Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Friday The 13th BR Box Set in the works.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Friday The 13th BR Box Set in the works.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-13, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Re: Friday The 13th BR Box Set in the works.

Part 3 WAS put out in field-sequential 3D in Japan, on the VHD videodisc format which was only available over there. The quality of field-sequential wasn't great (and doesn't work on modern HDTVs), but the separation was pretty good and at least it kept the colors right. Say what you want, but a true 3D Blu-Ray release would have helped the format, and there's simply no reason to defend an outdated anaglyph release instead.
Old 06-28-13, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Part 3 WAS put out in field-sequential 3D in Japan, on the VHD videodisc format which was only available over there. The quality of field-sequential wasn't great (and doesn't work on modern HDTVs), but the separation was pretty good and at least it kept the colors right. Say what you want, but a true 3D Blu-Ray release would have helped the format, and there's simply no reason to defend an outdated anaglyph release instead.
I want all the F13 movies on Blu-ray, so I suppose that's one reason to defend it... Unless you're just talking about Part 3 in particular.
Old 06-28-13, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well you're not getting the third film the way it was intended to be seen and released. You're getting a gimped version that uses a primitive 3D method on a format that is fully capable of faithfully an accurately presenting the original 3D experience.
Old 06-28-13, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Well you're not getting the third film the way it was intended to be seen and released. You're getting a gimped version that uses a primitive 3D method on a format that is fully capable of faithfully an accurately presenting the original 3D experience.
True, but the fact is, it's a catalogue title (purchased from another studio), and Warner just isn't going to put the effort to do it properly. If that's a make or break, then fine, but for me, having the series on Blu-ray is good enough (if the price is right).
Old 06-28-13, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Not only is it a title that is Warner is only temporarily distributing for Paramount the film was already released once before by Paramount. I think it's pretty clear that the set will include the existing disc of Friday the 13th Part 3 (and Parts 1 and 2 for that matter). I can't say that I'm that surprised by the fact that they aren't putting more money into it and for something like 3D which has a niche audience as is it's really not surprising.
Old 06-30-13, 01:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At least we're getting the existing 3D version. The Nightmare on Elm Street set completely dropped the option of the 3D ending of Freddy's Dead.
Old 07-02-13, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wahlers
At least we're getting the existing 3D version. The Nightmare on Elm Street set completely dropped the option of the 3D ending of Freddy's Dead.
Bastards! I watch the Blu of Freddy's Dead up to the point when Maggie puts on her glasses; then I change inputs on my TV to where my DVD player is queued up to the 3D sequence and watch from there.
Old 07-08-13, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll probably pick up this set to finally have them all, but it's disappointing that it just doesn't seem like there's ever going to be a definitive release of these movies.
Old 07-08-13, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Okay, I'm hesitant to order this set now. I just assessed my F13 collection. This is what I own (pretty much all DVD)

From Crystal Lake to Manhattan Box set with the special Best Buy bonus disc

All of the Paramount Deluxe edition DVDs for Parts 1-8

Jason goes to Hell Unrated DVD

Jason X

Freddy vs. Jason 2-disc special edition DVD

Friday the 13th (2009) on BD

His Name was Jason DVD documentary from Anchor Bay

Is there really any compelling reason for me to upgrade other than the HD aspect? I checked the specs from the press release and it seems like extras-wise, this set pretty much has the same extras and in some instances some extras were omitted from the ones I own. I don't think I really want to double/triple dip on these movies.

All I really need is the Crystal Lake Memories BD that's coming out in the Fall.
Old 07-08-13, 09:01 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

I have most of the F13 movies on DVD, but I like to upgrade from time to time and this will be no exception if the price is right.
Old 07-08-13, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll upgrade for the simple fact that it'll take up less space on my shelf. Everything else is just a bonus.
Old 07-30-13, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As per another thread, I'm converting all of my DVDs that are available through VUDU's disc-to-digital program into 1080P HD (when available, it's 50% off until the end of August). Despite the listing on Vudu mentioning the fact that it's rated R, Jason Goes to Hell is indeed uncut in 1080P.

That gives me hope that the Blu-ray will be uncut as well despite the press material saying otherwise.
Old 09-04-13, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

Someone in the forum over at bluray.com claims to have the set already and says JGTH is the R rated cut. This doesnt bother me, I will just hold on to the dvd, but the original is still the uncut version. I have never seen 5-8 so I have been renting them off of the Playstation network since I wont be able to buy the new set for a while, but why is No. 5 hated so much? I really liked it even if it did come across as very sleazy.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 09-04-13 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-04-13, 09:07 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

5 is hated because it isn't Jason.
Old 09-04-13, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Someone in the forum over at bluray.com claims to have the set already and says JGTH is the R rated cut. This doesnt bother me, I will just hold on the dvd, but the original is still the uncut version. I have been renting these movies off of the Playstation net work since I wont be able to buy the new set for a while, but why is No. 5 hated so much? I really liked it even if it did come across as very sleazy.
what about the Friday remake? Killer cut or R...

NM. remake is killer cut...
Old 09-04-13, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^^True, but as a stand alone slasher movie its pretty decent, and was very funny as well. The quotable rednecks, and the chick who was singing to the guy taking a dump in the outhouse was hilarious.
Old 09-04-13, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Friday the 13th (2009) same disc as before, if you go over to the bluray.com forum they are going nuts over there with all the questions to the guy who has the set.
Old 09-04-13, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Even though JGTH blows, it was also the first F13th I saw in theaters, so I have a little soft spot for it. It's a bummer it isn't unrated since otherwise I'd be perfectly happy with this set.
Old 09-04-13, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

I just called WBshop to cancel my order and the woman who answered the phone said that several customers have called the last few days to also have theirs cancelled.
Old 09-04-13, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like part as much as any of the first 6 movies. it's gloriously weird and so different from the others in tone that it works for me.

it also spawned this: David Lynch's Friday the 13th
Old 09-04-13, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I just called WBshop to cancel my order and the woman who answered the phone said that several customers have called the last few days to also have theirs cancelled.
why did you cancel?
Old 09-04-13, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy
why did you cancel?
Not really a fan of the series so I couldn't justify the price right now being the main reason. It does suck about Jason Goes To Hell not being uncut but that wasn't the main reason. I also hate the packaging. I kept having to return the Universal Monsters box set because the middle two movies had so much glue on them that they actually ripped the sleeve when pulling them out. Don't feel like going through that shit again. I will probably get it when and if it drops in price and there aren't reports of a glue issue.
Old 09-04-13, 06:10 PM

Not really a fan of the series so I couldn't justify the price right now being the main reason. It does suck about Jason Goes To Hell not being uncut but that wasn't the main reason. I also hate the packaging. I kept having to return the Universal Monsters box set because the middle two movies had so much glue on them that they actually ripped the sleeve when pulling them out. Don't feel like going through that shit again. I will probably get it when and if it drops in price and there aren't reports of a glue issue.
ah. gotcha. i'm a blu-ray whore so i gotta get this next Friday...
Old 09-04-13, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy
ah. gotcha. i'm a blu-ray whore so i gotta get this next Friday...
I know I will end up caving right before Halloween and get it. Right now I have so much new stuff I need to work through anyways. The Nightmare On Elm Street Collection should be here tomorrow.
Old 09-04-13, 06:16 PM

I know I will end up caving right before Halloween and get it. Right now I have so much new stuff I need to work through anyways. The Nightmare On Elm Street Collection should be here tomorrow.
i actually drove down to Jersey in pouring rain to get this, nearly 1.5 hours from my house. got one. yay! but then saw it later on that week or next at my local one. ha! on me...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.