DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   I just bought my first 3DTV.. What 3D movies are a must? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/607680-i-just-bought-my-first-3dtv-what-3d-movies-must.html)

adrenaline78 01-04-13 02:21 AM

I just bought my first 3DTV.. What 3D movies are a must?

What 3D movies are a must own??

I do have a few 3d movies already.

Thor, POTC4, and Brave.

Solid Snake 01-04-13 03:27 AM

Re: I just bought my first 3DTV.. What 3D movies are a must?

The only films I'd argue that 3D actually matters is Avatar, Prometheus, Dredd, and Hugo. Titanic I hear has a damn fine Post Conversion, so that seems like it matters too. I've heard that the Pixar ones do well w/ it but I've never had much to say about the couple I have seen in that format.

darkhawk 01-04-13 04:44 AM

Check out the animated
Gnomeo and Juliet
Despicable Me

darkdaze73 01-04-13 06:23 AM

One that I think gets overlooked, Kung Fu Panda 2 is near reference, if not reference material.

RocShemp 01-04-13 06:31 AM

Step Up 3D

AdamGott 01-04-13 08:32 AM

Avengers (although I believe it was post-production 3d) is a fun movie. Coraline looked pretty awesome in 3d and Hugo. Also I would second Avatar.

LPMA 01-04-13 08:52 AM

I know a lot of people were raving about the 3D in Drive Angry too.

adrenaline78 01-04-13 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by LPMA (Post 11526576)
I know a lot of people were raving about the 3D in Drive Angry too.

lol.. but then I would have to watch that movie again.

So the list is

Step UP 3d --- I've heard this is an all around reference material movie, audio and video.

Avengers
Prometheus
Hugo
Titanic

Animated Movies

I forgot that I do have the Avengers.

I also have Titanic and Prometheus, but I am unsure they will work in my player as they are Media Markt(german) releases.

Noonan 01-04-13 09:34 AM

I enjoyed the 3D in Legend of the Guardians. A bit past the season but Christmas Carol from a few years ago looks great in 3D as well.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 01-04-13 10:14 AM

Get the movies you like that are also in 3D.

kefrank 01-04-13 10:30 AM

I normally find 3D distracting and obnoxious, but I thought it was used beautifully in Prometheus, so I second that suggestion.

Shannon Nutt 01-04-13 02:13 PM

I thought THE ADVENTURES OF TIN TIN was great in 3D...but most of the animated stuff is. Already mentioned, but HUGO and PROMETHEUS look great.

Supermallet 01-04-13 03:16 PM

Dredd, Tintin, Coraline, Hugo, How To Train Your Dragon.

Double_Oh_7 01-04-13 05:01 PM

I just watched Finding Nemo in 3D, and it's amazing. Any of the 3D Pixar stuff is great. Also Tron:Legacy is my go-to 3D demo.

Brent L 01-04-13 08:28 PM

Ok, I'm gonna say this but please don't think I'm comparing this movie to any of the great ones already mentioned. I bought Bait 3D at Walmart the other day for $7.xx or so and there are some scenes in it where the 3D effect is pretty amazing. There is one specific moment where I legitimately thought something was flying through the room in front of me and had to rewind it a few times and watch it over and over it "got me" so completely.

The movie is pretty darn good for yet another shark attach flick as well, with a nice twist to the concept. For that cheap, I say go for it without a doubt.

Pizza 01-04-13 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 11527524)
I just watched Finding Nemo in 3D, and it's amazing. Any of the 3D Pixar stuff is great. Also Tron:Legacy is my go-to 3D demo.

I agree with you on all except Tron.

I'll add Titanic looks great and Hugo simply dazzles. The Creature from the Black Lagoon is awesome but only available in the Universal box set.

GenPion 01-04-13 09:20 PM

In my opinion, Tron: Legacy has the best usage of 3D in any film to date.

I would also suggest Hugo, Avatar, Prometheus, The Adventures of Tintin, and any Pixar film.

I am basing this on my theatrical viewing experiences and not on the 3D Blu-ray discs themselves (though I have heard good things about all of the home media releases). I don't have a 3D HDTV... yet.

Avoid John Carter in 3D. It has the worst post-conversion I have ever seen. Men in Black 3's 3D was done in post and is the best example I can think of (in case you want to compare).

Joe Schmoe 01-05-13 12:03 PM

I own all of the 3D films below. I think the first and second groups consist of films shot in 3D, and the third group consists of films converted to 3D (although I'm not sure about Toy Story 3). The first group offers the best 3D experience IMHO because I'm a fan of pop-out effects...

1) Great pop-out effects (and some depth effects): The Final Destination; Final Destination 5; Resident Evil: Afterlife; Resident Evil: Retribution; Journey 2: The Mysterious Island; Despicable Me; A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas, Tangled.

2) Great depth effects (and some pop-out effects): Shrek Forever After; Puss in Boots; Megamind; Monsters vs. Aliens; How to Train Your Dragon; Brave; Bolt; Underworld: Awakening; Avatar; Transformers: Dark of the Moon; Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides; Prometheus.

3) Disappointing depth & pop-out effects: Thor; Captain America: The First Avenger; The Avengers; Shrek; Shrek 2; Shrek the Third; Toy Story; Toy Story 2; Toy Story 3; Finding Nemo; Beauty & the Beast; The Lion King; I, Robot; Clash of the Titans; Wrath of the Titans; Green Lantern; Immortals; Titanic.

clckworang 01-05-13 03:49 PM

I agree with many of the ones already mentioned, especially Avatar and Hugo. Creature from the Black Lagoon is remarkably good as well. There were moments I thought fish were swimming around my back yard. The Final Destination movies fare are great, too, especially 5. As others have mentioned, animated films are pretty reliable for 3D.

Just to throw out a couple of other suggestions that haven't been mentioned, I would mention My Bloody Valentine and Piranha 3D. Some might disagree about Piranha. It is a post-conversion job, but it was clearly filmed with 3D in mind. I thought the 3D was really good, as did my friends who have seen it. The one problem I noticed is that the people sometimes get that flat paper doll look, but it's just a fun, mindless movie anyway, so I didn't mind. My Bloody Valentine is a pretty bad movie that has some good gore and incredible 3D effects. It was shot in 3D, and I would put it up against almost any other 3D movie. There are some pop-out moments that make me flinch. Plus, both of these titles get really cheap from time to time.

Matty-O 01-05-13 06:02 PM

I really enjoy the Imax documentaries, and the 3D is excellent. I own Under the Sea, Born to Be Wild and Hubble. The potato cod scene in Under the Sea is my go to 3D show off moment!

Supermallet 01-05-13 06:59 PM

Cave of Forgotten Dreams

Compelled 01-05-13 07:29 PM

Get what you like, but I'd stick to the "shot in 3D" over the conversions. However I think the Titanic conversion is the best I've seen so far.

Giles 01-06-13 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Matty-O (Post 11528487)
I really enjoy the Imax documentaries, and the 3D is excellent. I own Under the Sea, Born to Be Wild and Hubble. The potato cod scene in Under the Sea is my go to 3D show off moment!

also:

Grand Canyon Adventure: River at Risk
The Ultimate Wave: Tahiti 3D

E Unit 01-06-13 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Matty-O (Post 11528487)

Arabia 3D has some very nice effects. And WWII in 3D has some good stuff in it as well. They even briefly explain why 3D footage exists during the war.

caligulathegod 01-11-13 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Pizza (Post 11527731)
The Creature from the Black Lagoon is awesome but only available in the Universal box set.

You can get it region free from Amazon.co.uk (England) for less than $18.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creature-Bla...7884051&sr=8-1