Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Could Batman TAS Ever Be Released on Blu Ray?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Could Batman TAS Ever Be Released on Blu Ray?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-14, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Could Batman TAS Ever Be Released on Blu Ray?

Is there a reputable place to get the complete animated series from now? Hesitant to even try ebay with all the fakes that were on there last time I wanted to buy it
Old 01-17-14, 08:31 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad I got the complete set. I'd actually enjoy more in having a full BD set of the Justice League cartoon. That cartoon did so much goodness. They changed so much but made it more awesome at times than the comics. Love the ending of it.
Old 01-17-14, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Music licensing issues or syndicated copies with scenes cut for more commercials?
Clearance issues...there were a ton of famous actors (estate issues) and characters from other TV shows (right of use issues) on the show. I don't know that music would be an issue...I can't remember them using much that wasn't written for the show.
Old 01-17-14, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I don't know that music would be an issue...I can't remember them using much that wasn't written for the show.
The people who wrote the music for the show own it outright. Their permission would be required. Also there were musical guests who performed.
Old 01-29-14, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

So it sounds like Warner is releasing the newest Batman series, Beware the Batman: Season One, Part One. The series is pretty decent despite the fact I don't love the CGI animation style. Not sure what the future of the show is though, it sounded like it was in danger of being cancelled a few months back but not sure if that's changed.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bew...1-Part-1/19407
Old 01-30-14, 10:46 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
So it sounds like Warner is releasing the newest Batman series, Beware the Batman: Season One, Part One. The series is pretty decent despite the fact I don't love the CGI animation style. Not sure what the future of the show is though, it sounded like it was in danger of being cancelled a few months back but not sure if that's changed.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bew...1-Part-1/19407
According to the folks at Toonzone forums the show has been all but cancelled. The writers have moved on to new projects.
Old 01-30-14, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric F
According to the folks at Toonzone forums the show has been all but cancelled. The writers have moved on to new projects.
Hopefully Warner at least releases the remaining episodes of the show. From what I hear there were twenty-six episodes done and eleven of those aired. This set has thirteen episodes total so we're getting two that never aired. The show is really pretty decent if you ask me. Not perfect but I liked it.
Old 01-31-14, 09:03 AM
Banned

We'll be lucky to see the last 2 episodes make it to air. I think you can forget about anything more than that.
Old 01-31-14, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I meant as a DVD/Blu-ray release. Since this release is labeled season one, part one and the other thirteen episodes are done. Seems kind of silly to just not put them out at all even if they aren't aired.
Old 01-31-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I think I'm getting the DVD for review of that Batman show. I wasn't aware of its existence but was curious.
Old 01-31-14, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I think I'm getting the DVD for review of that Batman show. I wasn't aware of its existence but was curious.
If you can get past the animation it's a good show. It still doesn't come close to overtaking Batman: The Animated Series as the best Batman show (or pretty much best overall version of Batman ever really in my honest opinion) but it's solid. I liked that the season was actually tied together by an arc which is something you don't always see in shows like this and also like was mentioned before the show isn't entirely made for a younger audience. It's friendly enough that kids can watch it but it also is a show that an older audience can watch and not feel stupid about. Some things are kind of different in it like for instance Alfred is more of tough guy with an MI-6 background, which is something that the character has had in the past but it's never really been emphasized much at all. Also Gordon and Batman are at odds and haven't developed their friendship/camaraderie yet. The show also uses a lot of lesser known villains which is an okay choice but I'll be honest I think they should have thrown in a couple larger villains throughout the season, but maybe that was going to happen later as the series progressed (which may not happen now).
Old 01-31-14, 11:39 PM
Banned

Beware the Batman is decent but it's nowhere near as good as even Brave and the Bold was. That said, it's sad CN cancelled it so early in it's run. There are no serious animated DC properties on TV for adults now. Stuff like Teen Titans just isn't for me.

I really doubt you'll ever see those other 13 episodes (if they even exist, this is the first I've heard of them). CN/Warner just has nothing invested in the show.
Old 02-03-14, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

They need to bring back JL! Fuck all this shit! I need to see something good and they could have kept that going for years.
Old 02-21-14, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just finished watching Beware the Batman and thought it rocked. The animation is a combination of CGI, real props, and real sets. The level of depth is incredible and I only got the DVD to review. That's a testament right there. I did see that the show may have been canceled or put on hiatus but when you release a product with the whole "Season 1, Part 1" to it then I suspect Part 2 will be on the way. I really had a great time with it. The only thing I'd advise folks to be wary of is the lack of familiar faces. I was only able to recognize 1-2 of them.
Old 02-24-14, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not TAS, but at least we are still getting some decent animated releases

I'm still hoping for this one at some point

Old 02-24-14, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Edit: the Spider-Man stuff should probably go in the Spectacular Spider-Man thread.

I don't believe Spider-Man: The New Animated Series was rendered in 1080p, so a Blu release was unlikely. That was my first thought last night when Spectacular Spider-Man was announced and after some light Googlin I found no evidence that the show has ever aired, streamed or been offered for download in HD. It's an 11-year-old show. Makes sense.

The DVD release is 16x9. I'm gonna watch it again and see how it holds up in SD. It's personally my favorite Spider-Man animated show but I admittedly haven't seen an episode of Spectacular (which I have ordered on Blu blind) or Ultimate.

Last edited by Guru Askew; 02-24-14 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-26-14, 09:35 PM
Banned

Is there any hope, for any release on any format, of the 1990s Spiderman cartoon or the Green Lantern animated series? Even if it was just a best of set.
Old 02-26-14, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The 90's Fox Spidey show should be a lot easier to work out now. When Disney bought the Fox Family network and turned it into ABC Family they got all those 90s Saban-produced Fox Kids shows (The Tick, Power Rangers etc.) plus they somehow even got the rights to all the Marvel animation from the 60s, 70s and 80s.

There was actually a lawsuit between Marvel and Disney where Marvel contested Disney's rights to all that animation, plus I remember reading that Marvel had some sort of clause in their television rights agreement that only a certain percentage of episodes could be released to home video. Keep in mind this was the VHS days where they'd put 2-4 episodes on a themed tape and call it good.

That's why the 5 90s Spider-Man releases from Disney were themed (Green Goblin, Daredevil, Doc Ock and Venom sets were released) even though they were released well after season sets had become common. And when that Disney/Marvel lawsuit ramped up they stopped releasing them.

But here we are all these years later and guess what? Disney now owns Marvel. The problem is, I think they'd be whoring their Spider-Man stuff a lot more if one of their competitors didn't control the film rights.

I almost wonder if they're gonna unceremoniously release it online like that final Gargoyles volume one of these days.
Old 02-27-14, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by HellTrack
Is there any hope, for any release on any format, of the 1990s Spiderman cartoon or the Green Lantern animated series? Even if it was just a best of set.
Green Lantern is a possibility for Blu-ray and the 1990s Spider-Man cartoon is a candidate for DVD. I would guess there is more of a chance we get the Green Lantern BD around the time of the Justice League movie....ummm Superman Vs. Batman. As Guru said, I don't think the current regime at Disney/Marvel wants to pump out too many Spidey products when Sony owns the film franchise.

Beware the Batman is now out on Blu-ray. It's been in my hands a few days but I haven't gotten around to watching it. I wasn't a huge fan of its character designs but the accountants are closely watching how the lesser animated properties sell on Blu-ray to gauge interest in other shows.
Old 02-27-14, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Green Lantern is a possibility for Blu-ray and the 1990s Spider-Man cartoon is a candidate for DVD. I would guess there is more of a chance we get the Green Lantern BD around the time of the Justice League movie....ummm Superman Vs. Batman. As Guru said, I don't think the current regime at Disney/Marvel wants to pump out too many Spidey products when Sony owns the film franchise.

Beware the Batman is now out on Blu-ray. It's been in my hands a few days but I haven't gotten around to watching it. I wasn't a huge fan of its character designs but the accountants are closely watching how the lesser animated properties sell on Blu-ray to gauge interest in other shows.
I got a chance to review Beware the Batman but was sent the DVD set and it was fucking great! I am going to buy the Blu-ray set. It's like $2 more than the DVD, which is a no-brainer.
Old 02-27-14, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm pretty sure the two Green Lantern DVD sets now cover the complete series:

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Lantern-...ntern+animated

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Lantern-...ntern+animated
Old 02-27-14, 01:47 PM
Banned

Really? Cool. I was never that big of a fan of Green Lantern as a character, but the show was pretty good. It's a huge shame it couldn't have gone another season or two. I'd like them to do a complete series of Static Shock, though.
Old 02-27-14, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Really? Cool. I was never that big of a fan of Green Lantern as a character, but the show was pretty good. It's a huge shame it couldn't have gone another season or two. I'd like them to do a complete series of Static Shock, though.
The terrible failure of the movie killed the Green Lantern animated series.
Old 02-27-14, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The terrible failure of the movie killed the Green Lantern animated series.
What killed Green Lantern according to Bruce Timm was: 1. The ratings weren't high enough in the age group Cartoon Network wanted. 2. It was a CGI series and thus was more expensive to make. 3. There was no toy line to support the line and limited merchandising potential(because of unsold movie merchandise).
Old 02-27-14, 05:39 PM
Banned

I thought I saw figures from the show. Huh. Why do you think, aside from Ryan Reynolds, is the reason the movie tanked? For me, anyway, it was the glowing costumes. Sinestro was pretty badass, though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.