DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Child's Play Blu-Ray Menu Issues (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/613553-childs-play-blu-ray-menu-issues.html)

T-900 09-18-13 06:47 AM

Child's Play Blu-Ray Menu Issues

I'm having some problems with the Blu-Ray menu of Child's Play. Whenever I select 'scene selection' or 'special features' the screen freezes. My control doesn't navigate through the menu at all as it just locks up. When I hit 'scene selection' I can go up to 'chapter 4' before the screen locks up, I can't go pass that point. For 'special features' as soon as I enter it, the majority of the actual listed extras go to a black font and all of them are obviously not clickable. I had to reset my Blu-Ray player many times, I tried cleaning the disc, swapping the batteries out of my remote and nothing worked. I should note that I can actuelly watch the film from start to finish no problem, but I can't access anything else in regards to the Blu-Ray menu.

I also noticed that I couldn't revert back to the Blu-Ray menu when the movie was playing. I had to chapter scan forward at the end credits in order to find my way back to the Blu-Ray menu screen.

Using the pop up menu to try and watch special features or chapter select didn't work either. The same thing happened.

I've never had this problem with any other Blu-Ray before. Could this be a defected disc? is this a common theme? or is my player just having general problems with this individual release?

slimdude 09-21-13 12:09 AM

Re: Child's Play Blu-Ray Menu Issues

Originally Posted by T-900 (Post 11839123)
I'm having some problems with the Blu-Ray menu of Child's Play. Whenever I select 'scene selection' or 'special features' the screen freezes. My control doesn't navigate through the menu at all as it just locks up. When I hit 'scene selection' I can go up to 'chapter 4' before the screen locks up, I can't go pass that point. For 'special features' as soon as I enter it, the majority of the actual listed extras go to a black font and all of them are obviously not clickable. I had to reset my Blu-Ray player many times, I tried cleaning the disc, swapping the batteries out of my remote and nothing worked. I should note that I can actuelly watch the film from start to finish no problem, but I can't access anything else in regards to the Blu-Ray menu.

I also noticed that I couldn't revert back to the Blu-Ray menu when the movie was playing. I had to chapter scan forward at the end credits in order to find my way back to the Blu-Ray menu screen.

Using the pop up menu to try and watch special features or chapter select didn't work either. The same thing happened.

I've never had this problem with any other Blu-Ray before. Could this be a defected disc? is this a common theme? or is my player just having general problems with this individual release?

If the rest of your blu-rays are operable without any defects, then you may have a defected disc. Is this the first time you've ever tried playing it?

Gizmo 09-21-13 09:45 AM

What model BD player do you have? Have you installed the latest software update?

Spottedfeather 09-21-13 03:23 PM

I've watched the same blu-ray several times and didn't notice anything. Strange.

T-900 09-22-13 09:19 PM

Yes I have tried it a couple of times now and still the same result.

I have a Soniq QPB301B and haven't needed to update firmwire nor is it possible to do so with this no-brand older model, however I haven't ever had this problem with any other disc before, and I have played more recent Blu-Rays on this player before which work perfectly.

PhantomStranger 09-22-13 09:43 PM

It is possible the disc went bad. Child's Play is an MGM movie distributed by Fox on Blu-ray. Some of their older pressings have gone bad, though typically the entire disc won't load at all in those situations. Testing the disc on another player would go a long way in solving the problem.

Gizmo 09-22-13 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by T-900 (Post 11844327)
Yes I have tried it a couple of times now and still the same result.

I have a Soniq QPB301B and haven't needed to update firmwire nor is it possible to do so with this no-brand older model, however I haven't ever had this problem with any other disc before, and I have played more recent Blu-Rays on this player before which work perfectly.

A no name BD player could be your issue.

T-900 09-23-13 12:59 AM

The no-name BD player hasn't caused me any issues in the past though, and still doesn't with any other disc I throw in it with the exception of Child's Play. The disc does seem to be very glitchy overall and I don't have access to another BD player to test it on, so maybe I'll just exchange it for another copy and just hope that this one is defected.

FYI, I can access both the audio commentaries, and I listened to one of them last night, but that's about it..