HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

4K Blu ray coming soon

Old 01-12-14, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: 4K Blu ray coming soon

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
They are working on glasses-free 3D, but I'll believe that when I see it (Vizios are junk anyway, had one of their TVs but never again). I've never minded the glasses, and I already wear regular glasses. It's clear much of the press doesn't like 3D.
If they get to the point where 3D does not requires glasses and can convert any content to a 3D image then people may care more.
Old 01-12-14, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Let's get real. The only time 4k will be an advantage is when 100" OLED displays are as common and cheap as 46" sets are now. Until then, it's a marketing gimmick, and just mental masturbation for those who enjoy conspicuous consumption and living in glass houses. Period.
Old 01-13-14, 08:00 PM
Banned by request

Didn't people say roughly the same thing about HD when it first popped up?

I don't think there will be nearly as fast of an adoption rate to 4K as there was with HD, mind you.
Old 01-13-14, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Let's get real. The only time 4k will be an advantage is when 100" OLED displays are as common and cheap as 46" sets are now. Until then, it's a marketing gimmick, and just mental masturbation for those who enjoy conspicuous consumption and living in glass houses. Period.
I don't quite see it as just marketing in some respects like computer monitors. As for home televisions, sure it looks amazing yet no content and will likely take years for enough to be in 4K so I can see how it would be a bit more gimmick like for that as everyone's large 1080P screen looks amazing from where they sit.

I do wonder what someone would even do with one now. Unless it's a huge computer monitor (if the large ones are even set up for that) I'm not sure what the point would be yet.
Old 01-13-14, 09:37 PM

Maybe this is wrong, but I read somewhere that the difference between Bluray and 4K becomes noticeable only on screens that are 80" or bigger. If this is true, I'm sticking with Bluray.

First of all, I have no room for an 80" (or larger) screen. And secondly, even 10 years from now they will still be out of my price range.
Old 01-13-14, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RD1973 View Post
Maybe this is wrong, but I read somewhere that the difference between Bluray and 4K becomes noticeable only on screens that are 80" or bigger. If this is true, I'm sticking with Bluray.
Only if you sit close enough (closer than you would the 1080p equivalent of a simalr sized monitor).

Old 09-05-14, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just when you thought physical media was out...they pull you back in.

Or not. Unless the hardware (i.e. TV, receiver, etc) come down to realistic price points, 1080p will be just fine with me. Let's see how long the flash in the pan will be for this.

4K Blu-ray Confirmed, Coming in Late 2015

4K Blu-ray is officially on the way. According to Victor Matsuda, Chairman of the Blu-ray Disc Association Global Promotions Committee, the BDA expects the specs for 4K Blu-ray to be finalized in the first half of 2015, paving the way for commercial availability by the end of the year. This means we can expect to see actual 4K Blu-ray movies and players available in stores by Christmas next year.

Apart from the jump to 4K resolution (3840 2160p) we can also expect 4K Blu-ray to support higher frame rates (up to 60fps), an expanded color gamut along with high dynamic range (HDR), as well as HEVC/H.265 encoding to compress 4K movies more efficiently and allow for higher bit rates. The group is currently exploring the possibility of increasing the disc capacity to 66GB or 100GB.

The news was confirmed by representatives on the show floor at IFA 2014 in Berlin, which opened its doors to visitors today.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14923
Old 09-05-14, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When it comes to whether 4K is worth it or not, I think it will often be on a case-by-case basis. Some titles will probably noticeably benefit and some won't. It's not just a matter of the technical specs, but also of how the existing versions were handled. There are some titles (usually catalog) with shoddy quality, due to old masters being used or bad decisions like using EE and DNR. It's possible that some titles that could look good on BD but are crappy, will get released on the 4K format with very nice quality, just as some really bad DVDs have gotten good BD releases.

I wonder how they're getting higher bandwidth though. Is the physical disc structure changing, or will they be spinning the discs faster?
Old 09-05-14, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Blu-ray and 1080p is it for me.
Old 09-05-14, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
Just when you thought physical media was out...they pull you back in.

Or not. Unless the hardware (i.e. TV, receiver, etc) come down to realistic price points, 1080p will be just fine with me. Let's see how long the flash in the pan will be for this.

4K Blu-ray Confirmed, Coming in Late 2015

4K Blu-ray is officially on the way. According to Victor Matsuda, Chairman of the Blu-ray Disc Association Global Promotions Committee, the BDA expects the specs for 4K Blu-ray to be finalized in the first half of 2015, paving the way for commercial availability by the end of the year. This means we can expect to see actual 4K Blu-ray movies and players available in stores by Christmas next year.

Apart from the jump to 4K resolution (3840 2160p) we can also expect 4K Blu-ray to support higher frame rates (up to 60fps), an expanded color gamut along with high dynamic range (HDR), as well as HEVC/H.265 encoding to compress 4K movies more efficiently and allow for higher bit rates. The group is currently exploring the possibility of increasing the disc capacity to 66GB or 100GB.

The news was confirmed by representatives on the show floor at IFA 2014 in Berlin, which opened its doors to visitors today.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14923
This is being pushed by the hardware manufacturers, desperate for a new product to market. Even the studios are showing tepid interest this time.
Old 09-05-14, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Or possible renewed interest if the 4k hardware market gains ground. With data capping and ongoing streaming issues, they could possibly do it, but that would mean lowering overall costs which means less profit. And that's a big no-no.
Old 09-05-14, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My Super-VHS machine is more than enough.
Old 09-05-14, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Won't buy the Hobbit movies until they put them out at the proper frame rate, so hopefully this can do it.
Old 09-05-14, 02:09 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I won't buy the Hobbit movies because they're not worth buying, regardless of the frame rate, so I don't care if this can do it.
Old 09-05-14, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Nope, not going to buy into 4K. 1080 to downloading straight to the brain is what I am waiting for.
Old 09-05-14, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On a 60" screen the difference between 1080p and 4k isn't very noticeable - certainly not enough to warrant re-buying everything I currently own.

4K BD will be a VERY niche market.
Old 09-05-14, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
This is being pushed by the hardware manufacturers, desperate for a new product to market. Even the studios are showing tepid interest this time.
Completely agree. It's the manufacturer's pressing need to bring out something fresh and new, not the public demanding it.

The studios are tepid about the current physical media formats, let alone introducing a new one.
Old 09-05-14, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a 118" screen so I say bring it on. I will eventually get a 4K projector but I am waiting for the prices to go down obviously. Even though I am interested, I am at least a couple of years out from upgrading to 4K and even then that depends on the price. It may even be 3 or 4 years depending on what happens with the industry.
Old 09-05-14, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Even though I probably won't be buying into it, I say bring it on! This means an extension of physical media and a delay to an all-streaming model. That is excellent, so this is actually great news in the survivability of physical media front, and gives it a few more years of breathing room -- hopefully.
Old 09-05-14, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Online exclusive discs? Can't believe retail stores would bother stocking this in great quantities.
Old 09-05-14, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

With prices coming down to reasonable levels, I would pay the premium for a regular Ultra HD set, like $1299 for an LG Ultra HDTV. I'm waiting for a 4K Projector for under $6000, so hopefully I will be upgrading within a year. I will also be in line to get the 4K blu-ray once the price drops under $600 depending on the amount of movies available.
Old 09-05-14, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Online exclusive discs? Can't believe retail stores would bother stocking this in great quantities.
Maybe Ken Crane's will make a comeback in the mail order business.
Old 09-05-14, 04:51 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
With prices coming down to reasonable levels, I would pay the premium for a regular Ultra HD set, like $1299 for an LG Ultra HDTV. I'm waiting for a 4K Projector for under $6000, so hopefully I will be upgrading within a year. I will also be in line to get the 4K blu-ray once the price drops under $600 depending on the amount of movies available.
For me, I think it would have to be about $3000 for a quality 4K projector (from Panasonic or similar) and an Oppo player for $500 or so. Until then, I'm fine with waiting this one out awhile.
Old 09-05-14, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
I wonder if manufacturers would pay studios for exclusivity of certain titles, similar to the launch of BD 3D. That was pretty awful, but that doesn't mean it won't happen again.
Old 09-05-14, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just in time for Avatar 2 3D to be a Panasonic exclusive.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.