Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Could Batman TAS Ever Be Released on Blu Ray?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Could Batman TAS Ever Be Released on Blu Ray?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-13, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Could Batman TAS Ever Be Released on Blu Ray?

Originally Posted by Mike86
Warner hasn't even given us the complete run of Justice League yet (well at least they haven't given us Justice League Unlimited which is essentially seasons three and four of Justice League).
Three and four and five, technically. The thing released on DVD packaged as season one of JLU is actually seasons one and two, and the thing packaged as season two is actually season three. But since season two of JL got a non-anamorphic release, I think the fact that it got a Blu-Ray release if the first season sold as badly as it did is a miracle in and of itself. At least the JLU DVDs are anamorphic. I suppose that'll have to do.

I think at most we'll possibly see the movies from Batman: The Animated Series (Mask of the Phantasm and Sub-Zero) eventually since we already got Mystery of the Batwoman in March.
There were rumors about a Mask of the Phantasm DVD special edition back in the Batman Begins days of Bat-blitzing, I doubt it's very likely now.

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
This.

We've 2 seasons of the JL cartoon on BD. How long that 2nd one take to get?
Like I said, it sounds like that borders on a miracle that it came out at all. At this point, I'd settle for Disney releasing the rest of Gargoyles on DVD, it's driving me up the wall. And that's obviously happening around the time the OOT comes out remastered and Richard Dawkins converts to Christianity.

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
It was fairly popular and still holds up well, unlike a lot of other TV shows and cartoons. Plus it's Batman and plus it WB.

I'm not a comic book nerd and I don't care for the other superhero cartoons but this one was actually good.
It's very, very good, arguably the most respectful treatment of the Batman mythology. I've rewatched it into adulthood and it holds up remarkably well. And Kevin Conroy remains the definitive characterization of Batman. No one else even comes close.

Originally Posted by banthafett
I would love for this to come out. I'm afraid to buy the big box set because of all the bootlegs out there.
Yeah, so am I, the other boxed sets are in print, which irritates the hell out of me. I understand if it won't be gorgeously remastered, but I'd like to still be able to pay a reasonable price to buy the boxed set with the art book and such, but apparently bootlegs are ubiquitous, God knows what I'd have to pay for a proper release.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Stylish animation for a kids series but very, very cheaply done. Timm has even talked about that in recent years. There are tons of animation errors in it that would need to be digitally corrected today.
Some of it is, like the AKOM episodes. Some of it holds up pretty well. The TMS animation in episodes like "Feat of Clay, Part II" and "Two-Face, Part I," is still gorgeous to this day. The show was made under time and budget problems, which is probably a large part of the reason that they revamped the designs to make them move better later on, but some episodes are still pretty gorgeous.

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Batman is a kids cartoon. It aired on Fox Kids, weekday afternoons sandwhiched often between other kid shows. It was also aired Saturday mornings, where other kid shows air. Call it whatever you want, it was a kids show aimed at kids.
Nominally yes, but a lot of the content it dealt with and the tone of the show were pretty dark and it's primary fanbase now tends to be adults. That doesn't mean that it'll get released on BR or anything, but the audience for the show goes way beyond kids now.

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Why are you so angry dude?
He has a Dr. House avatar, maybe it's just his nature .

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
If the real problem isn't a tumor, he gets it wrong.
Maybe it's Lupus!
Old 05-08-13, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4
Well, I ran into countless problems with them, having to return a ton of films.
Not talking about the quality of the discs. Clearly there were issues if WB gave up on them. I'm just saying that at that time, many shows were being released on flippers including WB's primetime series, so that's not necessarily an indication that BTAS was a lower-tier series that they were trying "Mill Creek-ize."
Old 10-09-13, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not exactly the Batman we are waiting for, but gives me hope

Old 10-09-13, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Very excited about that! Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 10-09-13, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Eh Batman The Brave and the Bold is sort of so-so to me. I might pick it up if the price is low enough. Was the show new enough that it was broadcast in HD originally?
Old 10-09-13, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Oh, definitely! The show started airing in high-def in 2009.

Just about everything from Warner Animation has been produced in high-def since 2001 or thereabouts. I think their entire workflow has been in HD for a decade now, even if it didn't originally air that way. Always lookin' forward!
Old 10-09-13, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I wonder if they're using this release as a way to test the waters for future Batman/DC Heroes releases or if they're just doing this since it's already HD ready.
Old 10-09-13, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Eh Batman The Brave and the Bold is sort of so-so to me. I might pick it up if the price is low enough. Was the show new enough that it was broadcast in HD originally?
The series looks awesome in HD. I own the digital HD copy on VUDU and the quality is fantastic. It was natively produced at 1080P, which I guess is one of the main reasons it is seeing a Blu-ray release.
Old 10-09-13, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hrmmm, I dunno...Batman Brave and the Bold on blu-ray sounds good, but by WarnerArchive? Does that mean they would come on Bluray recordables or what? Also...WBShop was hacked not too long ago, I really don't want to touch them with a 10 foot pole if I don't have to.
Old 10-09-13, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Kedrix
Also...WBShop was hacked not too long ago, I really don't want to touch them with a 10 foot pole if I don't have to.
Their stuff is available from a bunch of other sites too, such as Amazon.

Warner Archive's other BDs have been pressed so far.
Old 10-09-13, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Warner Archive's other BDs have been pressed so far.
Yeah, I received The Mentalist: Season 1 from them recently (to review). Haven't had a chance to check it out so not sure on the quality, although, and unsurprisingly, the audio is just the standard Dolby Digital 5.1 even though the Dolby TrueHD logo is on the back cover.
Old 10-10-13, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully "Green Lantern: The Animated Series" will come to BD next year.
Old 10-10-13, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Allred
Hopefully "Green Lantern: The Animated Series" will come to BD next year.
That's a good idea. I think there is a chance that Beware the Batman gets a normal retail release.
Old 01-15-14, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Never say never, the original Adam West Batman television series is finally hitting home video (likely on both DVD and Blu-ray) in 2014. It just got announced!
Old 01-15-14, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Never say never, the original Adam West Batman television series is finally hitting home video (likely on both DVD and Blu-ray) in 2014. It just got announced!
Any word on Green Hornet?
Old 01-15-14, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mrhan
Not that I know of, but that series has much less commercial potential than Batman.
Old 01-15-14, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Who finally untangled the rights? I'll accept BTAS never being on BR, but I wish the Complete Series set wasn't so goddamn expensive.
Old 01-16-14, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Not that I know of, but that series has much less commercial potential than Batman.
It depends on how you market it. Just say, "The Green Hornet; starring BRUCE LEE" on the the box and you'll be surprised.
Old 01-16-14, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
It depends on how you market it. Just say, "The Green Hornet; starring BRUCE LEE" on the the box and you'll be surprised.
No, it will be more like

BRUCE LEE PUNCHES, KICKS AND PUNCHES

in

The Green Hornet
Old 01-16-14, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
No, it will be more like

BRUCE LEE PUNCHES, KICKS AND PUNCHES

in

The Green Hornet
That's good enough for me...fuck the Green Hornet I want to see Kato.
Old 01-16-14, 12:38 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hated that GH show. As a kid and not knowing the period or Lee's history, I wanted more Kato than GH. GH was slow ass cracker who couldn't defend himself well without his chink pal.

Now if only we could a good biopic of Lee's life. Dragon makes sick by how it tells his story. Even worse is that his wife was pleased by it.
Old 01-16-14, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Even worse is that his wife was pleased by it.
Funny thing is she retracted that which makes me think obviously it was all about making money; something which I don't have any problem with. I met her a few years ago and I wanted to ask so badly about it but I kept my mouth shut. She's actually a really nice lady.
Old 01-16-14, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If the Green Hornet episodes show up on the Batman set then that likely means that the rights issues that kept the DVD's from being released have been taken care of. It would all be up to if Fox sees any commercial value in releasing it. Which factoring the fact that it starred Bruce Lee and was only one season they would be morons not to.
Old 01-16-14, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I wonder if Warners actually cleared all the rights, or if we're going to wind up with VERY edited episodes?
Old 01-16-14, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I wonder if Warners actually cleared all the rights, or if we're going to wind up with VERY edited episodes?
Music licensing issues or syndicated copies with scenes cut for more commercials?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.