Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Wicker Man: The Final Cut

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 07-26-13, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

“StudioCanal contacted me last year in their search for the original materials that have been missing…. I’m very pleased to announce that StudioCanal have been able to find an actual print of The Wicker Man, which is based on my original cut working with Abraxas, the American distributors, all those years ago… They plan, and this is the exciting bit, to actually release it. This version has never been restored before, has never been shown in UK theatres before, has never been converted to Blu-ray before.”

"The Wicker Man: The Final Cut will be released in the U.K. on September 27, 2013 in theaters and on October 14, 2013 on DVD and Blu-ray. A U.S. release is not planned as of yet but I wouldn’t be surprised if we were able to keep our appointment with the Wicker Man soon after the U.K. bow."
source

OH GOD, OH JESUS CHRIST! am I excited for this!
Old 07-26-13, 09:30 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: The Wicker Man: The Final Cut

Yeah....I'll be picking this one up. I hope the extras are a plenty. UK gets a theatrical release? Lucky arses.
Old 07-26-13, 09:34 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Very in for this one.
Old 07-26-13, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would very much like to buy this.
Old 07-26-13, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm very much in for this...
Old 07-26-13, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 07-26-13, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I've had the zavvi exclusive steelbook on order for awhile now so this is good news.
Old 07-26-13, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 784 Likes on 658 Posts

The remake was good enough for me, I think I will pass on this one...kidding.
Old 07-26-13, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil M.
I've had the Zavvi exclusive SteelBook on order for awhile now so this is good news.
Me too....so why is this good news?
Old 07-26-13, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Me too....so why is this good news?
I was just expecting the theatrical cut.
Old 07-26-13, 01:14 PM

It's still kind of unclear to me, even after watching the video announcement Hardy made, whether or not this is a new print of what we have already seen (but was in terrible condition) on the extended cut Anchor Bay put out, or if this is the long lost 2+ hour cut. I hope there is footage we haven't seen before, but as long as what ends up being released is the definitive directors cut, I can't be too upset.
Old 07-26-13, 01:31 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Exciting news. Makes me wonder where these long-lost print negatives surface. Are they really stored away in catacomb-like basements of studios hidden from view from years of cobwebs?
Old 07-26-13, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On the DVD extras, they explained that the original elements from the longer cut had been used as road fill during the construction of a motorway. The only surviving elements they had were visibly inferior to the film elements from the theatrical cut, i.e., you could "see with your own eyes" what was and what wasn't original.
Old 07-26-13, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 882 Likes on 712 Posts

It appears that this announcement just means an original negative (35 mm?) source of the extended cut has been found. It probably means no new footage, but a much-improved quality release of that extended cut. But, the news is still rather obfuscated and unclear.

Even, so I'll certainly want to add this Blu to my collection, and the news is wonderful to me.
Old 07-26-13, 05:00 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The remake was good enough for me, I think I will pass on this one.
Quoting for future blackmail purposes.
Old 07-26-13, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What changes will be instituted in this new cut? Are the others going to be included on the discs as well?
Old 07-26-13, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
What changes will be instituted in this new cut? Are the others going to be included on the discs as well?
It's unclear at this point. George Lucas will have final say.
Old 07-26-13, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/63382

Word is, this new version is based on Hardy's original cut of the film (which was later pared down for its initial run). The theatrical version was originally screened as part of a double bill and runs 88 minutes. Hardy's version ran 102 minutes, so we're looking at quite a bit of new footage.

The negatives were originally stored at Shepperton Studios, but have long since disappeared. Until now. Earlier this year, Studio Canal embarked on a world-wide search for any surviving footage. I'm excited to hear that their efforts have paid off.
The extended edition DVD I have lists it as 99 minutes, so it looks like this might be three minutes longer. Or that difference could be a PAL/NTSC thing, or something. We'll have to wait and see.

I wouldn't think they'd be making such a big deal about this if it was just the same stuff we've already seen in better quality.
Old 07-26-13, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zyzzle
It appears that this announcement just means an original negative (35 mm?) source of the extended cut has been found.
Hardy says "print" in the announcement, which means it isn't a negative. They must have found an early print, or at least one that was in good condition. But not the original negative.
Old 07-27-13, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.moviemail.com/blog/news/1...l-print-found/

And, from the facebook page:

To all The Wicker Man fans, you’ll be very pleased to know the Blu-ray will include the UK theatrical cut, The Directors Cut (with seamless branching into extra scenes) and of course The Final Cut, plus lots more - now there's a reason to celebrate! Keep following The Wicker Man for more details
Even though sadly, we were unable to locate the original negative – We are very excited to be able to present to you a version of the film that is true to Robins Hardy’s original vision and that isn't marred by inconsistencies, most importantly in respect to the quality of sound and image from scene to scene. This is the first proper HD restoration there has been, and this will allow us to release the longest cut ever before seen in UK cinemas! We’d say that deserves a high five!
Hello Wicker Man fans, just to let you know that The Final Cut will be available on both DVD and Blu-ray through Amazon, we will let you know when it is ready for pre-order, which will be very soon! We want to give you more information on the release including the extras, which will be announced shortly. Keep following The Wicker Man for more details!
Still not completely clear on what they have, though the blu-ray will include three different cuts. It would be nice if they would confirm what the "final cut" entails so we don't get our hopes up only to find out they've just located a better quality version of the longer cut previously released to DVD. We've already been cock-teased enough with the missing "Doctor Who" episodes in recent weeks.
Old 07-27-13, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 882 Likes on 712 Posts

Why further confuse the issue by promising "three different cuts"? Just give us what you've got, all that you've got, in glorious 1080p. Advertise the true running time -- be it 99 minutes, 102 minutes, or some other running time.

This "final cut" business is just marketing copy gobbledegook.
Old 07-27-13, 08:30 PM

What's wrong with including three different cuts? I love having multiple versions.
Old 07-27-13, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2013/07/23/wick...is-it-exactly/

Long story short, there's nothing we haven't seen before. The print that was found is just the longer cut that already exists in low quality.

The "Final Cut" will be a re-edit of the "long version" that will omit the opening sequence of Howie on mainland Scotland before he arrives at Summerisle.
Old 07-28-13, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Silly question perhaps but does anybody know if this is going to be region free or not?
Old 07-28-13, 05:07 PM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kedrix
Silly question perhaps but does anybody know if this is going to be region free or not?
I have a few region free Studio Canal discs from the UK, so there is a chance...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.