck or two selling them. And that is if I can even find anyone who would take them anyway.
That's close to where I am.

I keep everything that has even the most trivial of difference in special features. For the relatively few releases where everything is truly carried over from the various DVD releases to the BD, I put in a "to sell" pile to mostly give away to friends and family.
Old 01-13-14, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Assuming there's not content that didn't carry over to the Blu-ray (or it's content I don't care about), I usually just sell it back to Amazon for credit - yes, I'm lucky to get a dollar or two, but it's so much easier than trying to sell it online and worry about dealing with a (potentially) unpleasant customer. If the amount Amazon is giving for a trade-in isn't worth the trouble, I'll just give the DVD away to family or friends.

However, I NEVER get rid of DVDs that are part of a Blu-ray combo pack...primarily because the day may come when I want to sell/trade-in THAT set and I won't be able to do that if it's not complete.
Old 01-13-14, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

I used a ton of them for Best Buy's U&S, when that was still a thing. Now I just throw them on a pile that friends & family are welcome to take from when they're over.
Old 01-13-14, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I keep everything, but since I have a fixed amount of shelf space (my wife won't let me add more and frankly I don't blame her), I end up storing them in the closet.

I'm also starting to store the discs in paper sleeves and filing them in a custom file cabinet. The disc covers are taken out of the case and filed on a shelf in alphabetical order, while the cases are put in storage. Those with special packaging (ie, anything that's not a standard amary case) are left intact.

You'd be surprised how much space is saved just by getting rid of the standard amary cases.
Old 01-13-14, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

I generally give mine to friends or family, and I've donate some to a library.
Old 01-13-14, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

If they are not worth much I swap them for other dvd's on a website. If they are worth anything over $5 I sell them on Amazon.
Old 01-13-14, 09:41 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Yes...however they are now worth pennies.

I usually list them on eBay for an amount I think is fine and let eBay auto renew the listing. Somehow I sell 3-5 a month at MSRP. It's crazy.
Old 01-13-14, 09:43 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceames
I keep everything, but since I have a fixed amount of shelf space (my wife won't let me add more and frankly I don't blame her), I end up storing them in the closet.

I'm also starting to store the discs in paper sleeves and filing them in a custom file cabinet. The disc covers are taken out of the case and filed on a shelf in alphabetical order, while the cases are put in storage. Those with special packaging (ie, anything that's not a standard amary case) are left intact.

You'd be surprised how much space is saved just by getting rid of the standard amary cases.
I'm about at that step right now. I used to love the packaging...but it's just to much.
Old 01-13-14, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I've gotten rid of most upgrades. I can't think of any offhand, but if there's a major extra missing from the Bluray, I'll make my own combo pack.
Old 01-13-14, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Almost always. There are rare cases where I care enough about a special feature to keep the DVD, but that has been less than 1 in 100. I have abut 90% of my collection converted to Blu-ray now, so opportunities to upgrade a disc are becoming less and less since it's all catalog that's left.
Old 01-13-14, 10:02 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I give them away mostly or just sell them for whatever they'll give me at a used bookstore I frequent here.
Old 01-13-14, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm considering starting to do this, I have an eBay account anyway. I have no use for it unless I has extras the Blu doesn't, and maybe I can get some cash for it. Storage is a major issue too, I'm rally running out of room, if I ever galvanize my life and get a job I don't hate and move into my own place, maybe I can buy better storage.
Old 01-13-14, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like dvd packaging better, so I put the blu in dvd case with the dvd. Also a lot of blu full frame discs like the Star Trek Episodes can't be zoomed to fill a crt television screen, so instead of watching episodes windowboxed, I watch the dvd, if on a crt television.
Old 01-13-14, 11:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

If I can get a few bucks on trade-in I will go that route. If the DVD is duplicated as well because a DVD came in the Blu-ray packaging then I give it away. Otherwise, I slide it into a paper sleeve and hook it under the guides on the inside of the Blu-ray case cover (when an addendum might go). Never know when the DVD might come in handy, and as long as it doesn't take up any space I might as well keep it.
Old 01-13-14, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I used to keep the DVD if there were certain extras that weren't carried over. Now I don't even care, so I just sell the damn thing. DVD cases are too big and take up too much space.
Old 01-13-14, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sell them to this record and movie store I frequent if there aren't any exclusive features. I just sold They Live, Prince of Darkness, and Halloween 1 + 2, for instance.
Old 01-13-14, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
While true if you try to sell them one at a time once awhile.. but you never know what you might get for something. Over the past year I purged my dvd collection, getting rid of stuff I will never watch again, or stuff I had upgraded and came away with a pretty good chunk of cash.

Enough to buy a new 73" TV and some other blu rays I had hoped to open up. So YES.. it was worth it.
Old 01-13-14, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dtcarson
I can see making a homebrew 'combo pack', one concern I have with bluray is that DVD players are so much more prevalent.
That's exactly what I do. Just last week I finally upgraded my DVD of Hoosiers to blu, but used a combo blu-ray case (I've bought about three dozen on eBay) to house both discs. I unloaded a ton of DVDs to Amazon a couple of years ago but kicking myself for it now because the DVDs have come in handy when my son and I travel. We watch the DVDs on my laptop on the plane and at rental properties that are only outfitted with DVD players.

And I've come to loathe the bulkier DVD cases, so repacking the DVDs in blu packing makes me happy.
Old 01-13-14, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

I sold my DVDs years ago before/during the beginning days of Blu-ray/HD DVD. Made some money back that I pumped into BD. So Hollywood got my $ again.
Old 01-13-14, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Never get rid of anything- even if I get a silly Blu-Ray combo pack that includes the same DVD I already have, I still keep the DVD in its original packaging. My mom called me a "hoarder" recently, and I decided I'm OK with that.
Old 01-13-14, 03:00 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I just don't like the idea of having an empty slot in my blu ray combos, so I never sell or get rid of them. Besides, a good chunk of my combo titles seem to be PG and kid friendly titles, so my kids use those. I'll keep some old DVD releases if they have extra content the blu's don't (the 4 disc set of Kingdom of Heaven for example). For most others, I sell them off to a local used DVD/Blu ray/CD store. On some, I sell them on EBay for actually pretty good prices (just sold a copy of the documentary Flamenco for $37). Amazing that they do get sold, along with my old school laserdiscs. Someone's trash is someone else's treasure. Although, I wouldn't really say any of my old DVD's are trash - except for a handful maybe.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.