DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Hannibal Season 1 -- September 24th (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/612183-hannibal-season-1-september-24th.html)

DJariya 07-20-13 12:56 PM

Hannibal Season 1 -- September 24th

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...eason-one.html

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/se...1374378144.jpg

Extras on both releases will include:
• Audio commentaries on select episodes with cast and crew, including Bryan Fuller, David Slade, Hugh Dancy and more.
• Hannibal Reborn featurette
• A Taste for Killing featurette
• The FX of Murder featurette
• A Symphony for the Slaughter featurette
• Gag Reel
• Deleted Scenes
• Pilot Episode Storyboards

It will also include the missing episode "Ceuf" that never aired on NBC

DJariya 07-20-13 12:59 PM

Re: Hannibal Season 1 -- September 24th

For those of you who never gave this a shot thinking it would be cancelled, it did get renewed and will return in 2014. Highly recommend it.

Also, Bryan Fuller and company were at Comic Con promoting season 2.

E Unit 07-20-13 01:32 PM

I'm in for this. I was thoroughly surprised how good - and graphic - this show was.

Torchur317 07-20-13 02:55 PM

Never seen this but I've been curious about it....

E_v_i_l 07-20-13 09:16 PM

Really good show.

LPMA 07-20-13 09:42 PM

The show is really good, and worth it for the visuals alone (when they don't go overboard with the gore).

Interesting tidbit: MSRP is a penny lower for the blu-ray release than for the DVD.

bobert3 07-20-13 10:13 PM

I'll be buying this, it is a very good show. Any idea why the one episode never aired on NBC?

E_v_i_l 07-20-13 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by bobert3 (Post 11772030)
I'll be buying this, it is a very good show. Any idea why the one episode never aired on NBC?

Looks like it was due to it's content in light of recent events:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/30/ha...pisode-itunes/

DJariya 07-21-13 12:55 AM

Reposted the BD artwork in my OP.

DJariya 07-21-13 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Torchur317 (Post 11771721)
Never seen this but I've been curious about it....

It's really good. If you're a fan of the previous Hannibal Lecter incarnations, then I highly recommend this. It's one of the best book to TV adaptations. Probably pretty damn close to an R-rated series on network TV.

islandclaws 07-21-13 01:25 AM

I enjoy the characters and overall arc of the show, but the killer-of-the-week episodes are full of formulaic network cliches. Even worse, sometimes they're almost treated as an after thought to the show's true plotline involving Will and Hannibal.

That issue aside, I did like the season and I'd certainly grab this set for a good price to watch it all in one go.

LPMA 07-21-13 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by islandclaws (Post 11772174)
I enjoy the characters and overall arc of the show, but the killer-of-the-week episodes are full of formulaic network cliches. Even worse, sometimes they're almost treated as an after thought to the show's true plotline involving Will and Hannibal.

That issue aside, I did like the season and I'd certainly grab this set for a good price to watch it all in one go.

See, that's exactly what I liked about it, that the killer-of-the-week arc wasn't overbearing and they still gave the main storyline plenty of room to breathe.

islandclaws 07-21-13 01:54 PM

But those plotlines are so underdeveloped that I'd rather just do away with them entirely. Stick with tracking Hobbs for longer than episode one, keep the rest of the season as is but jettison the weekly killers (there really is an alarming number of active serial killers with artistic and distinct MOs around town) and have them be Hannibal's kills that Graham is obsessing over.

PhantomStranger 07-21-13 02:31 PM

This show really pushed the boundaries of what is acceptable on network television. Its season-long arc is very good, hurt only by the fact that it is an ongoing series which likely affected the ultimate resolution.

LPMA 07-21-13 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 11772549)
This show really pushed the boundaries of what is acceptable on network television. Its season-long arc is very good, hurt only by the fact that it is an ongoing series which likely affected the ultimate resolution.

I haven't read the books but I've heard they don't stray too far from them. Fuller, the showrunner, has also stated he has a 7 season plan for the show. It's also a very strong seller to broadcasters overseas, based on the Hannibal name alone, meaning it has a good shot at surviving despite low ratings in the US.

Boba Fett 07-21-13 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 11772549)

Yeah, I remember hearing how gruesome the new "Evil Dead" was and was shocked that what I saw on this show topped it in many categories.

mdc3000 07-22-13 09:19 AM

Day one purchase for me - I haven't been this riveted and excited by a new show since Breaking Bad and Homeland. I am definitely looking forward to watching the whole season again in a massive binge. Season 2 can't get here soon enough.

Josh Z 07-23-13 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by bobert3 (Post 11772030)

Reportedly, it had a storyline to do with the death of a child, and it was scheduled to air soon after the Boston Marathon bombing, where a little kid died. Other than that tenuous connection, there was no correlation. The episode NBC aired in its place was equally graphic, but didn't involve children.

Josh Z 07-23-13 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by LPMA (Post 11772888)
I haven't read the books but I've heard they don't stray too far from them.

The series takes place before the events of the first Lecter book (Red Dragon). Its basic premise takes a lot of liberties with the source material. In Red Dragon, we're told that Will Graham only met Lecter twice and pretty much immediately knew that something was "off" about him. The show has greatly expanded and complicated their relationship.

That said, it's much truer to Thomas Harris' original conception of Hannibal Lecter than, really, any of the movies have been.

Supermallet 07-23-13 06:35 PM

I pre-ordered this the moment it popped up on Amazon. My favorite new show of this TV season. Even if it hadn't been picked up for season two (and thankfully it was), it would have been worth owning.

mattysemo247 02-24-14 11:49 AM

Thought this might be worth bumping for those that have never seen the series and didn't pick up the blu ray release. Season 1 HD is now free for Prime members on instant video streaming.

OldBoy 02-24-14 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 12023584)
Thought this might be worth bumping for those that have never seen the series and didn't pick up the blu ray release. Season 1 HD is now free for Prime members on instant video streaming.

just curious, but does it include that episode that never aired on tv? not sure why or what it was called...

DJariya 02-24-14 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 12024021)
just curious, but does it include that episode that never aired on tv? not sure why or what it was called...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&redirect=true

Yes. It was episode 4 "Ceuf"

OldBoy 02-24-14 04:26 PM

thanks D!