HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

4K Blu ray coming soon

Old 01-09-14, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 4K Blu ray coming soon

Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
Best Buy.
With the huge selection of the top 40 films!
Old 01-09-14, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

But I bet they'll have tons of 4K content on CinemaNow- their stuff is already spectacular as it is! (Sarcasm again!)
Old 01-09-14, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
With the huge selection of the top 40 films!
Don't worry Gimzo, Paul Blart (and upcoming sequel!) and all the classic Kevin James films will be part of that Top 40!
Old 01-09-14, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't worry Gimzo, Paul Blart (and upcoming sequel!) and all the classic Kevin James films will be part of that Top 40!
Here comes the Boom Extended Cut?!?!
Old 01-09-14, 10:04 PM
Banned by request

If they were smart, they would bundle 4k capable players and discs in with 4k TV purchases. Of course, with no standard, there are no discs to be made at the moment.
Old 01-09-14, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm in for 4K, especially on my 10 foot screen. I was thinking about upgrading to the Sony VW600 projector, but the $15K msrp has made me wait another year. Hopefully by then, there will be some 4K content that isn't that proprietary Sony hard drive server. Netflix streaming 4K content already is pretty cool.
Old 01-10-14, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have watched 4K on several different 4K HDTV (Best Buy and other stores), it look good...but not that much better than BR movies that have been mastered correctly with a high bandwidth.

Now, 4K gives you the abiltiy to have larger TVs, but a 85 inch 4K HDTV will not fit will my man cave. I am better a ton of people are not looking to put a 85/100 inch HDTV in their house.
Old 01-11-14, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant View Post
Now, 4K gives you the ability to have larger TVs, but a 85 inch 4K HDTV will not fit will my man cave. I am betting a ton of people are not looking to put a 85/100 inch HDTV in their house.
That's good point. With DVD, the quality peters out at (arguably) a 37"-40" TV compared to Blu-ray whereas Blu-ray probably peters out at maybe 80"?

Will there be a huge demand for 80"+ screens to utilize the better quality? The national trend is that most people are being cramped into smaller and smaller homes and apartments.

On the other hand, if 4K TVs are available is all sizes at today's prices, I guess it will be a non-issue anyway.
Old 01-11-14, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Here comes the Boom Extended Cut?!?!
woohoo - my life's complete!
Old 01-11-14, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post
Will there be a huge demand for 80"+ screens to utilize the better quality? The national trend is that most people are being cramped into smaller and smaller homes and apartments.
I think 75" will be the popular size much like 60" is now (and 46" used to be), but it'll be awhile before that happens. I just got a 65" and it'll serve me well for 5+yrs. It's getting to that point where the size looks normal to me now...lol...

If 4K content is offered I'll go for it, but it's hard to see it gaining much traction with anyone other than an A/V enthusiast. Even here you see examples of people owning hundreds of movies, yet not really caring about the equipment they watch it on.... the "good enough" attitude.
Old 01-11-14, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
I'm hoping you are joking.
Nope. Trash guy just took them away yesterday. So, where can I buy them? Do you know?
Old 01-11-14, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What about bandwidth? Will it have the same bandwidth but the new codec will allow typical BD quality in 4k, or will they spin the discs faster?

And if the codec will handle it, is it possible we could see 1080p titles using it with more material and/or even better quality?
Old 01-11-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
What about bandwidth? Will it have the same bandwidth but the new codec will allow typical BD quality in 4k, or will they spin the discs faster?
There are no answers yet.
Old 01-11-14, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So if Best Buy doesn't sell it, the whole thing fails. Good to know. I doubt places like Amazon, Fry's, all of Europe and Asia will sell it either.....

I'm not saying it'll be a success, in fact I don't. I think they need to worry more about how many people will even buy a 4k TV. All of this is worthless unless it's put to its full use. I for one won't be buying one unless a 70" is $3k and under, which won't happen for a very long time. So for me, having a 4k Blu ray is worthless until then.
Might not be that long: http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/07/c...pseries-price/
Old 01-12-14, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

[QUOTE=Drexl;11974011]What about bandwidth? Will it have the same bandwidth but the new codec will allow typical BD quality in 4k, or will they spin the discs faster?[/quote
As Adam Tyner says, nobody knows yet. However, the conjecture is that a 4K disc format would use a combination of larger capacity discs and new codec.

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
And if the codec will handle it, is it possible we could see 1080p titles using it with more material and/or even better quality?
It's possible, but unlikely. A new video codec means it won't be backwards compatible with existing Blu-ray, so such content would have to be released on the new discs. It'd be like the idea of cramming an entire TV season in SD onto a Blu-ray disc: Certainly possible, but no studio has done so yet. Certainly 1080p extra content will appear on the new format, similar to SD extras on Blu-ray discs, but as for 1080p feature content, that'll likely stick to Blu-ray due to the larger market for them.
Old 01-12-14, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If this becomes a new standard, I see the day of releases with 5 discs of a single movie all in the same case: (1) DVD version (2) Blu-ray version (3) Blu-ray 3D version (4) 4K Blu-ray version (5) 4K Blu-ray 3D version
Old 01-12-14, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
If this becomes a new standard, I see the day of releases with 5 discs of a single movie all in the same case: (1) DVD version (2) Blu-ray version (3) Blu-ray 3D version (4) 4K Blu-ray version (5) 4K Blu-ray 3D version
It won't be. Ever.

Vizio has already dumped 3D from its TVs and most other CEs will probably follow.
Old 01-12-14, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm probably looking at getting a new display within the next 12 months to replace my 7-year old 61" DLP. I will likely get a 70" panel but maybe an 80" depending on price. Definitely nothing bigger. I am not convinced at all that I would need 4K for that size of display. Blu-ray has been worth it for my display size without question, but I don't really see 4K taking more than a small fraction of Blu-ray's install base.
Old 01-12-14, 02:30 PM
Banned by request

Yeah, 3D TV appears to have already gone bust.
Old 01-12-14, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hollywood trots out 3D about every twenty or thirty years, to boost sagging attendance. It's never permanently caught on and the manufacturers are moving on to the next bulletin-point for marketing purposes. The dirty secret is that high-end displays are being sold over and over again to the same 30-40% of the population, but the technology is not rapidly improving enough to get consumers into the stores again. Most of the high-end market has already upgraded a couple of times in the past decade and people are happy with their current displays.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 01-13-14 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-12-14, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm not upgrading my Panny Plasma () until OLED makes it mainstream and the costs are reasonable.
Old 01-12-14, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Most of the articles I've read mention that 3D is still a part of the new TV's just no longer an advertised feature. 3D is now just another standard feature on newer TV sets.
Old 01-12-14, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
Most of the articles I've read mention that 3D is still a part of the new TV's just no longer an advertised feature. 3D is now just another standard feature on newer TV sets.
Vizio dropped 3D
http://variety.com/2014/digital/news...tv-1201031076/

Vizio is not including 3D support in any models of its 2014 lineup of televisions — a concrete sign the CE industry’s stereoscopic dreams are fading. Instead, Vizio is pinning future growth on Ultra HD, launching a new series of 4K-capable sets with support for Netflix’s content in the high-resolution format.
Old 01-12-14, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

They are working on glasses-free 3D, but I'll believe that when I see it (Vizios are junk anyway, had one of their TVs but never again). I've never minded the glasses, and I already wear regular glasses. It's clear much of the press doesn't like 3D.
Old 01-12-14, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
They are working on glasses-free 3D, but I'll believe that when I see it (Vizios are junk anyway, had one of their TVs but never again). I've never minded the glasses, and I already wear regular glasses. It's clear much of the press doesn't like 3D.
It depends a bit on the glasses. Active 3D glasses were a bit of a pain. Passive 3D glasses, the same that most cinemas use (e.g. RealD) is better, but on TVs it can cause a "screen-door" effect if you're too close, since the alternate polarization on every other scan line. 4K TVs will have better passive 3D since the double horizontal resolution means that the screen door effect will be effectively halved.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.