Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney splitting up Blu Ray & Blu Ray 3D releases?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Disney splitting up Blu Ray & Blu Ray 3D releases?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-13, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: Disney splitting up Blu Ray & Blu Ray 3D releases?

Well, the option to get the 3D disc for $10 isn't too bad... but it's still paying more for what used to be included. The separate 3D release seems pointless though.
Old 05-03-13, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I always thought a 3D disc would play just fine on a 2D player, but after some research I see that is sometimes not the case. Users say to check reviews to see if a 3D disc has 2D playback disabled.
Old 05-03-13, 08:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by emachine12
Let me see if I understand this math...

BD3D+Digital Copy and I can get the BD2D for $5.99 plus S&H.

or

BD2D+Digital Copy and I can get the BD3D for $5.99 plus S&H.

Unless the BD3D has the exact same extras as the BD2D, I see no reason to get the 3D release and I'm not paying Disney any money to get a BD2D with my 3D purchase. Especially if I have to pay for S&H which Disney has always charged $4 for. That's a ten dollar add-on compared to past Disney BD3D releases that had at most a $5 price difference at retail stores.
I was reading some assumptions that the 3D blu edition would be bare bones (no supplements), if that's the case, the bolded version I've highlighted is what I'll get. But I really don't need either the DC or the DVD for that matter and if the UK import is the 3D/2D 2-disc blu edition (which I've preordered) it's more than adequate
Old 05-03-13, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I'm a stubborn hardass or something, but I refuse to support this. I really hope too many people aren't suckered into this, as it could create an awful precedent on how all Disney and all other studios offer the 2D/3D versions. Hopefully this is a one time thing that they are doing only after realizing how stupid of an idea the separate 2D/3D versions was in the first place and not the start of how they do it on future releases.

Even if this is a one time thing, I'll either wait for a proper combo pack release or I'll just never own it, 2D or 3D. What they should do is offer the people who buy the 3D version the other discs for free. They deserve to take a loss like that for such a stupid idea in the first place.
Old 05-03-13, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L
Maybe I'm a stubborn hardass or something, but I refuse to support this.
No, you aren't. This movie was awful, so I'm not faced with a difficult choice, but I hope that I'd be able to restrain myself and not support the release if it were a movie I wanted.
Old 05-03-13, 11:58 PM
Banned

My main beef with Disney's current combo packs is excluding the standard HD extras to the 3D sets. I waited a while to pick up "Pirates 4", until I found one with the 3D disc missing for cheaper. I still haven't picked up "Cars 2", for the same reason.

The other thing is when they put 2 films on the same disc, especially the crappy DTV sequels.
Old 05-04-13, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4
My main beef with Disney's current combo packs is excluding the standard HD extras to the 3D sets. I waited a while to pick up "Pirates 4", until I found one with the 3D disc missing for cheaper. I still haven't picked up "Cars 2", for the same reason.

The other thing is when they put 2 films on the same disc, especially the crappy DTV sequels.
I'd rather not have the DTV sequels at all, but there's really no reason those films can't fit comfortably on a single disc, doesn't affect quality.
Old 05-04-13, 07:22 AM

I'm in a battle between not wanting to support this.....and being a whore for 3D product. I'm leaning towards not buying this.
Old 05-04-13, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

or

Unless the BD3D has the exact same extras as the BD2D, I see no reason to get the 3D release and I'm not paying Disney any money to get a BD2D with my 3D purchase. Especially if I have to pay for S&H which Disney has always charged $4 for. That's a ten dollar add-on compared to past Disney BD3D releases that had at most a $5 price difference at retail stores.
Disney thinks we are so stupid.

The are charging more for less, and then they want us to pay extra for a disk we use to get with the same product.

We have to vote NO and not buy OZ, if we buy they (and other Studios) will do the same thing - treat us like idiots.
Old 05-04-13, 08:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I'd rather not have the DTV sequels at all, but there's really no reason those films can't fit comfortably on a single disc, doesn't affect quality.
What's even worse is that the DTV sequels are separated on the DVDs in those packs, while both films are combined on the Blu-Ray.
Old 05-04-13, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4
What's even worse is that the DTV sequels are separated on the DVDs in those packs, while both films are combined on the Blu-Ray.
There's less storage space on a DVD, they wouldn't fit comfortably.
Old 05-04-13, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Bill Hunt says that you'll be able to play 3D as 2D, on 3D players and on 2D displays. Two questions come to mind:

1) Is he correct about this, or is Disney likely to block this feature?

2) If 3D-->2D playback is possible (on 3D players of course), can you opt to watch it as 2D on a 3D-capable TV?

If yes to both questions, then I don't see why a 2D Blu-ray is necessary if the 3D will play both versions.
Old 05-04-13, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's less storage space on a DVD, they wouldn't fit comfortably.

True, two 70 minutes animated features will fit very comfortable on a 50gb disc and even have room for plenty of extras. Not so with a DVD.
Old 05-04-13, 10:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceames
Bill Hunt says that you'll be able to play 3D as 2D, on 3D players and on 2D displays. Two questions come to mind:

1) Is he correct about this, or is Disney likely to block this feature?

2) If 3D-->2D playback is possible (on 3D players of course), can you opt to watch it as 2D on a 3D-capable TV?

If yes to both questions, then I don't see why a 2D Blu-ray is necessary if the 3D will play both versions.
Not sure on what you read, or if Bill Hunt changed what he wrote, but there isn't any mention at all about 3D and 2D on one disc, like the Lionsgate releases of Conan and Dredd. He states Disney has said they will have an offer for those who purchase 3D to pay an additional $5.99 to get the 2D disc. I think it's absolute bullshit in any case. Here's what was posted:

In other news from around the Net today, it seems as if Disney heard your complaints (and probably read my rant from the other day) about the Oz: The Great and Powerful Blu-ray 3D release including no 2D Blu-ray version. Home Media reports that the studio is offering those who purchase the 3D version a 2D Blu-ray copy for $5.99 (plus shipping and handling) via a special mail-in offer in the package. For those of you at Disney reading this, we’re still hearing TONS of complaints about this via e-mail from readers, so heads-up. Here’s the studio’s official statement:

“We strive to give our consumers the best in-home experience and consistently evolve our mix of product offerings. We know that our 3D consumers enjoy that experience as well as the ease of use and functionality of digital copy. With Oz the Great and Powerful we’re offering a single, simplified version for their in-home and on-the-go viewing needs. And, for those desiring a 2D Blu-ray version of the film, there’s an offer included in the package.”

I’m fairly sure that isn’t going to appease Blu-ray 3D fans much, but the studio must be hearing your complaints at least so that’s something.
Old 05-04-13, 10:52 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

This is a good move. If you want the 3D and 2D you need to buy two copies. Great way to boost sales.
Old 05-04-13, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Not sure on what you read, or if Bill Hunt changed what he wrote, but there isn't any mention at all about 3D and 2D on one disc, like the Lionsgate releases of Conan and Dredd.
Now, if you have a Blu-ray 3D player, you CAN apparently choose to watch only 2D (the player simply shows you the picture information intended for only one eye)
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/column...ts/050113_1515
Old 05-05-13, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

A Blu-ray 3D player and PS3 will only play back a 3D only BD if it detects a 3D TV. Otherwise, no playback or a message telling you the BD3D requirements. It will also play back in 3D, you have to tell your TV to output a 2D signal. The player is only going to output what is encoded on the disc.

Unless a 2D version is encoded on the disc like Dredd or Step Up Revolution, don't expect a 2D signal to be played back on a 2D TV automatically.

Last edited by emachine12; 05-05-13 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-05-13, 10:30 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Only certain plays have the ability to do that. I wonder if my Oppo 103 can? I own so many 3D films and watch very few of them.
Old 05-05-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Only certain plays have the ability to do that. I wonder if my Oppo 103 can? I own so many 3D films and watch very few of them.
I own a handful of them, but none I tried will play in my Oppo 95 using a 2D display.
Old 05-12-13, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Thus far I feel the best looking 3D BD I own is The Three Musketeers. Now if only I could find Step Up 3D on sale.
I've noticed Step Up 3D on at Best Buy the last few weeks during the Upgrade and Save. It was $19.99 if i'm not mistaken, plus the $5 upgrade.
Old 05-12-13, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by juanmgonzalez
I've noticed Step Up 3D on at Best Buy the last few weeks during the Upgrade and Save. It was $19.99 if i'm not mistaken, plus the $5 upgrade.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out after work. What's the $5 upgrade?
Old 05-12-13, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out after work. What's the $5 upgrade?
Trading in a DVD for a $5 coupon, but that promo ended yesterday.
Old 05-12-13, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Trading in a DVD for a $5 coupon, but that promo ended yesterday.
Oh. Dang.
Old 06-01-13, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

or

Where did Disney ever say that owners of the 2D set can get the 3D version for $5.99? I've only read that 3D buyers can get a 2D version by mail for $5.99 + S&H.
Old 06-01-13, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I may ultimately pick this up, but the only way I would do it would be by getting bother versions in the DMC, making it less than $20 for them both. I still don't feel right supporting it though when I should be able to get them both in the first place for less than $10.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.