Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Old 08-08-13, 03:09 PM
  #151  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38,374
Received 1,229 Likes on 946 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Originally Posted by Josh Z
That excuse doesn't hold up to scrutiny when you watch the scene. Lots of empty chunks of ice unencumbered by anything plummet to the bottom of the ocean like rocks.

I'll remind you that the movie also has submarines flying around under water like fighter jets, and an actual figher jet that can fly at Mach 20,000 from Moscow to Washington DC in five seconds and only responds to voice commands in Celtic.

Rise of Cobra is dead stupid. The movie isn't "turn off your brain" entertainment. It's "shoot yourself in the head to stop the pain" torture.



I don't disagree with any of this. The destruction of London (presumably killing millions of people) also felt out of place given the tone of the rest of the movie and was handled almost dismissively. Roadblock's pushing the self-destruct button on the satellites at literally the last second was also exceedingly lame. Why were the satellites rigged to explode in the first place?

Even so, the movie's still not as stupid or awful as Rise of Cobra. Rising to the level of mediocrity is a huge improvement over that garbage.
Wrong. It's much stupider and less fun than the first one. It really says something when you have to re-watch ROC in order to get the bad taste out of your mouth right after watching Retaliation.

Chu is on his way to becoming a hack. Granted, Sommers has been a hack for years, but Deep Rising is still the bomb, yo.
Old 08-08-13, 05:01 PM
  #152  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,551
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Originally Posted by Josh Z
That excuse doesn't hold up to scrutiny when you watch the scene. Lots of empty chunks of ice unencumbered by anything plummet to the bottom of the ocean like rocks.

I'll remind you that the movie also has submarines flying around under water like fighter jets, and an actual figher jet that can fly at Mach 20,000 from Moscow to Washington DC in five seconds and only responds to voice commands in Celtic.

Rise of Cobra is dead stupid. The movie isn't "turn off your brain" entertainment. It's "shoot yourself in the head to stop the pain" torture.



I don't disagree with any of this. The destruction of London (presumably killing millions of people) also felt out of place given the tone of the rest of the movie and was handled almost dismissively. Roadblock's pushing the self-destruct button on the satellites at literally the last second was also exceedingly lame. Why were the satellites rigged to explode in the first place?

Even so, the movie's still not as stupid or awful as Rise of Cobra. Rising to the level of mediocrity is a huge improvement over that garbage.
Well I do know if there's one thing that I expect from my movies based on toylines, based on a comic book, based on a cartoon, based on a toyline it's complete realism.
Old 08-09-13, 12:37 PM
  #153  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,785
Received 269 Likes on 187 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Originally Posted by robin2099
Well I do know if there's one thing that I expect from my movies based on toylines, based on a comic book, based on a cartoon, based on a toyline it's complete realism.
Straw man argument. No one is asking for "complete realism." There's a wide gulf of possibilities between "astounding stupidity" and "complete realism." All we want is a movie that doesn't make us feel like we've been bludgeoned over the head with a tire iron and then pissed on afterwards.
Old 08-09-13, 12:39 PM
  #154  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,785
Received 269 Likes on 187 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Originally Posted by wishbone
It seemed odd that the Zeus satellite had such an involved and time-consuming clamping process to ready the tungsten rod which apparently only needed to drop from space.
I took it that most of the delay was for the satellite to position itself in orbit to align with the target. The clamping was just to give us something to look at while it was doing that.
Old 08-19-13, 12:21 AM
  #155  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: london
Posts: 1,652
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Originally Posted by wahlers
You're joking, right?

Yes. Yes i'm joking.
Old 11-29-13, 12:30 PM
  #156  
DVD Talk Legend
 
mattysemo247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12,551
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

So it looks like the extended edition isn't sold in stores anymore and is $35 at bestbuy.com. Amazon has the regular edition for $8. Is there really that much of a difference between the two versions or would the regular edition be just fine?
Old 11-29-13, 12:40 PM
  #157  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JimRochester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Rochester, NY. USA
Posts: 18,014
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

I didn't notice much of a difference. At least not a $27 difference
Old 11-29-13, 02:08 PM
  #158  
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California
Posts: 20,288
Received 375 Likes on 312 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
So it looks like the extended edition isn't sold in stores anymore and is $35 at bestbuy.com. Amazon has the regular edition for $8. Is there really that much of a difference between the two versions or would the regular edition be just fine?
If you are curious about the changes (the Extended Cut is 12 minutes longer), there is a visual list here:

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=723200
Old 12-02-13, 01:25 PM
  #159  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,785
Received 269 Likes on 187 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
So it looks like the extended edition isn't sold in stores anymore and is $35 at bestbuy.com. Amazon has the regular edition for $8. Is there really that much of a difference between the two versions or would the regular edition be just fine?
Honestly, I prefer the theatrical cut overall. Some of the changes in the extended cut make the movie worse, not better. See my post #134 in this thread.
Old 12-02-13, 02:45 PM
  #160  
DVD Talk Legend
 
mattysemo247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12,551
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Jul 30, 2013)

Yeah, I went ahead and ordered the regular version for $7.99. It will be here tomorrow. Since then, they dropped the price on the 3D version to $14.99. Looks like Best Buy also has it for $14.99.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.