Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Warner Archive goes Blu -- whoddathunkit?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Warner Archive goes Blu -- whoddathunkit?

Old 04-22-21, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts
Re: Warner Archive goes Blu -- whoddathunkit?

Beck has never been anything but upfront and forthright. I have no reason to not believe his info. It was WB that pushed DVD as a format and then the HD move to HD-DVD/BD. That is crushing news for physical media collectors like us if WB has truly thrown in the towel.

I had been told the major studios were planning to move away from media by 2024-2025 but that was before Covid shut down Hollywood for an entire year.
Old 04-23-21, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 350 Posts

I should have taken advantage of that last sale. But I had just bought a couple expensive TPB's and an Omnibus, so I held off, hoping they'd do another one. But the sale did say, "Last chance," so I'm doubting that another sale is going to happen. I hope that they do have another one, anyway.
Old 04-23-21, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 350 Posts

I hope they DO license this stuff out to 3rd parties. I'm still holding out hope for a Babylon 5 Blu Ray set.
Old 04-23-21, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

This Beck dude just posted a clarification post that his statement was taken out of context. He doesn't work directly for WB and doesn't know what they're plans on. He does not know what WB's plans are. FYI.
The following users liked this post:
Alan Smithee (04-23-21)
Old 04-23-21, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I should have taken advantage of that last sale. But I had just bought a couple expensive TPB's and an Omnibus, so I held off, hoping they'd do another one. But the sale did say, "Last chance," so I'm doubting that another sale is going to happen. I hope that they do have another one, anyway.
The reason it was announced as the "last sale" is because they transitioned fulfillment companies. The old WB shop (which was not run by WB) is closed for good. From that perspective, it was the last sale. Their new store is an Amazon storefront. No one knows what if any sales might happen down the road.
Old 04-23-21, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 597 Likes on 431 Posts

That tweet was deleted.
This is one of the reasons I complain about just posting links to tweets without also saying what was in the tweet.

what did Beck say in the deleted tweet?

Last edited by whotony; 04-23-21 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-23-21, 08:55 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Finally today, a number of you have asked us about online rumors (over the last few days) that Warner Bros. Home Entertainment is basically shutting down their in-house physical media production operation. This is essentially true, but it’s also lacking important context. The reason they’re doing this, is that Warner Bros. and Universal are essentially merging their home entertainment operations. That new joint entity—Studio Distribution Services, which is now up and running after a slow ramp-up period in 2020—will produce and distribute Blu-ray, DVD, and 4K Ultra HD titles for bothstudios. None of this should come as a surprise to anyone; Warner and Universal essentially announced their intention to do this back in January of 2020 (see our report at the time here). (You can also read this Deadlinereport from the time.) The pandemic just slowed the process of getting it going down a bit. This, in theory, will allow them to do the same quality and level of work (in terms of releasing titles on disc) more efficiently and cost-effectively, allowing both Warner Bros. and Universal to stay in the physical media business for as long as possible. Unfortunately, it means that a lot of good people at each studio have been laid off (for example the dedicated Warner Archive Collection team at WB and much of the restoration team at Universal) as they combine their resources. But it can also be seen as a positive sign of each studio’s commitment to physical media in the long term. I strongly encourage you all to read the Deadline piece here. You should also know that I’ve confirmed just today that Studio Distribution Services is now in place and operating as intended. And there is no intention by either studio to discontinue their disc releases anytime soon. Hopefully, we’ll learn more about how all this is meant to work in the days and weeks ahead.
https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/m...x_mNVatayCwl4w
Adam Tyner (04-23-21)
Old 04-24-21, 10:11 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Coming from TDB is anyone shocked? This is absolutely coming to a end given retailers have reduced stock and will continue to do so. Discs are essentially worthless on the second hand market and many consumers are just as content streaming.
Old 04-24-21, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 04-24-21, 11:05 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Coming from TDB is anyone shocked? This is absolutely coming to a end given retailers have reduced stock and will continue to do so. Discs are essentially worthless on the second hand market and many consumers are just as content streaming.

When Disks go out of print, which is quite common now, there is demand and they are far from worthless.
Spiderbite (04-26-21)
Old 04-24-21, 11:18 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by g
When Disks go out of print, which is quite common now, there is demand and they are far from worthless.
Sure, that certainly can happen. But the bulk of them don’t sell for more than $2-3 now. Try unloading a collection…good luck
Old 04-25-21, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I believe that the available titles will be greatly diminished in physical media format but to say that it’s dead, it’s totally ridiculous. Streaming will be a main source of film availability but it won’t be the only one.
Old 04-25-21, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Sure, that certainly can happen. But the bulk of them don’t sell for more than $2-3 now. Try unloading a collection…good luck
You gotta collect the boutique labels if you don’t want your Bds to end up worth being 2-3 bucks.
The following 4 users liked this post by davidlynchfan:
Brian T (04-27-21), John Pannozzi (04-25-21), PhantomStranger (04-25-21), Spiderbite (04-26-21)
Old 05-24-21, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got my copy of WB Archives Drunken Master II yesterday from Amazon Canada. Let me say that I’m extremely pleased to have this. No more Miramax cut and dubbing to worry about.
Old 05-24-21, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I got my copy of WB Archives Drunken Master II yesterday from Amazon Canada. Let me say that I’m extremely pleased to have this. No more Miramax cut and dubbing to worry about.
I received my copy as well and was able to give it a spin. My immediate reaction is do not let the inclusion of the original subtitles with spelling and grammatical errors stop you from buying this. Would I have preferred a new translation? Sure, but these subs are not that bad. There are maybe half a dozen lines where the grammar left me scratching my head and maybe half a dozen more where the sentence structure could have been cleaned up a bit to read more clearly. I didn't notice any spelling errors. There are also some instances where the subs flash too quickly, but that's sometimes even a problem on the best translations. I can't speak to their accuracy, but maybe I'll get around to comparing them to the HKR version. Nothing jumped out to me though. If they hadn't made a big deal about the original subs in the it's release, I don't think anyone would have thought twice. I'll take these subs any day over the subs Celestial sends out with their Shaw Brothers titles. Oh, and thank goodness the subs themselves are white and in an appropriate font. None of this yellow, all caps garbage from the Mr. Nice Guy blu.

The picture quality is not what I would expect with a 4k scan coming from Warner Archive, but I don't think Warner Archive actually did the work. This is a slightly superior master from the same source used for the Asian releases. The wording on their press release made it sound like something it's not. It's still the best it has looked (and likely ever will) on home video.

My one major complaint is that I wish they had included the export cut of the film. Not the Miramax version (which I do kind of like, but it's already out on Blu), but rather the cut that accompanied the original English dub. It's the same movie, but it ends immediately after the factory fight. As it is, if you choose the English dub, the last scene reverts to Cantonese with subs. It's a small thing, but it would have been so easy to do with simple branching. And let's be honest. That last scene kind of sucks.

Despite the flaws, and depending on how one feels about the Ritrovata restorations of Police Story 1&2 found on the Criterion, this might be the best release of a "classic" Jackie title in the US. I absolutely would have preferred this to get the 88 or Eureka treatment, but I'll take what I can get. Now please, please, please can we get an uncut Rumble and First Strike before Warner Archive goes kaput for good?
Old 05-24-21, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I wasn’t going to miss the chance to own this film after so many years having the Miramax cut and dub as my only option. I paid double of what’s currently is at the US Amazon as the Canadian one is selling it for over $32 Canadian. I didn’t care.

Rewatching it this morning, just reminded me how good Anita Mui could be.
Old 05-24-21, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Rewatching it this morning, just reminded me how good Anita Mui could be.
She's hysterical. What's amazing is that she's equally as hysterical no matter which dub you watch it with.
Old 10-01-21, 07:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Any good? Never even heard of,,,

Old 11-12-21, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Another holy grail Warner Archive release -- Angels With Dirty Faces -- is down to $17.99 on Amazon.
Old 11-12-21, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Is Straight Time any good? Hell, yes!
OldBoy (11-13-21)
Old 11-30-21, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

I posted about Stage Fright in the Hitchcock thread, but equally notable for me, Warner Archive is finishing off the Thin Man series in January:

Old 01-26-22, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Warner finally has THE BROTHERS GRIMM on the schedule, for March 29:
Amazon Amazon

THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM (1962)
DELUXE 2-DISC SPECIAL EDITION
2-BD50s
Disc 1-Restored Cinerama image letterboxed
Disc 2-Restored Cinerama image in SMILEBOX format, to approximate the curved theater screen experience in the home
Disc 1-Aspect Ratio 16x9 2.85 Letterbox
Disc 2-Aspect Ratio 16x9 2.85 Smilebox
Audio Specs DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 Surround
140 Minutes-Roadshow presentation with Overture, Intermission , Entr'acte, and Exit Music.
SPECIAL FEATURES: New featurettes RESCUING A FANTASY CLASSIC (HD); THE EPIC ART OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM (HD); THE WONDERFUL CAREER OF GEORGE PAL (HD), and more, plus multiple trailers and audio pieces

The story behind the brothers who created beloved fairy tales come to life, with reenactments of three of their stories. The film tells the story of the brothers' long struggle for recognition and the sacrifices they and their families made to achieve their goals. Between dreamer Wilhelm (Laurence Harvey) and practical Jacob (Karl Boehm), some marvelous fairy tales develop. In "The Dancing Princess," a princess (Yvette Mimieux) falls in love with a charming woodsman (Russ Tamblyn). In "The Cobbler and the Elves," a Christmas miracle of dedicated labor helps the cobbler out when he most needs it. And in the last story, a fire-breathing dragon threatens the kingdom until a lowly servant (Buddy Hackett) saves the day. Shot on location in West Germany, the innovative production features Puppetoons, a technique developed by Oscar-winning special effects expert George Pal. Meticulously restored from its original Cinerama negatives, this fanciful delight is a treat for audiences of all ages.....and this Deluxe Two Disc Edition gives the viewer the opportunity to watch the film either in a traditional letterbox format, or in the Smilebox format which attempts to re-create the immersive Cinerama experience with a simulated curve to the screen. Both versions bring together the three original Cinerama panels with virtually no trace of the lines that joined them together when originally projected in theaters back in 1962.
Warner Archive extends its deepest thanks to Cinerama restorationists David Strohmaier and Tom March, and Decurion Corp. (parent company of Cinerama Inc.), who partnered with us to bring this project to fruition.
The following 3 users liked this post by Brian T:
Adam Tyner (01-26-22), PhantomStranger (01-26-22), Why So Blu? (01-26-22)
Old 01-26-22, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Might have to blind buy that, looks like the kind of mixed storytelling I'd enjoy.

Not to mention Barbara Eden and Yvette Mimieux.
Old 01-26-22, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They've also got a restored 1937 A STAR IS BORN slated for March 29. Really looking forward to that, too. It's always been barely passable on video thanks to what I've read were public domain prints, but now it's been given a 4K scan from the original technicolor negatives, so it should look phenomenal:
Amazon Amazon

NEW 2022 1080p HD Master from 4K scan of its original Nitrate Technicolor Camera Negatives!
A STAR IS BORN (1937)-RESTORED EDITION
BD50
Color
Aspect Ratio 16x9 1.37 with Side Mattes
Audio Specs DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 MONO
111 Minutes
SPECIAL FEATURES: Two Lux Radio Theater broadcasts; Janet Gaynor and Robert Montgomery (9/13/37) Judy Garland and Walter Pidgeon (12/28/42) [audio only]; Classic WB cartoon- "A STAR IS HATCHED" (1938) (HD); Classic WB shorts: "MAL HALLETT & HIS ORCHESTRA" (1937) (HD); "TAKING THE COUNT" (1937) (HD); "ALIBI MARK" (1937) (HD); Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)
Producer David O. Selznick turned his attention to Hollywood with this 1937 original classic directed by William A. Wellman. Its Academy Award-winning screenplay co-written by Dorothy Parker tells the story of hopeful, young would-be actress Esther Blodgett (Academy Award winner Janet Gaynor) whose career is launched by movie star Norman Maine (Academy Award winner Fredric March), who also wins the young actress' heart. Esther becomes leading lady Vicki Lester and Mrs. Norman Maine, but as Maine's career flounders, he sinks into an abyss of alcoholism. Esther chooses to sacrifice her stardom to care for her husband, but he will not allow Esther to abandon her dreams for him. Remade three times in years ahead, this original version has finally undergone a meticulous restoration and has been remastered from its original nitrate Technicolor camera negatives, especially for this Warner Archive Blu-ray release. The result is a sterling presentation of a landmark in film history for this new restored edition.
Old 01-26-22, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Back to BROTHERS GRIMM for a moment, this trailer's been on YT for a while, and maybe even posted here previously, but it's worth a look:

The following 2 users liked this post by Brian T:
milo bloom (01-27-22), will travel (01-27-22)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.