Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

What will you do if physical media goes away completely?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: What will you do if physical media ceases to exist?
I may actually buy MORE movies than before. Bring on the digital age!
0%
My buying habits won't change. I'm adaptable.
5.88%
I will buy movies here and there, but less than before.
34.12%
I will stop buying movies completely. Streaming/VOD will be my new master.
34.12%
I will boycott the industry completely. Fear change!
10.59%
I will turn to a life of crime... it's not stealing if it's a computer file, right?
12.94%
Computers? The Internet? Ain't nobody got time for that!
2.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

What will you do if physical media goes away completely?

Old 11-18-13, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 676 Likes on 489 Posts
Re: What will you do if physical media goes away completely?

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
No offense, but it seems a little silly to defend those annoyances unless you work for a broadcasting company (which I wanted to do a long time ago, but would never do now). I tried to at least keep tolerating the Fox logo during The Simpsons since it was such a great show, but it really ruined it for me. There's just no logical reason to have a permanent mark on the screen, and if I can't enjoy a show why should I waste my time watching it? Commercials are like brainwashing- seeing the same commercial several times in one day makes me feel significantly dumber. My tolerance for repetition has diminished over the past few decades too, I can't even listen to the same radio station all day anymore if they play the same commercial several times.

I used to watch a LOT of TV decades ago (and spent plenty of time defending it against those who said "TV rots your brain" and all that) and never would have imagined that it would get so bad that I couldn't stand to watch it anymore, but it did and I did. I used to buy a LOT of CDs, but that stopped when record labels got greedy and started raising prices. Some prices are coming back down now, but the passion for collecting those I once had is already gone. (Plus maybe I'm just old, but a lot of current music is pretty bad. There's still some good music though, but it's sad that many music producers don't care much about sound quality.) I started buying MORE movies when DVD prices kept going down (having been used to $40 laserdiscs before that), but if that market gets ruined I'll just find something else to spend my time and money on.
So did you crawl into my brain and read my thoughts!?

I once worked in broadcasting and screamed bloody murder when the practice of using bugs began. That's when it was only on the screen for ~10 seconds about every 15 minutes. When I left that industry about 14 years ago it had gotten pretty bad and it's only gotten worse in the interveening years. The theory when the practice began was people didn't know what channel they were watching and the bug was needed to remind them so those precious diaries would be filled out correctly.

Other than some classic jazz my music collection is pretty much "complete" in that there's little "new" material that interests me enough to want to make a purchase. Even then if it's not available on a CD then I do not want, or need, a copy.

Anyway... If physical media goes away so does my spending. I'll never purchase "digital only" unless I can download the file and burn my own DVD. If it's only available "in the cloud" then the studio can keep it. Unless ISPs can come up with much faster internet connections without increasing the price I'll not buy into the streaming model either (even then I'll only do commercial free streaming) as it's too unreliable with horrid quality (in many cases worse than VHS at SLP speed). I'm done paying someone to "rent" content as I have enough physical media to last me quite nicely for the rest of my life.
Old 11-18-13, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I'll never purchase "digital only" unless I can download the file and burn my own DVD.
I might be OK with a download-and-burn model, as I've done that for free to get a lot of home-brewed stuff and afterwards gotten something of decent quality that I could play like any normal DVD, but for a movie I would expect to pay substantially less seeing that I would have to provide the blank disc and packaging as well as deal with the downloading. When CinemaNow started out, before Best Buy bought them, they had a deal where you could pay to download and burn DVDs, but they were all priced the same as or more than the retail DVDs of the same titles. They had a special "test disc" you could download for free to see if it would work with your equipment, I tried that out and could never get it to work, and their tech support was unable to provide any answers. The technical problems had something to do with how they kept the CSS protection on the resulting disc so you couldn't just burn a ton of copies for your friends. The burned "manufactured-on-demand" DVDs out there are on special blank discs to accommodate that.

(And yes, it seems the broadcasting industry doesn't want anyone working in it for the joy of it. My dream was to run an independent TV station showing rare movies and stuff geared towards whatever community it was in, but those disappeared with the rise of Fox and the other 'new' networks. It doesn't seem that stations can even get movies anymore that aren't pre-cut for TV with national ads already included.)
Old 11-23-13, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm kinda torn. I love browsing for blurays and enjoy picking one up and all the extra features and everything but I'm finding myself away from home so much that most of my movie watching is done streaming on my ipad. I also have totally stopped buying CD's because I'd much rather just get it instantly on my iphone and not have to worry about ripping and maintaining an obnoxious user-unfriendly PC-based iTunes library. I don't see myself buying movies digitally because digital formats will always be changing and improving and will eventually be 4K and I don't want some lame 780i version of a movie I love sitting in a cloud somewhere. Screw it. I probably will just catch movies in theatres and Netflix from now on if discs go away.
Old 11-24-13, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I can't buy discs anymore or they become too expensive, I'll probably stop buying movies completely. I'll rely on the movies and TV shows I already have and supplement that with new content from broadcast TV and free streaming sites (ie. Hulu). I don't think missing out on new movies would bother me too much. Overall, I like watching TV shows more anyway.
Old 11-28-13, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I'd sell all my physical discs and find another hobby. Probably would be a blessing in disguise.
Old 11-28-13, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Until internet providers (and the general public) take their heads out of their asses, physical media for film isn't going anywhere.
Old 11-28-13, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 143 Likes on 109 Posts

If they complete stopped selling physical media, I think the used market would contain enough titles to keep the hobby interesting for many years to come.

As for new titles, I would probably just wait and watch them via Netflix.
Old 11-29-13, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 108 Likes on 85 Posts

If Physical Media goes away....I may have a prayer of ever completing my backlog.
Old 11-29-13, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No one cares how we old fogeys feel about the physical media model. We're going to be dying off soon, and we stop spending much money on new stuff way before then anyway. It's the kids that are growing up now with their iTunes and their Netflix that are going to have no problem whatsoever adapting to an all virtual model. That's just progress, and I'm fine with it.
Old 11-30-13, 07:26 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 256 Posts

Physical media will never completely disappear. Even if regular stores (B&M or online) discontinue handling it, there's always Ebay. Hell, you can still buy 8-track tapes and players on Ebay.

As far as the thread title is concerned, if physical media ever goes away completely we'll just kick back and enjoy what movies we have. If we watched at least 1 every day (which we don't because we have TV shows we like to watch too), it would take us 2 years to watch everything we have now, then we start the whole process over again. As it is, it takes us at least 3 years to make it through the whole collection, movies and TV shows combined. So, even if physical media goes away completely (which it won't), we're set for a lifetime of entertainment as it is. We don't do streaming. Just don't have any interest in it.
Old 11-30-13, 08:34 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

There's always the rest of the world as well, especially Europe - in particular Blu ray which continues to grow over there.
Old 11-30-13, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Being annoyed by the channel logo in the corner of the screen speaks more to the quality of the show rather than the logo it's self. If the show is good, (whatever your definition), then you won't even notice it. Plus, a lot of them are semi transparent to be less intrusive.
Depends on your nature, I guess. Anything on the screen that does not belong there is annoying to me, and takes me a little out of the show I am watching.

OTOH, one night I walked in and my wife was watching TV with the VCR (yes, really) display button on so there was junk all over the screen. I took the control and turned the display off, and she was startled by it - said she never noticed all the extra graphics. Go figure.

Back on topic, if physical media goes away, I'll be lurking the pawn shops and secondary market for what I missed. No digital purchases unless it is something I want so goddam bad there is no other way. Like a widescreen, fully restored-length Miracle Of The White Stallions.

Last edited by hilts; 11-30-13 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-30-13, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

By the time physical media goes away, my collection will probably be so big that it'll take me the rest of my life to watch them all just once.

I'm sure at the very least physical will never go away, and for the die hard collectors it'll be a niche market with distributors like Criterion and others selling them at a higher price (as sales will be so low, like LD was, that they'll have to charge more).

Not sure though whether the major studios will ever stop releasing their top movies on Blu-ray/DVD. If 4K comes to Blu-ray, then it'll extend the life even more. And if it doesn't and 4K stays digital-only, then the studios will have no qualms about releasing a lesser quality movie on Blu-ray as long as people continue to buy it. After all, they still mostly buy DVD and Blu-ray has been out for 7 1/2 years now.
Old 11-30-13, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
There's always the rest of the world as well, especially Europe - in particular Blu ray which continues to grow over there.
I think the only market over there that still has Blu-ray growth is Germany. The steelbook craze remains in full force there.
Old 11-30-13, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been very impressed with the selection at Amazon Prime and soon I think I could give up cable for it. After a week of no commercial viewings, I can't stand the tv commercials now.

I have not paid for a CD or song in 5+ years. YouTube and Spotify are good enough. The radio is ok for the car, too.

As for movies, I guess I'd simply buy the streaming movie from amazon or vudu. I've always hated all the previews, copyright warnings on dvds/blus anyway.
Old 11-30-13, 06:49 PM

Going to Best Buy this Black Friday and seeing how many people were still looking through and buying movies, I have a bit more hope that it won't go away completely. Just put out stuff people want at a good price, and they'll buy it. The only real threat is the new movies that are coming out on 'digital' weeks earlier than disc.

I've noticed a lot of newer Blu-Rays are taking less time to start up than ones that came out a few years ago. Some Disney titles don't even make you sit through the "loading" screen unless you actually select an extra that requires it to load. The forced copyright warnings are still insane though, and probably push more people into doing exactly what they tell them not to do. I imagine if "digital" purchases become more popular, they'll find a way to put more pre-movie crap in those too, and disable any way to skip through them just like the commercials on Hulu Plus.
Old 11-30-13, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 858 Likes on 720 Posts

I did notice less and less teenagers checking out the Black Friday media items (other than videogames) this year than in past years. It seemed to me like a lot of 30 and up customers looking for DVDs and BDs in the Black Friday specials.
Old 11-30-13, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I think the teens are to be found in theaters. Not sure they realize how much money they're throwing away. Studios love that.
Old 11-30-13, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,183 Likes on 922 Posts

I hope that if the brick and mortar retailers stop carrying physical media anytime soon that studios at least offer the option of buying films online somehow. Even if it was burn on demand like the Warner Archives stuff that would be better than nothing. I'd still probably buy less of them since they'd probably be more expensive but at least it would be an option for films that I really enjoy.
Old 12-02-13, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hardly buy too much today. Only stuff I like or that looks nice. Most stuff I already watch via "a life of crime" so if physical goes away it's even LESS insentive for me to buy. Actually scratch that, it will be NO insentive for me to buy.
Old 12-03-13, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If physical media goes away completely, I imagine I'll be able to order movies on the touchscreen that's installed on the back of the pig's head that I'm flying around on while the monkeys that flew out of my butt are giving me their thoughts on my purchase. At times they are annoying but they mean well, so I can't fault them for that.
Old 12-03-13, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts

I was reminded this weekend of why I will never rely on a service like Vudu.

Earlier this year when the deal was going on to upgrade DVD's to HDX for 2.50, I did it for a bunch of titles that still only have a DVD release. Saturday night I tried watching one of them via streaming. It was Before Sunset, so we're not talking some effects-heavy or sound-heavy presentation. I would have to imagine it's a pretty lean HDX title. I'm about 15 minutes in, and I get a buffering interruption. Could be a fluke so I just keep going. The only other person in the house is with me and not using a network device.

So I get a second buffering interruption 10 minutes later. Now I go and check my speed via Speedtest and I am still hitting well over 10Mbps. My service level is 15Mbps, and I expect having Vudu actively engaged accounted for the lower reading since I always get 15 on my tests.

So I give it one more try. Sure enough - more buffering. Then it says do you want to switch to HD from HDX? Sure why not. Nope - still buffering. Again this is with my speed test coming back fine.

Vudu got turned off. I finished the movie on DVD. I don't know what is up with their service to cause this, but it very likely is not on my end. And even if it was, that still goes to show how spotty this model can be.

Now I know some will say "why not just download it then", but isn't the whole point of a streaming service to, you know, stream? FWIW my girl uses Netflix a lot to stream TV shows and hasn't had too many problems, but it does happen. With TV I don't mind interruptions as much, but it's quite annoying to be getting immersed in a film only to be interrupted with "buffering".

This is why I will buy movies on physical media until the day comes where you can't buy them anywhere.
Old 12-06-13, 01:48 PM

Received 532 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I was reminded this weekend of why I will never rely on a service like Vudu.....
What device were you using?

I've had this same problem happen with the PS3. Repeated buffering problems. Check the speed tests and my connection is 15-20Mbps. Turned off the PS3 and switched to the Roku. Finished the movie with no problems. It doesn't happen all the time. Just once in a while. And I've had a similar experience with Netflix on the PS3. I think the problem's with PSN.

But I agree with the point you're making. Streaming is always going to rely on the strength and reliability of your internet connection. Problems with the internet, and you lose access to your entire movie collection.
Old 12-06-13, 05:13 PM

Now I know some will say "why not just download it then", but isn't the whole point of a streaming service to, you know, stream?
Plus I don't really have anything to download a movie TO, other than my laptop computer which can't deliver multichannel sound or as good a picture as the Vudu apps in my TV and Blu-Ray player. Admittedly HDX quality is usually better than regular DVDs, but I'm still not going to pay anything to convert mine to that. If they come out on Blu-Ray I'll re-buy them, but I'll just stick with DVD or even VHS before 'buying' on Vudu.
Old 12-06-13, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I really don't think I can answer this question without knowing more of the particulars. How do we get to the point of no physical media? What are the available options? How is the quality, and the DRM? I might have said I wouldn't embrace digital distribution of video games, but then Steam comes along and handles it quite well.

Regarding the removal of titles after the service loses the rights, that is a big problem (for rentals at least), but I wonder if it could be done like Steam. If a game is pulled from Steam, it's no longer available to purchase, but as long as you bought it beforehand it stays in your library and on their servers, and you can still re-download it any time you want. I haven't bought any virtual movies as of yet; is this common practice for when titles are pulled?

I could see Disney doing that with their big animated titles someday, as it would give them that limited window of availability but still make people comfortable enough with purchasing them.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.