Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Walt Disney Animated Classics 2014 Blu-ray releases

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Walt Disney Animated Classics 2014 Blu-ray releases

Old 12-07-13, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts
Re: Walt Disney Animated Classics 2014 Blu-ray releases

Disney is so inconsistent in their treatment of animated properties. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh received an amazing restoration on Blu-ray, while other recent releases have been riddled with amateurish mistakes.
Old 12-07-13, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Disney is so inconsistent in their treatment of animated properties. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh received an amazing restoration on Blu-ray, while other recent releases have been riddled with amateurish mistakes.
I found POOH a nice release, although looking pretty scrubbed of grain. The DAY FOR EEYORE short on the same disc, which wasn't DNR'd, is a great comparison demo of what extant grain does to help video look like film rather than video.

Without question I would add my comments to earlier ones disparaging the abdominal releases of SWORD IN THE STONE and to a lesser degree OLIVER & CO. in the last bunch of non-Diamond titles.
Old 12-07-13, 09:28 PM

I predict that we will see all but a couple of the missing animated features in 2014. We'll get TARZAN and HERCULES and maybe ALADDIN, singly. We will get all of the omnibus films at once on three discs (we'll have to wait until 2015 for 101 DALMATIANS, but you can get it right now from the UK). Plus, I think we'll get all six of the omnibus features on a single release date, on three discs:

1. SALUDOS AMIGS and THREE CABALLEROS
2. MAKE MINE MUSIC (hopefully unedited) and MELODY TIME
3. ADVENTURES OF ICABOD AND MR. TOAD and FUN AND FANCY FREE

This is not, of course, inside information. I'm just speculation based on prior year release schedules.

I think they want to get all their animated features behind them so that (hopefully) they can begin concentrating on their live-action features and cartoon shorts, which I suspect they have been secretly upgrading for years for eventual Blu-ray release.

Hope I'm right!
Old 12-08-13, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick
I found POOH a nice release, although looking pretty scrubbed of grain. The DAY FOR EEYORE short on the same disc, which wasn't DNR'd, is a great comparison demo of what extant grain does to help video look like film rather than video.
The Many Adventures of Winnie has definitely been processed by filtering, but it's a much more professional effort than the crude efforts on BDs like The Sword in the Stone. This is one case where the proper tools improved the end result to make it fresh and new, more than 30-some years after release.
Old 12-08-13, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dick
I think they want to get all their animated features behind them so that (hopefully) they can begin concentrating on their live-action features and cartoon shorts, which I suspect they have been secretly upgrading for years for eventual Blu-ray release.

Hope I'm right!
Not-so-secretly with the live action features, many of the are available in HD from Vudu/Amazon/etc.

Last edited by kidglov3s; 12-09-13 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-09-13, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by kidglov3s
Not-so-secretly with the live action features, many of the are available in HD from Vudu/Amazon/etc.
Also not-so-secretly... You don't own those digital files, once a company goes under, or starts to charge an additional fee to access them.

fitprod
Old 12-09-13, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by fitprod
Also not-so-secretly... You don't own those digital files, once a company goes under, or starts to charge an additional fee to access them.

fitprod
I don't own those digital files because I would never pay for such a thing, but their existence is clear evidence that HD transfers exist for titles as minor as The Devil and Max Devlin and as poorly served on DVD as The Happiest Millionaire. My hope is they'll start releasing them on disc, it's disgraceful that in 2013 I can put all the pre-1985 live action features Disney's released on Blu-ray on one hand (Pete's Dragon, Babes in Toyland, Mary Poppins, Tron).
Old 02-11-14, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw artwork for these two. Not sure if it's final or not, but I really like the Aladdin artwork if it's true

Have they confirmed anything between Frozen and re releasing Sleeping Beauty again? Were there any inserts in The Jungle Book?
Old 02-11-14, 08:37 AM

I still can't believe we're getting a Sleeping Beauty re-release before Aladdin or 101 Dalmatians. UGH.
Old 02-11-14, 09:05 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Is that official artwork or just photoshopped crap?
Old 02-11-14, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Is that official artwork or just photoshopped crap?
Is there a difference these days?
Old 02-11-14, 09:12 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Is there a difference these days?
I'll rephrase it - Did Disney officially release it or did he just steal a fan made cover from Blueray.com?
Old 02-11-14, 10:02 AM

The Tarzan one looks fake to me. The Aladdin one could be real, but I don't see why they'd have it ready when it's probably not even coming out this year.
Old 02-11-14, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll rephrase it - Did Disney officially release it or did he just steal a fan made cover from Blueray.com?
Your reading comprehension and remarks continue to amaze me

I'll try to be a little more clear, just for Gizmo. This is the cover art posted over at bluray.com. Which is why I said in my original post, I'm not sure if it's final or not, but thought the Aladdin cover art looked classy. But yes, I agree with LPMA, the Tarzan one looks to be just a placeholder.
Old 02-11-14, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247

I'll try to be a little more clear, just for Gizmo. This is the cover art posted over at bluray.com. Which is why I said in my original post, I'm not sure if it's final or not, but thought the Aladdin cover art looked classy. But yes, I agree with LPMA, the Tarzan one looks to be just a placeholder.
To be fair, you weren't really clear where they were from and the context of where you saw them in your post.
Old 02-11-14, 12:21 PM

They're both mockups made by a poster at blu-ray.com.
Old 02-11-14, 02:20 PM
Suspended

So you are just randomly posting artwork of titles not announced?

I guess I can start a Good Burger on Blu-ray thread?
Old 02-11-14, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
October 2014
Sleeping Beauty - Diamond Edition
I'm still surprised this isn't coming out around the same time Malificent does.
Old 02-11-14, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Which is why I said in my original post, I'm not sure if it's final or not, but thought the Aladdin cover art looked classy. But yes, I agree with LPMA, the Tarzan one looks to be just a placeholder.
That's your first clue it was bogus. They're both teaser posters. I have the Aladdin poster. It's gorgeous.
Old 02-11-14, 06:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I'm still surprised this isn't coming out around the same time Malificent does.
I think they planned it perfectly to come out the same time as when Malificent comes out on blu ray. They'll probably have a promo to buy both.
Old 02-11-14, 06:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I guess I can start a Good Burger on Blu-ray thread?
If you do, you better add some kick ass artwork.
Old 02-11-14, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I think they planned it perfectly to come out the same time as when Malificent comes out on blu ray. They'll probably have a promo to buy both.
Yeah, definitely. Since Malificent is May 30th, releasing it around the first week of October (the 7th) makes sense. This would be the same time they traditionally release their collector/vault editions.

fitprod
Old 02-11-14, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Ok. It's just that I was always so used to for the "First" movie getting re-released some time earlier before the theatrical release of the connected movie (Usually with a movie ticket/movie-cash. I guess those days are over)
Old 02-14-14, 01:07 PM

The UK edition of ALADDIN, complete with audio commentary and lengthy documentary, looks stunning, and is region-free. Why wait?

The UK editions of HERCULES and 101 DALMATIANS are equally wonderful. You do not need to be region-free, and these will cost you less (including shipping) from the UK than if you wait for the U.S. editions.

TARZAN, also available from the UK, apparently has a poor transfer, so I will wait for the U.S. release on that one. No country so far is offering THE BLACK CAULDRON or the six omnibus films.
Old 02-14-14, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

I wonder why the U.S. releases so far are relatively lacking in extras, you'd think Disney would throw everything and the kitchen sink into them.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.