Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Terminator: Remastered - 2/19/2013

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Terminator: Remastered - 2/19/2013

Old 02-19-13, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Terminator: Remastered - 2/19/2013

Welp, I went to the store to buy it, BUT neither Walmart, Target, or Best Buy DIDN'T have it. What a load of crap. Best Buy got that old disc with new artwork about 2 months ago, but they cant get the Remastered Version!!??? Im so mad...

Also, no sign of the new release of the Running Man. (Not sure how good the transfer is on that one)..

They pushed Top Gun, which is another pile of crap as the 2D version of the movie is the same as the previous BLu ray release...

Last edited by chelray1; 02-19-13 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-19-13, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chelray1
Welp, I went to the store to buy it, BUT neither Walmart, Target, or Best Buy DIDN'T have it. What a load of crap. Best Buy got that old disc with new artwork about 2 months ago, but they cant get the Remastered Version!!??? Im so mad...

Also, no sign of the new release of the Running Man. (Not sure how good the transfer is on that one)..

They pushed Top Gun, which is another pile of crap as the 2D version of the movie is the same as the previous BLu ray release...
Same thing here. I got up early to hit Best buy.....and nothing. Best Buy is going down the tubes as far as i'm concerned. Maybe next time i'm in there i'll tell them that. I guess i'll have to look at Amazon to get anything these day's. Oh well, see ya later Best Buy.
Old 02-19-13, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked online and it appears that this is not in-stores yet. However their website is so screwed up it wouldn't surprise me to walk into a Best Buy and find one.
Old 02-19-13, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I checked online and it appears that this is not in-stores yet. However their website is so screwed up it wouldn't surprise me to walk into a Best Buy and find one.
It most certainly is. My BB only had one copy in store - though I ended up getting it at Fry's.
Old 02-19-13, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
It most certainly is. My BB only had one copy in store - though I ended up getting it at Fry's.
Not surprising. That company is such a mess.
Old 02-19-13, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much is it at Fry's? I checked Target at lunch when I picked up Argo but didn't see it.
Old 02-19-13, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fox did silently re-release the old disc with new artwork that showed up at Best Buy over the holidays. The new disc has an 8 digit sku which usually means it's not carried in stores.

This is the one you saw at Best Buy today?
Old 02-19-13, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
This is the one you saw at Best Buy today?
Yeah, they had one copy under T in the action section, right next to the other Terminators.

Originally Posted by mcfly
How much is it at Fry's? I checked Target at lunch when I picked up Argo but didn't see it.
Old 02-19-13, 08:57 PM

well I ended up having to order the darn thing from Walmart.com...13.86 plux tax....I sent Best Buy a big complaint email...(for all the good it will do)..Their store manager said that most people order off the net or download it and that getting real copies in the store will soon become a thing of the past.. HOGWASH!! if I cant get a real copy in my hands, I dont want it! The fun of collecting is to get the real thing on the day it comes out!
Old 02-19-13, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Received mine from Amazon today... unless you have issues with mail/package theft in your neighborhood, there's really no reason not to go that route. (Other than store exclusives) Unfortunately, you just can't expect a retail store to carry an unadvertised catalog release like this in stores.

Will probably watch this later in the week, but looking forward to it! Hoping we can get a remastered, T2 3D in a few years...

Edit: I caved and watched it, probably tied with E.T. for the best looking 80's blu. Stunning quality.

Last edited by Artman; 02-20-13 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-20-13, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by chelray1
(Their store manager said that most people order off the net or download it and that getting real copies in the store will soon become a thing of the past.
I believe that he's telling the truth. I noticed the few times that I've been in Best Buy that the bluray section has dwindled a bit. I noticed it right off. I'll have to ask next time i'm in there ( don't know when that will be ) to confirm what they said. But I don't doubt it for a minute that streaming will take over sometime in the future. By the way I ordered the Terminator from Amazon last night.
Old 02-20-13, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Artman
Received mine from Amazon today... unless you have issues with mail/package theft in your neighborhood, there's really no reason not to go that route. (Other than store exclusives) Unfortunately, you just can't expect a retail store to carry an unadvertised catalog release like this in stores.

Will probably watch this later in the week, but looking forward to it! Hoping we can get a remastered, T2 3D in a few years...

Edit: I caved and watched it, probably tied with E.T. for the best looking 80's blu. Stunning quality.
Yes, I expect the stores to carry this release. Its one of the most ICONIC movies in history...

They all got that crappy re-release of the old disc with the new artwork, but not this TOTALLY REMASTERED NEW DISC?? Thats mind blowing...

They can get JAWS and TOP GUN, but not THE TERMINATOR??? Makes no sense.. I could understand if this where some average movie from the 80s like Adventures in Babysitting, BUT its the Terminator.. Come on...

Also pretty sad that the New Running Man Remastered release didnt make it to the stores either...
Old 02-20-13, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JOE29
Same thing here. I got up early to hit Best buy.....and nothing. Best Buy is going down the tubes as far as i'm concerned. Maybe next time i'm in there i'll tell them that. I guess i'll have to look at Amazon to get anything these day's. Oh well, see ya later Best Buy.
You're sadly right. I've given up going to Best Buy for a release date pickup of a catalog title. They never have it. On top of that their BD sections have gotten so shoddy and disorganized (in addition to now mixing DVD's with BD's) and so poorly stocked that it's hardly worth browsing anymore. I should go write about this in the store forum.

On topic, I'm happy there's a remaster of Terminator. I have the older Bluray because it was given to me as a gift (I knew a remaster was coming so I hadn't bought it myself). We'll see. I'm hearing so much about 4K these days that I've pretty much stopped bluray purchasing because I can just see myself 2 or 3 years from now rebuying everything again in some 4K disc format.
Old 02-21-13, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 895 Likes on 720 Posts

Do not stop buying Blu-rays because 4K is just around the corner, as you put it! This thinking is a great fallacy. The only titles which will get a 4K treatment will likely be top-tier new releases. Catalog titles won't be given the 'honor' becuase, after all, the studio exec see that there's "no money in back-catalog product."

I think this 1080p release is as good as TERMINATOR will look(terrible 'modern' color-timing aside) for a LONG time in your home theatre.
Old 02-22-13, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

How hard is it to simply carry over all the special features from the DVD release? Really hard, apparently, because there is a lot missing.

Compared to the 2001 DVD Special Edition release, this new Blu-ray is missing the following:
  • Original Mono soundtrack
  • Teaser, 2 Trailers, and 2 TV Spots
  • The 1-hour "Other Voices" documentary - 13 minutes of the doc is presented on the Blu-ray, covering only the Visual Effects and Music. I don't understand why the whole documentary isn't included?!
  • Easter Eggs - 40 minutes worth of interviews filmed during (but not included on) the Other Voices documentary.
  • Optional James Cameron commentary is missing on the 7 deleted scenes
  • Still Galleries: James Cameron Artwork, Production Photos, Stan Winston Effects, Fantasy II: Visual Effects, Publicity Materials
  • Original 40-page James Cameron treatment
And, of course, the new color grading. After watching the DVD and Blu-ray side-by-side, the new color grading definitely gives it a more modern look and feel, and robs it of its distinct 80's look.

Last edited by TheBang; 02-22-13 at 03:20 AM.
Old 02-22-13, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B.
How hard is it to simply carry over all the special features from the DVD release? Really hard, apparently, because there is a lot missing.
Considering the number of releases out there that omit features from DVD SEs, I'm guessing it might be so.

I don't know if it's a situation where they would have to pay some kind of royalty and they're saving pennies by leaving stuff off, or what.
Old 02-22-13, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Considering the number of releases out there that omit features from DVD SEs, I'm guessing it might be so.

I don't know if it's a situation where they would have to pay some kind of royalty and they're saving pennies by leaving stuff off, or what.
Even if they carried them over, they would still be in standard and not HD. So, best thing is to keep your DVD SE.
Old 02-22-13, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched this tonight and was really impressed with the new transfer. It definitely blows away the old disc as this version has actual detail in the video and some life in the color. The grimey look of the original version is completely gone.
Old 02-23-13, 01:45 AM

Picked this up at Sam's Club for $7.98.
Old 02-23-13, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I watched this tonight and was really impressed with the new transfer. It definitely blows away the old disc as this version has actual detail in the video and some life in the color. The grimey look of the original version is completely gone.
Good. Mine is on the way.
Old 02-23-13, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Do not stop buying Blu-rays because 4K is just around the corner, as you put it! This thinking is a great fallacy. The only titles which will get a 4K treatment will likely be top-tier new releases.
I'm not even thinking about touching 4k's. You have to buy a new TV, a new blu-player plus how much more are those disc's going to cost? I've already changed over a lot of my disc's to blu. I can't even go 4k if I wanted to. So i'm not even worrying about 4k.
Old 02-23-13, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by godzilla rules
Picked this up at Sam's Club for $7.98.
I wish they had this online so that I could price-match at Best Buy for this price.
Old 02-24-13, 04:38 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This isn't available in Canada. As per usual we miss out on these common releases
Old 02-25-13, 09:24 PM

Yes, it is available in Canada.
Old 02-27-13, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Fok
This isn't available in Canada. As per usual we miss out on these common releases
I picked it up at Walmart in Canada for $13.88

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.