Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Bruce Lee: The Legacy Collection from Shout! Factory

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Bruce Lee: The Legacy Collection from Shout! Factory

Old 10-18-13, 09:44 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Bruce Lee: The Legacy Collection from Shout! Factory

Groupon has this set for $59.99 plus tax for the next 9 days. Thanks to Dullboy for making me a little bit poorer.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-shout-factory-1
Old 10-18-13, 10:09 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh, shit. Still... I dunno.
Old 10-18-13, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided to bite. 50% is a darn good discount, probably as good as we'd get with a Black Friday deal. At least it's a nice way to space out some of my bigger purchases this year.
Old 10-18-13, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

This is a really good deal. Very tempting.

For those that haven't been following the drama over this release elsewhere, here's the lastest (as far as I know):

-Shout originally issued the set with upscaled sd transfers on the blu-rays. Two of the extras discs were mislabled as well.

-People started complaining when the advance/review copies went out. Shout delayed the set, but only to correct the mislabled extras discs. They insisted that the blu-rays were not upscales despite overwhelming evidence that they were.

-Shout delayed the set again and finally acknowledged that Fortune Star (the HK company that owns the license) gave them the wrong transfers. This is nothing new with Fortune Star, but people were still annoyed that it took Shout so long to admit the mistake.

-Advance/review copies of the fixed sets have been sent out and while the blu-rays now contain genuine hd transfers, the extensive color correction that Shout had promised (and delivered on the upscaled versions) is nowhere to be found. The colors are still slightly improved compared to the HK releases, but speculation is that it's due to Shout mastering their discs in a different color space.

The bottom line is that this release has been a major cluster 'f' for Shout, and I can't even imagine how much money they've lost on it. While the set is not quite what it could have been if it had been done right from the beginning (I'm mostly speaking of the color correction, but apparently the video compression on the discs is not as good as other releases), they are still imo the best versions of these films available. The various soundtrack options (original mono, rare dubs) puts this release well above the HK versions which only have the horrifying fortune star remixes.
Old 10-18-13, 12:24 PM
Banned by request

That's why the Groupon deal is worth it IMO. Best price we may see on it for quite a while, and it does state free returns. So if we get the get a set with the gimp transfers, we can get our money back and not have to pay to return it.
Old 10-18-13, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Knowing that Shout went back and got actual HD transfers (which I'm disappointed that they aren't color corrected, but I can imagine that they wanted to get this fiasco fixed as quickly as possible), combined with the Groupon deal is what made me go ahead and bite.
Old 10-18-13, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you do decide to buy this the new UPC label for the corrected set is 826663145960. The old UPC label is 2666313946. On some cases the new label was pasted right over the old one but the discs inside were replaced with the corrected versions. This was discussed over on the blu-ray.com forum.
Old 10-18-13, 07:35 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by mrhan
If you do decide to buy this the new UPC label for the corrected set is 826663145960. The old UPC label is 2666313946. On some cases the new label was pasted right over the old one but the discs inside were replaced with the corrected versions. This was discussed over on the blu-ray.com forum.
Cool, thanks for the heads up. Now the gamble begins...
Old 10-18-13, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Cool, thanks for the heads up. Now the gamble begins...
There was confirmation at Blu-ray.com the set Groupon is selling is the revised version.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...4&postcount=36
Old 10-19-13, 08:44 AM

There was confirmation at Blu-ray.com the set Groupon is selling is the revised version.

Definitely good know. It was only after I'd submitted the order a chill went down my spine with the thought "Wait, is this just a way to burn off the older uncorrected sets?"
Old 10-25-13, 03:11 PM
Banned by request

Got mine in today, and with the correct UPC.

Old 10-25-13, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
God, I miss the Asian DVD Guide

Originally Posted by rocket1312
This is a really good deal. Very tempting.

For those that haven't been following the drama over this release elsewhere, here's the lastest (as far as I know):

-Shout originally issued the set with upscaled sd transfers on the blu-rays. Two of the extras discs were mislabled as well.
That was as far as I heard.

-People started complaining when the advance/review copies went out. Shout delayed the set, but only to correct the mislabled extras discs. They insisted that the blu-rays were not upscales despite overwhelming evidence that they were.
Given how well Shout have treated some cult properties, that is kind of uncharacteristic of them.

-Shout delayed the set again and finally acknowledged that Fortune Star (the HK company that owns the license) gave them the wrong transfers. This is nothing new with Fortune Star, but people were still annoyed that it took Shout so long to admit the mistake.
It's amazing how many classic HK films Fortune Star owns and how easy things should (Mono and good PQ), and how often they fuck them up.

-Advance/review copies of the fixed sets have been sent out and while the blu-rays now contain genuine hd transfers, the extensive color correction that Shout had promised (and delivered on the upscaled versions) is nowhere to be found. The colors are still slightly improved compared to the HK releases, but speculation is that it's due to Shout mastering their discs in a different color space.
This sounds like it's straight up their own fault then.

The bottom line is that this release has been a major cluster 'f' for Shout, and I can't even imagine how much money they've lost on it.
Weren't there major mistakes on their Police Story releases as well? This wouldn't be the first HK release they've botched.

While the set is not quite what it could have been if it had been done right from the beginning (I'm mostly speaking of the color correction, but apparently the video compression on the discs is not as good as other releases), they are still imo the best versions of these films available. The various soundtrack options (original mono, rare dubs) puts this release well above the HK versions which only have the horrifying fortune star remixes.
I've never understood why including mono soundtracks is so fucking hard, it's probably a hell of a lot less work than remixing them. If I remember correctly, even the high profile release of The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly Blu-Ray messed that up?

So if you're ordering from Amazon or an online retailer, you're kind of playing roulette?
Old 11-01-13, 07:00 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got mine but it had the old UPC. It appears that somebody had ripped a sticker off the top the old UPC. So I returned the set. I just hope whoever ripped the sticker off wasn't the new UPC

Does anyone know if Amazon is selling the correct versions?
Old 11-06-13, 11:40 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can anyone confirm if amazon.com is selling the corrected sets?
Old 11-06-13, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't recieved mine from the Groupon deal yet but with the recent screw up with the missing Mandarin track on the FoF BD I went ahead and emailed Shout that I got the defective disc. With all the BS that is happening with this set I figured I might as well just in case I do get the bad disc. They sent me back an email that said I will recieve the replacement in 3 weeks.
Old 11-07-13, 02:35 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From my understanding Bruce Lee spoke Cantonese, but they dubbed all his films. Its too bad they didn't use his real voice.
Old 11-07-13, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Fok
From my understanding Bruce Lee spoke Cantonese, but they dubbed all his films. Its too bad they didn't use his real voice.
He did dub a couple of characters in his movies but not his and they were for all the English dubs. The only way to hear his real voice for characters he played is in Green Hornet, Marlowe, ETD and the various TV guest appearances he did in the U.S. Also, at the time his HK films were made Mandarin was used for most productions.
Old 11-27-13, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 582 Likes on 432 Posts

Just curious if anyone else has received cancelation notices from Groupon on this set? I know of three people — myself included — who received rather groveling cancelation/apology notices because Groupon apparently couldn't "obtain enough inventory" to fulfill their orders. Considering issues noted by another poster above about possibly receiving the older set, maybe it's a good thing. Or perhaps they got too many sent back? Still, not something I've run into with Groupon orders in the past, considering they allow their clients (Shout in this case?) to set caps on how many "deals" can be sold before they even go live.
Old 11-27-13, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I also received a cancellation/refund email about 15 minutes ago.
Old 12-01-13, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 582 Likes on 432 Posts

Perhaps I spoke too soon? I went to pick up some parcels in the states yesterday and the Groupon Bruce Lee set was among them. Not exactly sure why they issued a refund, but I suppose I won't complain.
Old 12-01-13, 09:18 AM

Anyone who order this set via Groupon receive or have any contact from Shout about the Fist of Fury replacement discs? I've sent two messages to Shout about it but haven't heard anything. I figure I'll give them a call on Monday.

Admittedly, it's not a huge make or break for the disc (aside from helping me practice my Mandarin listening), but if they're offering the discs gratis and I'm eligible, I'd like to get one.
Old 12-01-13, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Forrester
Anyone who order this set via Groupon receive or have any contact from Shout about the Fist of Fury replacement discs? I've sent two messages to Shout about it but haven't heard anything. I figure I'll give them a call on Monday.

Admittedly, it's not a huge make or break for the disc (aside from helping me practice my Mandarin listening), but if they're offering the discs gratis and I'm eligible, I'd like to get one.
I ordered and received the set from Groupon about 3 weeks ago, and the replacement disc 2 weeks ago (which does have the Mandarin track). It only took 3 days from the time I asked for the disc from Shout, to the time it showed up in my box. On the other hand, it took Groupon 2 weeks to ship the order after they charged my card.
Old 12-01-13, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by bruceames
I ordered and received the set from Groupon about 3 weeks ago, and the replacement disc 2 weeks ago (which does have the Mandarin track).
Hmm, good to know I'm at least eligible! I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.

Thanks for the info!
Old 12-01-13, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Fok
Interestingly, in the cantonese tracks, Bruce dubbed the black guy in Way of the Dragon and the Russian in Fist of Fury.

Any reasons why he wasn't allowed to dub himself?
Old 12-02-13, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Interestingly, in the cantonese tracks, Bruce dubbed the black guy in Way of the Dragon and the Russian in Fist of Fury.

Any reasons why he wasn't allowed to dub himself?
There were no Cantonese tracks when he was alive. They were made in the late 70's. The english dubs he did where lifted from the Mandarin tracks and his yells where taken from ETD. I've been trying to find out for years why he didn't dub the Mandarin tracks and the only explanation I found was that since he didn't speak Mandarin they just got someone else. Besides, he would have had to convey feeling along with reciting the lines which I think would have taken more time and they wanted to release sooner than later. The HK movie production times are really short and it shows in the final production. They cranked out movies really, really fast back then and most of them were shit.

He did know the guy who voiced the English dub but can't find a reason why he didn't do those himself.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.