Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Bruce Lee: The Legacy Collection from Shout! Factory

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Bruce Lee: The Legacy Collection from Shout! Factory

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-13, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Bruce Lee: The Legacy Collection from Shout! Factory

Originally Posted by rocket1312
For those who maybe haven't been following this on Blu-ray.com, it appears we've got another compromised release. Shout Factory apparently did everything right except make sure that Fortune Star sent them the real HD transfers and not upscales. Everywhere else in the world the Bruce Lee films have had genuine HD transfers (At least the first 3. GOD has always been an upscale.), thus making them the exception to Fortune Star's rule, but in this instance someone dropped the ball. Of course Shout Factory's only response is to shrug their shoulders and claim that they just used whatever Fortune Star gave them. The sad thing is, if this had been a dvd release, it would have been close to, if not perfect. Shout color corrected the transfers, tracked down all of the appropriate soundtracks, and re-did the subtitles. I'm sure they put a lot of hard work into this release, but it's always something with these movies. It's maddening being a HK movie fan. We're what, 7 years into the life of Blu-Ray, and I can count the number of classic HK martial arts movies released properly on one hand.
You count off the proper DVD releases on the other. Being an HK cinema fan is almost as frustrating as being a fan of OOT Star Wars. To say nothing of Drunken Master II. One of these days, I'll have to buy some software and start jigsawing my own releases together. You know, even my father knows who Bruce Lee is, this as high-profile a release as there's ever likely to be among martial arts movies, so if this can't get a proper releases, I can't imagine what can .

...and that's about it. Everything else is compromised in some way or another whether it be bad pal conversion, upscales, no original language tracks, crappy remixed soundtracks, cut versions, etc. Some people think the Dragon Dynasty releases of Fist of Legend and Hard Boiled are ok, but both feature "dub-titles" and sub-par transfers. I've heard that the UK Fist of Legend is preferable to the US one at least with regards to the subs. Enter the Dragon also has it's two WB releases, each with their own issues, but I consider that more of an American film anyway.
On a tangential note, is the German DVD release of Fist of Legend really the uncut version with a proper transfer and English subs?

As far as non-US releases go, there's a French release of 36th Chamber of Shaolin that's supposed to be good (but no English subs), and I think there's a couple of Japanese Jackie Chan releases that might be ok (but crazy expensive and probably not English friendly.
HK Video's releases are supposed to be excellent, but they have no English subs and even lock the French subtitles on them.

Finally, the HK Bruce Lee releases (BB, FoF, WotD) are at least true HD, but only contain the horrible 5.1 remixed soundtracks.
Have the BL films ever gotten released with the original mono tracks?

Originally Posted by My Other Self
Shout! titles are pricy, but unfortunately they're one of the few remaining nichle labels that puts out decent SEs nowadays.
How is it "unfortunate" that they put out good SEs? It sucks that they overprice them, but when the product is good, I'll pay.

Originally Posted by mrhan
There is a rumor that Fred Weintraub (producer of ETD) owns this version of the film. Bruce either sent it to him to L.A. or he received it when he went to visit Bruce on the set of G.o.D.
Is he Jerry's brother of Ocean's Eleven fame? Like I said, it's my understanding that rumors about that legendary scene have circulated for years.
Old 07-27-13, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
How is it "unfortunate" that they put out good SEs? It sucks that they overprice them, but when the product is good, I'll pay.
How about reading what I wrote before you try an attempt to correct it?

It's unfortunate that they're one of the only companies still around putting out Special Editions. Or, if you need me to dumb it down for you, it sucks other companies don't put the effort in to releases that they do.

Get your panties out of the bunch they're wrapped up in.
Old 07-27-13, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by My Other Self
How about reading what I wrote before you try an attempt to correct it?

It's unfortunate that they're one of the only companies still around putting out Special Editions. Or, if you need me to dumb it down for you, it sucks other companies don't put the effort in to releases that they do.

Get your panties out of the bunch they're wrapped up in.
I wasn't upset or anything, I just misinterpreted where the emphasis of the "unfortunately" was directed. Easy there man , no disrespect meant.
Old 07-27-13, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wasn't upset or anything, I just misinterpreted where the emphasis of the "unfortunately" was directed. Easy there man , no disrespect meant.
I feel like a dick now. Sorry for being snarky.

Old 07-27-13, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Which films have good blu-ray releases? As far as "classic HK" (I'd define that as 70's through mid 90's) releases in the US go, I'd say the good releases are limited to the following:

Media Blasters/Tokyo Shock
Deadly Duo
Heroes Two
Five Element Ninjas
(There's an argument amongst some fans that this one should have the Cantonese track instead of Mandarin, but I'm no expert.)

Dragon Dynasty
Five Deadly Venoms (Some people complain about the subtitle translation, but other than the bizarre reference to the "Snake Spirit dude," I don't think they're horrible.)

...and that's about it.
You forgot the out-of-print and expensive Opium and the Kung Fu Master BD. I own it but don't think it is one of the better ones in terms of entertainment value.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 07-28-13 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-31-13, 01:09 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shame we're not getting the real HD versions. At least the special features look somewhat decent. I have these films on DVD that were remastered (way better than the fox versions), I wonder how the quality of this new release will stand up to the DVDs.
Old 08-01-13, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

After reading the reviews, I cancelled my pre-order. I'm going to order the HK release even with the remix audio since at least they have it in proper HD versions.
Old 08-01-13, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Fok
Shame we're not getting the real HD versions. At least the special features look somewhat decent. I have these films on DVD that were remastered (way better than the fox versions), I wonder how the quality of this new release will stand up to the DVDs.
Which DVD versions were better than the Fox ones? I thought that they were the only releases with the original mono tracks?
Old 08-01-13, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I'm bummed to hear that these Blu-Rays didn't turn out 100% like we all were hoping

I'll hold onto my DVD set that Fox put out in 2005 until proper Blu-Rays come out.
Old 08-01-13, 05:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I'm bummed to hear that these Blu-Rays didn't turn out 100% like we all were hoping

I'll hold onto my DVD set that Fox put out in 2005 until proper Blu-Rays come out.
Really wanted to pick these up as i just got into Bruce lee,Sad to see these Poor transfers.
Old 08-02-13, 02:20 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Which DVD versions were better than the Fox ones? I thought that they were the only releases with the original mono tracks?
There was another set release a few years later with improved picture and 5.1 tracks.

http://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Ultimate-Collection-Dragon-Death/dp/B000A9QK9Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375471197&sr=8-2&keywords=bruce+lee+dvd
Old 08-02-13, 03:08 PM
Cool New Member

This is now on Shout's Website...

PLEASE NOTE: The release date on this set has been moved to 9/17/13 due to a production delay.
Old 08-02-13, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fok
That set went as low as $10 @ walmart and it was in one of those really thin boxsets. I can't believe the price went up since going OOP. I first bought that set in 2005. The original boxset looked the best, though. It had this really cool black fold out but the discs themselves were horrible. They were ported over from the LDs released in the early 90's.
Old 08-06-13, 12:12 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mrhan
That set went as low as $10 @ walmart and it was in one of those really thin boxsets. I can't believe the price went up since going OOP. I first bought that set in 2005. The original boxset looked the best, though. It had this really cool black fold out but the discs themselves were horrible. They were ported over from the LDs released in the early 90's.
Any reason why this set would go up in price? Especially now with the Shout version around the corner?
Old 08-06-13, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fok
Any reason why this set would go up in price? Especially now with the Shout version around the corner?
No reason other than it being out of print and greedy sellers are attempting to squeeze as much money out of selling it as possible. But that doesn't mean it regularly sells for inflated prices.

I've seen the regular box set with thin cases of the Bruce Lee: Ultimate Collection in used condition at numerous used book/media shops or thrift stores for $19 or less. In fact, I almost bought it yesterday for $5.99, but The Big Boss dvd was scratched to hell and covered in finger prints, while the other discs were mint. So I decided to hold off and see what happens with the Shout release, since it's being delayed for release. So hopefully they'll get true HD transfers, but that's just a guess so far.

So don't trust Ebay or Amazon prices greedy sellers are asking for. It doesn't mean they've actually sold for that amount or are worth those amounts. You can always find better more reasonable deals if you're patient and keep looking.
Old 08-06-13, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

Word on the street is that Shout is only delaying the release so that they can fix the mislabled extras discs. They're continuing to insist that Fortune Star gave them the proper transfers. Sigh.
Old 08-06-13, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Word on the street is that Shout is only delaying the release so that they can fix the mislabled extras discs. They're continuing to insist that Fortune Star gave them the proper transfers. Sigh.
That's a shame, since I was really looking forward to this set, and mislabeled discs are no big deal in my opinion. I mean even The Godfather trilogy restored released had mislabeled bonus features discs and I'm not sure if those were ever corrected.
Old 08-06-13, 12:54 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can anyone help and tell me if this is the HK version with the proper HD transfers? And will it work in North America?

http://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Legendary-Collection-Blu-ray-Region/dp/B0049SB3ZU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=JVHE6Z20J2GH&coliid=I2OGJFBLUIM96I
Old 08-06-13, 01:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

That set is Region A, so it will work on North American blu ray players. However I'm not sure about the HD transfers on this set.
Old 08-06-13, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have that set and the transfers, except for GoD, are all HD. It is a very nice set. It doesn't have the special features that Shout! has, although there are some, but it has the movies in HD and they look good.
Old 08-06-13, 03:51 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by godzilla rules
I have that set and the transfers, except for GoD, are all HD. It is a very nice set. It doesn't have the special features that Shout! has, although there are some, but it has the movies in HD and they look good.
So maybe I'll have to buy both, this one and the Shout ones just to get everything.....fuck!
Old 08-06-13, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by godzilla rules
The HK versions also only contain the craptacular re-mixed soundtracks. Some people aren't bothered by that sort of thing, but I can't stand them. One of the biggest selling points with this Shout box was that they took the time to track down all of the original mono soundtracks. They also color corrected the transfers which are overly pink on the HK set. Shout was *this* close to getting this thing perfect...
Old 08-06-13, 05:30 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Okay now I'm on the fence again. Maybe I'll just get the shout versions.
Old 08-06-13, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Enterprising pirates will likely take the mono soundtracks from the Shout Box and combine them with the superior transfers from Hong Kong. Check your favorite bittorrent sites in the coming weeks.
Old 08-06-13, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I have that set also that Fok mentioned. It's a really nice set. Bought for around $85 back in February on a trip to Hong Kong

Also, there is no English audio on Enter the Dragon, it's only Cantonese and Mandarin dubs.

There are 2 bonus documentaries included, but both are on Region 3 DVD.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.